Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Plants In Bangkok Area?

qualtrough

I am looking to purchase one or two tea plants, maybe green tea, hopefully in the Bangkok vicinity. I have not encountered them (to my knowledge) at Jatujak or up in Pathum Thani, but then again I have only been looking for them recently. If anyone knows of a place where I can buy them in or around Bangkok, or of anyone sailing them by mail in Thailand (I can read Thai so a Thai website is OK) I would be grateful.

EDIT: Well, that was dumb. Right after this post I did a search in Thai and found at least one outfit that sells green tea plants by mail:

http://www.nanagarden.com/ต้นกล้าชาเขียว-สูง-20-ซม-117860-4.html

Edited by qualtrough

Bummer, called the outfit today and they no longer supply green tea plants. So, if anyone knows of some outfit supplying those (green tea or other tea plants) in the BKK vicinity I would be happy to hear about it. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The problem with Camellia sinensis is that it needs a cool night climate, as it would get in northern regions of Thailand, Cameron Highlands and Sabah State, Malaysia...

I doubt very much you find any around BKK as it is just too warm, domed to failure... so I doubt nurseries with bring in....

Thais are not exactly known as tea drinkers.... but it should grow in the northern areas... any of you guys in the north ever seen?

There was an interesting program on this very subject on the History Channel the other evening.... I believe they said that Camellia sinensis was native to some regions of Thailand.... guess if they had been colonized by the Brits, in the early days, wink.png the story of tea, might be different here! whistling.gif