Wheres The Best Place In The World To Holiday?

krisb

yup ment Tasmania in OZ awesome place.

Yes, now if only I could have told you before hand go visit Weymouth over there!

Best place in Australia for a holiday, been allover this country and it wins easily. According to me anyway!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have traveled widely, something like 40 countries plus, and some places make a strong impression for life, even if only visited briefly, and for me Cappadocia Turkey makes that cut. I was there in winter with snow all around and you couldn't not think OTHERWORLDLY. Of course sometimes it depends on what you were doing, who you were with, what age you were, etc. In that sense I will never forget swimming off Capri Italy in a hiso private Italian beach club that my buddies and I crashed into when I was only 15.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well, I have traveled widely, something like 40 countries plus, and some places make a strong impression for life, even if only visited briefly, and for me Cappadocia Turkey makes that cut. I was there in winter with snow all around and you couldn't not think OTHERWORLDLY. Of course sometimes it depends on what you were doing, who you were with, what age you were, etc. In that sense I will never forget swimming off Capri Italy in a hiso private Italian beach club that my buddies and I crashed into when I was only 15.

Looks interesting!

Places i have been which will always return , some with my haf thai daughter, some without

Nepal

Bali

Kashmir

Egypt

Paris, southern France

Northern Laos

Athens

Morrocco

America!!!!

To many to list beyond that but u get the idea thumbsup.gif

It all depends on what u want to do an the age of ur daughter? lay on a Beach or see places and people.

Yes, great recommendations. I think we're going to S. France this May.

My favs: Galapagos, Machu Picchu, Torres del Paine, France (well, heck....most of Europe!), Bali, Japan (love to visit here), China, India (if you can take it), Jordan, Argentina/Chile...and have to mention Italy.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Blackpool. You'll love it.

And you can walk along the promenade holding your little stick of Blackpool Rock and having a nibble.

Great memories, but I think Luxor with all its splendours, Aswan and a couple of nights on a Felucca.

• Like 1

Places i have been which will always return , some with my haf thai daughter, some without

Nepal

Bali

Kashmir

Egypt

Paris, southern France

Northern Laos

Athens

Morrocco

America!!!!

To many to list beyond that but u get the idea thumbsup.gif

It all depends on what u want to do an the age of ur daughter? lay on a Beach or see places and people.

Nepal!....thats on our list! Our daughters still very young by the time we go she will be under a year old. Way I see it is thats not stopping us, but we arent going hiking up mountains with her in tow. So probably looking at ground level type things also gotta keep wifes visa issues in mind although she is here in Oz on a partner visa so shouldnt be to hard to get any visa considering now she works here and earns bloody good money, shes on 40k a year or in her mind 1.2million baht!

Nepal is a great setup of tea house trekking. Hire a few porters (cheap), put on your day pack and head off. I know they've been doing a road up part of the way of the old path. But if you can do 7 days I'm sure it'd be fantastic. Absolutely beautiful. Annapurna Circuit is what I'm thinking of, and the one I did, but there are others.

Easy walking (if you don't go over the pass), stunning scenery.

If you're a little more adventurous, some truly amazing places to visit are Namibia, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Madagascar. The cost of living is really low and you'll find very little mass tourism there. When in Namibia, make sure you also visit the breath-taking Victoria Falls (easy flight from Windhoek) in Zambia/Zimbabwe.

Other great places are the "safer" Central Asian, Caspian Sea and Black Sea former Soviet republics, such as Kazakhstan, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and - to a certain extent - Georgia.

In the end it all depends on what you intend to get out of a vacation. If you're only up for a beach holiday, try French Polynesia (as some posters have already suggested), some of the smaller Caribbean island nations (although getting there is rather expensive and time-consuming) or some of the Central American countries like Honduras, Belize, and yes, even Nicaragua (ask Thaksin!).

Europe (southern France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, sothern Germany, Portugal, the Greek islands, just to mention a few) can be extraordinarily charming, but you've got to have a much larger travel budget. Europe is not cheap.

As you are an aussie why not try Redfern for the excitement on a Saturday night. biggrin.png

Your youngest would prevent you from doing a lot but why not try across the ditch?

Fly into Christchurch and get a motorhome to drive down to Queenstown, many bars and quite trendy, but can be expensive. It is a most beautiful town. Can take the family up to Remarkables for the snow. Jump on a chopper to look at the glaziers etc. Then drive up the other side of the country. While up the top have a look at Nelson and down to the Marlborough Plains for the wine etc.

South Island of NZ has a lot to offer, a bit expensive at times but it sure has a lot of natural beauty.

I can't believe I'm an aussie and giving NZ a wrap. What has come over me. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Have you considered Winter holidays ??? The Wife and I love combining a Christmas trip home to the UK with a week in the Alps skiing...

St Anton in Austria and Wegen near Interlaaken in Switzerland are places which stand out in memory.

I'm considering a month in NZ with mobile home / RV... I'll have to look into that a bit more... FDog has me sold already !

Santorini Greece has the best views in the world. If I had a bucket list it would be no: 1

Would love to have breakfast on the terrace just like in pic

post-12864-0-46899200-1359387526_thumb.j

post-12864-0-55896700-1359387544_thumb.p

But having said that been to Japan 5 times and anywhere in Japan you can't go wrong, my fav's

are Osaka, Sapporo, Takayama, Nara, Hakodate and on any budget ,not like people think.

BTW going Osaka again next month clap2.gif Last year climbed Mt Fuji! All the way to Top! It was ouchhh!

But for something closer Penang is good for anytime and Families, love those dim sum restaurants, Ice Chendol Specials, cheap, plus walking around town shopping or beaches close by.

Ok maybe not that special but......

Or if you love beaches rent a car at Perth Western Australia and drive coast road south and to Meelup Beach Dunsborough WA. (google it)

Have a beach to yourself or the family @ the best beaches in the world.

post-12864-0-87519100-1359388859_thumb.j

post-12864-0-08390400-1359388842_thumb.j

• Like 1

Best budget place i have ever been to is Bucharest Romania. They have everything of my interest.

Cheap quality food.

Affordable accomodation.

Refined culture

Extreme poverty( the country side has the same face as LOS)

Gypsies

Gypsie music

Former dictatorsship. Ceascescu's palace is impressive!

Also it is the only Europan country that provides the same, ehm 'attractions' as Thailand does for single men, that is...

• Like 1

Best budget place i have ever been to is Bucharest Romania. They have everything of my interest.

Cheap quality food.

Affordable accomodation.

Refined culture

Extreme poverty( the country side has the same face as LOS)

Gypsies

Gypsie music

Former dictatorsship. Ceascescu's palace is impressive!

Also it is the only Europan country that provides the same, ehm 'attractions' as Thailand does for single men, that is...

I can't find out on google if they have a retirement visa. I found some reference for EU members which is easy, but not for Aus. or US or Canada. It is cheap to live there, the girls are caucasion if you like that, but there's still a language barrier although easier to learn. Just curious if anyone knows. What little I found shows a $US6,000 per year income requirement, but that was EU. I can get a 90 day visa and go have some 'fun.'

Nova Scotia Canada, hire a car and go exploring. Tons of history and scenery, make a side trip to Prince Edward Island, drive up to Cape Breton, Check out the Bay of Funday, stay in B&B's in small fishing villages up and down the coast. Late July / August for good beach weather, March / April for the cheery and apple blossoms in the valley & September October for spectacular colors of the hardwood forests as the leafs change color.

would kind of depend on the individuals tastes yes.

For sure! We want to hear that place that always stuck in your mind. That holiday location perhaps you used to visit with family or as a kid or that great location only the locals know about.

Our only criteria would be not to cold and we have a young baby plus rooms at $1000 a night are a bit much!

i cannot remember how many countries ive been, would love to know your interests to help.

you like tropical islands, or european old style places etc etc.

for tropcal is check koh lipe,

Old style Europe sounds nice!

Italy, for the food and architecture. In the south, world's best pizza and the Amalfi coast drive. In the north, food, culture, wineries, Maserati.

Hawaii is hard to beat if you want perfect weather, tropical islands, clean air, clean water, and very multicultural...cheap it's not though it is possible to visit Hawaii without taking a second mortgage.

Nice place, but not so friendly people. When you go to a Restaurant they almost throw the food onto the table.

OP is from Australia so he has a Hawaii in Australia it's called 'Gold Coast' plus there is Springbrook and Mt Tamborine on the mountains ,but having said that , floods there at the moment so it's all blocked off.

• Like 1

I may be prejudiced. But, I am not on this topic.

I lived in USA for 40 years. Travelled extensively all over the world. I now live very happily in Chiang Mai. Living in Thailand since January 2010. A recent survey conducted by a leading polling body listed SRI LANKA as THE PLACE to visit in 2013. I am born in Sri Lanka and I wish to assure you - go to that beautiful island for a great vacation. The people are very friendly, generous, there is no war. The food is as great as Thailand. But, may be more spicy. There are many 5 star hotels. I recommend that you go to the agoda.com web-site for the best prices. Not the hotels directly.. Do the tours from your hotel.

The South is great for anything to with the sea and the water. Colombo is the capitol. Sri Lanka has a great history. In fact, Budhism came to Thailand from Sri Lanka.. This is a paradise on earth. I still prefer to live as a retiree in Thailand. Good luck to all of you.

Cheers

james

Hello my friend ,

Have you ever heard a place called Reunion Island? It's a French colony,tropical island. Interesting mixture of Indian,Chinese,Malay etc majority Chatolic mostly speak French and use Euro as their currency. I have a friend who lives here and he prefers here than living in France.it's really like one of the Asian countries..If you're interested do contact me for more info

To answer your question you need to delve into the notion of 'holiday-ness'.

A primary concern for tourists is authenticity. They seek the 'real'. "See the real Thailand!". But their very presence as the transactional tourist leads to failure.

There is only one solution & the one i adopt. I travel to war zones for my holidays and live my life in holiday zones.

I recommend-- and I'm not joking-- Algeria, Northern Iraq or Eastern Afghanistan. If you are risk averse then the west bank or Kosovo may satisfy you.

When i sat in the compound of the arab (who looked like he'd just fallen out of the Lawrence of Arabia movie) with tea in hand and spoke of the tribe's difficulties .... Without any suggestion of touristic purchase of the experience..... Well, that sir, is the only worthwhile holiday.

• Like 1