Road Deaths Down Over First Two Days

Lite Beer

SEVEN DANGEROUS DAYS

Road deaths down over first two days

The Nation on Sunday December 30, 2012 1:00 am

30197026-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The road accident casualties reached 71 deaths and 826 injuries in the first two days of the "seven dangerous days" of the New Year holiday period - lower than last year's records, the Road Safety Directing Centre said yesterday.

Probation Department chief Ruenwadee Suwanmongkol said that, on December 28 alone, there were 495 accidents killing 38 people and wounding 504 others. She said Lampang province had the highest number of accidents (24) and injured (24 people), while Khon Kaen and Chon Buri had the most deaths at three each.

More than 66,400 officials manned 2,342 main checkpoints, arresting 95,402 law-violating motorists - mostly for failing to present a driver's licence and failing to wear a helmet while riding motorcycles, she said.

For the first two days of the "Seven Dangerous Days" (December 27-28), Ruenwadee said there were 809 accidents, down from 955 last year, with the cumulative death toll at 71 (lower than last year’s 94 deaths) and the cumulative injuries at 826 (down from at 1,051 cases last year).

The most deaths - four each - were reported in Chiang Mai, Chon Buri and Bangkok, while Chiang Mai also had the most cumulative accidents at 39 cases and the most injuries at 37 persons.

Only five provinces - Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Yasothon, Sri Sa Ket and Nong Khai - did not report any road accident.

The biggest cause of accidents at 33 per cent was drunk driving, followed by speeding at 20.5 per cent. Motorcycles were most involved in accidents at 83 per cent. The period when accidents occurred most frequently from 4pm to 8pm, followed by 8pm until midnight. More than half of the deaths - 56 per cent - were adults of working age, followed by teenagers under 20 years old at 23 per cent, while 8 per cent of deaths were children under 15.

Meanwhile, holidaymakers continued to travel upcountry and Nakhon Ratchasima, the gateway to the Northeast, saw heavy traffic on Mitraphab Highway. Travelling the 256 kilometres from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima took at least six hours, instead of the usual three hours 30 minutes.

Transport Co Ltd said 14,448 passengers took 751 "air-con" bus trips from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima on Friday alone.

In Sa Kaew's Ta Phraya district, a traffic jam was so bad in Chong Tako area that cars were bumper to bumper for 10 kilometres at 3am yesterday, prompting officials to open a shortcut to Chong Ta Kiew Road, which ran along the border and was 20 kilometres longer to reach Buri Ram.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-30

So much for this year's Zero Traffic Deaths campaign. What boggles my mind is: How there can be so many crashes caused by drunk drivers if they restricted the hours people can buy alcohol? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

its called stock piling.
  • Like 1

So much for this year's Zero Traffic Deaths campaign. What boggles my mind is: How there can be so many crashes caused by drunk drivers if they restricted the hours people can buy alcohol? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

There is a difference between the time that booze is bought and when it is drunk. Sometimes a couple of beers lay dormant in my refrigerator for a day or three. The time difference is what makes the 'no selling booze hours' so ridiculous.

I recognise that your post is a statement of irony but wonder if rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif might have been more appropriate than cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Just saying, up to you.

Edited by Bagwan

Since most of the accidents were caused by drunk driving, why are the police concentrating on people without a license or without a helmet? Sure, these things contribute to accidents, but surly doing alcohol test would be top priority at this time of the year. If you get caught without helmet or license, you just pay your 400 baht and continue on your merry way, how does that reduce accidents? Looks like the police are concentrating on things where they make the most money.

• Like 2

2011    Total        Daily            2012    Total        Daily    
Day    Deaths    Injuries Deaths    Injuries      Day    Deaths    Injuries    Deaths    Injuries
1     34      501      34      501         1     33      322      33      322 
2     94      1,051      60      550         2     71      826      38      504 
3     165      1,782      71      731         3     148      1,362      77      536 
4     241      2,382      76      600         4         
5     282      2,783      41      401         5         
6     314      3,166      32      383         6         
7     358      3,750      44      584         7        

Edited by whybother

I find it hard to believe that the death toll isn't in the hundreds...if not thousands already - I had to drive back home to the north east from Pattaya on Friday, and xxxx me...I've never seen anything like it. I've worked and driven in some of the most hostile environments on the planet and none of them prepared me for that. I did plan to have a big old rant and rave about it on here, but to be honest - whats the point? No one actually gives a t*ss, so why should we...? It would be very nice to think that anyone who can actually do anything about it all even reads this, let alone care what the hell we think, but I guess neither are the case. The one statistsic I find quite depressing is that such a high percentage of those 'murdered' were under the age of 15. Sad....all very, very sad.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

I'm a wimp. I've never actually driven here and the only time I taxi any distance is to and from the airport.

My wimpishness came about after a taxi trip from Pattaya back to Bkk. I have never experienced anything like it.

I was blessed with a young driver about 21 I would guess. He thought he was Michael Shumaker and he passed other vehicles in any lane that opened up to him. His rear view mirror might as well have not been there. He was a danger to us and others and how we didn't crash into something a couple of times I'll never know.Terrifying. He spoke no English but my Thai was sufficient to ask him to slow down at regular intervals which he did for two or three minutes before hitting the peddle again.

I asked for a toilet break, he remained in the car. When I returned he was drinking a can of beer.

When I got back to my apartment I was literally shaking and had to hit the fridge.

This wimp now gets a train.

Edited by Beechboy
  • Like 1

There is a difference between the time that booze is bought and when it is drunk. Sometimes a couple of beers lay dormant in my refrigerator for a day or three. The time difference is what makes the 'no selling booze hours' so ridiculous.

I recognise that your post is a statement of irony but wonder if rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif might have been more appropriate than cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Just saying, up to you.

Actually the logic of not selling booze at certain times does as much to curb drinking as not talking about sex does to curb unwanted pregnanciesrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

The alcohol sales restrictions is a Thai law aimed at Thai people, mainly schoolchildren apparently. Fair enough.

The problem is it inconveniences us lot a bit and tourists who do not know how to get round it. The irony of it is that Thais always know where to get booze anytime they want.

Daft restriction IMO, but it's not my country, it's theirs.

They buy alcohol long before they travel, keep it in the house as they save it up, then they have plenty to take with them.

Because no one follows the laws here and it can be bought anywhere. The only ones who might stop a person from buying are the large box stores.....lol

I find it hard to believe that the death toll isn't in the hundreds...if not thousands already - I had to drive back home to the north east from Pattaya on Friday, and <deleted> me...I've never seen anything like it. I've worked and driven in some of the most hostile environments on the planet and none of them prepared me for that. I did plan to have a big old rant and rave about it on here, but to be honest - whats the point? No one actually gives a t*ss, so why should we...? It would be very nice to think that anyone who can actually do anything about it all even reads this, let alone care what the hell we think, but I guess neither are the case. The one statistsic I find quite depressing is that such a high percentage of those 'murdered' were under the age of 15. Sad....all very, very sad.

Well until a well known person w/fam got in charge here (some 12 years ago the road toll numbers for both Songkran and New Year was usually in the 700 -1200 range. Now lets hope and pray that it is their good work with manage the people which have made a 50% + improvement and not their gift with numbers which have brought up the numbers we see today!

Last night my wife and I were invited to a new years party, I saw drunk drivers stumbling to thier cars and driving off, but the thing that surprised me most was seeing kids, the oldest no older than 14 being given wine coolers to drink, the parents and grandparents are teaching the kids bad habits from a young age.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I'm a wimp. I've never actually driven here and the only time I taxi any distance is to and from the airport.

My wimpishness came about after a taxi trip from Pattaya back to Bkk. I have never experienced anything like it.

I was blessed with a young driver about 21 I would guess. He thought he was Michael Shumaker and he passed other vehicles in any lane that opened up to him. His rear view mirror might as well have not been there. He was a danger to us and others and how we didn't crash into something a couple of times I'll never know.Terrifying. He spoke no English but my Thai was sufficient to ask him to slow down at regular intervals which he did for two or three minutes before hitting the peddle again.

I asked for a toilet break, he remained in the car. When I returned he was drinking a can of beer.

When I got back to my apartment I was literally shaking and had to hit the fridge.

This wimp now gets a train.

Hi

If it makes you feel any better, i am a WIMP too.. it scares me big time driving here, or even getting in any form of transport.. but needs must..

I find it hard to believe that the death toll isn't in the hundreds...if not thousands already - I had to drive back home to the north east from Pattaya on Friday, and xxxx me...I've never seen anything like it. I've worked and driven in some of the most hostile environments on the planet and none of them prepared me for that. I did plan to have a big old rant and rave about it on here, but to be honest - whats the point? No one actually gives a t*ss, so why should we...? It would be very nice to think that anyone who can actually do anything about it all even reads this, let alone care what the hell we think, but I guess neither are the case. The one statistsic I find quite depressing is that such a high percentage of those 'murdered' were under the age of 15. Sad....all very, very sad.

I am in agreeance 100% .I drove to Burirum first time from Pattaya left Sat morn 5am . 9 hours it took ,I have never witnessed anything like this in my life! Seemed everyone was in a mad rush . A single lane highway slowing down congested no problem idiots start using the overtaking on coming traffic lane but not just one there was a car behind that ,and behind that,and again ect...ect so many that the oncoming couldn't move to many outgoing but gets better they start on the left shoulder of me one after another and again and again till that too becomes a standstill. No sign of Police anywhere . I am a careful driver with family and infant in my car driving as one sposed to in the left lane of a single lane highway, now I ,m sandwiched from both sides and can't move at all and trying to be forced subserviant to all the dickheads who impatiently are in the normally overtaking lane forcing themselves back in . This is a joke I witness one big accident where one clipped another whilst returning from overtyaking at very high speeds The car was a dual cab vigo with occupants unrestrained in the back fortunately they were thrown clear upon the first roll ,The car Finished on its roof no visible space for the crushed driver in the mangled mess. I am not travelling in prime time periods again . Police ? What Police ? Speed Signs? Where? Any road discipline sorry folks NONE don;t be fooled your on your own wit when you venture out . These people just don't care least about you or worse still themselves ......its more than sad its ........its beyond words .Let me tell you I was on very high alert coming back ...Never again!

Last night my wife and I were invited to a new years party, I saw drunk drivers stumbling to thier cars and driving off, but the thing that surprised me most was seeing kids, the oldest no older than 14 being given wine coolers to drink, the parents and grandparents are teaching the kids bad habits from a young age.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Quiet obvious the parents don't really want the kids .Its a polite way of perhaps letting them go ????? Well sorry you can't tell me they're showing their love for the safety of them can you. So the're politely saying goodbye and hoping they also trim the population a bit ....helps all .The stats mean nothing ,not only are they under quoted ,its just a figure to give the media something to talk about . No increased presence of Law enforcement . I even heard if caught drunk sit by your vehicle till sober then pay fine and off you go back to the racetrack only this time can't get done for the same offence if still have the ticket. The answer is to have action from the powers to be .....Our voices are no power. Farang shut up we know best.