O-A Extension Question

I have used an O-A visa (Multi Entry) for years, usually getting new one when I return to USA in the summer and twice I got back in time to utilize the Re-entry permit to get an additional 11 months.

Last June I decided to extend my visa here and went to Immigration a month before my visa expired in July. After waiting in line forever I was told that I should come back in January 2013 because my last trip resulted in a visa stamp with a 1/24/13 validity date. I am confused; could someone please enlighten me ?

You had a permit to stay date of January 2013 is why they told you come back.

Your visa expiration date does not matter other than you cannot use it to get another one year entry.

If 1/24/2013 is correct you are now on overstay since that date and liable for a fine of 500 baht per day up to a max of 20,000 baht (40 days).

So from July until expiration in January you would have had to use a re-entry permit for any travel but you were allowed to stay in Thailand. Obviously you had last arrived in January 2012 and any entry on a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa gets a new one year stay from day of entry as long as the visa is still valid. You extended for retirement normally in December/January?

No...I got a new visa when in USA this summer but I will be in the same situation this year...traveling outside country in late March and returning to USA in late June for 2 months. In this case is my visa expiration date in July, 2013 or March 2014 ? It seems I would have to buy a re-entry permit to travel in and out of the country between July 2013- March 2014 if I waited till next March to extend the visa.

Your visa will expire in June if you obtained in June 2012 but if you return to Thailand just before it expires you will get a new one year stay from that date and only require a re-entry permit for travel until that one year expiration date. You can then either obtain another O-A visa for almost two years usage or extend your stay in March 2014 at Immigration inside Thaland.

OK, now I think I'm following this after reading several times and the OP has been given correct advise by Lopburi3, as usual. However, I'd like to point out that I don't think the OP understands the meaning of the term "re-entry permit"

With a multi-entry O-A visa, you can exit and return to Thailand as often as you'd like without a re-entry permit, just so you do it before the actual visa expires.

Each time you re-enter, you will be stamped with a 12-month permission to stay that will expire AFTER the visa. If you leave Thailand any time after the expiration of the VISA but before the expiration of the PERMISSION to STAY, you'll need to purchase a re-entry permit at the local Immigration office -- 1000 baht for single re-entry or 3800 baht for multi-re-entry. That re-entry permit will expire when the current permission to stay expires.

If the OP leaves Thailand after the expiration of the visa, but before the expiration of the permission to stay without purchasing a re-entry permit at Immigration, he's giving up the right to return without getting a new visa or coming in visa exempt (30 day permission if arriving by air) -- both the visa and the permission to stay are dead, even though it's before the date of expiration of the permission to stay.

Thanks for responses. I do understand how the Re-Entry permit works as I was told by Lopburi3 about this a few years ago and I used twice already.

One last question. If I get muiltiple re-entry permit before leaving Thailand for 2 months (visa expires in July) can I get my stay extended at Bangkok Immigration next year before the expiration date on the entry stamp ?

You can always extend during the last 30 days of current allowed permitted to stay stamp. Visa can be long expired (most are used on entry). It is your current stay you are extending. So if I understand you right the answer is yes; but I could be reading wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Some questions regarding the O-A visa;

1- Can it be used in support of a Thai WP application? Or are WP's only issued with a Non-O or Non-B visa?

2- If the O-A isn't allowed to support a WP, can the O-A be changed to a Non-O (or Non- B at Immigration inside Thailand or does the applicant need to get a new Non-O or Non-B outside Thailand and return?

Thanks,

NL

Edited by NanLaew

Any info. would be grateful. I am on the end of my O-A visa (Multi Entry) (2nd year) from U.S.A. I am going on a trip to take care of a few things in US in about 2 weeks from now. Can anyone tell me about the re-enter permit? Can I get at airport? of evening? or do I need to return to Immigration for it? single enter is 1000B I heard. thanks for any info....