Un: Israel Settlement Activity Violates Law

News_Editor

UN: Israel settlement activity violates law < br />

2013-02-01 08:13:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

GENEVA (BNO NEWS) -- The United Nations (UN) on Thursday said Israel's settlement activity must halt, as it violates the law and the Palestinians' human rights.

The International Fact-Finding Mission on Israeli Settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) issued a report in which it states that a multitude of the human rights of the Palestinians are violated in various forms and ways due to the existence of the settlements.

The report states that settlements are established and developed for the exclusive benefit of Israeli Jews and are maintained and advanced through a system of total segregation between the settlers and the rest of the population living in the OPT.

This system of segregation, the report explained, is supported and facilitated by strict military and law enforcement control to the detriment of the rights of the Palestinian population.

The mission, which was dispatched in March 2012 by the UN Human Rights Council, stated that the violations are "all interrelated, forming part of an overall pattern of breaches that are characterized principally by the denial of the right to self-determination and systemic discrimination against the Palestinian people which occur on a daily basis."

Israeli governments have openly led, directly participated in, and had full control of the planning, construction, development, consolidation and encouragement of settlements since 1967, the report said.

Christine Chanet, chair of the three-member inquiry, said Israel must cease all settlement activities without preconditions, in accordance to the Fourth Geneva Convention.

Israel must "immediately initiate a process of withdrawal of all settlers from the OPT," the Mission adds, as well as ensure "adequate, effective and prompt remedy" to all Palestinian victims for the harm suffered as a consequence of human rights violations resulting from the settlements.

"The magnitude of violations relating to Israel’s policies of dispossessions, evictions, demolitions and displacements from land shows the widespread nature of these breaches of human rights," said Unity Dow, another member of the mission, which will formally present the report to the Security Council on March 18.

"The motivation behind violence and intimidation against the Palestinians and their properties is to drive the local populations away from their lands, allowing the settlements to expand," Dow added.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-02-01

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all well and good. But what are is the UN going to/ prepared to do about it ?

In the report in the link below, I find it unbelievable that Israel could find the report " bias ". And that this report would only " hurt peace efforts" .

http://news.ninemsn....settlers-report

UN could raise yet another resolution, but would again be ignored by Israel, complete list of UN Resolutions concerning Israel below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel#United_Nations_General_Assembly_resolutions

The allegations of UN bias by Israel maybe aligned to the Negroponte Doctrine. The UN historically consistently failed to raise sanctions against the Palestinian authorities, as well as the current rulers, Hamas, who reject the right off Israel to exist as a nation. "hurt peace efforts" is Israeli proproganda as they are concerned the Palestinians may take them to International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court; an opinion piece at:

It's not going to be a problem as Israel will just tell America to do what it's told and take the flak for them.

Perhaps in the past, but the Obama administration has not stepped up to support Israel as prior administrations have done. Too bad for all those American's that voted for change in the US actually got it. No more pandering to Zionist Jews.

Ah, the UNHRC, That motley shower of tinpot commie dictatorcships and backward Islamic theocracies. Considering the UNHRC have produced more motions against Israel than all other Countries put together tells you all you need to know about them, indeed Syria was penciled in to be the newest member before 60,000 dead bodies resulted from Assad having a spot of trouble. Needless to say the UNHRC was not exactly active either there or in Egypt.

I wouldn't have put it quite that strongly, but I think you're right that their CREDIBILITY is quite limited.

It's not going to be a problem as Israel will just tell America to do what it's told and take the flak for them.

Perhaps in the past, but the Obama administration has not stepped up to support Israel as prior administrations have done. Too bad for all those American's that voted for change in the US actually got it. No more pandering to Zionist Jews.

Never miss a chance to diss President Obama. Funny how the vast majority of American Jews (who also are majority pro Zionist) supported him this time, as they did last time. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The scope of this thread is very limited and will be moderated in a strict manner. Those who think that this is an opportunity to start taking off-topic pot-shots at either the Israelis or the Palestinians or bringing Obama into the mix, will find themselves suffering the consequences.

Please stay on-topic.

Added: There is a difference between the UNHCR and the UNHRC.

Edited by Scott

I read this statement regarding this report

Yigal Palmor, Spokesman of Israeli Foreign Ministry, said, "This latest report of the Human Rights Council is yet another counter-productive measure that will contribute nothing, sadly, to resolving the issue or to resolving the conflict. The Human Rights council has made itself a sad reputation of being systematically biased against Israel and this report is yet another unfortunate reminder of that."

As I haven't paid much attention to the workings of this council before I notice that one of the members is Professor Yuval Shany who is Israel's member on the HRC.

My question is does anyone know if Yuval Shany agreed with the contents of the report or as Israel's member on the Human Rights Council was he a dissenting voice?

Edited by midas

Yigal Palmor, Spokesman of Israeli Foreign Ministry, said, "This latest report of the Human Rights Council is yet another counter-productive measure that will contribute nothing, sadly, to resolving the issue or to resolving the conflict. The Human Rights council has made itself a sad reputation of being systematically biased against Israel and this report is yet another unfortunate reminder of that."

As I haven't paid much attention to the workings of this council before I notice that one of the members is Professor Yuval Shany who is Israel's member on the HRC.

My question is does anyone know if Yuval Shany agreed with the contents of the report or as Israel's member on the Human Rights Council was he a dissenting voice?

Professor Shany was not a member writing the report. There were only three people writing the report:

Christine Chanet (France) as Chair, Asma Jahangir (Pakistian) and Unity Dow (Botswana)

Professor Shany has a record of being critical of Israeli government policies regarding settlements as are a significant portion of Israeli citizens in general. If you can find a statement by the professor about this specific report, it would be interesting to see.

Edited by Jingthing

Professor Shany was not a member writing the report. There were only three people writing the report:

Christine Chanet (France) as Chair, Asma Jahangir (Pakistian) and Unity Dow (Botswana)

Professor Shany has a record of being critical of Israeli government policies regarding settlements as are a significant portion of Israeli citizens in general. If you can find a statement by the professor about this specific report, it would be interesting to see.

thanks for the clarification Jingthing

So the report was written by the French member (the only member) and then Unity Dow a lawyer from Botswana and Asma Jahangir a lawyer from Pakistan, even though Botswana and Pakistan are not even members of the HRC?

blink.png How did that come about?

Yes you are right regarding Prof. Shany. This article (below) I found indicates he is certainly no supporter of government policies. From many references to him on the Internet, he seems to have a fairly balanced approach.

So as an outsider, it just looks to me like the Israeli government is exceptionally hard to please? You would think that they would at least draw on somebody like Prof. Shany now that he is on the council as Israel's official representative to at least use the opportunity to look for some common ground with other members. But instead they totally boycotted the whole meeting which is just going to cause more friction with the international community?

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/davidhornik/israel-boycotts-un-human-rights-council/

Edited by midas

I think it is obvious that the long standing issues between the Jewish state of Israel and the United Nations are much bigger than any one man, even if that man is on a U.N. council. I'm not sure what you expect the professor to do. He didn't write the report and he is at the U.N. as a representative of Israel which the facts do show has received a disproportionate amount of critical attention from the U.N. Not saying that Israel doesn't deserve criticism, but the argument that the criticism is not BALANCED and proportionate to violations of many other of the world's nations is credible.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

thanks for the clarification Jingthing

So the report was written by the French member (the only member) and then Unity Dow a lawyer from Botswana and Asma Jahangir a lawyer from Pakistan, even though Botswana and Pakistan are not even members of the HRC?

blink.png How did that come about?

Yes you are right regarding Prof. Shany. This article (below) I found indicates he is certainly no supporter of government policies. From many references to him on the Internet, he seems to have a fairly balanced approach.

So as an outsider, it just looks to me like the Israeli government is exceptionally hard to please? You would think that they would at least draw on somebody like Prof. Shany now that he is on the council as Israel's official representative to at least use the opportunity to look for some common ground with other members. But instead they totally boycotted the whole meeting which is just going to cause more friction with the international community?

http://frontpagemag....rights-council/

From your second link.

There is, of course, no particular reason to expect moral probity from the UNHRC. Its current membership includes human rights paladins like Saudi Arabia, China, Congo, Cuba, and Qatar, with a preponderance of nondemocratic countries—despite the Obama administration having insisted on U.S. membership since 2009 after the Bush administration had withdrawn from the body.

No doubt in line with current U.S admin policy Israel will be thrown under the UNHRC bus if it doesn't watch out, whilst all around tens of thousands of body bags result from the Arab spring, as the west and it's press stays silent.

Ah, the UNHRC, That motley shower of tinpot commie dictatorcships and backward Islamic theocracies. Considering the UNHRC have produced more motions against Israel than all other Countries put together tells you all you need to know about them, indeed Syria was penciled in to be the newest member before 60,000 dead bodies resulted from Assad having a spot of trouble. Needless to say the UNHRC was not exactly active either there or in Egypt.

Yes, that's because Israel managed to violate human rights, and the territorial integrity of its neighbours more often than all other countries put together. Where Assad is concerned, you will whine no matter the outcome. Assad stays in power, you whine. Obama and Europe put a taskforce together to remove him, you whine. The Al Queda types and Muslim brotherhood fighting Assad win, you will whine. It's a no-win situation, you are not to satisfy. That's because you don't really have an opinion, but rehash what Foxnews tells you.

If anyone encroaches on your estate and starts to build a house there, you shoot the bastard. You would concede this right to any person, as long as he's not a Palestinian.

• Like 2

Asked if Israel’s actions constituted war crimes, Ms. Chanet replied that its offenses fell under Article 8 of the International Criminal Court statute. “Article 8 of the I.C.C. statute is the chapter of war crimes,” she said at a news conference. “That is the answer.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/world/middleeast/un-panel-says-israeli-settlement-policy-violates-law.html

Yes, that's because Israel managed to violate human rights, and the territorial integrity of its neighbours more often than all other countries put together. Where Assad is concerned, you will whine no matter the outcome. Assad stays in power, you whine. Obama and Europe put a taskforce together to remove him, you whine. The Al Queda types and Muslim brotherhood fighting Assad win, you will whine. It's a no-win situation, you are not to satisfy. That's because you don't really have an opinion, but rehash what Foxnews tells you.

If anyone encroaches on your estate and starts to build a house there, you shoot the bastard. You would concede this right to any person, as long as he's not a Palestinian.

Very well said. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

One could hope Israel will merely ignore this latest outrage from the tinpot UN.

Ah, the UNHRC, That motley shower of tinpot commie dictatorcships and backward Islamic theocracies.

Indeed. A motley crew of archaic hypocrites. Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Arab terrorists shooting rockets at civilians in Israel violates the law too, but the hypocrites in the UN pretty much ignore that. bah.gif

Perhaps that is because Israel occupies them and treats them badly. What would you do if born in Gaza?

Lets not forget that one man's terrorist is another's patriot. Begin was a terrorist by any definition, yet became PM.