Raffleasia In Bloom Now At Khao Sok Np.

samuijimmy

I just heard today that Surratthanii's Provincial flower Rafflesia kerrii , is now in bloom at Khao Sok National Park (one of the worlds largest flowers!)

It's not the same variety as the one found in Borneo Malaysia... I saw that last year....

It may only be in bloom for a week or two... for any one interested.... it may be now or wait until next year !!!!

I am off on a mission Friday to seek this out! .... Apparently it can be a bit of a hike...wink.pngw00t.gif

Hope to see some Horn bills in the wild too!

Here is a web site with some details~ !

http://www.khaosok.com/

Within fairly easy reach of anyone in the south....

It gives me an idea, to post all the Provincial Flowers of Thailand.... (perhaps a new topic for that!!! ?)

Do you know what your Provincial Flower is?

Hi Jimmy, I'm actually at Khao Sok National Park, arrived today, and the Rafflesia is really blooming, but, as somebody says, not so spectacular because due to the very dry season here, the flower are not completely open and not so nice to photograph. I hope tomorrow to have more news but anyway I will be at the main trail to hunt (I hope) some butterfly. I'm ready to go for the Rafflesia, but the trail is very hard (more than one hour of mountain climb plus jungle trail...)

Update: my reference here (the owner of the resort where I always go) just informed me that Rafflesia is full blooming in a site a 15 km from the village, plus the hard trail. I think I'll go tomorrow, but I could wait for you if you want join me. I'll take a guide just for me so I can regulate the speed on my slow walk...

Let me know

• Like 1

Hi Jimmy, I'm actually at Khao Sok National Park, arrived today, and the Rafflesia is really blooming, but, as somebody says, not so spectacular because due to the very dry season here, the flower are not completely open and not so nice to photograph. I hope tomorrow to have more news but anyway I will be at the main trail to hunt (I hope) some butterfly. I'm ready to go for the Rafflesia, but the trail is very hard (more than one hour of mountain climb plus jungle trail...)

w00t.gif Not what I wanted to hear!!! w00t.gif .... I'm off in the morning... regardless .... so maybe will bump into you! thumbsup.gif

The ones I saw in Sabah Borneo last year weren't huge.... I reckon the flowers one sees in advertising are plastic!!! wink.png

My walk might be slower than yours!..... Can't rush anyway with a camera in hand, especially when this will all new to me !!!!

Edited by samuijimmy

Provincial flower? It took me 6 months to find out what the national flower is. I also didn't know that there were any ex pats interested in botany at all.

Oh I think there are a few people interested... we don't all hang out in bars! biggrin.pngwink.png(not that i am suggesting you do!!!)

So do tell, what is the National flower?, because I have no idea, or the other provincial flowers for that matter ... this could be a big challenge thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Provincial flower? It took me 6 months to find out what the national flower is. I also didn't know that there were any ex pats interested in botany at all.

Oh I think there are a few people interested... we don't all hang out in bars! biggrin.pngwink.png(not that i am suggesting you do!!!)

So do tell, what is the National flower?, because I have no idea, or the other provincial flowers for that matter ... this could be a big challenge thumbsup.gif

Ok I'll do a google. The National flower is yellow, of course,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia_fistula, you see it planted everywhere.

Provincial flowers? Veeery good question, maybe I can make some money out of it!

You may be interested in http://www.dokmaigarden.co.th/

Ok back to the bar.