Concern Over Content Behind Axing Of Drama

Lite Beer

'Concern over content' behind axing of drama

The Nation on Sunday

30197358-01_big.jpg

Democrat spokesman attacks the government over the ban of Nua Mek drama.

BANGKOK: -- NBTC panel chief says Channel 3 executives were worried some parts of soap opera may violate broadcast law

Channel 3 executives abruptly terminated the controversial soap opera "Nua Mek 2" on Friday night because of their concern its content could violate the law, a member of the broadcast regulator said yesterday.

Peerapong Manakit said he gathered from personal discussions with unnamed Channel 3 executives that the station was concerned the drama might violate Article 37 of the Radio and Television Broadcasting Business Act BE 2551 (2008). But he wasn't told which parts of the drama had such violations.

Peerapong is chairman of the National Broadcast and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC)'s subcommittee in charge of content and programme slots.

Peerapong said the scrapping of the soap opera was an act of self-censorship by the station. He said NBTC wouldn't be able to investigate the episodes that were aired or published and said the Channel 3 committee overseeing content must have thought it through before terminating it.

Article 37 prohibits the airing of programmes with content within the frame of overthrowing the country's democracy; or affecting national security, order or people's morality; or within the frame of obscenity or seriously affecting people's minds and health.

Meanwhile, social media has seen a move to set up a Facebook page calling for the return of "Nua Mek 2", with 12,000 people posting comments calling for Channel 3 to air the final episode. As of 5pm yesterday, 154,744 people "liked" the page.

The drama series title literally means "Over the clouds" and its subtle meaning is "out of the blue".

Supinya Klangnarong, an NBTC commissioner, yesterday opined via Tweeter (@supinya) that she would table this "media freedom suppression" issue at the NBTC meeting tomorrow. She urged Thai consumers to file complaints.

Supinya said the issue would affect the people's faith in Thai dramas on free TV while the NBTC legally couldn't order a station to air or not air any drama. However, if there were such "political intervention" in the station's decision, she believed that this was an issue involving media freedom. She said Thais would have to watch dramas with catfight, rape and slapstick scenes because people would be too afraid to create other drama genres, especially political ones.

Since the NBTC, with authority to supervise Channel 3, hasn't banned any drama, this issue showed that free-TV people were actually afraid of the "invisible hand" rather than the NBTC, she tweeted. If Channel 3 was a victim of political intervention and complained to the NBTC, the agency would take up the case but if the station did not complain, the audience could complain to the NBTC via hotline 1200 instead. If it were a law violation then it would be an ethical issue, so the agency would forward it to the media ethical authority's consideration. Saying she would table this issue tomorrow, she said she wasn't sure what the NBTC resolution would be. She said her tweets yesterday were her personal opinion. She said NBTC could ask Channel 3 to explain the reason for the termination and invite those involved for talks. She promised to keep the public posted about the outcome.

If Channel 3 was concerned about its concession contract and hence vulnerable to political intervention, she suggested that the station bid for a 24-channel digital TV signal and give up the old concession. She said the advantage of being under the NBTC licence system was the station would be free from political influence.

Meanwhile, former NBTC sub-panel on Consumer Protection in Radio and Television Broadcasting Business official Chairat Saeng-arun said the producers, stations and audience should be free to view programmes and the issue involving the political drama was a violation of the people's right. He called for an investigation to reveal and punish the person behind terminating the drama.

Meanwhile, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tharit Pengdit said the DSI had no part in the decision to terminate the programme. He said the DSI hadn't yet started probing the lawyer club's complaint on December 28, 2012, over Bangkok Entertainment's 10-year concession extension. Bangkok Entertainment - a unit of BEC World - has operated Channel 3 since 1990, and its contract with MCOT expires next year.

Bangkok senator Rosana Tositrakul commented on her Facebook that she thought the drama was constructive hence the station should clearly explain to society why the serial was pulled out and why there was a rush for self-censorship.

Actor Noppol Komarachun, who played Dr Mekha in this drama, briefly commented on his Facebook page that, "…those giving comments are underlings that have no knowledge of what's really going on…"

A "Neu Mek" fan in Tak's Mae Sot district, Wanichakul Saenmee, said she didn't understand why the government had banned this drama, which had good anti-corruption content, while allowing love stories with sexual scenes to be aired.

The drama, which made its debut on December 14, originally had 12 episodes and its ninth episode was aired last Sunday. Its 10th episode, which was to have been aired on Friday night, had reportedly been edited to incorporate episodes 11 and 12, so that it was set to be the drama's last episode. The 10th episode, however, wasn't aired because Channel 3 said it had "inappropriate content" and the 8.30pm slot was given to a drama called "Raeng Prathana" (Passion). This led to criticism in social media that the ban was because of "political intervention".

Power of words

Selected quotes from the drama series 'Nua Mek 2'

From the character 'Dr Mekha', a respectable politician and prime minister:

"People who cheat the country don't deserve any honour. I will not let anyone exploit the taxpayers' money."

"The happiness from cutting an eight-lane road into a national park, killing wildlife and destroying the environment can only be felt by people with brains less intelligent than those of animals."

"If you don't fully understand being human and the meanings of 'goodness', 'morality' and 'virtue', you don't play politics. That's because you will end up tarnishing the Parliament and destroying the country."

From Dr Mekha's crooked deputy:

"It's totally stupid for a person with power to fail to use his power. If it's not called 'stupid', what should I call it?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-06

One less show that portrays the average Thai as spoilt little super rich brats. The women screaming continuously and throwing tantrums because her gun toting mafia botfriend is sleeping with her sister. Personally I think all the Thai soaps should be axed but hey if thais like them then so be it.

Article 37 prohibits the airing of programmes with content within the frame of overthrowing the country's democracy; or affecting national security, order or people's morality; or within the frame of obscenity or seriously affecting people's minds and health.

But you can take a walk any day or night through certain areas of Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai etc etc & watch all of this going on for real, not even actors but real people.. it's never banned..

just you can't watch it on TV !!

T.I.T

But you can take a walk any day or night through certain areas of Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai etc etc & watch all of this going on for real, not even actors but real people.. it's never banned..

just you can't watch it on TV !!

T.I.T

But you can watch it on TV. All soaps and the red / yellow stations could fall under this definition and most justifiably probably too. Only this one show got pulled for showing up how greedy and corrupt the scum bags politicians are.

• Like 1

A couple of Thai friends said they were surprised when the show started and are not in the least surprised it was axed. As I understand it were was no nudity, obscenity or any of the usual "offensive" content only issues a little too close to the truth especially the depiction of corrupt politicians - a definate No No They grinned when saying the order to pull the show would have come from "the very top" without elaborating.

It's sad that issues all too real here cannot be aired because it's not on to tell it as it is

• Like 2

The TGF is watching it at the moment on you tube, says the producers were well know to be anti-red. All I see is a police special force chasing a witch dressed in black who looks like DR Doom from the fantastic 4 who love a female reporter who loves the police chief.

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages . . . if Article 37 was enforced there would be NOTHING able to be aired pretty much given the Thai's liberal attitudes to how far "laws" can be stretched, bent, argued or interpreted.

And who gets to decide "what" "could" affect someone's mind or health? The NBTC? Why didn't they suspend it then before now?

There we have the official version from the studio, concern over content, nice to see such caring people in the industry, the proof reader for the script must have been on holidays , then this legal situation wouldn't have cropped up. Amatures.coffee1.gif

In Australia the ABC(govt run) had a show that was a parody of the current PM, no problems but here they cant even have a fantasy program with anything that resembles the current govt because it is simply too close to the truth anf might embarass the ministers concerned. Just goes to show how much of a joke Thai politicians are, cant handle anyone telling the truth about them.

• Like 2

At least they got the show off the air before it could corrupt too many minds; if the followers are as slow as the leaders not a thing to worry about. Congratulations to the quick thinkers for saving the system (ho-hum-ho-hum) One more episode of this soap opera and the results could have been DOOM! What's it matter that nine episodes out of a possible twelve were shown - well guess what, not-so-quick whomever, the show may have been crap but it now has done more damage and received more attention than if it had been left alone. Perhaps they took lessons on how to screw up one's own best efforts and fill the mouth with foot from a recently defeated US presidential candidate.

"Power of words

Selected quotes from the drama series 'Nua Mek 2'

From the character 'Dr Mekha', a respectable politician and prime minister:

"People who cheat the country don't deserve any honour. I will not let anyone exploit the taxpayers' money."

"The happiness from cutting an eight-lane road into a national park, killing wildlife and destroying the environment can only be felt by people with brains less intelligent than those of animals."

"If you don't fully understand being human and the meanings of 'goodness', 'morality' and 'virtue', you don't play politics. That's because you will end up tarnishing the Parliament and destroying the country."

From Dr Mekha's crooked deputy:

"It's totally stupid for a person with power to fail to use his power. If it's not called 'stupid', what should I call it?"

Here's your answer! 555+

-mel cheesy.gifclap2.gif

I wonder what has more impact on the national phyche, a show ridiculing politicians or said politicians banning it? I think Thais are more cynical of their system than many realise, however that is coupled with an attitude of that is just the way it is.

Thailand needs a copy of this to open up. It would be great fun!!!

-mel. smile.png

Thailand used to have this type of show, I believe it was called Saphan Joke. It was taken of the air during the previous Thaksin regime. At about the same time the Thai comedians were hinted they couldn't make jokes about politics anymore.

I play in a Thai comedy group already for quite some time and I already was playing when this happened. Before Thaksin no politician would have dared to do this.

The TGF is watching it at the moment on you tube, says the producers were well know to be anti-red. All I see is a police special force chasing a witch dressed in black who looks like DR Doom from the fantastic 4 who love a female reporter who loves the police chief.

Can you please post a link for the website address, thanks.

Thailand needs a copy of this to open up. It would be great fun!!!

-mel. smile.png

Thailand used to have this type of show, I believe it was called Saphan Joke. It was taken of the air during the previous Thaksin regime. At about the same time the Thai comedians were hinted they couldn't make jokes about politics anymore.

I play in a Thai comedy group already for quite some time and I already was playing when this happened. Before Thaksin no politician would have dared to do this.

I saw the attempt to copy spitting image several times.

The defamation law has to go for Thailand to have the teeniest chance of going forward. I have never seen people take their fake public face so seriously as Thais.

how they live with the lie is truly amazing.

There we have the official version from the studio, concern over content, nice to see such caring people in the industry, the proof reader for the script must have been on holidays , then this legal situation wouldn't have cropped up. Amatures.coffee1.gif

Obviously your proof reader must have been on holidays too .....I cannot find "Amatures" in any english dictionary.

sanuk smile.png

"Article 37 prohibits the airing of programmes with content within the frame of overthrowing the country's democracy; or affecting national security, order or people's morality"

"People's morality"? Does that include strangulation of women?

post-35489-0-96398700-1357494002.jpg

or stabbing a woman in the eye?

post-35489-0-29347100-1357494059.jpg

with full gory details:

post-35489-0-74490700-1357494103.jpg

Yes, Channels 3 and 7 are such class acts. They should be taken off the air as they are in insult to peoples' intelligence.

post-35489-0-96398700-1357494002_thumb.j

post-35489-0-29347100-1357494059_thumb.j

post-35489-0-74490700-1357494103_thumb.j

Edited by JetsetBkk

Obviously your proof reader must have been on holidays too .....I cannot find "Amatures" in any english dictionary.

sanuk smile.png

Armature (electrical engineering) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armature_(electrical_engineering)

In electrical engineering, an armature generally refers to one of the two principal electrical components of an electromechanical machine–generally in a motor or ...

Can you please post a link for the website address, thanks.

This banned one is part 2, part1 was aired without controversy, wow I found a copy with english subtitles.

Edited by waza

Its this bloody new china made spell check,

sanuk smile.png