Best Sunday Roast In Pattaya? (Money No Object)

media

Comment on the Ritz roast dinners.

Yes they are quite good.

The set meal includes an appetizer and a dessert.

The appetizers are OK, but rather bland, OK, it's English food. The Minestrone is about as Italian as Betty White.

The desserts are very good when they are very good, but there is a luck factor and visiting over time, some noticeable issues with CONSISTENCY, for example sometimes cold desserts being incorrectly iced and tasting of the fridge.

Seriously, I would ASK which desserts are GOOD tonight? Works if they still have any.

Reservations are NOT always needed especially for small parties.

Sounds like they may have started to slip since John has stopped cooking?? Not sure why you would recommend people not to reserve? why would set your self up for disappointment or a wasted trip when 1 phone call could set you up for a successful experience, restaurants are more likely to give a warmer reception to a customer that respects them enough to take 1 minute to book a table in advance. Ive seen plenty of people turned away due to lack of tables. But im talking about nearly a year ago since we were there frequently, Maybe things have changed?? your comment about inconsistencies has me worried that its gone down hill. I will pop in asap for a meal.

JT didnt say not to book, he just said that you dont always need to book if you happen to go on the off-chance. I have walked past there twice now (with my eyes open) and each evening there were empty tables. Not many, but enough to seat a few people and to me that indicates that booking is probably not absolutely vital. Obviously if you are a large group it would be a good idea to call ahead. But there are loads of other places around to eat in and he does seem to do the same menu every day, so probably no big deal if you miss it one evening.

I am automatically wary of anywhere that doesn't indicate outside what the starters and desserts are on a set 3-course menu, but that's probably just me.

• Like 1

hilton in central mall, every evening Mon-Thr., just under 800b, cook to order, beef, lamb, chicken, pork, and numerous seafood

And where exactly does any of that match the request for Sunday Lunch , I could understand if the request was for week night dinner.

On Sunday they have a special brunch for 1200 (I think). Perhaps they have roasts on that day?

OP Go across the road from P&J to Caddy Shack, I haven't had their roast dinners but friends that also eat at P&J like them.

Caddy Shack has to be one of the best.

I've eaten their roasts more times than I can count. Beef, lamb and chicken. It's ok, but I don't think it's quite the quality the OP is seeking and servings are quite meager. You can order extra meat though. The quality is all over the place. Sometimes it great, other times it positively lousy. They don't carve fresh. They reheat to order.

I've eaten their roasts more times than I can count. ..... The quality is all over the place. Sometimes it great, other times it positively lousy.

You live your life as you see fit, of course, but I wonder why you keep going back there? I dont think that I would give a place many more chances after even just one or two lousy meals.

Hi all, for a very good roast try the Beachview cafe at the beach end of Soi 7 behind the fish restaurant on beach road. Very good meats and a bargain price of 150 bht and big portions as i have never managed to finish a meal off and i eat large.

Andy

I've eaten their roasts more times than I can count. ..... The quality is all over the place. Sometimes it great, other times it positively lousy.

You live your life as you see fit, of course, but I wonder why you keep going back there? I dont think that I would give a place many more chances after even just one or two lousy meals.

It was quite a few years ago - back in 2007 - I started eating roast dinners there. In the beginning the good roast dinners outnumbered the bad ones... however they have a lot of other delicious meals on their menu besides roasts.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone still interested, I can confirm that the Hilton does not do the standard British Sunday lunch fare on Sunday.

That said, it does have very nice griddled lamb/beef/pork, and some very large and tasty prawns, and foie gras, caviar (or something similar), crab, sashimi (mmm lovely), a selection of good cheeses, and a shed-load of other very nice stuff (I defy anyone to taste it all in one sitting).

I thought it was probably overpriced at 1200B and it wasnt as full as it usually is on weekdays. I shall try and sample some (all? smile.png ) of the similar things available in town over the next few weeks and will be interested to see how they compare.

For anyone still interested, I can confirm that the Hilton does not do the standard British Sunday lunch fare on Sunday.

That said, it does have very nice griddled lamb/beef/pork, and some very large and tasty prawns, and foie gras, caviar (or something similar), crab, sashimi (mmm lovely), a selection of good cheeses, and a shed-load of other very nice stuff (I defy anyone to taste it all in one sitting).

I thought it was probably overpriced at 1200B and it wasnt as full as it usually is on weekdays. I shall try and sample some (all? smile.png ) of the similar things available in town over the next few weeks and will be interested to see how they compare.

Is foie gras plentiful as buffet style or just a small portion per head?

hilton in central mall, every evening Mon-Thr., just under 800b, cook to order, beef, lamb, chicken, pork, and numerous seafood

Unless you made a mistake in the price? 800b @ 47b gbp = £17 it sure needs to be good at that price!

Unless you made a mistake in the price? 800b @ 47b gbp = £17 it sure needs to be good at that price!

No mistake made in the price. The lunch buffet goes for about 380thb. This is the Hilton mind you and the quality is there.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Purveying pur·vey·ing \(ˌ)pər-ˈvā, ing ˈpər-ˌ\- Middle English purveien, from Anglo-French purveier, purveer to look at, foresee, provide, from Latin providēre to provide, from Anglo-Vernacular pigout.

post-72929-0-70446700-1360156619_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

• 3 weeks later...

I am not English but love English food after having lived many years in Surrey. I love a Sunday roast and is currently soaking up all the information about where to get one in Pattaya area. One question though - do any of these places serve the Roast with honey - glazed parsnips?

They were (are) my absolute favourite to go with the meal - I used to buy them in frozen packs from Tesco when we did Sunday roast at home. Yes, not original and all that but when heating them in the oven I absolutely loved them as an integral part of the meal

I love parsnips also. One of the first things I buy when I'm in the UK, along with runner beans.

I have never seen them here either fresh or cooked in a Sunday roast lunch, though I seem to remember seeing them in Tops' freezers in Central at some silly price. The better Christmas special lunch places may also have them along with the sprouts, though of course that's just at Christmas.

Roast pumpkin/squash seems to be a fairly common alternative for Sunday lunch and American clients will be accustomed to it from back home.

reading the OP's post he mentions freshly cooked veg, yorkshires etc both The Chill Bar or Nana Deli do this and at Nana's you can have a small yorkshire or a large one with all of the roast in it - blooming lovely.

Nana Deli is co-owned by a English guy Nick - hence Nana Nick.

I assumed when a 'cheap charlie' roast was mentioned the OP meant some of the more choicer places in town - 99 baht etc, The Chill and Nana DEFINITELY do not fall into that category, give em'a go.

Jimmy

This turned out to be an excellent recommendation, Freshly cooked sunday roast. fantastic fresh and thick cut roasted lamb nice gravy etc.

I took my mother and father who were staying from UK and they also said it was excellent food.

So NANA DELI gets my vote for the best Sunday roast lunch in Pattaya so far

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

greg's kitchen, drinking st.......

Good shout that. You would not be disappointed.

At what, the price? One of the more expensive ex-pat eateries in town with same menu as everywhere else.

Read the OP it says 'money no object' not everyone is a penny pincher and besides I can't remember how much it was as I don't log those things in the memory bank like some here do.

Bottom line is it's a good roast, which unless I'm mistaken is the point of this thread.

If money is truly no object, I would recommend the Mantra Brunch.

Go and spoil yourself !

Everything from freshly prepared lamb to your specification, to fresh

sushi and lots of other top dishes, all very well prepared ...

I think it's around 1600++ per person, reservations a must.

luudee

If money is truly no object, I would recommend the Mantra Brunch.

Go and spoil yourself !

Everything from freshly prepared lamb to your specification, to fresh

sushi and lots of other top dishes, all very well prepared ...

I think it's around 1600++ per person, reservations a must.

luudee

Erh, the guy is asking about sunday roasts, not the best restaurants in town?