Staff Changes At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration

LeCharivari

It seems to me regardless how well prepared you are, they always find something missing.

This is often true. However on two occasions when I was missing one photocopy (which I had never been asked for previously) the official actually made the copy himself for free using their own copier. Once for a residence certificate and once for the retirement extension. I suppose they took pity on me as everything else they wanted was nicely copied onto just one sheet of paper (front and back, and that threw them for a while!).

I do always bring all the original documents they could possibly ask for to avoid having to return home.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I am doing a report soon and if it turns out the policy has changed since my last report, I will change my opinion. ....

So the last time you did your 90 day report was nearly three months ago? ... and based on that those of us who did ours within the last couple of weeks and were told we needed a photocopy of the visa page, and have posted that information here, are "incorrect"?

Things change; what was needed three months ago may not be the same as what's needed now, and that may not be the same as what's needed tomorrow or next week. Maybe the photocopier's brother/husband/whatever in Immigration is short this week and your 5 baht per copy will help pay the housekeeping.

Keep it simple - get a photocopy just in case.

Give the guy a break. I reported last Friday and didn't need the visa photocopy. Is this a new requirement which started this week?

No, it was a requirement the week before! As I said, things change so why not keep it simple and take a copy anyway?

.... I am doing a report soon and if it turns out the policy has changed since my last report, I will change my opinion. ....

So the last time you did your 90 day report was nearly three months ago? ... and based on that those of us who did ours within the last couple of weeks and were told we needed a photocopy of the visa page, and have posted that information here, are "incorrect"?

Things change; what was needed three months ago may not be the same as what's needed now, and that may not be the same as what's needed tomorrow or next week. Maybe the photocopier's brother/husband/whatever in Immigration is short this week and your 5 baht per copy will help pay the housekeeping.

Keep it simple - get a photocopy just in case.

Give the guy a break. I reported last Friday and didn't need the visa photocopy. Is this a new requirement which started this week?

No, it was a requirement the week before! As I said, things change so why not keep it simple and take a copy anyway?

No, it was not. I reported for two on February 22 and did not supply a photocopy of the visas and they were not requested.

Anyway, popping out and paying 10 baht for 2 copies would not have been a concern and I wouldn't have made a post about it.

I will try to remember to report my experience next week when I report and DO NOT supply a copy of my visa, obtained YEARS ago. I am confident I will not be needing to show a copy of my VISA, but if they ask for it, I will be happy to admit I was wrong. Cheers.

I will try to remember to report my experience next week when I report and DO NOT supply a copy of my visa, obtained YEARS ago. I am confident I will not be needing to show a copy of my VISA, but if they ask for it, I will be happy to admit I was wrong. Cheers.

So what am I to make of this? I can't say I'm wrong because I already reported last Friday without a copy of the visa. This is a fact. I followed the list you posted earlier on this thread.

The reporting officer made a mistake?

I would hazzard a guess and say that the people who suggest it is required handed it in and it was accepted anyway. This does happen.

So what am I to make of this? I can't say I'm wrong because I already reported last Friday without a copy of the visa. This is a fact. I followed the list you posted earlier on this thread.

I would hazzard a guess and say that the people who suggest it is required handed it in and it was accepted anyway. This does happen.

I agree. Just because they accept a paper doesn't mean it is a required paper.

I agree. Just because they accept a paper doesn't mean it is a required paper.

+2. Last time I reported, guy hardly glanced at the docs, just quickly stamped all and that was it. Didn't even see the "proof of address." :) Gotta love this place.

What is the problem with taking a few extra copies? I would rather have a few extra, than a few too few! Sometimes they may ask for one paper, and another time, not ask. My goal is to get out of there as fast as I can, so if I end up taking a few copies back home, then I am still happy. Im quite sure that the papers for the 90 day report are never seen again, once they go into the box, they are never scanned, just go into a storage, for a while, then destroyed. Sometimes they look carefully at what you give, sometimes dont look at all.

Define rule. If you mean in the law, probably not, but you know they ask a lot of things in Pattaya that aren't strictly required by law, so what are you going to do about it? Argue with the nice immigration officer? I'm sure that'll help you get your visa sorted out quickly wink.png

You may well get away with not having it, but I did my 90-days a few days ago, brought in everything - TM form, copies of practically all of my passport (was easy, just printed alread scanned pages at home) and a copy of my last 3BB bill. Handed in the pile to immigration guy and was in and out in 2 minutes flat. Yes they didn't look at the papers at all. It's just easier to have everything they could possibly ask for ready.

Define rule. If you mean in the law, probably not, but you know they ask a lot of things in Pattaya that aren't strictly required by law, so what are you going to do about it? Argue with the nice immigration officer? I'm sure that'll help you get your visa sorted out quickly wink.png

People are taking that poorly designed sign posted at immigration as the current rules, the current enforcement. I think the sign does not actually mean what people understandably think it means.

The sign says:

VISA

In my opinion, the enforcement rule that is actually true is:

Passport page showing

latest Immigration Permission to Stay Stamp

No, it was not. I reported for two on February 22 and did not supply a photocopy of the visas and they were not requested.

Anyway, popping out and paying 10 baht for 2 copies would not have been a concern and I wouldn't have made a post about it.

Please have the manners not to call me a liar based on what happened to you.

As I have already posted, I WAS asked specifically for a copy of my original visa (Non-Immigrant 'O') last week (3 days before you), not at the information desk where the paperwork was checked initially but at the reporting/issue desk; I did not have one and was told one was required, so I had photocopies made outside. As you rightly say, not a concern but the question of what was required was asked so I responded.

In case there is still any doubt and you want to "hazzard a guess" (sic) as to what happened or argue that "it is NOT a rule" let me be perfectly clear: LAST WEEK I DID NOT HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL NON-IMMIGRANT 'O' VISA WITH ME WHEN I WENT TO MAKE MY 90 DAY REPORT AND TO EXTEND MY RETIREMENT VISA; I WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED A COPY SO MADE THEM.

That may not have happened to you three days later - apparently it didn't and I have no reason not to believe you, but that is what happened to me. If you enjoy wasting your time and other people's at Immigration, fine, take the minimum and see how much you can get away with on the day; if not, be forewarned that it MAY be required and take a copy in case.

Here's a solution to this minor controversy.

Lots of people, bring along a copy of your ORIGINAL visa to your 90 day reports but hold it back. Do offer the list from the link I provided including a copy of the stamp showing your current permission to stay.

Then report back. Did they demand the original visa copy or not?

Lots of reports, then we have the answer.

• Like 1

People are taking that poorly designed sign posted at immigration as the current rules, the current enforcement. I think the sign does not actually mean what people understandably think it means.

The sign says:

VISA

Passport page showing

TM6?

The sign says:

VISA

Passport page showing

TM6?
No. That is ALSO required.

Please have the manners not to call me a liar based on what happened to you.

As I have already posted, I WAS asked specifically for a copy of my original visa (Non-Immigrant 'O') last week (3 days before you), not at the information desk where the paperwork was checked initially but at the reporting/issue desk; I did not have one and was told one was required, so I had photocopies made outside. As you rightly say, not a concern but the question of what was required was asked so I responded.

In case there is still any doubt and you want to "hazzard a guess" (sic) as to what happened or argue that "it is NOT a rule" let me be perfectly clear: LAST WEEK I DID NOT HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL NON-IMMIGRANT 'O' VISA WITH ME WHEN I WENT TO MAKE MY 90 DAY REPORT AND TO EXTEND MY RETIREMENT VISA; I WAS TOLD THAT I NEEDED A COPY SO MADE THEM.

That may not have happened to you three days later - apparently it didn't and I have no reason not to believe you, but that is what happened to me. If you enjoy wasting your time and other people's at Immigration, fine, take the minimum and see how much you can get away with on the day; if not, be forewarned that it MAY be required and take a copy in case.

There you go. You could have saved all the shouting and pontificating. You did an extension, I did not. I know that is required for the extension.

Using words like "apparently" indicates you may not believe me either, so just relax and don't get stressed out about it. I will not bring my visa photocopy along for my next reporting. If they want it, I'll shoot out and photocopy it - 10 baht and 2 minutes.

Edited by tropo

He seems to be saying that the original visa copy was specifically demanded at the 90 day reporting address. However, the way he wrote it was vague in the sentence where an extension was mentioned. I would like a clarification about that.

Edited by Jingthing

I went to the Jomtien office this week for a extension of stay for a retirement visa and multiple re-entry permit. Last year, I went at 7:45am and had both before 12 noon same day. This year I arrived at 7:40 am and I could only get the passport back at 3pm. At 8 am. the end of the line-up to enter the office was at the gate! Standing room only inside, at 8:20am, no seats available.

After getting the queue number, the first desk person checking, wanted a photo copy of all Thai visas, including a triple entry tourist visa, which was a first. Also she noted that I was only eligible to the get the extension 30 days, or less, prior to expiry of the current extension. The last guy checking, wanted a photo copy of every "extension", not just the current extension, since the visa was issued.

Next day I went for the multiple entry permit. I arrived at 7:30am, and left with my passport and permit by 9am.

For the extension, I got the queue number from the male Thai immigration officer, and the multiple re-entry permit queue number was received from the lady. I avoided Jobsworth based on the comments in this thread.

Here's a solution to this minor controversy.

Lots of people, bring along a copy of your ORIGINAL visa to your 90 day reports but hold it back. Do offer the list from the link I provided including a copy of the stamp showing your current permission to stay.

Then report back. Did they demand the original visa copy or not?

Lots of reports, then we have the answer.

No, you have the answer to what was required THEN, which could change at any time (and obviously does on an almost daily basis).

Here's a solution which may suit you: turn up with no photocopies at all, waste everyone's time, and don't bother asking for any information here if you are so sure you already know the answer.

There you go. You could have saved all the shouting and pontificating. You did an extension, I did not....

No, I did an extension AND a 90 day report. Photocopies were required for BOTH.

He seems to be saying that the original visa copy was specifically demanded at the 90 day reporting address. However, the way he wrote it was vague in the sentence where an extension was mentioned. I would like a clarification about that.

See above. What part of "90 day report", "photocopies" and "THEM" don't you understand?

Is paying 2 baht to have an extra page photocopied so that you don't risk wasting everyone's time by adding a couple of minutes for everyone else behind you who has to wait while you "shoot out and photocopy it" really such an imposition?

See above. What part of "90 day report", "photocopies" and "THEM" don't you understand?

Is paying 2 baht to have an extra page photocopied so that you don't risk wasting everyone's time by adding a couple of minutes for everyone else behind you who has to wait while you "shoot out and photocopy it" really such an imposition?

Jingthing and I have been posting on this forum for many years and we don't post here to mislead people or waste anyone's time. I'll wait to see what heppens when he reports next week. If both of us didn't require the visa copies, I'll be going with that as the current rule and assume there was a misunderstanding in your case. Your shouting and protesting here has made it more of interest than it should have been.

• Like 1

Jingthing and I have been posting on this forum for many years and we don't post here to mislead people or waste anyone's time. I'll wait to see what heppens when he reports next week. If both of us didn't require the visa copies, I'll be going with that as the current rule and assume there was a misunderstanding in your case. Your shouting and protesting here has made it more of interest than it should have been.

I also have to do a year extention and a 90 day report next week and will report my experience as well.

Probably I will see Jingthing in there as he will be the one chatting up the Thai guy at the service desk. biggrin.png

• Like 1

It seems odd that they would want a copy of the visa, anyway. Why would my original visa from 2006 be of interest? I could see maybe a copy of the current extension, but the original visa???

I don't see where logic gets into the equation. If it was logic you would only have to make the address declaration once until you change address. Think about it, what purpose does the 90 days address confirmation actually serve?

- if you are still at the same address it serves no purpose

- if you changed address you should declare the address change anyway

- if you didn't declare it it would put you in the same situation as if you didn't declare it now

Speaking of copies & what happens to them....I went in for my 90 day report & picked up some blank 90 day report forms...At home I looked at them & on the backsides of each were copies of some guys visa stamp & the front page of his Indian passport.

Speaking of copies & what happens to them....I went in for my 90 day report & picked up some blank 90 day report forms...At home I looked at them & on the backsides of each were copies of some guys visa stamp & the front page of his Indian passport.

oopps thats not very good....no data protection at all

OK, as promised, here is my report about 90 day address reporting:

The poorly designed sign at the desk says these are needed:

1. Copy passport

2. Copy visa

3. Copy document for address

A young Thai woman gave me a queue ticket. She asked me if I had a copy of my passport i.d. page, I said yes, she didn't look.

At the reporting desk, I presented exactly what the Pattaya City Expats Club says to present as I linked to before:

1. Copy passport I.D. page.

2. Copy T.M. 6 (white card)

3. Copy showing last permission to stay date (in my case a retirement extension)

4. Copy proof of address

I did not, repeat did NOT, present a copy of my original VISA.

At the reporting desk a lady officer looked at all my documents and accepted them. She, did NOT demand a copy of my original VISA. This was exactly as I had expected and exactly as you should expect.

I feel my previous opinion that a copy of the ORIGINAL visa is not needed was well confirmed.

I think some people confuse what a visa is. Including that very poorly designed SIGN.

A question I have now is whether the TM 6 card copy is actually still needed. I think it is, but only by having people not offer it (when documents examined) could we know for sure.

There is no doubt that you DO need some proof of your address.

Cheers, and happy reporting. You don't need a copy of your ORIGINAL visa. Is that clear enough?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2