Renewal Of Uk Passport In Thailand

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not send copies of my visa stamps, only the photo page, but did make a note on the application form that I was in Thailand and therefore would not send the old passport. I had no issues getting my new passport back within 10 days.

I did not send copies of my visa stamps, only the photo page, but did make a note on the application form that I was in Thailand and therefore would not send the old passport. I had no issues getting my new passport back within 10 days.

Lucky you, still waiting for mine after over 3 weeks (24 days).

My credit card was charged on Feb 22nd, so I supposed everything is in order.

Lucky you, still waiting for mine after over 3 weeks (24 days).

My credit card was charged on Feb 22nd, so I supposed everything is in order.

I sent my application on 7th January and received the new passport back exactly 4 weeks later on 4th February. I'd give it another week before starting to worry.

10 days was quoted by seavisionsburma in another thread which is a quick turnaround especially as i have been waiting over 4 weeks now.blink.png

What to do sick.gif

Edited by MrRed

• 4 months later...

A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email).

Did you need the letter from the employer for the renewal of both passports or just the second passport?

A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email).

Did you need the letter from the employer for the renewal of both passports or just the second passport?

It was only requested for my most recent renewal which was for my 'primary' (for want of a better word) passport. It was however the first time I'd applied direct to HK, last time was through the embassy (no letter that time).

I would suggest they want it for both, neither passport has any identification that it is a 'second' passport (TBH, I no longer really know which is which).

It can't hurt to obtain and send the letter with your application, I used exactly the same letter as when I initially applied for the second PP, date changed of course, signed by the same HR chap.

• 1 month later...

I recently renewed my passport using a bankers draft with no issues at all. Turn around was 10 days from start to finish using DHL. The passport was returned from London with DHL.

No requirement to own a CC, the draft option should work if you can get one meeting the requirements. Here https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

What the passport renewal site does say is that debit cards may not work although most marked as Visa or Mastercard should be fine. EDIT I can't find the note regarding debit cards now, typically the site has changed.

To Johnpc. I applied using EMS to HK, passport was returned by DHL.

No requirement to own a CC, the draft option should work if you can get one meeting the requirements. Here https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

What the passport renewal site does say is that debit cards may not work although most marked as Visa or Mastercard should be fine. EDIT I can't find the note regarding debit cards now, typically the site has changed.

To Johnpc. I applied using EMS to HK, passport was returned by DHL.

Yes understood but the bankers draft has to be in Hong Kong dollars probably that okay in Bangkok but for those living in Naken Nowhere its impossible. Went to several banks yesterday "no have" was the response. My own gut feelings is that they have deliberately made it has difficult has possible using the draft payment method. They can then charge your credit card with the current exchange rate on the day paid.

I also live in Nakhon Nowhere and I use Kasikorn Bank. I have spoken to them a couple of time on their Internet chatline and also their hotline and it seems that I can get a bank draft from my local branch.

I explained that nobody there speaks good enough English and they suggested that I go to the branch and when I am served to call their hotline and the staff there will explain what to do to the staff in Thai and also to me in English. I WILL take my wife also to do some translation locally.

While I was in BKK last month I went to the KBank International branch on Sukhumvit and asked the same questions and got similar answers but they gave me some forms for a Global Outward Application which I don't think is the correct form and also a photocopy of a bill of exchange which may be the correct thing.

I don't need to apply until the end of November 2013 as my passport is valid until May 2014 however I am trying to do some forward planning to make life easier later on. I will probably apply in January after the Xmas and New Year holidays in the UK.

A question for Pauln.

You got a bankers draft and had no problems. Which Bank did you use and was it a small or large branch.

What form did they use and how long did it take from asking for the draft and actually receiving it?

It now depends upon your status with immigration.

If on extensions of stay you need to do it before you apply for your extension.

Otherwise it is up to you but best to get it early as far as Thailand goes unless you need to apply for visas. Many other countries require 6 months to enter.

You will get up to 9 months added to your new UK passport if you get it early.

My passport expires 14 May 2014. I'm guessing I must apply this September to allow for the six months validity? Or does that only apply to new passports?

The UK will not allow you to apply until 6 months before your passport expires.

That means November at the earliest. Mine expires on 21st May 2014 and I figure that January would be a good time.

The Xmas and New Year Holidays will be over, there will still be 4 months left and the turn around time is between 3 to 4 weeks.

As I don't have a credit card I will have to get an International Bakers Draft which may cause me some problems so I am planning early.

See my post above about living in Nakhon Nowhere.

The UK Embassy Thailand website has a lot of useful information on passport renewal

My passport expires 14 May 2014. I'm guessing I must apply this September to allow for the six months validity? Or does that only apply to new passports?

Wrong!

There is no limitation on how early you can renew your passport.

Where did you get 6 months from?

• Like 1

I will probably apply in January after the Xmas and New Year holidays in the UK.

In that case I suggest that you submit your application in the first full working week of January 2014 since the HK Consulate will probably be closed for a whole week around the Chinese New Year (31 January 2014). At least they were over the last Chinese New Year (10 February 2013) as I only discovered after I had submitted my passport renewal application last January!

Edited by OJAS

That means November at the earliest. Mine expires on 21st May 2014 and I figure that January would be a good time.

The Xmas and New Year Holidays will be over, there will still be 4 months left and the turn around time is between 3 to 4 weeks.

As I don't have a credit card I will have to get an International Bakers Draft which may cause me some problems so I am planning early.

See my post above about living in Nakhon Nowhere.

The UK Embassy Thailand website has a lot of useful information on passport renewal

Rubbish !

One can apply up to 9 months in advance of a UK passport expiring. Any "unused" time will be added to the new passport.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Thanks all smile.png My Retirement Visa expires on 4th April 2014, around a month before my passport expires, so guessing I can put off renewing passport until say, beginning of March next year if necessary?

recently got my new passport with no problems. the hong kong end veray efficient .... I recorded card number incorrectly and they emailed for clarification and I replied and it was sorted immediately.They retained my emergency travel document which contained my visa extension but sent it on by Dhl when I pointed this out to them by email.

My concern is Dhl and I see others in this thread have experienced the same thing. DHL sends the envelope/passport out by EMS once it has been delivered to them in Bangkok. Probably because we live out of BKK or main service areas. This does not appear to be official subcontracting. always loks as if someone from DHL has taken it to the post office for resending. Anyway it doesn't get delivered by DHL but by the post ofice. But seems as if DHL let the passport out of their "custody" and presumably the reason HMG insisists we pay the extra cost is to ensure a chain of custody and minimise losses/thefts. What's going to happen when one of these nice new shiny passports gets lost while it is out for delivery with EMS?

I haven't raised it with HMG because al our recent new passport applications have been received Safely via EMS but I do resent paying for DHL but not actually geting the passage delivered to my house but usually having to go collect it at the post offlice.

Thanks all Posted Image  My Retirement Visa expires on 4th April 2014, around a month before my passport expires, so guessing I can put off renewing passport until say, beginning of March next year if necessary?

Why wait until the last month. You will get up to 9 months on new passport from any remaining validity on old one.

Then make a trip to immigration to have stamps transfered. You could do it with a 90 report trip.

recently got my new passport with no problems. the hong kong end veray efficient .... I recorded card number incorrectly and they emailed for clarification and I replied and it was sorted immediately.They retained my emergency travel document which contained my visa extension but sent it on by Dhl when I pointed this out to them by email.

My concern is Dhl and I see others in this thread have experienced the same thing. DHL sends the envelope/passport out by EMS once it has been delivered to them in Bangkok. Probably because we live out of BKK or main service areas. This does not appear to be official subcontracting. always loks as if someone from DHL has taken it to the post office for resending. Anyway it doesn't get delivered by DHL but by the post ofice. But seems as if DHL let the passport out of their "custody" and presumably the reason HMG insisists we pay the extra cost is to ensure a chain of custody and minimise losses/thefts. What's going to happen when one of these nice new shiny passports gets lost while it is out for delivery with EMS?

I haven't raised it with HMG because al our recent new passport applications have been received Safely via EMS but I do resent paying for DHL but not actually geting the passage delivered to my house but usually having to go collect it at the post offlice.

Whereabouts do you live, Gerry? I myself live well off the DHL beaten track depot-wise in Rayong Province, but they still sort of delivered my new UK passport to me a few months ago.

I say "sort of" because the DHL courier delivering my passport phoned me for directions to our abode out in the sticks, only then to inform me that he spoke virtually no English! However, I did manage to establish that he was in the same town as my wife happened to be at that time. So I got her to call him back and she accepted delivery of my new passport from him on my behalf.

I therefore also have concerns about the DHL delivery service, although maybe for slightly different reasons to yours. My particular concerns are based on my understanding that DHL are supposed to deliver your new passport to you in person, which clearly did not happen in my case.

However, like you, I decided not to take the matter any further because at the end of the day all was well that ended well.

Whereabouts do you live, Gerry? I myself live well off the DHL beaten track depot-wise in Rayong Province, but they still sort of delivered my new UK passport to me a few months ago.

I say "sort of" because the DHL courier delivering my passport phoned me for directions to our abode out in the sticks, only then to inform me that he spoke virtually no English! However, I did manage to establish that he was in the same town as my wife happened to be at that time. So I got her to call him back and she accepted delivery of my new passport from him on my behalf.

I therefore also have concerns about the DHL delivery service, although maybe for slightly different reasons to yours. My particular concerns are based on my understanding that DHL are supposed to deliver your new passport to you in person, which clearly did not happen in my case.

However, like you, I decided not to take the matter any further because at the end of the day all was well that ended well.

I am 100 km west of BKK in Ratchaburi, we have two kids plus me so in last 18 months we have had three passport applications and all delivered by EMS - happry to say all received but all had to be collected from post office.

If you have a Debit Card you can pay for your passport renewal approx cost Baht 6400...just fill in the form send all passport forms plus payment form (fill the amount in sterling send by EMS Thai post... track it and then within 10 days you will receive your new passport via DHL to your address when you will sign for the document envelope.

Then you go to immigration and have your visa stamps transferred into your new passport...at no cost.

I have just done it all this past week.

Thanks all smile.png My Retirement Visa expires on 4th April 2014, around a month before my passport expires, so guessing I can put off renewing passport until say, beginning of March next year if necessary?

Why wait until the last month. You will get up to 9 months on new passport from any remaining validity on old one.

Then make a trip to immigration to have stamps transfered. You could do it with a 90 report trip.

Thanks, I should have stated 'theoretically could apply beginning March'. Bit busy at the moment so can wait until say, December/January yes? What is the 9 month thing? I have waded through the 'guidelines' but bit blurry blink.png

If you have a Debit Card you can pay for your passport renewal approx cost Baht 6400...just fill in the form send all passport forms plus payment form (fill the amount in sterling send by EMS Thai post... track it and then within 10 days you will receive your new passport via DHL to your address when you will sign for the document envelope.

Then you go to immigration and have your visa stamps transferred into your new passport...at no cost.

I have just done it all this past week.

Don't have a UK bank any more so must send in baht via SCB. No bank here, apart from a Foreign Account with the main office of Bangkok Bank appears willing to transfer in other currencies, so hoping that will do?