P M Not Interested In Mudslinging

Lite Beer

BANGKOK POLL TRACKER

PM 'not interested in mudslinging'

The Nation

30200187-01_big.jpg?1361057959944

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, at right, helps Pheu Thai Party candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen, with raised hand,woo voters in Bangkok

newsjsBANGKOK:Joining Pheu Thai Party gubernatorial candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen on the campaign trail in Bangkok's Lat Phrao district yesterday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the party was not interested in mudslinging but focused on acquainting voters with its policies for the capital.

Yingluck said she instructed Pongsapat and his team to refrain from attacking rival candidates and to campaign constructively, because voters want to know how they would benefit under the next governor.

Pongsapat said that if voters choose him, the city management would have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues. Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said the central government could, for example, bring maximum benefits to city residents in integrating the city's mass-transportation systems. At present the systems operate independently, but the government could help set up a joint maintenance centre.

Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai said the party had not yet conducted any opinion polls as it wanted to see the results of other polls first.

Responding to the Democrat Party's concern that in the final stretch of the campaign before the March 3 ballot parties would resort to mudslinging, Phumtham said Pheu Thai would follow the PM's policy of thinking positive, Phumtham said.

Democrats take to Skytrain

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and governor candidate MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra campaigned for votes in the Klong Chan community and at Bang Kapi market yesterday morning. They were warmly greeted by traders in both areas.

In the afternoon, Abhisit and Sukhumbhand took the Skytrain from Morchit to Victory Monument to meet voters in the area before hopping back on the light-rail system and getting off for visits to talk to voters at Siam, Chitlom and Asoke stations.

Abhisit said the Democrt Party's policy on traffic congestion is to promote greater use of mass-transit systems.

Campaign vows often broken: poll

Of the 3,631 respondents to an Abac poll surveyed from February 8-15, 46 per cent said they were disappointed with previous Bangkok governors because they did not fulfil campaign promises; while 11 per cent said former governors had failed to solve the problems of the capital.

A further 7.8 per cent believed they were corrupt; 6.9 per cent said promised help was delayed (for example, some have still not received promised flood compensation); and 6.5 per cent said some governors had bought votes.

About 34 per cent of those responding to the survey said they wanted the Bangkok governor to be given more power because they believed the capital's problems would be solved more effectively and the governor would have less political interference to deal with; while 19 per cent said the governor had enough power.

Around 22 per cent wanted the new governor to solve traffic congestion; 12 per cent wanted measures to alleviate the rising cost of living; 8 per cent wanted anti-drug measures; 5 per cent wanted to see less garbage and cleaner water; and 4 per cent wanted the capital to be free of crime.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-17

• Like 1

Pongsapat said that if voters choose him, the city management would have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues.

Reminds me of the puppet masters comments concerning village fund allocations and general improvement schemes.Those areas that vote for our candidate will receive help those who do not will get nothing.

Political blackmail thrives under the P.T.P. ( Parasite and Tick Party) puppet manipulation.

• Like 2

Pongsapat said that if voters choose him, the city management would have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues.

And if voters don't choose him, the city management would not have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues... am i reading that threat correctly?

Thats exactly the way I read it. Sounds rather threatening, for BKK voters. Vote for Ponsapat or suffer.

And if voters don't choose him, the city management would not have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues... am i reading that threat correctly?

Yep. Probably have budget cut again as well. Who needs to sling mud when you can just threaten the electorate on the consequences of not doing things the PT way.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Yep. Probably have budget cut again as well. Who needs to sling mud when you can just threaten the electorate on the consequences of not doing things the PT way.

Thats not the way I read it. So there you are, just a difference of opinion on English comprehension - I wonder how that reads in the original Thai, would there be any ambiguity or is it just down to a few old bitters on the forum?

• Like 1

We would all notice how the Cop shop building fiasco has now gone quiet over Pongy...

The media as usual has been gagged.

Thats strange, the media were still reporting on it yesterday

http://thaifinancialpost.com/2013/02/16/new-constractor-will-be-hired-to-finish-construction-of-police-stations/

with more revelations likely due as more people are questioned in the ongoing investigation.

Silly me, of course the media has been gagged, the enemy PTP are in government aren't they?

Thats not the way I read it.

Go on then, tell us. How did you read it?

• Like 2

If I lived/associated with the types that the PM does on a daily basis I think I would refrain from pointing out the mistakes/faults others have made, also.

Maybe a style show would be more fitting than a review of hers or anyones, government record/management style.

"About 34 per cent of those responding to the survey said they wanted the Bangkok governor to be given more power because they believed the capital's problems would be solved more effectively and the governor would have less political interference to deal with"

And there's the PM standing next to the prospective governor...... Hum, this surely makes sense to the respondents of the survey.

-mel.

• Like 1

"About 34 per cent of those responding to the survey said they wanted the Bangkok governor to be given more power because they believed the capital's problems would be solved more effectively and the governor would have less political interference to deal with"

And there's the PM standing next to the prospective governor...... Hum, this surely makes sense to the respondents of the survey.

-mel.

Par for the course. Doing things that make sense is certainly not her forte.

Just in case muttley reads this smile.png , forte - an asset of special worth or utility.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

-mel.

Maybe it does to the other 66 percent.

-mel.

Just in case muttley reads this smile.png , forte - an asset of special worth or utility.

I'm well versed in the English Language and its comprehension thank you, unknown to some, the two skills are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by muttley

-mel.

I'm well versed in the English Language and its comprehension thank you, unknown to some, the two skills are not mutually exclusive.

That is good to know. Now I won't have to explain the meaings of words wai.gif .

"Yingluck said she instructed Pongsapat and his team to refrain from attacking rival candidates and to campaign constructively, because voters want to know how they would benefit under the next governor."

I have to commend her on her approach, or at least her public approach

On a cynical note, Its hard to mudsling in a drought biggrin.png

Edited by jamhar

Thats not the way I read it. So there you are, just a difference of opinion on English comprehension - I wonder how that reads in the original Thai, would there be any ambiguity or is it just down to a few old bitters on the forum?

Maybe you're right but I've re-read the article and the implication is that only a PT candidate can bring the benefits being discussed. Could be a translation error but then again maybe not.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thats not the way I read it.

Go on then, tell us. How did you read it?

I thought that was blindingly obvious - the same way it was said, no obfuscation, no controversy, no conspiracy just a plain statement of intent.

This is the way it was said:

The very obvious implication of stating that if voters chose him, the city management would have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues, is that if voters didn't vote for him, the city management would not have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues, or at the very least, would have less support.

If he wasn't implying any of that, why didn't he just say, vote for me or don't vote for me, it will make no difference with regards having the support of central government, they will give it whomever gets voted in?

• Like 1

I thought that was blindingly obvious - the same way it was said, no obfuscation, no controversy, no conspiracy just a plain statement of intent.

This is the way it was said:

The very obvious implication of stating that if voters chose him, the city management would have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues, is that if voters didn't vote for him, the city management would not have the support of the central government on water management, the mass transit system and other issues, or at the very least, would have less support.

If he wasn't implying any of that, why didn't he just say, vote for me or don't vote for me, it will make no difference with regards having the support of central government, they will give it whomever gets voted in?

I can only advise you never to take up a career in political speech writing though I suspect a further career is not on the cards.

We would all notice how the Cop shop building fiasco has now gone quiet over Pongy...

The media as usual has been gagged.

Thats strange, the media were still reporting on it yesterday

http://thaifinancial...olice-stations/

with more revelations likely due as more people are questioned in the ongoing investigation.

Silly me, of course the media has been gagged, the enemy PTP are in government aren't they?

If you were diligent Mutley you would know it does not matter who is in politics, all media is controlled by the Mass Communication Authority of Thailand and the Public Relations Department. This is simply another one of those times. And oh yes, the PTP are certainly the enemy of Thailand, thanks you for making the point.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 1

I can only advise you never to take up a career in political speech writing though I suspect a further career is not on the cards.

I was being tongue in cheek. I know full well why he said it the way he did, and why he wouldn't have said it the way i suggested, and that is because of what he wanted to imply - an implication that was blindly obvious it seems to everyone but you, who somehow managed to read it minus the implication. The wonders of those red tinted shades no doubt...

]Thats exactly the way I read it. Sounds rather threatening, for BKK voters. Vote for Ponsapat or suffer.

Not really than much different than in other countries. Political leaders that have strong working relationships/alliances with the central government tend to have their phone calls answered.

• Like 1