Taxi To Airport, Cheaper Than 800 Baht?

flip

It's nice that we as farange's are trying to "save" money here, but Thais need to make a survivable living. For my lady to get her taxi license to accommodate people is more expensive to them than you think. Not including the wear and tear on the car plus gas expenses. I don't have exact numbers but the taxi license was several thousand baht and they need a more expensive 1st class insurance around 30,000B and also need to have a bond which is usually. So 800B is not unreasonable. Even if they charge 500-700B per person it still is not unreasonable.

You are also trying to save a few baht at their expense. If doing it off the record so to speak, if they get caught they get fined. And after a few trips, someone at the airport is going to spot them and report them just to protect their own business. It's not worth it to take that chance. It is why we only take friends and people we know because we can say they are friends and there's nothing much that they can do about it. I was going to suggest to her to "help" out because I know she really needs the money right now would help start a business so she can take care of herself and not rely on me. The though of having her ask for 500B a person per trip has crossed my mind.

You also need to consider that traffic situation is only going to get worse due to the construction in several places and accidents always screw it up too, so better plan on leaving two hours before your plane leaves and not insisting on one hour pickups anymore.

With this said maybe one should reconsider their thoughts on the subject.

Personally do I not try to save a few Baht on transportation but I like to get to and from the airport 5-6 times a year in one piece and on time. From there to feel compassion because some people choose to make a Thai day wage in one hour driving me there thats a stretch. Btw, try ask a hardworking Thai if she/he feel compassion for they who work the barswai.gif

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks the cost of going to the airport is expensive should stand at the side of a main

where it is safe for vehicles to stop with a cardboard sign saying they need a lift to the airport

There is a good chance someone will feel sorry for you and give you a free lift if going that way

If not there are plenty of meter taxis returning to the airport for there next job who will happily

take you to the airport at meter rates

Problem solved

While 800 Baht may not be "expensive", it's still a 60% increase from the 500 Baht I paid six months ago...

How does that compare to taxi fares in California

Thailand is not California! And definitely not San Francisco/Monterrey Bay areas! It would be a bit more on target to compare Phuket to Bangkok. In California I get a van service, where I am usually the only passenger that takes me. The trip is 100 Km for $80. Here the trip is 36 Km for $28, so it's about the same!

Edited by Jimi007

Anyone who thinks the cost of going to the airport is expensive should stand at the side of a main

where it is safe for vehicles to stop with a cardboard sign saying they need a lift to the airport

There is a good chance someone will feel sorry for you and give you a free lift if going that way

If not there are plenty of meter taxis returning to the airport for there next job who will happily

Problem solvedvans are cheaper at the airport if you are preo

While 800 Baht may not be "expensive", it's still a 60% increase from the 500 Baht I paid six months ago...

Thailand is not California! And definitely not San Francisco/Monterrey Bay areas! It would be a bit more on target to compare Phuket to Bangkok. In California I get a van service, where I am usually the only passenger that takes me. The trip is 100 Km for $80. Here the trip is 36 Km for $28, so it's about the same!

I thought by your previous posts on this forum you paid 500 baht in a metered taxi which is $17

If you are now paying 800 baht i still think its a reasonable price, vans/mini buses are cheaper at the airport if you are happy to wait while they arrange extra passengers

Edited by petercallen

Here is the latest price list and the illigal taxi scum have been given another month to register and then probably another month as they don't want to upset these ******.

It's crazy you can get a V.I.P bus to Bkk for 1000 and a new service Bkk to Phnom Penh for 750 but it's 1000 from Karon to the airport and as some one already states as much as a Flight to Bkk.

Totally disgustng> I also like the bit at the end.What a joke

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Karon

KARON - PHUKET AIRPORT 1000

KARON - KATA 200

KARON - PATONG 400

KARON - PHUKET TOWN 550

KARON - KAMALA 600

KARON - KOH SI RAE 700

KARON - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 700

KARON - CHALONG BAY 400

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Kamala

KAMALA - PHUKET AIRPORT 700

KAMALA - PATONG 400

KAMALA - KARON 600

KAMALA - KATA 800

KAMALA - PHUKET TOWN 700

KAMALA- NAI HARN BEACH 900

KAMALA- SURIN BEACH 300

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Patong

PATONG - PHUKET AIRPORT 800

PATONG - KAMALA 400

PATONG - SURIN BEACH 500

PATONG - PHUKET TOWN 500

PATONG - PHROMTHEP CAPE 700

PATONG - CHALONG BAY 500

PATONG - CHALONG TEMPLE 500

PATONG - PHUKET ZOO 500

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Town

PHUKET TOWN - PHUKET AIRPORT 550

PHUKET TOWN - MAKHAM BAY 350

PHUKET TOWN - PANWA CAPE 400

PHUKET TOWN - NAI HARN BEACH 500

PHUKET TOWN - PATONG 500

PHUKET TOWN - SURIN BEACH 600

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Airport

PHUKET AIRPORT - KOH SI RAE 800

PHUKET AIRPORT - MAKHAM BAY 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PANWA CAPE 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHALONG BAY 650

PHUKET AIRPORT - RAWAI 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KATA 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KARON 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - PATONG 800

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHERNG TALAY 700

Rates above are maximum fares. They can be negotiated down - but not up. Any passengers having problems should call 1584

• Like 1

Here is the latest price list and the illigal taxi scum have been given another month to register and then probably another month as they don't want to upset these ******.

It's crazy you can get a V.I.P bus to Bkk for 1000 and a new service Bkk to Phnom Penh for 750 but it's 1000 from Karon to the airport and as some one already states as much as a Flight to Bkk.

Totally disgustng> I also like the bit at the end.What a joke

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Karon

KARON - PHUKET AIRPORT 1000

KARON - KATA 200

KARON - PATONG 400

KARON - PHUKET TOWN 550

KARON - KAMALA 600

KARON - KOH SI RAE 700

KARON - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 700

KARON - CHALONG BAY 400

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Kamala

KAMALA - PHUKET AIRPORT 700

KAMALA - PATONG 400

KAMALA - KARON 600

KAMALA - KATA 800

KAMALA - PHUKET TOWN 700

KAMALA- NAI HARN BEACH 900

KAMALA- SURIN BEACH 300

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Patong

PATONG - PHUKET AIRPORT 800

PATONG - KAMALA 400

PATONG - SURIN BEACH 500

PATONG - PHUKET TOWN 500

PATONG - PHROMTHEP CAPE 700

PATONG - CHALONG BAY 500

PATONG - CHALONG TEMPLE 500

PATONG - PHUKET ZOO 500

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Town

PHUKET TOWN - PHUKET AIRPORT 550

PHUKET TOWN - MAKHAM BAY 350

PHUKET TOWN - PANWA CAPE 400

PHUKET TOWN - NAI HARN BEACH 500

PHUKET TOWN - PATONG 500

PHUKET TOWN - SURIN BEACH 600

Maximum Taxi Tuk-Tuk Fares from Phuket Airport

PHUKET AIRPORT - KOH SI RAE 800

PHUKET AIRPORT - MAKHAM BAY 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PHUKET DEEP SEA PORT 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - PANWA CAPE 750

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHALONG BAY 650

PHUKET AIRPORT - RAWAI 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KATA 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - KARON 1000

PHUKET AIRPORT - CHERNG TALAY 700

Rates above are maximum fares. They can be negotiated down - but not up. Any passengers having problems should call 1584

Easy fixed, dont use them is a ripoff controlled by people in power making lots of money

Arrange your own transport its not hard to do

I thought by your previous posts on this forum you paid 500 baht in a metered taxi which is $17

If you are now paying 800 baht i still think its a reasonable price, vans/mini buses are cheaper at the airport if you are happy to wait while they arrange extra passengers

It's not a mini bus service like here. It's a van not a taxi. I have only been picked up or dropped off once with another couple. Last few times I was the only one and they pick up and drop at my house. And again how does San Francisco and Monterrey Bay compare with Thailand? Other than gas, wine, liquor, cars and some food are cheaper there than here! Housing and wages are much higher there!

A little off topic, but I spoke to some friends recently that will be arriving soon. They are staying at a very nice resort, in Kata, or it could be Karon, I forget. Anyway, they told me that the hotel/resort looks after ALL your transport needs, from airport transfers, to drop off and pick up from Bangla Road etc etc - no extra charge. It's included in your room price.

Has anyone else heard of this sort of deal? I thought they were mistaken, but they assure me that's what they are getting.

Not hard to get through a travel agent in Australia,we had the same deal with a African holiday booked through Jetset travel in Perth

Its not included in the room price its a complete travel package

Edited by petercallen

Compared to Perth Western Australia if you take the cost of everything into account

including paid transport, the overall cost of living here in Phuket is much cheaper

Australia's economy did not go into recession, that makes a difference

Edited by petercallen

Let's be very clear - members CANNOT advertise on the open forum.

Stevenl is offering his services. Isn't that advertising to a degree?

No, not really. Somebody asked for something, I can do that for him, but am not running a taxi service nor do I want to run a taxi service.

You ask money, so you run a taxi service

@ petercallen

Another member posted that we should organise our own transport service. I was just boucing idea about it.

Why not have a thread where a member can post he is going to the airport to do a pick up, or drop off, at a certain time and date. If this fits into someone's time frame, they can PM them.

I'm not suggesting anyone act as a taxi, just offer a lift, because they are going to the airport anyway. I don't expect anything for free, so would give a few baht for their trouble.

So they are offering a cheap taxi service

Problem solved

More relevant: how does that compare to taxi fares in Bangkok?

Problem solved

Yes that is what I responded with to the first tripe about California vs Thailand. Selective responses, I suppose...

Edited by Jimi007

Personally do I not try to save a few Baht on transportation but I like to get to and from the airport 5-6 times a year in one piece and on time. From there to feel compassion because some people choose to make a Thai day wage in one hour driving me there thats a stretch. Btw, try ask a hardworking Thai if she/he feel compassion for they who work the bars:wai:

So suddenly Thais can only make the daily wage? And not make a decent living? But it's OK for you to make thousands of dollars and travel the world at will. You clearly spoke volumes about your character. We don't need it Thailand.

To help solve the Taxi issue in Phuket, I suggested to the authorities as long time ago to simply put meters on all the taxis and tuk-tuks. And set the fare price like Bangkok. would stop all the arguments. Of course the Taxi Mafia didn't like that idea.

Problem solved

Probably very similar if they use the meter which they always have with us in the past

Since we have not used a taxi for 14 months things may have changed

We only use a taxi once or twice a year on average and i do not find the fares excessive

Probably very similar if they use the meter which they always have with us in the past

We only use a taxi once or twice a year on average and i do not find the fares excessive

Obviously you are very well off expat who is a mine of useless information.

If you have not used taxi's for so long what do you know about this subject.

Not everyone has the luxury of a car to transport them around.This is not just a place for tourists and expats.

What about your average Thai earning 200-300baht a day? What if they need to get someone to the hospital or any other type of emergency.It would cost 2-3 days wages just to use these greedy scum.

You said there are cheaper alternative's. Can you please let us all know of them please.

"Probably very similar": I've a horrible feeling you may be right. The distance from Don Muang airport to lower Sukhumvit is about 20 km, and used to cost about 300 baht.

The distance from Phuket airport to Rawai is about 40 km...

"Probably very similar": I've a horrible feeling you may be right. The distance from Don Muang airport to lower Sukhumvit is about 20 km, and used to cost about 300 baht.

The distance from Phuket airport to Rawai is about 40 km...

plus tolls its closer to 500 baht. For cheaper alternatives use the baht busses

Don't want to confuse TV by quoting this again, but last week I went from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit, including toll around 300 baht, and that was monday morning around 08.30 hours.

• Like 1

Don't want to confuse TV by quoting this again, but last week I went from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit, including toll around 300 baht, and that was monday morning around 08.30 hours.

I went to Don Muang from just outside sukhumvit soi 11 on thursday, grand total 45 baht toll on the highway plus 190 bahts on the meter for 24 KM. That would work out at about 300 bahts for a 40km trip. Even in a Taxi Meter which is the cheapest option in Phuket its still double the price...Fact!

• Like 1

Ok just so we can dispel a few myths here. There is a 50 baht surcharge from swampy. There are 3 toll fares of around 120 baht. So thats 170 baht before you even get in the taxi. Its at least 2-300 baht on the meter. And unless you are as mean as cat .... you will give the driver a 20-30 baht tip if he helps you with your bags.

I went to Don Muang from just outside sukhumvit soi 11 on thursday, grand total 45 baht toll on the highway plus 190 bahts on the meter for 24 KM. That would work out at about 300 bahts for a 40km trip. Even in a Taxi Meter which is the cheapest option in Phuket its still double the price...Fact!

A Kao Mun Gai is half the price in Bangkok. Rent is 3 times the price. Go and move there and enjoy spending 4 hours a day in traffic. Id prefer a slightly better taxi (unlike the boxes in bkk) and much less of my life spent in traffic. But if your happy in a smokey baht bus to PIA you can really feel the savings

Ok just so we can dispel a few myths here. There is a 50 baht surcharge from swampy. There are 3 toll fares of around 120 baht. So thats 170 baht before you even get in the taxi. Its at least 2-300 baht on the meter. And unless you are as mean as cat .... you will give the driver a 20-30 baht tip if he helps you with your bags.

A Kao Mun Gai is half the price in Bangkok. Rent is 3 times the price. Go and move there and enjoy spending 4 hours a day in traffic. Id prefer a slightly better taxi (unlike the boxes in bkk) and much less of my life spent in traffic. But if your happy in a smokey baht bus to PIA you can really feel the savings

But we were talking about Don Muang not swampy so 1 toll and even thats not relevant coz there are none here so forget about tolls and tips. this is about the fare on the meter compared with here. Bkk Rents not much different than here unless you wanna live in a sweatbox studio or miles away from everything and I don't often eat kao man guy, but back on topic, the op wanted a taxi for less than 800 bahts. Im sure the taxi meter service would be cheaper than that 0816077440.

But we were talking about Don Muang not swampy so 1 toll and even thats not relevant coz there are none here so forget about tolls and tips. this is about the fare on the meter compared with here. Bkk Rents not much different than here unless you wanna live in a sweatbox studio or miles away from everything and I don't often eat kao man guy, but back on topic, the op wanted a taxi for less than 800 bahts. Im sure the taxi meter service would be cheaper than that 0816077440.

So the new tunnel in phuket wont have a toll? Wow you are gullible and naive

I've been in Rawai for the last 3 years, the price when got here was ฿800, and for me it's still ฿800. For the length of the trip it seems very reasonable. £16 would get me a couple of miles in London. Whether it's right or wrong everyone in Phuket knows they're gonna pay a premium price. I heard of people getting done for ฿1,500+ for a airport/rawai run before

• Like 1

So the new tunnel in phuket wont have a toll? Wow you are gullible and naive

What new tunnel?

The one there supposedly gonna build through the hill from kathu to Patong, and yeah Ivan, Im sure there will be a toll if they make it in the FUTURE, I'm also sure the fare will go up again then as well. But like I already said, we're comparing the taxi rates not the extra toll fees that don't even exist. As It stands the only extra to pay here is the airport fee which is also double that of Bangkok. With your logic you may as well pay double your rent now coz its bound to go up in the future lol, you are a true genius.