U K Cautions Citizens After Koh Phangan Killing: Thailand

webfact

SURAT THANI

UK cautions citizens after Pha-ngan killing

KORNCHANOK RAKSASERI,

SOMCHAI SAMART

THE NATION

30197148-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The British ambassador has warned his countrymen to exercise caution when travelling in Thailand, following the killing of a British tourist by a stray bullet at a New Year's beach party on the popular island of Pha-ngan.

"There are risks in going anywhere and I think Thailand is certainly not completely trouble-free," Mark Kent said in an interview with UK-based Sky News on Tuesday night.

He urged British tourists to check out the travel advice on the embassy's website.

However, the embassy has not issued any statement about the matter.

Kent tweeted to The Nation yesterday that he would go to Surat Thani today and meet with local authorities.

The victim's parents will travel from England to Pha-ngan to take custody of their son's body, according to Pha-ngan police, who were informed about their arrival by the British Embassy.

Stockbroker Stephen Ashton, 22, was killed when a Thai man opened fire during a bar brawl in the early hours of Tuesday. The Brit was shot accidentally while dancing and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Ekkapun Klaewkla, 26, who was arrested hours after the shooting, was taken to the scene by police for re-enactment of the crime but it was washed out by rain.

The suspect confessed to firing the fatal shot, telling police his group was outnumbered by its rivals during a fight so he decided to use his home-made gun to protect himself.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-03

related topic

Thailand Shooting: How Could My Son's Life Be Taken So Recklessly?: Stephen Ashton's Family

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major news in Australia also, heres a link to the re enactment. actually two stories in this clip.

http://news.ninemsn....death-in-phuket

The suspect has quite a contented smug smile on his face, probably thinking nothing will come of it as it was just an accident. My condolences to the family.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

Why do our ambassadors seem so gutless ?! , it's time to warn people how dangerous thailand REALLY .... is , <deleted> to who he may or may not upset , sure there are "risks" in going anywhere, ....wonderful statement , ...like we didn't know travel can be dangerous , ...no sh*t sherlock ! no guts to tell the British tourist its like the wild west here now ? , what you scared of ? loosing some business , sure , the govt coffers come 1st .......the russians told e'm in no uncertain terms to clean up there act , whats the matter Mr Kent , you need mummy to hold your hand ?...........PATHETIC !...........GIVE A WARNING TO ALL BRIT TRAVELERS , we are becoming cannon fodder for thai gangsters <deleted>

HMG does warn travellers visiting Thailand, but do not know if the website is advertised in UK media outlets. Specifically "Western tourists have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by gangs in Koh Phangan. These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Koh Phangan". Source at

http://ukinthailand....s/travel-advice

EDIT: As evidenced by many posts on TV, the usual response to government is yeah, yeah, nanny state, not going to happen to me...

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Why do our ambassadors seem so gutless ?! , it's time to warn people how dangerous thailand REALLY .... is , <deleted> to who he may or may not upset , sure there are "risks" in going anywhere, ....wonderful statement , ...like we didn't know travel can be dangerous , ...no sh*t sherlock ! no guts to tell the British tourist its like the wild west here now ? , what you scared of ? loosing some business , sure , the govt coffers come 1st .......the russians told e'm in no uncertain terms to clean up there act , whats the matter Mr Kent , you need mummy to hold your hand ?...........PATHETIC !...........GIVE A WARNING TO ALL BRIT TRAVELERS , we are becoming cannon fodder for thai gangsters <deleted>

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice

Edited by evadgib

What a stupid piece of advice from our Embassy. How can someone be cautious of dancing on a beach and anticipating a gun fight or infact any situation in any location.

In fact I cant think of one thing that anyone can do to "be cautious" as they put it. There is danger everywhere which cannot be anticipated and for sure one cannot prepare for all the time. And what will "checking travel advice" do ?!! after an event like this. Is the travel advice that Brits should not go to that beach, not go to that island, not come to Thailand or are they saying wear bullet proof vests !!

Just a cheap punchline from what I think is a terrible Embassy for more than one reason. A comment that does no help whatsoever to either the current event or to protect against future events.

What they should do is their duty towards a deceased British national and not giving bad or undefined advice to the rest of us or potential tourists.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Oh come on. You are way over the top on this. There are obviously some safety issues related to Thailand, but foreign governments have all provided the necessary cautions and advisories. it is up to the individual visitor to exercise sober judgement. Do you really think that if the warning was any stronger, visitors would listen? The likelihood of a random killing like this is remote and probably far less than back in the UK. A foreign government cannot do any more than what has been done, unless you want the UK to send warships and a garrison to protect its citizens when they go drinking? On one hand we have people complaining of the nanny state and then we have people complaining there is not enough nanny state. If you really want the nasty truth, any prudent sentient person would give koh Phagnan a pass, and yet hundreds of thousands do not. If the visitor doesn't want to be cautious there is nothing the UK government can do. The warnings are all over the place.

I agree, which is the reason why I think that if all an Embassy can do after an event like this is give unproductive advice such as "be careful" then it should just not bother. "be careful" can apply to anywhere and does not help in the slightest. Only knowing or being prewarned of a very generic danger in a vast area does not help you at all in preventing possible situations.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 2

Oh come on. You are way over the top on this. There are obviously some safety issues related to Thailand, but foreign governments have all provided the necessary cautions and advisories. it is up to the individual visitor to exercise sober judgement. Do you really think that if the warning was any stronger, visitors would listen? The likelihood of a random killing like this is remote and probably far less than back in the UK. A foreign government cannot do any more than what has been done, unless you want the UK to send warships and a garrison to protect its citizens when they go drinking? On one hand we have people complaining of the nanny state and then we have people complaining there is not enough nanny state. If you really want the nasty truth, any prudent sentient person would give koh Phagnan a pass, and yet hundreds of thousands do not. If the visitor doesn't want to be cautious there is nothing the UK government can do. The warnings are all over the place.

I agree, which is the reason why I think that if all an Embassy can do after an event like this is give unproductive advice such as "be careful" then it should just not bother. "be careful" can apply to anywhere and does not help in the slightest. Only knowing or being prewarned of a very generic danger in a vast area does not help you at all in preventing possible situations.

As quoted above HMG has provided a very specific warning via FCO travel advisory website, repeated below. It is impossible to avoid any possibility of danger, even in the U.K.

"Western tourists have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by gangs in Koh Phangan. These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Koh Phangan".

Edited by simple1

As quoted above HMG has provided a very specific warning via FCO travel advisory website, repeated below. It is impossible to avoid any possibility of danger, even in the U.K.

"Western tourists have been victims of vicious, unprovoked attacks by gangs in Koh Phangan. These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Koh Phangan".

Cant make out from that which side you are on but even if that advise sounds good then I still question the effect or productivity. There are only really 2 things that someone can do off the back of that advice.........either not come to Thailand at all or somehow behave or prepare differently while they are here. Not coming to Thailand wont hardly ever be an option unless the person concerned is an extremely paranoid person or if the general feeling is really really bad (like mass waves of public crime and break out). And of course no one can be in preparation while they are here all of the time in anticipation of a violent situation.

All in all its bad and not very productive advice and I suspect just the normal PR that the British Embassy try to come out with when they cant do anything, which I accept they cant and dont blame them but dont try to pretend you care and you are helping by coming out with PR rubbish that is more damaging. As with many other things that happen in Thailand the British Embassy is quite poor in its performance. I only need to remind readers of how they advised and reported the Red Shirts in Bangkok.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Cant make out from that which side you are on but even if that advise sounds good then I still question the effect or productivity. There are only really 2 things that someone can do off the back of that advice.........either not come to Thailand at all or somehow behave or prepare differently while they are here. Not coming to Thailand wont hardly ever be an option unless the person concerned is an extremely paranoid person or if the general feeling is really really bad (like mass waves of public crime and break out). And of course no one can be in preparation while they are here all of the time in anticipation of a violent situation.

All in all its bad and not very productive advice and I suspect just the normal PR that the British Embassy try to come out with when they cant do anything, which I accept they cant and dont blame them but dont try to pretend you care and you are helping by coming out with PR rubbish that is more damaging. As with many other things that happen in Thailand the British Embassy is quite poor in its performance. I only need to remind readers of how they advised and reported the Red Shirts in Bangkok.

Really? To me it sounds like "Don't go to these stupid things called 'full-moon parties' because there are usually drunk idiots with guns there". Maybe I'm reading it wrong... or maybe, according to your reasoning, the ONLY reason to go to Thailand is to attend these full moon parties?

• Like 1

Interesting enough, last night I was about to take a dark soi here in Hua Hin on my way home. it was only 11pm and I was sober, but my friend grabs me and says NO. bad soi, you get knifed. Ooopsie. Wasn't thinking. It's Hua Hin, how unsafe can it be? My friend who's built like a little brick sh*thouse wasn't taking any chances wink.png Score 1 to the Thai vs, the naive farang.

• Like 1

Really? To me it sounds like "Don't go to these stupid things called 'full-moon parties' because there are usually drunk idiots with guns there". Maybe I'm reading it wrong... or maybe, according to your reasoning, the ONLY reason to go to Thailand is to attend these full moon parties?

No thats not what i meant and sorry if it came across like that. For my point there is no need to be fussy on the location. I have even heard stories of farangs going to a village in Korat and being gunned down. My principle point is no matter where you are in the world there are bad people and bad things happen unpredictably.

Its what you can do about it proactively that counts when giving advise, in this case its either not going to Thailand at all or being on permanent alert for it which if course is silly ! Advising someone to be careful about something which is almost impossible to prepare for and impossible to expect is just not useful.

You can slightly reduce your odds by staying away from suspect places in Thailand yes but the Ambassador didn't say don't go to certain establishments, he was very generic about Thailand as a whole.

It was PR & preventing liability work, simple as that.

Edited by rinteln

Look out TAT.......... people are beginning to notice.

ahh so that explains the robust tourism numbers.......wink.png

Record numbers every year, soon the country will be to small to accomadate all the arrivals and they will have to start turning people away. We have all heard of extreme sports, well Thailand could soon lay claim to the hub of extreme tourism.