Is All Deposit Lost If I Terminate Contract Before Full Time?

We rented a room for 3 month, and put 8000 baht (1 month rent) in deposit. Now we decided to move out after only 1 month. There is a electric bill of 1000 baht and water of 400 baht. Do i have to loose both the deposit and pay 1400 baht or should the 1400 baht first be deducted from the 8000 baht?

You broke your contract which would probably say you loose deposit if you terminate early. Think of the landlord rather than just yourself, he has probably paid for cleaning etc and his time now you want to Welch on a deal and leave him with a 1400 Baht loss.

• Like 1

If it was me I'd figure I owed another two months' rent plus the utilities, less the deposit. If I agree to pay 3 months rent I'm going to pay it.

I'm not allowed to say that someone should kick your ass and tell you to join the adult world, so I won't. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Your asking for advice, so.....

When i'm in situations like this, I actually realize that I am essentially wrong (which has been pointed out), and then I whine and moan and negotiate as much as I can in spite of that. If you do it well enough, it will probably work. If it is an old Chinese lady, well.... never mind.

Technically you are responsible for the full contract. The deposit is supposed to cover damages, not loss of rent. Here in the USA, we try to hold people to the full lease, but this is only enforceable if you sue. I highly doubt immigration would have anything to do with your breach of contract. Personally, the fair thing to do would probably be paying the 1400thb and leaving the landlord the deposit.

I'd be a little slower to pass judgment here, until I knew the reason for leaving. "A man's word" is a two way agreement.

I had a friend that signed a 6 month lease last year, then felt kind of tingly every time he turned on his kitchen faucet. Landlord refused to send in an electrician or allow my friend to do same. Friend (wisely) moved out after a week. Lost his deposit, but refused to pay the rest of the lease. I thought that seemed fair...

OP, you're legally (and probably morally) on the hook for the whole 24,000, plus the electric and other bills.

You are actually still liable for the remainder of the contract also, not only your loss of deposit!

It depends on how watertight the contract is, but some people have been caught at immigration on the way home!

Agree with the first part, but in over 20 years I've never heard of anyone being caught at immigration for bailing out of a short lease.

However, you seem to have heard of 'some' people, so it must be a common occurrence around your way.

Thanx for the advice. I'm leaving because we dont want to stay in Pattaya, we are moving to Isan. There is no real contract, just a receipt where 3 month is stated and the deposit of 8000 baht is also stated. I will probably pay all three month. I will come here once or twice during this period anyway. I pay 16 000 baht and will get 8000 baht back, so i get 2 month for 8000 baht now.

You are actually still liable for the remainder of the contract also, not only your loss of deposit!

It depends on how watertight the contract is, but some people have been caught at immigration on the way home!

Agree with the first part, but in over 20 years I've never heard of anyone being caught at immigration for bailing out of a short lease.

However, you seem to have heard of 'some' people, so it must be a common occurrence around your way.

Nothing solid, only forum speak! except for the fact that I do know of someone actually nabbed for not paying his apartment rent at the old Don Munag airport.