Algerian Hostage Drama

Scott

Hasn't there been ongoing conflict in this region, particularly the sub sahara for decades? Although it is nice to try and affix blame on one particular regime or person, the fact is that these people have been killing and terrorizing for a long time. In plain language, Khaddaffi was just another card in a deck that has many players. Look at the Darfur. The genocide of Africans has been ongoing for over decade.

The troubles in Nigeria date back to independence. The feuds with Chad also date back to independence. Morrocco has been struggling with insurgents for at least 25 years.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like deposing Gaddafi has done wonders for the stability of the region. Obviously the loss of innocent civilians is tragic, but perhaps events such as this may little by little convince western governments they are fighting an ideological mortal enemy, and the battlefield is as large as the world is.

Algeria has been the venue for similar attacks in the past, so this is nothing new.

In any case, subsequent to the Arab Spring, the attacks had declined. It has absolutely no connection to Libya. The hostage taking was a retaliatory action to the French taking on rebels in Mali.

and where did the rebels in Mali get their military hardware from? I posted a link on the Mali thread concerning the fallout from the Libyan fighting, here it is at it is directly relevant.

http://www.debka.com...-hostage-crisis

suffice to say, not for the first time western nations are having their own weapons used against them.

So true !

Algeria says 32 militants, 23 hostages killed

Algiers/Cairo - Thirty-two terrorists and 23 captives were killed in the remote In Amenas gas facility in the Sahara desert, the Algerian Interior Ministry said Saturday, after the military launched a bloody final assault to end a four-day hostage standoff.

The nationalities of the hostages were not released and the government said this was a provisional toll.

"This intervention resulted in the release of 685 Algerian employees and 107 foreigners," the ministry said, according to the APS state news agency.

The military recovered machine guns, rifles, shotguns, mortars, missiles, missile launchers, rockets, grenades and foreign military uniforms from the site, APS reported.

Seven hostages were executed, the El Watan newspaper reported, by the Islamist insurgents before the military stormed the facility.

The military operation that started Thursday to free a group of foreign and Algerian workers had been criticized by some countries whose citizens were being held.

But on Saturday, French President Francois Hollande acknowledged that Algeria had no choice but to storm the complex.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-20

According to genetic lineage research, the first tribes of humans likely originated in north Africa (and also Lake Turkana region of Kenya). So, after a quarter million years of 'development', this is where the species is at. War and rapes and depravity from coast to coast. To what degree habitat destruction, or belief systems (religion), or other reasons are factors - it's no doubt things are going downhill for the species.

http://www.telegraph...-gas-plant.html

The Algerian Interior Ministry said of the 32 terrorists killed, just three were Algerian nationals. That confirms fears that the militant group was drawn from several countries and suggests a highly organised operation. A report on Friday had suggested one of the militants spoke with an English accent while the Algerian authorities were unable to rule out that a British citizen might be implicated

So much for this being a local issue - just three of the 32 terrorists killed were Algerians. The rest came from all over the united Caliphate of Jihad. Indeed it seems likely that Cameron will be faced with the embarrassing prospect of the bodies of dead terrorists being repatriated to the UK alongside their victims. I suspect black flag waving Jihadists will be waiting at the airport to honour their dead, en-route to claiming their 72 virgins. Should the EDL turn up to pay respect to the British dead they will be summarily arrested and given 5 year bans from protesting, whilst bearded savages burn the union jack unimpeded by the boys in blue.

Edited by Steely Dan
  • Like 1

The Algerian Interior Ministry said of the 32 terrorists killed, just three were Algerian nationals. That confirms fears that the militant group was drawn from several countries and suggests a highly organised operation. A report on Friday had suggested one of the militants spoke with an English accent while the Algerian authorities were unable to rule out that a British citizen might be implicated

So much for this being a local issue - just three of the 32 terrorists killed were Algerians. The rest came from all over the united Caliphate of Jihad. Indeed it seems likely that Cameron will be faced with the embarrassing prospect of the bodies of dead terrorists being repatriated to the UK alongside their victims. I suspect black flag waving Jihadists will be waiting at the airport to honour their dead, en-route to claiming their 72 virgins. Should the EDL turn up to pay respect to the British dead they will be summarily arrested and given 5 year bans from protesting, whilst bearded savages burn the union jack unimpeded by the boys in blue.

Wow . . . is this really going to be happening . . . or is a bit of hyperbole involved? rolleyes.gif

Why do you have to speak out in favor of EDL, man ?

Jihadis and EDL people are both fascists, in my opinion (okay, for those who will say 'fascist' is not the right word here, I will change it to 'bigot').

For EDL types, there is always a group of people to hate, and sometimes that group is just a group comprising of mostly innocent people, eg. South Asians, blacks, gays.

I am against both the Islamists and the white supremacists and will continue to be so.

Don't forget that a single fascist killed nearly 100 people in Norway not too long ago.

I wonder if some of you here showed the same dose of reaction to Breivik's murder of people, as you did to the Islamofascists' murders of people. Somehow I doubt it, as I am pretty sure there are some EDL-types here in this forum.

Edited by JemJem
  • Like 2

Latest death toll 48 hostages. The French defense minister described the attack as "an act of war". Of course he is correct, but an act of war by who against whom? Surely not against Algeria, seeing as Algerians within the complex were told they were not targets by the militants. Not France per se, seeing as the victims came from all over, mainly all over the western world.

Instead of persisting in a game of charades, that has been in effect since 9/11 why not spell it out - Western civilization, and indeed any civilization outside the narrow confines of fundamentalist Islam is at war with fundamentalist Islam. This is not a war of our choosing, but war it is, and high time the enemy was defined accurately and dealt with, instead of hiding behind a mirage calling this a 'war on terror'. Alas this is a guerre sans frontiers (war without frontiers) thanks to lax western immigration policy and an abject failure to stop the ideology of the enemy being spread within its own borders.

@Jem Jem, I'll answer you later, but for now, do you consider the following sentence to be an accurate description of the terrorists?

They are all backward savages, a devil-spawned death-cult worshipping all that is unholy and barbaric. Pure evil.

Edited by Steely Dan

Well it looks like deposing Gaddafi has done wonders for the stability of the region. Obviously the loss of innocent civilians is tragic, but perhaps events such as this may little by little convince western governments they are fighting an ideological mortal enemy, and the battlefield is as large as the world is.

I fail to see the connection wit Libya - it is far too simplistic to expect the world's troubles to vanish because a fly was squashed.

The problems in Algeria go back decades and decades - you should read up on it, quite interesting stuff. My first wife's father was a pied-noir (so, my first father-in-law) and the tales he told were simply astounding

The complex where the hostages were taken is very close to the Libyan border. I thought I had read they actually came from Libya.

I read that the hostage takers were of 6 different nationalities but just because Libya is so close doesnt mean the terrorists came from there... Chances are they are from Mali as one of their demands was to stop france interferring in Mali

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are all backward savages, a devil-spawned death-cult worshipping all that is unholy and barbaric. Pure evil.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?!

That could also apply to the US and its armies over the decades/centuries.

I think one of the problems 'we', as westerners, have is that we are very, very one-eyed about issues - despite our grand protestations ot the contrary and bellicose shouting that it is 'THEM' who are one-eyed and uninformed.

Whether 'we' are church-going people, lapsed Christians or agnostics/atheists, we still have a fundamental belief structure that stems from Christianity and is therefore 'right', compared to other belief structures . . . how many times have we heard 'and they call themselves Buddhist' etc . . .

I digress . . . think for one minute what effect George Baby Bush's word that 'God in on our side' had on the Muslim community . . . would it be any different had a Muslim head of government (has one actually said that?) said the same thing while unleashing the most sophisticated weaponry on a country that was fairly defenseless, militarily?

(Not saying getting rid of Sadaam was a bad thing, per se)

Latest death toll 48 hostages. The French defense minister described the attack as "an act of war". Of course he is correct, but an act of war by who against whom? Surely not against Algeria, seeing as Algerians within the complex were told they were not targets by the militants. Not France per se, seeing as the victims came from all over, mainly all over the western world.

Instead of persisting in a game of charades, that has been in effect since 9/11 why not spell it out - Western civilization, and indeed any civilization outside the narrow confines of fundamentalist Islam is at war with fundamentalist Islam. This is not a war of our choosing, but war it is, and high time the enemy was defined accurately and dealt with, instead of hiding behind a mirage calling this a 'war on terror'. Alas this is a guerre sans frontiers (war without frontiers) thanks to lax western immigration policy and an abject failure to stop the ideology of the enemy being spread within its own borders.

@Jem Jem, I'll answer you later, but for now, do you consider the following sentence to be an accurate description of the terrorists?

You must be proud of yourself for quoting from Kevin Carroll, who represents a UK far right organisation who has been arrested for inciting racial hatred; says a lot about you. For those who are interested go to:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/joint-leader-of-english-defence-league-kevin-carroll-arrested-on-suspicion-of-race-hate-crime-8451082.html

FYI the leader of the EDL, Stephen Lennon, was jailed a few weeks ago for 10 months for entering the USA illegally.

I fail to see the connection wit Libya - it is far too simplistic to expect the world's troubles to vanish because a fly was squashed.

The problems in Algeria go back decades and decades - you should read up on it, quite interesting stuff. My first wife's father was a pied-noir (so, my first father-in-law) and the tales he told were simply astounding

The complex where the hostages were taken is very close to the Libyan border. I thought I had read they actually came from Libya.

I read that the hostage takers were of 6 different nationalities but just because Libya is so close doesnt mean the terrorists came from there... Chances are they are from Mali as one of their demands was to stop france interferring in Mali

Sure, it is possible they came from Mali. But the complex is about 35 km from the Libya border as the crow flies and about 1,100 km from the Mali border through the desert and over mountains (Sicily is closer). IF they even came from outside Algeria, it is most likely they came from Libya.

EDIT: sorry, the city is 35 km away from Libya. The complex is 45 km from that and I don't know which direction.

Edited by koheesti

You must be proud of yourself for quoting from Kevin Carroll, who represents a UK far right organisation who has been arrested for inciting racial hatred; says a lot about you. For those who are interested go to:

http://www.independe...me-8451082.html

FYI the leader of the EDL, Stephen Lennon, was jailed a few weeks ago for 10 months for entering the USA illegally.

Ah Simple (rolleyes.gif ) glad to see you're keeping up. Do us a favour though and quit the moral indignation and diversionary ad hominim nonsense. I've quoted Josef Goebbels before when pertinent to do so, and that doesn't make me a Nazi. As for Kevin Carroll, if what he said was directed against those who willingly and with malice of forethought go into a building with the express intent to murder those of a different religion expecting to die in the process - then yes 'devil spawned death cult' is a fair description. If however he wrote it in a context that could reasonably be interpreted as meaning all Muslims, then he would be indeed guilty of inciting racial hatred. Setting a side for a moment that Imams dotted throughout Europe say as bad if not worse and get away with it, kindly show me of a single terrorist attack or murder carried out by the EDL, you can't. As for Stephen Lennon, how many others entering the U.S illegally have been thrown in Jail, had he stayed longer and kept his head down he'd have probably got a green card in a few years. He was locked up for political expedience by a government sat on an enormous self-inflicted problem, reliant on middle eastern oil with a potential powder keg of bottled up anger due to making many cultural Britains feel like second class citizens in their own land.

Another Libyan link to the terrorist attack, Reuters is reporting tonight that the attackers vehicles had Libyan number plates. The Daily Telegraph reports that their weapons almost certainly came from Libya. Two Canadian citizens confirmed amongst the terrorists, one who co-ordinated the attack. At least one British citizen etc. All fresh from their role as NATO'S ground troops in Libya no doubt, where they were "freedom fighters", just as in Syria where the West is quite happy to back Al Quaida terrorists in their bid to overthrow another secular government which will certainly be replaced, as in Libya by an unholy alliance of Murderers and extremists. Despite warnings at the start of the Libyan adventure that the result of Ghaddafi's overthrow would be chaos and destabilization of the whole of North Africa. An article in the New York Times today quotes Ghaddafi warning that if he fell, 'Chaos and holy war would overtake North Africa. Bin Laden's people would come to impose ransoms by land and sea". Perhaps he wasn't so delusional after all in the light of this attack in Algeria. The Western governments and their supporters can bury their heads in the sand as much as they like and pretend that their foolish actions in backing Jihadist fundamentalists, which has left them awash with weapons, have no connection to events like this latest attack in Algeria, but the connection is plain to anybody with an ounce of common sense. David Cameron is saying that the West could be there for at least a decade sorting it out, the arms manufacturers will be rubbing their hands with glee. It was ever thus.
  • Like 1

There are many media reports that the attack on the gas plant in Algeria had been planned prior to the intervention in Mali and the reason being kidnapping of Westerners for ransom, not as a "protest" for Western intervention in Mali. Algeria security forces are notorious for the use of torture. Back in the early 1990s Islamists won a large minority (188 out of 430 parliamentary seats) in an election, they were then violently suppressed by the government. estimates of 50k to 100k deaths. Extra judicial killing and torture are carried out to date by the Algerian government. Many will agree the suppression of elected Islamists it justifiable, but is smells strongly of hypocrisy by Western governments when election results do not adhere to their political agenda.

When you look at recent history where Western forces have been reduced or pulled out of conflict zones there has been a dramatic reduction of Islamic extremest terrorist attacks on overseas Western targets. Is this a lesson to the West to cease it's self centered 100+ years of interference in Islamic. However, it's good to hear that Cameron is saying it may take up to 10 years to wipe out Islamic terror in sub Sahara. In interviews with some senior American military commanders, they argue government should plan for up to 15 years of engagement for counter insurgency, taking a multifaceted approach.

In the meantime where is the crackdown on the known Saudi Wahhabi funding for the extremists - always very quiet on this matter; why?

Edited by simple1

I am more concerned about the presence of western nationals allegedly participating in the attacks. I am not surprised by the allegation that two of the dead attackers were Canadian nationals.

Not the first time either. The Millenium bomber Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian who lived for a time in Montreal, was sentenced to 37 years in prison for his role in the plot to bomb LAX.

• Like 1

In the meantime where is the crackdown on the known Saudi Wahhabi funding for the extremists - always very quiet on this matter; why?

You got me on that one. Osama was a Saudi national, 15 of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and the response was to bomb Afghanistan.

I won't be surprised if the funding for the adventure has links back to Saudi Arabia.

It's good to be a major oil exporter.

• Like 1

I am more concerned about the presence of western nationals allegedly participating in the attacks. I am not surprised by the allegation that two of the dead attackers were Canadian nationals.

Not the first time either. The Millenium bomber Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian who lived for a time in Montreal, was sentenced to 37 years in prison for his role in the plot to bomb LAX.

Quite so, and a bit of a pity for Canada, seeing as I credit their prime minister as being one of the few western leaders in possession of a spinal column. It remains to be seen whether any dead Canadian national has links to either Mali or Algeria, but lets face it, there motivation was likely ideological not down to local politics.

There are many media reports that the attack on the gas plant in Algeria had been planned prior to the intervention in Mali and the reason being kidnapping of Westerners for ransom, not as a "protest" for Western intervention in Mali. Algeria security forces are notorious for the use of torture. Back in the early 1990s Islamists won a large minority (188 out of 430 parliamentary seats) in an election, they were then violently suppressed by the government. estimates of 50k to 100k deaths. Extra judicial killing and torture are carried out to date by the Algerian government. Many will agree the suppression of elected Islamists it justifiable, but is smells strongly of hypocrisy by Western governments when election results do not adhere to their political agenda.

When you look at recent history where Western forces have been reduced or pulled out of conflict zones there has been a dramatic reduction of Islamic extremest terrorist attacks on overseas Western targets. Is this a lesson to the West to cease it's self centered 100+ years of interference in Islamic. However, it's good to hear that Cameron is saying it may take up to 10 years to wipe out Islamic terror in sub Sahara. In interviews with some senior American military commanders, they argue government should plan for up to 15 years of engagement for counter insurgency, taking a multifaceted approach.

I agree with practically everything you wrote, save for the annulling of elections won by Islamists. By their own admission Islamists don't believe in democracy, so even if they came to power through democratic means they would never relinquish it in the same manner. I believe a more recent election gave the government 80% backing and most Algerians are heartily sick of Islamic extremism.

As for Saudi funding of terrorism, this is a not so well kept secret, not only do they directly fund the jihaddists, but they also fund the building of mosques throughout the west indoctrinating people with their extreme strand of Islam - hence likely or not the Canadian nationals involved were recruited in this manner. The funding issue needs addressing if things are going to get better, but I'm not exactly hopeful on this score.

• Like 1

This attack was planned weeks before the French military action in Mali.

• Like 1

This attack was planned weeks before the French military action in Mali.

Llogic - completely out of place in this discussion Edited by Sing_Sling

You got me on that one. Osama was a Saudi national, 15 of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and the response was to bomb Afghanistan.

I won't be surprised if the funding for the adventure has links back to Saudi Arabia.

It's good to be a major oil exporter.

off topic, but as you know the Saudi regeime has effectively destroyed Al Qaeda in Saudi Arabia as they had directly threatened the regeime

I agree with practically everything you wrote, save for the annulling of elections won by Islamists. By their own admission Islamists don't believe in democracy, so even if they came to power through democratic means they would never relinquish it in the same manner. I believe a more recent election gave the government 80% backing and most Algerians are heartily sick of Islamic extremism.

As for Saudi funding of terrorism, this is a not so well kept secret, not only do they directly fund the jihaddists, but they also fund the building of mosques throughout the west indoctrinating people with their extreme strand of Islam - hence likely or not the Canadian nationals involved were recruited in this manner. The funding issue needs addressing if things are going to get better, but I'm not exactly hopeful on this score.

Saudi not only funding them it would appear, i wonder if any of these guys were involved in the Algerian attack.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/21/saudi-inmates-fight-syria-commute-death-sentences/1852629/

• Like 1

Sadly and incredibly the current U.S administration includes Chuck Hagel, would like the Islamists to become part of the Algerian government. Is this to be a preparation for their sudden takeover as per Egypt, or surrender by installments, as per Afghanistan?

TEL AVIV – Secretary of defense nominee Chuck Hagel sits on the small board of a peace fund that finances an international “crisis management” group that long has petitioned the Algerian government to cease “excessive” military activities against al-Qaida-linked jihadists, WND has learned.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/hagel-funded-group-pushing-talks-with-al-qaida/#1up0urzAmBGA4Fzh.99

Quite so, and a bit of a pity for Canada, seeing as I credit their prime minister as being one of the few western leaders in possession of a spinal column. It remains to be seen whether any dead Canadian national has links to either Mali or Algeria, but lets face it, there motivation was likely ideological not down to local politics.

I would be surprised if the Canadian Passports were legit.

You are correct. I may have been too hasty. The Canadian FM called in the Algerian ambassador and asked for proof. The Canadians seem to think the deceased were carrying fake identification papers. Perhaps I am also too quick to accept the possibility, but terrorists in the past have carried fake identification documents as a way of disrupting the investigation when they are caught or when their body parts are sorted out. I anticipate that the world's security services will sort this out soon enough. Obviously, a well planned operation.

Sadly and incredibly the current U.S administration includes Chuck Hagel, would like the Islamists to become part of the Algerian government. Is this to be a preparation for their sudden takeover as per Egypt, or surrender by installments, as per Afghanistan?

TEL AVIV – Secretary of defense nominee Chuck Hagel sits on the small board of a peace fund that finances an international “crisis management” group that long has petitioned the Algerian government to cease “excessive” military activities against al-Qaida-linked jihadists, WND has learned.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2...urzAmBGA4Fzh.99

Steely Dan - you seem to crop up everywhere the topic relates to Muslims and Islam etc..., always with the same thinly veiled 'messages'. Usually it's not even worth reading but now that you have shown where you get your information it all makes sense. Allow me to quote some other snippets from your valued source of news:

"Cats eradicated as pets in New Zealand?"

"Obama signs 'end to free speech'"

"Obama hid gay life to become president"

"Scathing Congress report slams Obama's 'criminal covert activity'"

"Americans fund 'Hitler-Kind of killing machine'. Obama blasted for millions taxpayers forced to give to abortionists"

"The first Muslim President" "With a front page photo of Obama

. . . and the dross continues.

Seriously, Steely . . . if you want anyone to take you seriously you should cite 'credible' news sources and not this birther/xenophobic/racist crap.

One of my favourites just glancing through the pages:

DEFENDING THE WEST

'MODERATE' ISLAM UNMOSQUED

Exclusive: Pamela Geller asks, are your neighbors 'bloody jihadists in the making'?

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2...sidC5mZhxxM9.99

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 1

One of my favourite posts of yours - towards the end cheesy.gif