Epsom Salts: Finding Here

Jingthing

OK, I've tried five pharmacies already asking for Epsom Salts.

For SOAKING IN.

When I get the blank look, I say the chemical -- magnesium sulphate.

Then they point me to the vitamin supplements section.

Another case of something I thought was universal that's hard to locate here.

So where do I find it here?

http://www.saltworks...es-benefits.asp

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure, but I know it's not commonly sold at standard pharmacies. The Thai word for it is ดีเกลือ (dii glueua) or ดีเกลือฝรั่ง (dii glueua farang). I believe the Thais think of it as something to be used for teeth whitening or to cure acne . . . I'd suggest Chinese herb shops, or some of the health food stores that are popping up everywhere. I do think it's readily available here, just not sure where. Good luck.

I'm not sure, but I know it's not commonly sold at standard pharmacies. The Thai word for it is ดีเกลือ (dii glueua) or ดีเกลือฝรั่ง (dii glueua farang). I believe the Thais think of it as something to be used for teeth whitening or to cure acne . . . I'd suggest Chinese herb shops, or some of the health food stores that are popping up everywhere. I do think it's readily available here, just not sure where. Good luck.

Thanks. Worth a try. Another adventure. I read it is used to make TOFU and tofu is made in Thailand but I don't know if it is specifically NEEDED to make tofu or if they can use other salts (probably can).

http://www.livestron...eet-epsom-salt/

Edited by Jingthing

Didn't someone mention in an earlier epson salt thread, it is available in Chinese medicinal shops?

Someone here said MAYBE so in Pattaya. I don't know exactly where to look but I'll keep my eyes open.

I just did a quick search of the forum history on Epsom salts and got these clues.

In Chiang Mai, it can be found at chemical supply shops.

So where is a chemical supply shop in Pattaya?

Of course there it would just be magnesium sulfate.

In Bangkok, yes Chinese medicine type places:

Vejpong Pharmacy (Hock Ann Tung) Co., Ltd. 145-149 Jakrawat Road, Sampanthawong Destrict Bangkok, Thailand 10110. The Telephone numbers are 02-222-2223, 02-221-1663. The shop is located at the junction between Jakrawat Road and Yaworaj Road. (Wat Tuk Junction or Si-Yek Watuk). (This shop is a mixed of Chinese Herbal Medicine shop and Western Style Pharmacy.)

Also in Bangkok: pharmacy on Ekamai near the entrance to soi 26

More on Thai ways of calling it: magnesium sulfate = ดี เกลือ ฝรั่ง = dee gleua fà-ràng

Bottom line, it really isn't so easy to locate Epsom Salts in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

i havent seen any here i use to use it for soaking my feet in when they a bit sore if you do find any please let us know.

Yes I want for a foot health issue. I am using vinegar now but epsom salts would be better.

I found another clue from 2011:

Chinese herb shop on Pattaya Thai close to 2nd road There is a wat that is across the street.

Is that shop still there? I will look but if not Chinese herb shops seem like places to check.

I understand different cultures, different folk health traditions, but I think of Epsom Salts as being really old school super cheap people's medicine and I would have thought that kind of thing would be widely known in Thailand. (But not.)

Edited by Jingthing

i havent seen any here i use to use it for soaking my feet in when they a bit sore if you do find any please let us know.

Yes I want for a foot health issue. I am using vinegar now but epsom salts would be better.

I found another clue from 2011:

Chinese herb shop on Pattaya Thai close to 2nd road There is a wat that is across the street.

Is that shop still there? I will look but if not Chinese herb shops seem like places to check.

I understand different cultures, different folk health traditions, but I think of Epsom Salts as being really old school super cheap people's medicine and I would have thought that kind of thing would be widely known in Thailand. (But not.)

Try soaking if fish sauce.

I'm in Bangkok now and the pharmacy near my hotel has it! They sell it in bulk packaging for B50 a package (maybe 2 kilos). I will buy a couple packs for myself and if any one wants some, PM me your order and will arrange pickup in pattaya.

If you'll be in Bangkok yourself and want to pick some up, it's the old pharmacy next to the gas station at the entrance to soi 4 Sukhumvit (soi Nana).

They sell it in bulk packaging for B50 a package (maybe 2 kilos). I will buy a couple packs for myself and if any one wants some, PM me your order and will arrange pickup in pattaya.

2kg unmarked bags of white powder being transported from Bangkok and distributed in Pattaya?

Better keep the pharmacy receipt!

Large salt crystals (epsomite) so pretty obvious what it is...if not, they can taste it :)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Thanks for the offers folks.

I am over the acute need for the salt as the most important part was just the really hot water (though I added vinegar).

I did happen to find a Thai Thai pharmacy that had two really small plastic baggies (their entire supply) of the prized salt far in the back room, probably has been there for 20 years (they had to call in Granny to find them). 20 baht each, consider the profit on that, kind of like dealing in nickle bags (yuck yuck).

For the sake of future reference, I would still like to keep this thread and search for the salts active for PATTAYA.

It's hard to believe there aren't some sources in Pattaya like in Bangkok.

If someone finds a local source, then it can be posted here for future reference of any people in Pattaya looking for epsom salts. Yes, use the Thai name to ask for it.

Edited by Jingthing

• 6 months later...

the EU has banned them so there may be repercussions around the world now .

Milk of Magnesia disappears from British shelves as ingredients fall foul of EU meddlers
  • Milk of Magnesia production stopped as it contained too much sulphate
  • After being banned beloved medicine is now trading hands for £20 online

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

PUBLISHED: 01:28, 1 July 2013 | UPDATED: 01:28, 1 July 2013

330 shares

View
comments

article-2352139-005CCF7B00000258-554_306

Mother's favourite: Milk of Magnesia was developed by a Scottish chemist to provide relief for indigestion

A beloved British medicine has disappeared from shelves after falling foul of EU rules.

Milk of Magnesia – used for generations to combat indigestion, ulcers and upset tummies – has been outlawed by the European Union because it contains a tiny bit too much sulphate.

Manufacture stopped in autumn last year, but the backlog of supplies was allowed to be sold.

Now stockpiles have dwindled and the product is selling for ten times its normal price on auction website eBay. Bottles of the beloved over-the-counter medicine – a solution of magnesium hydroxide – are selling for £20 online.

Manufacturers GSK are thought to be changing the recipe, so it contains less than 0.5 per cent sulphate – the EU limit.

Great-grandmother Margaret Taylor, from Ramsbottom, Lancashire, said Europe should stop meddling with the British way of life.

Mrs Taylor, 84, said: ‘When I was raising my children, someone told me if you had a problem with windy babies, milk of magnesia was the best thing to use.

‘It worked a treat – I used it for all three of my children and I would recommend it to anyone who was struggling with feeding their baby. People my age group would swear by it.

'I think the EU need to back off. Like millions of others, I used it on my children and they’re all walking around fine.

‘Mum knows best, not those suited bigwigs in Europe.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352139/Milk-Magnesia-disappears-British-shelves-ingredients-fall-foul-EU-meddlers.html#ixzz2b2Vqgn9V
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Is it not fun looking for ordinary things in Thailand that you could find 5 minutes in other countries.

I could run off a long list of stuff that has been difficult to find....

Like?

Usually it's a problem of knowing the Thai word for what one is looking for so one knows what to ask for. Of course, this doesn't apply to country or region specific raw or prepared food/drink items.

JT I posted about a year & ahalf ago it is available at one shop. It is the Chinese Herb shop that is on 3rd road right before it turns into 2nd road turnoff coming from Tuk com plaza direction there is a Wat a couple of blocks away from tukcom almost directly across the street the will sell you as much as you want. I wish I had the name for you but I think it does say Chinese herbs on the sign in the window. To the best of my knowledge this is the only place that sells it Even the hospitals here just give you a dumb look when I or my Thai girlfriend asked them for da klua ask for it by this name or you have to play word association games to convey what you want. They are Chinese but speak English well (which is a huge plus!)