Backup A Laptop With Dvd-rw, Is It Possible?

bolognamare

I'd like to avoid to use the removable HD for daily backup.

On my laptop (with double-layer dvd-rw recorder) i have only 8,0 Gbytes (don't need more).

Can i use a double-side DVD-RW and program my laptop for the daily-night backup (after the virus scan)?

Do you know any good freeware software to do that? :o

As long as iyou can back everything on one or two disks, it should work. I got into trouble trying to do a backup of my laptop @50gB because the burning software crashed on the 5th (SL) disk.

If you go the RW route, you are going to want to have a media rotation scheme (different disk for each day of the week, maybe a read-only version once a month, and sequence replacement of the RW disks.)

I can't recommend a good program, though.

Backing up to CD's takes forever not to mention having to change disks. I bought a 40 gig 7200 rpm hard drive and an enclosure. It plugs into the USB 2 port. I can back up my entire computer in about 25 minutes using the already installed Windows back up program.

Had I known how easy it was I would have bought the lap top hard drive and enclosure because it is much smaller and doesn't need a separate power supply.

Another VERY attractive option is to use a thumb drive. The one gig plug and play high speed USB flash memory sticks have come way down in price. If you save all the new stuff in your documents file at the end of the day you can simply download the entire documents file into the flash memory. If flash memory scares you buy two and back up the back up. The speed is awesome.

Edited by Gary A

On my laptop (with double-layer dvd-rw recorder) i have only 8,0 Gbytes (don't need more).

Can i use a double-side DVD-RW and program my laptop for the daily-night backup (after the virus scan)?

Yes you can but it will be a little expensive as rewritable DL's aren't available (yet). The costs of a R is about 220 Baht. When it's full, you've to buy a new one.

The best solutution: an (old) IDE with HDD case connected by USB.

Petch01

But why are you against a separate HD connected via USB? It's more reliable, faster, easier.

Because the dvd-rw once written, even if still linked to the laptop is not re-writable easy (from any hacking attack if i host there a mirror of my DynDNS-based website) as a removable hd, and it cannot be modified from any virus or malicious software (once written). Mainly a security matter.

Edited by bolognamare

Simply unplug the hard drive when it's not being used to backup and the best cracker in the world won't be able to access it.

If you are running the appropriate anti-virus software, you won't get anything that will wipe out both the laptop copy and the removable copy at the same time. If you get something malicious, then you simpy don't plug in the removeable drive until your system is clean.

Also, you're going to find it very slow to back up 8Gb per night onto DVD - to the point where you'll probably get lazy and forget to do it. Plus, rewritable optical media is not the most reliable.

Personally, speaking, I would make a complete back up onto DVD (non-rewritable) now. Then simply follow a regime of burning CDs at regular intervals (probably monthly). The removeable hard drive is going to be perfectly fine for nightly backup.

Also, you're going to find it very slow to back up 8Gb per night onto DVD - to the point where you'll probably get lazy and forget to do it. Plus, rewritable optical media is not the most reliable.

Personally, speaking, I would make a complete back up onto DVD (non-rewritable) now. Then simply follow a regime of burning CDs at regular intervals (probably monthly). The removeable hard drive is going to be perfectly fine for nightly backup.

Lazy? :D Yep!

What kind of removeable hard drive do you suggest me for a nightfly backup?

Firewire or USB? :o

I mean producer name and size (and price range) for 8Gbytes (or few Gbytes more and without AC adaptor, it must use the laptop "energy").

Edited by bolognamare

Lazy? :D Yep!

What kind of removeable hard drive do you suggest me for a nightfly backup?

Firewire or USB? :o

I mean producer name and size (and price range) for 8Gbytes (or few Gbytes more and without AC adaptor, it must use the laptop "energy").

I would recommend USB as you will find a USB socket on every computer that you encounter. Firewire is much less common (especially on desktop PCs). It's handy if you want to carry all your docs with you somewhere.

I'd also recommend that you get a laptop hard disc. Sure, they are a bit more expensive that the full-sized version, but with the right case, they will fit in your trouser pockets. They also get all their power from the USB cable.

For the case, they are all much the same, get one that looks pretty and uses screws to hold it together. Make sure it uses the standard USB connectors (full sized plug to connect to the PC, mini USB to the case). No wierdo cables.

For the size, I'm a bit out of touch but probably the smallest size you will be able to buy is 40Gb. so, you'll have lots of spare room rattling around there.

You could set up different folders on the disk and back up to a different one each night (ie mon, tues, etc ). That way, if you screw up a file by mistake, you have the previous 7 day's worth of copies to go back to

I'd also recommend that you get a laptop hard disc. Sure, they are a bit more expensive that the full-sized version, but with the right case, they will fit in your trouser pockets. They also get all their power from the USB cable.

For the case, they are all much the same, get one that looks pretty and uses screws to hold it together. Make sure it uses the standard USB connectors (full sized plug to connect to the PC, mini USB to the case). No wierdo cables.

For the size, I'm a bit out of touch but probably the smallest size you will be able to buy is 40Gb. so, you'll have lots of spare room rattling around there.

You could set up different folders on the disk and back up to a different one each night (ie mon, tues, etc ). That way, if you screw up a file by mistake, you have the previous 7 day's worth of copies to go back to

It seems ideal, even if my main fear is the needing of a complete backup (for ex if i loose my laptop or if it goes out of order). I cannot stop working for more than one day.

I have a new Toshiba satellite as laptop, do i need to buy a toshiba hard disk or can i use a cheaper one. Can you suggest any good link for the right hard disk + case?

I've found this NEW Toshiba 2,5 USB 1.1/2.0, 40Gb, 4200RPM, transfer until 480Mb/s on ebay for 105 euro (postage included), it seems the right one, what do you think?

Just for curiosity, is the girl in your avatar real? She seems a "real doll". :o

post-21624-1141106409_thumb.jpg

Edited by bolognamare

It seems ideal, even if my main fear is the needing of a complete backup (for ex if i loose my laptop or if it goes out of order). I cannot stop working for more than one day.

I have a new Toshiba satellite as laptop, do i need to buy a toshiba hard disk or can i use a cheaper one. Can you suggest any good link for the right hard disk + case?

I've found this NEW Toshiba 2,5 USB 1.1/2.0, 40Gb, 4200RPM, transfer until 480Mb/s on ebay for 105 euro (postage included), it seems the right one, what do you think?

Just for curiosity, is the girl in your avatar real? She seems a "real doll". :o

Well, with only 8gb of files, you can easily copy all of them each night onto the removable disc.

If time is critical to you, could you get up and running quickly in case you have to wipe and reinstall everything? For example, using Norton Ghost to make a complete backup of all your system settings is going to be quicker than having to reinstall windows, then install all your applications. Your data is going to be protected by copying to the removable, but your apps will not.

You can use any hard drive, not just Toshiba. Pick a decent brand (one that you have heard of) - http://www.cnet.com/ gives reviews. Your main concern should be reliability.

4200rpm is a slow disc speed - 7200rpm is a nicer speed and probably worth the little extra that it costs since you will be dumping big hunks of data at a time.

All the cases will be USB2.0 (USB 1.0 isn't fast enough to do it).

You can probably pick this up at Pantip/Fortune for a reasonable price. Plus, you can insist that they put it together for you and test it in front of you.

Well done on the avatar recognition. No fooling you.

Ciao Bolognamare (ma dai, il mare a bologna? :D ) I write in English for the forum

I use a program I donwloaded for free somewhere called Retrospect by Dantz. Also, on LaCie site, (www.lacie.com) there is a software called Silverkeeper which I also downloaded for free. Both can be used to back up yor PC on DVD-R

Buona fortuna,

Ciao Bolognamare (ma dai, il mare a bologna? :D ) I write in English for the forum

I use a program I donwloaded for free somewhere called Retrospect by Dantz. Also, on LaCie site, (www.lacie.com) there is a software called Silverkeeper which I also downloaded for free. Both can be used to back up yor PC on DVD-R

Buona fortuna,

Finalmente!!! Solo un italiano poteva capire il mio nickname!!! :D:D:D Bella utopia eh!!! :D

Thanks for suggestions, my firm coder today solved my problem (as always :D ), a simple 1Gb usb 2.0 pencil where to save the main stuff is enough (never had backup experiences, my pc has never needed it :D ). Simple things are always hidden behind a wall of wrong minds... :o

Tonight i will set up a WLAN in my house with a Hamlet Wireless Access Point 802.11g/b 4-Port (with VPN). I have to make tests with my laptop first to be in LOS.

Edited by bolognamare

Buona fortuna,

Finalmente!!! Solo un italiano poteva capire il mio nickname!!! :D:D:D Bella utopia eh!!! :D

Thanks for suggestions, my firm coder today solved my problem (as always :D ), a simple 1Gb usb 2.0 pencil where to save the main stuff is enough (never had backup experiences, my pc has never needed it :D ). Simple things are always hidden behind a wall of wrong minds... :D

Tonight i will set up a WLAN in my house with a Hamlet Wireless Access Point 802.11g/b 4-Port (with VPN). I have to make tests with my laptop first to be in LOS.

Quasi quanto il lido a Milano... You can use any of the two programs to back up to a USB drive. However, if you are setting up a network, a router like the Netgear 634U allows you to attach the drive there and it becames available on any computer in the network. My stuff would never fit on a 1Gb and I use a laptop drive in a MacAlly housing for portability. I partinioned it the same as the Acer drive with an extra one for my back ups. If my laptop drive ever fails, I'll switch them and I'll have the laptop up an running within minutes, even on the road...At least that's the plan :o

Sai, anche parte del mio nickname e' bolognese in fondo...da Borgo Panigale per essere esatti! Ducati Forever! Ciao dal belgio e spero di potermi presto aggiungere alla comunita' locale.

Quasi quanto il lido a Milano... You can use any of the two programs to back up to a USB drive. However, if you are setting up a network, a router like the Netgear 634U allows you to attach the drive there and it becames available on any computer in the network. My stuff would never fit on a 1Gb and I use a laptop drive in a MacAlly housing for portability. I partinioned it the same as the Acer drive with an extra one for my back ups. If my laptop drive ever fails, I'll switch them and I'll have the laptop up an running within minutes, even on the road...At least that's the plan :o

Sai, anche parte del mio nickname e' bolognese in fondo...da Borgo Panigale per essere esatti! Ducati Forever! Ciao dal belgio e spero di potermi presto aggiungere alla comunita' locale.

Il lido a Milano.. :D (tra bolognesi ci si intende :D:D:D ).

Thanks for sharing your backup plan, interesting and useful next.

Borgo Panigale (eri davvero lontano dal mare...), are you planning to expat in Los?

We could share more by PM-only if you like :D

Ducati? bella ma sono più da Honda... Hornet 600 :D

How are things in the heart of European Union? :D

Choose a good avatar. :D

Edited by bolognamare

Scusa per l'incomprensione, but only my Duc was born in Borgo Panigale: Via Cavalier Ducati 1: I was born in Milan (Sun Lùmbard, bauscia ma col coer in man!) but I have been an expat since I was 14. My father was tranferred to the US and then back to Europe. Yes, I am looking for a place to chill out and I have been to LOS several times but, like many, I am wondering if it is better to spend six month and keep my residence and health insurance in Europe or just pack my bags and move. In the quest for the perfect answer, I stumbled on this forum. So I want to thank everybody for all the good info here.... :o

Will PM you if I can figure out how so we can keep this off the forum: I am not too skilled with public forums.. :D so I haven't gotten to the avatar part either...