Who Wai's Who?

sms747

Don't wai anyone, it's not your custom.

PS

I don't kneel in the gutter with my shoes off in front of monks ....... it's not my custom.

Soooooooooooo if you were introduced to a Thai in farangland and YOU offered your hand as a sign of friendship, via our custom, and it was ignored, what would YOUR thoughts be ?

Come on, someone answer my question, honestly. coffee1.gif

Probably the same as their thoughts to my non-waiing,`ignorant bloody foreigners`.

• Like 1

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been here a few years now, I wai the family as they respect me by showing me a wai, also some Thais or family members will me give a good old British hand shake ( usually the men), and a few broken words of English, Hello how are you biggrin.png but i dont go around giving a wai to every Tom Dick and Harry

Be careful of shaking with that Dick, though tongue.png

I live here and do respect their culture and it reflects in their attitude towards me. Some members just don't get it and prefer to stay in their personal little mental ghetto.

There it is.

Truth.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I find this topic amazing, it aint that complicated if you are observent, go to a party or social gathering of your friends, everyone wai at first greeting, sametime, obviously "junior" folk initiate and slightly higher, in these situations, I can't imagine not givin'the wai...... also very spontanious thanks are demonstrated this way, not returned but acknowleged. After a year or so it should be automatic and normal, IF you live here.

• Like 1

if a hand is offered palm upward it's a sign of openess and trust, if the hand is offered palm down then that would be a sign of soperiority.NO'P wrong agian...

It's not worth the effort.

Just remembered

If a Thai girl shakes your hand and taps her finger in the palm of your hand it means bed-time.

That was worth the effort after all.

originated in western countries decades ago, the bar girls must have learned from farangs.

I, and indeed the rest of the clientele particularly enjoyed watching a guy at a gogo bar on Saturday night who came in and then did a circuit of the stage, solemnly giving a bow and a Wai to each girl in turn, all of whom were in various states of undress. Yes you, the overweight fifty something guy with a baseball cap turned back to front and sunglasses on at 1-00 AM in one of the more popular establishments on Walking Street, you know who you are! You made a complete tit of yourself, but brightened up a lot of people's night out, including the dancing girls i may add, many of whom were openly laughing.

• Like 2

PS

I don't kneel in the gutter with my shoes off in front of monks ....... it's not my custom.

Yes, and I don't shake hands with Asians; its not their custom.

Now do you see how silly your post is?

Edited by Kilgore Trout
  • Like 2

PS

Not really, why would I want to shake hads with someone who may have personal hygene issues.

I'm a bit better looking, but the sentiments are spot on.

PS. I did once meet a woman as intelligent as me, we did have sex, but we both agreed sex with someone more stupid was more enjoyable.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I live here and do respect their culture and it reflects in their attitude towards me. Some members just don't get it and prefer to stay in their personal little mental ghetto.

There it is.

Truth.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I find this topic amazing, it aint that complicated if you are observent, go to a party or social gathering of your friends, everyone wai at first greeting, sametime, obviously "junior" folk initiate and slightly higher, in these situations, I can't imagine not givin'the wai...... also very spontanious thanks are demonstrated this way, not returned but acknowleged. After a year or so it should be automatic and normal, IF you live here.

Im not normal.

PS

Not really, why would I want to shake hads with someone who may have personal hygene issues.
So the bar girl that shook your hand and tickled your palm with her finger is yet another figment of your imagination?
  • Like 2

My mother came to Thailand with me a few months ago. On the first day she asked about the wai.

My gf told her that when someone does it to her just do it back or at least nod the head in recognition.

Nope, not good enough for dear old mum. Everytime she was introduced and the person wai'd she would then grab their shoulders and shake them whilst nodding her head like one of those toy dogs in the back of cars.

She's lost quite a bit of her faculties so I didn't bother trying to mend her ways. It was a good laugh anyway and certainly no issue for the Thais subject to her shaking abuse. smile.png

• Like 1

I don't wai much, although I know the rules. If I do wai it is because I want someone to know I am happy to see them, or I am grateful for something they have done.

I don't go in for the who goes first thing, I just go ahead and wai if I feel like it. I will return a wai if given one; to not return a wai seems ignorant to me, unless that person is just providing some service and is required to wai you (like a clerk)

I return kids wais because I feel like it.

so mostly I return wais and don't give many out.

I don't like shaking hands anymore, but I do like to nod my head and I find it serves the purpose for all.

I mostly agree with this but I don't think people that have decided not to wai are ignorant. the ignorant people are the opposite: going around wai'ing everyone, gogo dancers, receptionist, etc.

a properly placed, mutually understood show of respect is a sign of good character regardless of method.

I don't wai much, although I know the rules. If I do wai it is because I want someone to know I am happy to see them, or I am grateful for something they have done.

I don't go in for the who goes first thing, I just go ahead and wai if I feel like it. I will return a wai if given one; to not return a wai seems ignorant to me, unless that person is just providing some service and is required to wai you (like a clerk)

I return kids wais because I feel like it.

so mostly I return wais and don't give many out.

I don't like shaking hands anymore, but I do like to nod my head and I find it serves the purpose for all.

I mostly agree with this but I don't think people that have decided not to wai are ignorant. the ignorant people are the opposite: going around wai'ing everyone, gogo dancers, receptionist, etc.

a properly placed, mutually understood show of respect is a sign of good character regardless of method.

Rubbish. A steep learning curve which takes time to understand. coffee1.gif

if you read my post I said "MY HUSBAND" so NO i dont go too men's toilet, firstly because I am a woman and secondly you can smell them before you can see them,

and Maybe you counting of men in toilets washing and not washing,,,, I think maybe you spend a little to much time in mens toilets???

You husband appears to be counting. sad.png

I'm not the one Quoting numbers,,,, take a look at Tommo,,,

PS

Soooooooooooo if you were introduced to a Thai in farangland and YOU offered your hand as a sign of friendship, via our custom, and it was ignored, what would YOUR thoughts be ?

Come on, someone answer my question, honestly. coffee1.gif

If they were new to my country and didn't know about the custom of hand shaking then they could be forgiven.....BUT if they already knew and didn't give me a hand in return then I would think 'you <deleted>'.