The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

The one on 2nd St?  If it was, a sad loss.  They had very good priced breakfasts for many years.

Yes. It's shocking. The place had soul too. The staff was mostly exceptional.

As far as I know they are not relocating.

• Like 1

http://www.boatbakery.com/about/aboutus.html

Boat bakery History

The Boat Shop was established by the Penkul Family in 1970 (1970) on the beach of Pattaya Beach, South Pattaya Road 1. Which is the source of the bakery shop. By providing food and bakery services to tourists who come to sea. And general customers on Pattaya beach from When the business Expansion has moved to 194 / 11-14 South Pattaya 2nd Road, Banglamung, Pattaya, Chonburi, which is the current location.

Boat Shop Bangkok Founded by Mr. Somnuk and Mr. Vachira Penkulkul in 1978, after the opening of the Pattaya Boat Shop for 8 years. Dear Bangkok Changed its name to BOAT'S BAKERY to accommodate the different needs of customers.

The Hat Yai Beach Bakery opened on January 3, 1980 (1980). When Wachira was married to Sompong Ngan, she opened the Boat Shop. Another night at 200 / 10-11 Niphat Uthit 2 Road, Hat Yai, Songkhla.

Boat Shop Chiang Mai was opened in 1981 to expand its business from Boat Shop Pattaya at 237 / 11-14 Huay Kaew Rd. Thep Muang district, Chiang Mai 50200

history.jpg

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

I passed the Boat Bakery quite often without giving it so much as a second glance. I never went in and tried the food. Sad to see any business close; especially one of such long standing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Must be going on 30 years the Boat has been in that location.

Used to be simply known as 'Boat'.

Sorry, was never a fan .... a "you get what you pay for" type place IMO.

The pad krapow gai phet phet pisset kai dow mai suk was fantastic. 

Cheap doesn't always mean not great. Not saying all or most of their dishes were but that one was. 

Visited Boat on my first trip to Thailand as a tourist. Last century. 

Edited by Jingthing

Regarding Boat shop, I tried their breakfast once and was not impressed.  Yes you get what you pay for but many better options in Pattaya with similar prices . 

8 minutes ago, balo said:

Regarding Boat shop, I tried their breakfast once and was not impressed.  Yes you get what you pay for but many better options in Pattaya with similar prices . 

Thanks for the post mortem review.

I never got the western food there and wasn't tempting by what I saw, only the Thai.

I did notice the western food was very popular there even among Thais because it was cheap but like I said their pad krapow was so, so good. The waiters knew me as the pad krapow guy. Also enjoyed their yam woonsen with squid. 

It was also a hangout and people watching type place being near the nightlife area, and cheap. 

Yes, I can see it's getting morbid to discuss food in a closed restaurant, but this place was really was so old and such a scene, that I consider it HISTORIC. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Historic
Closing
Very very sad.

Boat bakery
2nd road
near Boyztown

Word is the building was sold.
A big loss.
Epic pad Krapow.

Historic, yes. Fond memories of eating there many years ago, with some special company, when I lived in South Pattaya. Never any problems.

Then out of the blue I happened to be in the neighborhood a couple months ago and decided to stop in for old time's sake. The aftermath was most unpleasant for a couple of days. Couldn't believe it. So I'd already said my good-bye forever to Boat. Still, it would have been nice to see it remain there as it always has been for as long as I remember.

Edited by JSixpack

42 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Another snobby, snidey, somewhat off topic post by the so called Expert, who would be up in arms if it had came from someone else.

Of course, it once again just shows his ignorance of the food served around Pattaya, especially at some of the older establishments.

I don't know Walking Street well at all, and I generally don't eat at restaurants on that street, though there are some places near there that I know about.

Obviously, lots of people DO eat on Walking Street, as well as on the dark side, where I also don't go.

This thread is about coverage of restaurants in the entire greater Pattaya area.

Obviously not only about places that I personally go. 

Do they serve food there at what you called a bar, or not?

I'll ignore your personal attack garbage.

Edited by Jingthing

47 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Historic, yes. Fond memories of eating there many years ago, with some special company, when I lived in South Pattaya. Never any problems.

Then out of the blue I happened to be in the neighborhood a couple months ago and decided to stop in for old time's sake. The aftermath was most unpleasant for a couple of days. Couldn't believe it. So I'd already said my good-bye forever to Boat. Still, it would have been nice to see it remain there as it always has been for as long as I remember.

The honest truth is that for some weird reason I stopped going there. If you're suggesting there was a decline (that happens) I never experienced it. I figured, well, that place is a landmark, it will always be there when I feel like eating there again (for their amazing pad krapow mostly). Goes to show, don't take stuff (or people) for granted! 

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

For someone that ate in Pattaya Restaurants "last century" the ignorance is incredible.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. 

This thread isn't about me asserting that I know everything about Pattaya area restaurants. I have never claimed that.

It's a thread for ALL that want to participate in SHARING information/reviews, etc. about Pattaya area restaurants. 

Please post about the restaurants and leave your twisted personal attack baggage out of it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Comment from the O.P. of this thread. 
Me. 

Please keep to the topic of this thread.

Local Pattaya area restaurants.

There have been some very aggressive efforts to either take it off topic or make this thread about personal attacks on the O.P.  

Me.

What that means, sooner or later, is that this thread is at a real risk of becoming too much of a MAINTENANCE issue from the POV of the management here.

You know what happens to threads like that? New or very old threads?

They get closed. 

Just like Boat Bakery, there is no guarantee this thread will continue.

The strong reason I think this thread is worth a fight to SAVE is that without this thread every time someone might want to make a small comment about a Pattaya area restaurant, they either won't make it because it's not worth a new thread, or start a new thread on a topic that probably isn't worthy of a new thread. So both lost information and food thread glut.

So, with that in mind, I ask that people of GOOD WILL please continue to support this thread  with mostly ON TOPIC and non-trollish posts, so that it can still live. Without that support, say bye bye. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Unbelievably arrogant.

That's fine that you think that.

If your only purpose here is to trash me, have you considered not posting here?

I recall that a while ago you threatened to stop posting on this thread, and my response was, that's your choice (just like anyone) and that would be fine.

It's still fine. 

Again, to people of good will that DO find value in the information that has been shared on this thread over the years, and hopefully can continue in future, that is at risk. Just keeping it real. 

I would never request that this thread be closed. But just letting people know that threads that become too much bother to clean up, DO tend to get closed. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, TaaSaparot said:

And why was that ?

Ah, it was more snidey off topic remarks directed at me by yourself.

PM me please.

Do you think the readers deserve for their time to be wasted with this garbage?

Just now, TaaSaparot said:

There was no need to, as anyone who ate in Pattaya "last century" knew that.

Still does not explain the snidey remark directed at me.

There was a need.

You're still pursuing this idiocy that I've ever asserted that I know everything. Never have. Never will.

Also it's not only about me at all. It's about the readers.

You said BAR. People can't read minds. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Now back to the type of post that this thread is supposed to be all about!:partytime2:

GUMBO HOUSE

(previously mentioned by another but this is about my visit)

Cajun Seafood Restaurant and Bar

New Orleans / Lousiana style food of course but also Thai food.

Jomtien Beach road (far out)

It's a long walk south (but doable if you like to walk) from the last place baht buses stop, which is at Chayuphreuk.

The restaurant is near The Aeras condo

Map here:

https://goo.gl/maps/wbtiP6yLCVw

Hours -- Open DAILY, 11 am to 9 pm

What a delightful little restaurant with of course spectacular sea views.:post-4641-1156694572:

One doesn't expect world class New Orleans / Lousiana style food in Pattaya, but overall based on the two dishes I tried, they are making a serviceable effort, and it should satisfy a craving for those that know the food, and something "exotic" for others. No, the food won't ever replace a trip to Lousiana, but what did you expect? My context for my comments is that I do have some (not massive) experience eating world class food of this type, in New Orleans and elsewhere. 

(Even cooked by the famous deceased chef Paul Prudhomme, sorry name dropping is so crass.)

Had the red beans and rice, 150 and the seafood gumbo, 180.

Served with meh garlic bread and a "lagniappe" of a very nice potato salad (free taste). 

Might seem like a big order, but I was hungry, and it wasn't really too much food. 

The red beans and rice was satisfying. I don't think strictly authentic but certainly very pleasant. The sausage surely not the authentic Andouille style, but still worked in the dish. 

The seafood gumbo featured limited chunks of shellfish in a too bland, but still authentic enough tasting sauce. I'm assuming they cooked a real "roux" a key to this cooking, based on the flavor.

A great thing about the gumbo is that there was GUMBO FILE powder on the table which is typically added to the soup after cooking to add more flavor. Surprising to see that here! Make sure you use it for flavor. It makes a big difference. It's not a hot spicy thing but a FLAVOR thing. 

Other dishes from the New Orleans menu include jambalaya (rice mixture with seafood), chicken/sausage gumbo, the classic shrimp etoufee which another member found good, and Po Boy sandwiches made with fried seafood (even had a shrimp stir fry sandwich which isn't authentic). 

One really cool thing about their menu is that you can get their New Orleans / Lousiana style standards in three different sizes! So you can taste a bunch of stuff. Appetizer size, side dish size, and of course main course size (as I ordered). Not for the Po Boys though. 

This isn't a "rave review" by any means, but I am certainly well pleased that this place exists here, and do plan on visiting again. That's sometimes the ultimate measure, is it good enough to want to visit again. 

Also consider the rarity of this food style here and the sea view, the price levels seem to me more than reasonable. No plus plus. 

I am kind of surprised that they don't have Cajun BLACKENED fish on the menu. 

For food nerds ... Cajun vs. Creole. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/cajun-vs-creole_b_1447822.html

Last but not least.

Pictures.

IMG_20170602_173154.jpg.f6efdf477b3c29ac54c34c61a86f237b.jpg

IMG_20170602_164857.jpg.c0bac648f9234b6703e49e7111222957.jpg

IMG_20170602_173138.jpg.f8a700286f0a64a904b0c1b887eaf858.jpg

I for one am sceptical that a deceased chef can be that good at cooking :smile:

• Like 1

LE BISTROT

French food on a budget inside Rompho Market

Jomtien 2nd road / Soi 5 (near immigration)

The French food items are very limited and there is also a Thai food menu.

The prices are quite low for French food.

So far I've tried the pot au feu and the mussels.

Mussels are offered with a variety of sauce choices.

They are served with frittes (no bread).

The pot au feu (classic French beef in broth dish) is served with toasted bread. About 169 (?).

The pot au feu broth was too fatty for my taste but otherwise very pleasant.

Presumably Thai beef. The marrow in the marrow bone in it (traditional) seemed to have a strange color so I didn't really eat that. I'm not a huge marrow fan anyway. The toasted bread pieces were wonderful for dipping in the broth and soaking it up. A shame that the broth was so fatty. 

Loved the mussels dish I had. Moulles provincial 169.

I tried their starter vegetable salad. It was pedestrian but was served with a nice French dressing. 59

One of the pleasures of living in Thailand. Serviceable French food for such low prices. :post-4641-1156694572:

Noticing the Thai food on another table, that looked quite good as well. I definitely want to sample their Thai food in future. 

Food nerd alert -- The origin of Vietnamese Pho is French Pot Au Feu. 

The beef:

romphofrench2.jpg.7a61518af941586cfc138441e2dd1c49.jpg

The mussels:

romphofrench.jpg.a45b8772c612f5365677b0671fa1b54e.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, champers said:

Did you not have a crepe? Or did you have one before you went out?

I didn't notice crepes on their menu, actually.

My preferred dessert when I feel like dessert is Thai fruit. 

There is that restaurant on 3rd road that has an actual savory French crepe menu. I posted about it before.

LE PARROT'S RESTAURANT.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7811369-Reviews-Parrot_s_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Mystery BEEF restaurant

twi.jpg.0880ef745faf8cba16b6fe1eba525529.jpg

I noticed this odd little BEEF restaurant from a car.

It's on 3rd road, west side, not very far south of Pattaya Klang.

I know nothing more about it but I think I saw people inside. Doing what? Can't say. 

Mysterious, dodgy looking people, could be ALIENS.

What's happening in there? Help solve the mystery!

(If you dare.)

IMG_20170430_173403.jpg.aa48e518db59bd34136930995cb413d9.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

LE BISTROT

French food on a budget inside Rompho Market

Jomtien 2nd road / Soi 5 (near immigration)

The French food items are very limited and there is also a Thai food menu.

The prices are quite low for French food.

So far I've tried the pot au feu and the mussels.

Mussels are offered with a variety of sauce choices.

They are served with frittes (no bread).

The pot au feu (classic French beef in broth dish) is served with toasted bread. About 169 (?).

The pot au feu broth was too fatty for my taste but otherwise very pleasant.

Presumably Thai beef. The marrow in the marrow bone in it (traditional) seemed to have a strange color so I didn't really eat that. I'm not a huge marrow fan anyway. The toasted bread pieces were wonderful for dipping in the broth and soaking it up. A shame that the broth was so fatty. 

Loved the mussels dish I had. Moulles provincial 169.

I tried their starter vegetable salad. It was pedestrian but was served with a nice French dressing. 59

One of the pleasures of living in Thailand. Serviceable French food for such low prices. :post-4641-1156694572:

Noticing the Thai food on another table, that looked quite good as well. I definitely want to sample their Thai food in future. 

Food nerd alert -- The origin of Vietnamese Pho is French Pot Au Feu. 

The beef:

romphofrench2.jpg.7a61518af941586cfc138441e2dd1c49.jpg

The mussels:

romphofrench.jpg.a45b8772c612f5365677b0671fa1b54e.jpg

Very interesting and cheap but I cannot find it on facebook or tripadvisor, they do not have a website ?

I find so weird that you want to go there again to try Thai food.  What is the purpose of eating Thai food in French restaurant.

9 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Very interesting and cheap but I cannot find it on facebook or tripadvisor, they do not have a website ?

I find so weird that you want to go there again to try Thai food.  What is the purpose of eating Thai food in French restaurant.

You might be surprised how many decent restaurants don't bother with facebook or tripadvisor. 

I consider all that irrelevant if the food is appealing and well priced.

As far as Thai food at this place, it's smack in the middle of a Thai produce market (fresh!), well priced, the chef is Thai, and like I said the Thai food looked really good on another table.

I do get your point though. At many western restaurants the Thai food is on the menu mostly for the Thai partners, and it's usually overpriced.

That all said, please avoid making this into a general discussion about facebook, tripadvisor, or Thai food in western restaurants.

The purpose of THIS thread is to focus on SPECIFIC Pattaya area restaurants. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Jingthing