Help With Strange Vegetable Id?

haybilly

BINGO--WTK strikes, yet again.

Thanks a bunch--that most certainly does fit the bill.

I can now tell my brother, who actually took the photo.

I like WTK's idea of, anytime he finds something queer he has to have a bit!!!

Sorry for that!

I am actually reticent to try too many weird and wonderful things here--once bitten, etc...

Edited by haybilly

Actually, since it's got a seed it's actually a fruit not a veg.

My daughter just told me that.

So vegetables don't have seeds? Everything that flowers makes fruits, containing seeds. Looking forward to feedback from your daughter.

We'll have to wait for my daughter to wake up--but I do know that that was how she was educated at her school to distinguish between a fruit and a vegetable--I think it helps children grasp the basics.-yes, I have planted carrot seeds, but never remember eating them.

LOL. smile.png

Right. Just about all vegetables do produce flowers and then fruit, but for many vegetables you only eat the leaves, stems, roots or flowers themselves. Then it's not fruit. tongue.png This only gets confusing with things that are a fruit botanically but considered a vegetable in cooking, such as tomato, cucumber, chilies/peppers, squash, egg plant and so on.

Otherwise only non-flowering plants could ever be vegetables and there aren't too many of those. Mushrooms and seaweed are about the only edible non-flowering plants I can think of.

(I only know these things because of my daughter too. She's in grade two now.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

WTK.... You must know mushrooms are fungus, not plants...... the confusion (for some) is the different interpretations of culinary terms and botanical terms. To the botanist the fruit carries the seed, so in botanical terms, tomatos, chilis, squash etc. are fruit.

Wtk, depends on what you mean by vegetable, many seaweeds reproduce by sporophytes, they release spores, as do most land based ferns, as some fern shoots are eaten as a vegie, (warabe) ..... that is an example of a non-flowering land vegetable.

• Like 2

Wtk, depends on what you mean by vegetable, many seaweeds reproduce by sporophytes, they release spores, as do most land based ferns, as some fern shoots are eaten as a vegie, (warabe) ..... that is an example of a non-flowering land vegetable.

I have read that fungi are closer to animals than plants. This makes them even more interesting to study.

It's complicated. Seed > Plant> Flower> Fruit containing seeds. Orchids, Beans, Papaya, shrinking violet. All the same process. Other families don't make seeds, as mentioned above, they make spores but don't let's get into that, that's the complicated (and very naughty) bit. Human beings don't have seeds, any questions?

Interesting.. Never seen those before.

You didn't buy some?

For me, as soon as I see something queer somewhere, I get some.

That's funny. I knew a man who was always looking for something queer and he usually found it, or should I say "her".