Air Con Stops After About 50Kms,any Suggestions?

thanks for the input ,chevy suggested commpresor at 11000 baht ,went to the s/h dealer 3500 baht but he suggested it was more than likely some other fault ,the freezing up sounds right as i get cold fog coming out of the vents, off to the air con man in the morning.

Sounds like a bad sensor or more likely expansion valve problem.

Take it to an independent air con shop and they'll isolate the problem in a heart beat.

It won't cost an arm and a leg.

No idea of the engine layout of the Chevy but had a similar problem on a Landcruiser...the viscose fan wasn't working properly so A/C would work fine in the morning, but if you got stuck in traffic then the coolant temp would rise (not noticeable on the gauge) slightly and would pass the heat onto the A/C condenser which in turn would cause higher pressure in the A/C system and it would just blow warm air

Is ice forming on the evaporator or any of the piping in the system once it quits working? I am not talking about condensation coming out of the vents, but ice forming.

I think it may be as when we park a large pool of water eventually forms under the car ,much larger than normal for an air con

i have also tried turning down the temp control as sugested ,no differance.

Im no expert but I have worked as for a company in a tropic climate on aicon systems

First up its wont be your aircon compressor that's at fault

Cost you nothing to check a few things yourself at lest you know so they don't rip you off

Low gas / to mutch gas = can freeze up the system = air won't pass through the fins on the element ( fits with. The 5-10 time off whiKle Ice melts )

easy to check I there is ice on the element in the car remove a few screws before your next drive so it's easy to acess

When it's stops blowing cold air

does the compressor clutch turn off

Check the air con compressor

Simply open hood turn aircon on off and see if clutch kicks in on compressor so air con should be working

Should not cost a fortune to fix

$200 in the West Thailand a lot less

Even if it's a blocked capillary pipe ( dryer )

Witch only happens if there is foreign objects in the system

Edited by WildChilli

Is ice forming on the evaporator or any of the piping in the system once it quits working? I am not talking about condensation coming out of the vents, but ice forming.

I think it may be as when we park a large pool of water eventually forms under the car ,much larger than normal for an air con

i have also tried turning down the temp control as sugested ,no differance.

Why haven't you taken it to an A/C shop as you said you were going to, rather than discussing it further on this board?

You asked for advice and have been given plenty of it, some of which is very good.

Pop off down to your A/C man in the morning and get it sorted.

Perhaps you are too nervous? Don't worry, it'll be easy!