Nigerians And Soi 3

diddums

Just wondering if it is a coincidence that there is a western union on the corner of soi 3 and sukhumvit ?

On another note...anyone seen the africans selling rocks at jatujuk market...every weekend morning they unload tons of rocks onto the sidewalk and sell them...or try to....tough bargainers too....one thai guy trying to get a rock for 1k baht...but they would not budge below 1500.

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how much tea money is being paid to the cops, but that whole Nigerian/Katoey infested stretch right up to Soi 11 is a blight on Bangkok and the image of foreigners in Thailand, even if the Thais openly differentiate between 'chocolat man' and white Farang. I have never seen the alleged 'problem' others see with NEP - it's tucked away down Soi 4 and not right in the faces of Thais driving down Suk and family groups trying to navigate the street stalls - but allowing people who are clearly pimps and drug pushers to congregate so openly around Soi Arab makes a farce of the 'law' in Bangkok. None of us wants Thailand transformed into a nanny state, but there is a point where the people at the top have to recognise that Disneyland has enough scary rides - time to put the carnies on the next plane out of town.

(I read somewhere that the small aggregation of bars on Soi 7/1 is dying a slow, inglorious death - little wonder, and they have their own authorities to thank)

The type of tourists have changed.....nothing else has imho.

• Like 1

I love the fact that there is a Currency Exchange right at the entrance to the newly redeveloped NEP. The hole in the wall ATM further down has been there for years, but I seem to recall the currency exchange being further from the entrance and, if memory serves me, it closed a lot earlier. An associate took me a Chinese Thai guy who operates a currency exchange out of his home (complete with fearless Chihuahua guard dogs, no less ..) - still the best exchange rate I've ever gotten in Bangkok - but I'm not going to catch a cab to Soi 22 at 8pm to change money. I suspect that the Chinese Thai guy has something a little more persuasive under the counter than the dogs, and I got the distinct impression that I wouldn't have even been allowed in if I hadn't been with a TG he knew (clearly a gal with a lot of foreign currency to change...). Call me weird, but I kinda dig that whole 'world within a world' thing. No signs - just a roller door in front of Aladdin's cave.

Just curios. Where exactly is this Thai Chinese currency exchange located. Me and the TW are frequently in the area in visits to Bangkok and if there I something in the immediate area with a better rate than Vayu exchange I would be most interested.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

There has been a exchange at the entrance of nep as long as i can remember......only closed for a short while when renovating at one stage....not the latest renos

I love the fact that there is a Currency Exchange right at the entrance to the newly redeveloped NEP. The hole in the wall ATM further down has been there for years, but I seem to recall the currency exchange being further from the entrance and, if memory serves me, it closed a lot earlier. An associate took me a Chinese Thai guy who operates a currency exchange out of his home (complete with fearless Chihuahua guard dogs, no less ..) - still the best exchange rate I've ever gotten in Bangkok - but I'm not going to catch a cab to Soi 22 at 8pm to change money. I suspect that the Chinese Thai guy has something a little more persuasive under the counter than the dogs, and I got the distinct impression that I wouldn't have even been allowed in if I hadn't been with a TG he knew (clearly a gal with a lot of foreign currency to change...). Call me weird, but I kinda dig that whole 'world within a world' thing. No signs - just a roller door in front of Aladdin's cave.

I dont know how much tea money is being paid to the cops, but that whole Nigerian/Katoey infested stretch right up to Soi 11 is a blight on Bangkok and the image of foreigners in Thailand, even if the Thais openly differentiate between 'chocolat man' and white Farang. I have never seen the alleged 'problem' others see with NEP - it's tucked away down Soi 4 and not right in the faces of Thais driving down Suk and family groups trying to navigate the street stalls - but allowing people who are clearly pimps and drug pushers to congregate so openly around Soi Arab makes a farce of the 'law' in Bangkok. None of us wants Thailand transformed into a nanny state, but there is a point where the people at the top have to recognise that Disneyland has enough scary rides - time to put the carnies on the next plane out of town.

(I read somewhere that the small aggregation of bars on Soi 7/1 is dying a slow, inglorious death - little wonder, and they have their own authorities to thank)

That area never used to be infested with the "aforementioned characters" ten years ago. This is something thats been getting worse year by year and right under the nose of the authorities.

I totally agree with the other poster saying its a stain on the image of Thailand.

Are they not allowed to stain up the place as much as your kind ?

I dont know how much tea money is being paid to the cops, but that whole Nigerian/Katoey infested stretch right up to Soi 11 is a blight on Bangkok and the image of foreigners in Thailand, even if the Thais openly differentiate between 'chocolat man' and white Farang. I have never seen the alleged 'problem' others see with NEP - it's tucked away down Soi 4 and not right in the faces of Thais driving down Suk and family groups trying to navigate the street stalls - but allowing people who are clearly pimps and drug pushers to congregate so openly around Soi Arab makes a farce of the 'law

?' in Bangkok. None of us wants Thailand transformed into a nanny state, but there is a point where the people at the top have to recognise that Disneyland has enough scary rides - time to put the carnies on the next plane out of town.

That area never used to be infested with the "aforementioned characters" ten years ago. This is something thats been getting worse year by year and right under the nose of the authorities.

I totally agree with the other poster saying its a stain on the image of Thailand.

Edited by diddums
  • Like 1

Just curios. Where exactly is this Thai Chinese currency exchange located. Me and the TW are frequently in the area in visits to Bangkok and if there I something in the immediate area with a better rate than Vayu exchange I would be most interested.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm afraid I was taken down several winding alleyways to get there - as I said, I wouldnt even have known it was there if I hadnt been taken by a local, and doubt I would have been served if I had somehow found it on my own.

diddums - mate, I think you are better than that. The people we are talking about arent simply 'Nigerians' - they are pimps and drug pushers, simple as that.

No doubt. Have been offered the 'goods' on a number of occasions in that area by these chaps. Normally prowl in pairs. Whose got the scrubbing brush?

I guess the Western Union is why lots of Farang dregs hang around Nana as well....

Er, no - they are there for the beer and the whores, usually in that order :D

Probably the oddest development on Soi 4, IMO, has been the appearance of Farang women in the bars, and I still laugh when I see a Farang family dashing down Soi 4 - presumably on their way to a poorly chosen hotel further down the Soi - with their kids hands firmly pressed into their own. As one of the few here who will admit to having stayed at the Nana Hotel, I can only imagine how many nights a family has to stay at that particular hotel before they realise where their thrifty ways have landed them.

For all that, it remains one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in - stark contrast to a 4-star in Sillypore where I could have gleefully strangled everyone in the adjoining room and another in Johor which seemed to cater to the Malay family market. The Nana may be a dump, but its my kind of dump - we can speculate on the DNA on those bedspreads and pillows, but that's a game you don't want to play in any hotel .... ;)

• Like 1

The problem with that area is hardly the nigerians, though they are a nuisance. No the real problem is the growing number of sois now dominated by burka clad middle easterners. Like locusts the spread further and further devouring local culture. I hope Thailand wises up faster than Europe.

Indeed, much less perferable than the larger louts who used to have a bit of class, and had the decency not to crack open their first beer until at least 8am.

The problem with the area and indeed most of the country are the often fat, past their prime, often rude and arrogant know-it-all, sloppy dressing, previously failed White Westerners who run prostitution houses, traffic drugs into the country, run illegal businesses, spread disease through the sex trade, sexually abuse minors, drink to excess and who were the original and still perpetuators of the very negative image Thais (and non-Thais around the world) have of White Westerners in Thailand. I see them nearly everywhere, looking down their noses at a poor people; poor people in a mostly poor country who by virtue of their lack of luck weren't so lucky to hit the birth lottery.

Are you of african persuasion by chance ?

The problem with the area and indeed most of the country are the often fat, past their prime, often rude and arrogant know-it-all, sloppy dressing, previously failed White Westerners who run prostitution houses, traffic drugs into the country, run illegal businesses, spread disease through the sex trade, sexually abuse minors, drink to excess and who were the original and still perpetuators of the very negative image Thais (and non-Thais around the world) have of White Westerners in Thailand. I see them nearly everywhere, looking down their noses at a poor people; poor people in a mostly poor country who by virtue of their lack of luck weren't so lucky to hit the birth lottery.

Only in the sense that Africa is claimed to be the cradle of humanity. Why?

There is a tobacco factory at the end of soi 10 and majority of staff are African(not sure what country) a huge number live/stay in the area.

Also many who look African, are in fact not, but from the Arab states around.

one of the "distribution centers" was, and may still be located on soi 10 as well.

Tobacco factory? are you sure you don't mean the thai tobacco monopoly?

There is a tobacco factory at the end of soi 10 and majority of staff are African(not sure what country) a huge number live/stay in the area.

Also many who look African, are in fact not, but from the Arab states around.

one of the "distribution centers" was, and may still be located on soi 10 as well.

Tobacco factory? are you sure you don't mean the thai tobacco monopoly?

thats the one

I suspect that he is of the sarcastic persuasion, and that would be fine if we were talking about Nigerian students and tourists simply enjoying their time together on Soi Arab and surrounds, but that simply isnt the case. Unlike the majority of the Arab population in that area, these guys and gals clearly enjoy the fact that they can engage in criminal activity right in front of the cops who are supposed to be keeping track of such activities. If they tried the same thing in Oz they would be questioned - other than sporadic reports of a raid here and there on Stickman, I've seen no mention of these people being asked for their passports.