New Organised Harassment Scam By Police

nikkoid66

Talking about paying fines,I have a question to you folks.But first this:many years ago,when passing another car with my car,there were suddenly a fully drawn line in my drivingdirection,(and a "dotted" one on the other side) which we all know means,that I am not allowed to pass another vehicle there. I was almost past already,but missed it by a few meters.Got caught and had to pay a fine.Now,what can you do in a situation like this? Ram the other car,dissapear into thin air,break like crazy or what? I think the rule is,that you are not allowed to START passing,and already beeing there,you are allowed to finish in normal fashion.I have asked around,but nobody seems to know,or even understand,this question....The closest I have come was when asking a high-ranking Thai official,handling Thai DLs,he cleverly answered: It`s the same rule as in your country...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about paying fines,I have a question to you folks.But first this:many years ago,when passing another car with my car,there were suddenly a fully drawn line in my drivingdirection,(and a "dotted" one on the other side) which we all know means,that I am not allowed to pass another vehicle there. I was almost past already,but missed it by a few meters.Got caught and had to pay a fine.Now,what can you do in a situation like this? Ram the other car,dissapear into thin air,break like crazy or what? I think the rule is,that you are not allowed to START passing,and already beeing there,you are allowed to finish in normal fashion.I have asked around,but nobody seems to know,or even understand,this question....The closest I have come was when asking a high-ranking Thai official,handling Thai DLs,he cleverly answered: It`s the same rule as in your country...

strangly enough as it may seem , most thai law is similiar to british/american laws , how it is interpreted and enforced is a different matter , however i prefer the thai way , a few hundred baht and on your way . in the uk , tourist or not a driving offence would cost you big buck for sure .

There is a target priority in the scams regardless:

Bike drivers are more likely to fall victim to the scams

White people are more likely to fall victim to the scams

On those checkpoints you see only thai's getting stopped,

it's not a scam, it's exclusively a search for drugs & guns,

i guess you could say they are at the moment busy doing their job,

no doubt looking forward to peacefully scam money again, next day

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

The Op states that they will try anything to get a BATH from you ,well no police officer has ever asked me to give him a Bath. and i hope one never does .

Also in 7 years in Pattaya i have never ever been asked for a bribe ,only once have i been stopped when i made an illegal turn and i paid the fine next day at the police station ,also its not only tourists stopped ,its mainly Thais, personally i wouldnt let tourists ride m/bikes here ,most are worse than the Thai riders ,who at least know the rules.

Actually, th in Thai is pronounced as T.

So "actually" they're asking for a bat, must be starting a cricket team lol

I fail to see the scam?

I must have been stopped 100 times now, I have only ever paid a fine when I have broken a law, red light, helmet, speeding, out of date tax.

The other 90 times, paperwork check, on your way.

Edited by kevkev1888

So from what I gather from the OP he doesn't have a license.

So what is the problem.

Please don't go on about another country it has NO Bearing on Thailand , New Zealand , Antartica or anywhere else.

Whatever country you are in abide by their regs.

Stop Whining !!!

wai.gif

I fail to see the scam?

I must have been stopped 100 times now, I have only ever paid a fine when I have broken a law, red light, helmet, speeding, out of date tax.

The other 90 times, paperwork check, on your way.

Lucky you,

print out this form, keep it next to your DL and perhaps your luck will stay...

Thai traffic act dual language all in one.txt

Got into a checkpoint on my bike the other night. When the officer saw that I'm not a Thai, she said oh, you farang, you going going.... Cannot see a tourist oriented scam here...

...you must be blind.....20 years here And it,s been happening from day one...one rule for Thai,s one for farang....get an international license and you are ok ....it is a scam pure and simple

I have been stopped dozens of time on a bike all over the country, full licenced so no issue.

Don't start me on the highway police, they are just theives in uniform.

On a return trip to Udon Thani, a distance of 1200 klms, I was stopped 13 times.

This isn't policing, this is harrassment of every road user & nothing to do with farang drivers.

I have worked out how to beat them, don't acknowledge anything they say & just grunt at them as if you don't understand Thai or English.

It is then all too hard & they wave you on.

Cheers

Funny that, I've heard many stories like this but on my trips from pattaya to Khon Khen, an equally long highway drive, I've never been stopped (nor hardly ever seen a checkpoint). Maybe certain highways are more notorious than others. One sure cure would be to upgrade to a Merc or BMW :)

....funny that...I lived in udon up until 10 years ago and it was not funny going to bangkok In my pickup as the highway police were total thief s in uniform ...gave up driving and me and the wife used the bus to bangkok ....to many rosé wearing glass merchants appearing on this site ...cantankerous is the word...

hmmm, both of my maids told me they were also stopped and checked and fined before.

I really would like to have a Thai motorbike riding license. But... the place is so far away and I've heard it takes quite long time.

Why the police don't set up a service site in pattaya city for express process of motorbike license ?!?!?! sick.gif

hmmm, both of my maids told me they were also stopped and checked and fined before.

I really would like to have a Thai motorbike riding license. But... the place is so far away and I've heard it takes quite long time.

Why the police don't set up a service site in pattaya city for express process of motorbike license ?!?!?! sick.gif

Are you for real ?

Are you for real ?

Totally unbelievable, if you want a licence, go to a little trouble to get one like the rest of us.

The office is hardly too far away, maybe 200 baht return on a motorbike taxi if you dont have a bike yourself.

Check your busy diary & find a 3-4 hour slot on a week day, job done.

Perhaps they can organise a home visit licence service for lazy people, is that what you are suggesting.

• Like 2

I have been stopped dozens of time on a bike all over the country, full licenced so no issue.

Don't start me on the highway police, they are just theives in uniform.

On a return trip to Udon Thani, a distance of 1200 klms, I was stopped 13 times.

This isn't policing, this is harrassment of every road user & nothing to do with farang drivers.

I have worked out how to beat them, don't acknowledge anything they say & just grunt at them as if you don't understand Thai or English.

It is then all too hard & they wave you on.

Cheers

Funny that, I've heard many stories like this but on my trips from pattaya to Khon Khen, an equally long highway drive, I've never been stopped (nor hardly ever seen a checkpoint). Maybe certain highways are more notorious than others. One sure cure would be to upgrade to a Merc or BMW smile.png

....funny that...I lived in udon up until 10 years ago and it was not funny going to bangkok In my pickup as the highway police were total thief s in uniform ...gave up driving and me and the wife used the bus to bangkok ....to many rosé wearing glass merchants appearing on this site ...cantankerous is the word...

I have found having BKK plates on my car has reduced the number of times I have been stopped.

Maybe a coincidence but I think it helps.

Maybe its because at long last police are realising that tourists

1/ driving without adequate insurance

2/ driving with no driving license that covers Thailand

3/ driving reckless

4/ ignoring road signs then moan when they are stopped

5/ driving without crash helemt

i s that enough or u want more. Stop whinging and except that the cops are doing a better job to be safe on these roads.

Its no scam,as the fines have to be taken to soi 9 cop shop,so again u are wrong.There are many many more thais stopped than farangs,both day time and night.How many tourists would be done for drink driving at 1-00am in the morning,think about that one.There wouldnt be any expats on the darkside if this happens.

We all ask for more safety on the road,then when the cops do this,some frigging moan.

• Like 1

i see the comments here many times and i just laugh at the stupit people , even the comment "i showed my european driving license" thailand is not in the eu , wake up .

i have lived in thailand for 15 years , have thai license , full insurance ,government tax and never had any problem .

most of the idiots i see getting stopped have no helmet , no license and no sense . the big problem here is when you have a serious accident and have no license you will end up in jail

for a period of time and have to pay a lot of money as the insurance company will not pay out and the acident will be your fault as you have no license and should not have been driving

at all.

when will some people here ever learn , if you stay legal you will have no problems or a least very few .

stop trying to blame everything on someone else and act responsibily.

great post mate,see mine,very similar

• Like 1

Even had a mate got fined for turning left when he should have waited for the lights to change.Screamed at the cops for fining him 400 baht,even more so when they told him to go to soi 9 cop shop to pay the fine.He swore the cops picked on him,and there was no sign, so i drove up and low and behold,there is a huge sign there saying dont turn left,his comment was <deleted> cant i turn left lol lol

a long way from Pattaya,its only highway 36????

Are you for real ?

Totally unbelievable, if you want a licence, go to a little trouble to get one like the rest of us.

The office is hardly too far away, maybe 200 baht return on a motorbike taxi if you dont have a bike yourself.

Check your busy diary & find a 3-4 hour slot on a week day, job done.

Perhaps they can organise a home visit licence service for lazy people, is that what you are suggesting.

o r even paying tax for two maids,she must abe a very lazy person lol lol

The increase in police checks have certainly reduced my enjoyment of driving around Pattaya, even though I'm fully legal and always wear a helmet I still get stopped.

They recently changed the turn left on a red light rule at several junctions and hide around the corner waiting to nab unsuspecting motorists...the signs if there are any are confusing.

The checkpoints and no turn on left haven't helped the traffic flow one bit.

I think its a great idea to have a driving test center somewhere in Pattaya, maybe at one of the big supermarket car parks.

Organized criminals posing as police.

They have zero interest in actual police work or road safety.

These roadblocks are for raising cash.

I agree it could be done better like monitoring traffic and picking up guys that drive bad and such. But the people they are stopping here are fined for a real offence. The fact that its money for the police does not excuse them. Just wear a helmet, don't be drunk, and have a valid drivers license.

Yes its a bore to get stopped but if you don't do a thing they can't fine you.

I would much prefer if they used camera vans and record dangerous riding and really do something about that but that is time consuming and does not give them as much money. Face it the salaries are bad so they make extra money this way.

@ Somtampet: I dont have 2 maids at same time. 1 is the ex-maid. If you feel too bored, do something better than gossiping like street women. I just have my new born baby,hub needs to work during the week, and my parents are in hospital now in my country. I must have somebody to help me. ... Are you satisfied now ?!?!

@ Robinpattaya: Give you a sneer. But if it's your habit to slander others, jump to abrupt judgements etc, go ahead and have fun. Doesn't bother me.

Yes, I've been busy for long time and every day. If they have a branch site in downtown, I would have gone there already. There are so many short-term tourist using (small) motorbikes. They would have been fined many times before they find that place near Regent School.

Sorry, personally I think police here are poor in management and performance. Much more could have been done better: Setting up more cameras to reduce robberies/crimes, checking those building constructions at night and loud hotels and restaurants that disturb the residents nearby, etc and etc

@ Somtampet: I dont have 2 maids at same time. 1 is the ex-maid. If you feel too bored, do something better than gossiping like street women. I just have my new born baby,hub needs to work during the week, and my parents are in hospital now in my country. I must have somebody to help me. ... Are you satisfied now ?!?!

@ Robinpattaya: Give you a sneer. But if it's your habit to slander others, jump to abrupt judgements etc, go ahead and have fun. Doesn't bother me.

Yes, I've been busy for long time and every day. If they have a branch site in downtown, I would have gone there already. There are so many short-term tourist using (small) motorbikes. They would have been fined many times before they find that place near Regent School.

Sorry, personally I think police here are poor in management and performance. Much more could have been done better: Setting up more cameras to reduce robberies/crimes, checking those building constructions at night and loud hotels and restaurants that disturb the residents nearby, etc and etc

Susan lame excuse about the tourist not being able to find the other place... tourist cannot even get a drivers-license there in general you need a long term visa.

You want something but you don't want to go to the trouble (losing half a day just look how much time it would be back home) to get one. If your fined you got nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes police can always do things (dont catch me catch an other) better its the standard excuse all through the world. But i do agree its not about safety here but you still have to break the law before they catch you, you do so willingly as you know you need to get a drivers license but are just to lazy to get one.

Susan lame excuse about the tourist not being able to find the other place... tourist cannot even get a drivers-license there in general you need a long term visa.

You want something but you don't want to go to the trouble (losing half a day just look how much time it would be back home) to get one. If your fined you got nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes police can always do things (dont catch me catch an other) better its the standard excuse all through the world. But i do agree its not about safety here but you still have to break the law before they catch you, you do so willingly as you know you need to get a drivers license but are just to lazy to get one.

I disagree... I am a tourist on a 30 day visa wavier and have a valid motorcycle and car license for Thailand. This involved going to the drivers license office, completing relevant forms, and producing my IDL and US drivers license... easy as pie. I've had it for a while and each time I am stopped they see the license smile and wave me on.

Kurt

i got stopped at the very same check point on my scooter today (2nd rd / Dolphin island).....

showed my thai driving licence (didn't ask to see the bike's tax disc) and was cheerfully waived on my way.....

if you've got the right documents and you are no breaking the law (ie helmet worn, bike not modified etc), in my experience, you've go no problems..

Getting Thai D/L was a doddle - no test, just showed my UK licence and was in and out (with thai bike and car licences) in under 45 mins.....

post-95864-0-72214200-1360161172_thumb.j

Good reply.

Can I just add you could always holiday in France!.