The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

40 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Yes, Peruvian restaurant.

Very good reviews about it in Google, but I have never been yet.

CHICHA Restaurant and Hotel

https://g.page/chichapattaya?share

Also rooms for rent daily or monthly.

Well, good for them if they're still open but I have looked at their menu before and their actual offerings of actual Peruvian food (speaking as someone that has been there and loves the food) is quite limited.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Ups. My Spanish Google Maps wrote address in Spanish. ????

I hope that readers could understand it, despite the big difference in names. ????

I love the Spanish word for Thailand.

I remember there was an Asian food place near where I was hanging out in Buenos Aires, and they had a Tailandia style thin rice noodle dish that was simply wonderful. Not really like anything I've had here. Better. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Isn't it the Peruvian restaurants that do the gravy on the fries thing? 

(this is also done in the US south, but different gravy) 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I love the Spanish word for Thailand.

I remember there was an Asian food place near where I was hanging out in Buenos Aires, and they had a Tailandia style thin rice noodle dish that was simply wonderful. Not really like anything I've had here. Better. 

Yeah, before I moved here I was at a plant in CA, the Mexicans there always called it "Thailandia".

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Isn't it the Peruvian restaurants that do the gravy on the fries thing? 

(this is also done in the US south, but different gravy) 

Sounds more like Canadian Poutine than U.S. southern. But Peruvian Lomo Saltado does use fries.

Jollys 

British Thai Middle Eastern 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3901868-Reviews-Jolly_s_Hotel_and_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I've been  aware of Jollys for many years viewing it as just another humble budget British food joint on Soi Buakow. I've never eaten there.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offer a bunch of Middle Eastern dishes including more difficult to find Kibbeh. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh

There is obviously a Middle Eastern person behind this kitchen.

There was a promotion on Food Panda so I put together a nice little delivery mezze.

Kibbeh 160

Hummus 100

Baba Ghannoush with pomegranate 120

Arabic bread at 20 baht but I had some excellent flat bread at home so I used that. You do need bread for the dips as none included.

Overall I thought the food for my tastes was pretty good but not great.

The fried kibbeh was on the dry side but at least it wasn't greasy.

The hummus had lots of tahini.

The eggplant dish was more chunk style than mashed and the pomegranate was a welcome touch.

Other items on the menu include schwarma meats and a lamb shank with kabsa rice for 350.

I'm curious to try their lamb shank later.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Jollys 

British Thai Middle Eastern 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3901868-Reviews-Jolly_s_Hotel_and_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I've been  aware of Jollys for many years viewing it as just another humble budget British food joint on Soi Buakow. I've never eaten there.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offer a bunch of Middle Eastern dishes including more difficult to find Kibbeh. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh

There is obviously a Middle Eastern person behind this kitchen.

There was a promotion on Food Panda so I put together a nice little delivery mezze.

Kibbeh 160

Hummus 100

Baba Ghannoush with pomegranate 120

Arabic bread at 20 baht but I had some excellent flat bread at home so I used that. You do need bread for the dips as none included.

Overall I thought the food for my tastes was pretty good but not great.

The fried kibbeh was on the dry side but at least it wasn't greasy.

The hummus had lots of tahini.

The eggplant dish was more chunk style than mashed and the pomegranate was a welcome touch.

Other items on the menu include schwarma meats and an lamb shank with kabsa rice for 350.

I'm curious to try their lamb shank later.

I only cook about 4-5 things one of them being hummus......Homemade hummus puts restaurant hummus to shame, and it's easy to make too..... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I only cook about 4-5 things one of them being hummus......Homemade hummus puts restaurant hummus to shame, and it's easy to make too..... 

I also cook various dishes but haven't had the same positive experience that you've had cooking hummus.

The best tasting hummus that I've had here was at The Place.

https://hamakom-pattaya.com/

• Thanks 1

As mentioned before a Malaysian option 

Roti murtabek subaida

On Hungry Now app. Free delivery!

Location I think the Darkside

Limited hours.

Better to order for lunch as it seems items often sold out.

Most murtabeks are sweet ones 

One savory one is Chicken murtabek 55

OK. Not enough flavor in the filling. Comes with dipping stuff.

Stuffed bread with taro 45
Fantastically fluffy! Open in Manhattan and could be the next Cronuts.

Chinese Steamed chicken Dumplings 45

Meh. 

Double roti with chicken curry 140

Best thing on their menu. Delicious Malaysian taste and large portion. Chicken is on the bone. Highly recommended. The rotis are super fluffy. 

Muslim Mixed Salad with dressing 60

Very similar to Indonesian gado gado. Recommend but the dressing though flavorful is too sweet.

Not diet food.

In any case, definitely a real find and check out those low prices!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I also cook various dishes but haven't had the same positive experience that you've had cooking hummus.

The best tasting hummus that I've had here was at The Place.

https://hamakom-pattaya.com/

I have been past here a million times but never took notice before.......It looks good......I will for sure be trying this place out....Thanks

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I have been past here a million times but never took notice before.......It looks good......I will for sure be trying this place out....Thanks

Like most places these days I'm not really sure if they're currently open.

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Often eat in Chill opposite and did notice middle eastern influenced menu. Will try soon

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Often eat in Chill opposite and did notice middle eastern influenced menu. Will try soon

It's more than influence. It's an Israeli  food restaurant! No matzoh balls there (unfortunately).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Espanol said:

Peruvian? I think not. One or two dishes on the menu does not Peruvian make.

They probably have more Mexican style dishes than Peruvian style.

They describe it as "Latino & Mexican", Thai & Russian.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Peruvian? I think not. One or two dishes on the menu does not Peruvian make.

They probably have more Mexican style dishes than Peruvian style.

They describe it as "Latino & Mexican", Thai & Russian.

Unfortunately I have to agree. It's not really a Peruvian restaurant. Pattaya lacks that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Unfortunately I have to agree. It's not really a Peruvian restaurant. Pattaya lacks that.

Unfortunately??

Anyway, without Tiger's Milk Ceviche and Causa on the menu; it really doesn't qualify. 

They have to sell what is known to their customers; Russians and Norwegians at a guess, when busy.

A shame, since one can source most of the relevant ingredients quite easily. Others can be substituted successfully.

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Unfortunately??

Anyway, without Tiger's Milk Ceviche and Causa on the menu; it really doesn't qualify. 

They have to sell what is known to their customers; Russians and Norwegians at a guess, when busy.

A shame, since one can source most of the relevant ingredients quite easily. Others can be substituted successfully.

Why are you asking me about unfortunately? 

Obviously because I would most definitely WANT there to be a Peruvian restaurant in town, but UNFORTUNATELY there is not. Clear enough, now? 

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Why are you asking me about unfortunately? 

Obviously because I would most definitely WANT there to be a Peruvian restaurant in town, but UNFORTUNATELY there is not. Clear enough, now? 

I asked about it as this is an English language forum and your first language is English.

If you meant that it is unfortunate that there is no Peruvian restaurant in Pattaya, then that is what you should have written; but you didn't.

What you actually wrote, was that it was unfortunate that you have to agree with me. Clear now?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

I asked about it as this is an English language forum and your first language is English.

If you meant that it is unfortunate that there is no Peruvian restaurant in Pattaya, then that is what you should have written; but you didn't.

What you actually wrote, was that it was unfortunate that you have to agree with me. Clear now?

No. My intended meaning was obvious. Dude, there is no need to fabricate conflicts just for sport. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 6:52 AM, DannyCarlton said:

A (Spanish potatoes) tortilla should always be cooked in olive oil.

I fully agree. And, as is to be expected, I know about it. Actually, I often cook them at home.

TortillaPatatas.jpg.c4c17eaad4f0ead85e97fb6c26b68d62.jpg

Edited by Espanol

OK, so sometimes I make a juicy meat packed burger myself. And although the burger and bun is easy enough, I can always appreciate the sauce/ French fries / combo's that some great burger joints manage to put together

I liked prime burger when it was sit in, 

Any other recommendations that I should try out??

Thanks

2 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

OK, so sometimes I make a juicy meat packed burger myself. And although the burger and bun is easy enough, I can always appreciate the sauce/ French fries / combo's that some great burger joints manage to put together

I liked prime burger when it was sit in, 

Any other recommendations that I should try out??

Thanks

I used to go to Jim's Burger until i discovered Prime.

Owner is a really nice guy too.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) at KFC Thailand?

https://www.facebook.com/kfcth/videos/884480665614166/

Well, yes, sort of.

Lured by a deeply discounted set on Grab (4 legs and 2 wings). I added mashed potatoes to which I added some home cooked green vegetables. 

My baseline standard for Korean fried chicken is Bonchon chicken which is authentically super crispy with a choice of flavors and not sitting in a pool of wet sauce, but unfortunately expensive. 

I'm not going to say I hated KFC at KFC, but for me it didn't meet my standard. The chicken pieces were quite breaded unlike Bonchon and lacked the trademark super crispy chicken skin bite. They were served in a pool of red sauce which for me was not hot spicy enough and a little too sweet. I liked the legs much better than the very fatty wings (even not the greatest fried chicken is still fried chicken), which I didn't finish. 

Overall, it was a pleasant enough obesity promoting meal but I won't be in a rush to repeat. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Taco Tuesdays at May's

Tepprasit Road Jomtien 

As many know May's is a modern gourmet-ish restaurant that does stylized versions of Thai food. 

On Tuesdays they are offering tacos. Anyone that knows May's will not expect purist authentic Mexican tacos but instead May's take on tacos.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1771321033059660&id=298381387020306

Indeed that's what it is.  I would describe the style roughly as healthy California style. Not Cal Mex. 

There is a choice of tortilla types. I chose soft corn.

The meat choices are pork, chicken, shrimp, and fish.  69 and 79.

I tried the latter three.

The tacos are served in a kind of taco bowl format. As there is so much salad you can't really pick these up to eat.

I preferred the shrimp and fish to the chicken with is dry and shredded. The fish is small pieces fried. The shrimp are nice sized and cleaned no shell not fried. 

The amount of cheese is minimal. Perfect for me considering Mexican tacos don't have any cheese. 

Each taco comes with three salsas. Red, green, and avocado based.

The spice bite is low but I pimped  it up with Chipotle hot sauce at home and also sliced fresh avocado which I used instead of their avocado sauce. Be clear it wasn't guacamole. 

An odd feature was an occasional bite of something sweet perhaps raisins.

A very nice small bottle of fresh passionfruit juice was included.

Order four and get free delivery if near the restaurant.

May's tacos will NOT satisfy a craving for authentic Mexican tacos or for Tex Mex either.

But I feel they are quite good for what they are and reasonably priced as well.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1