What Is The Maximum Amount Of Cash That Aeon Atm Allow People To Get From Their Atm Per Time?

PaigeLeo

Until AEON recently started charging 150 baht for withdrawals, we always used them to withdraw cash from our UK credit card. The ATM always gave a message that the maximum withdrawal limit was 20,000 baht. However, our credit card provider gave a 12,000 baht limit on ATM withdrawals.

Now we get cash (as much as we want up to our credit limit) from the cashier at Bangkok Bank.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Until AEON recently started charging 150 baht for withdrawals, we always used them to withdraw cash from our UK credit card. The ATM always gave a message that the maximum withdrawal limit was 20,000 baht. However, our credit card provider gave a 12,000 baht limit on ATM withdrawals.

Now we get cash (as much as we want up to our credit limit) from the cashier at Bangkok Bank.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I went to withdraw cash at the Aeon Branch at Tesco Lotus a couple of weeks ago. When I saw a signs on the outside of the ATM stating that the maximum withdrawal limit was 20,000 baht I went to the Bangkok ATM next door and withdrew the maximum there of 25,000 baht.

All good things come to an end.

Thanks, that all I was trying to pass on to people, so today I went online and did a wire transfer from my bank in SG to bkk bank rather get three x 25k at 600baht of fees, a crappy margin, and 5sgd per transaction. Yuck. Banks....

Again, "This ATM will only dispense a maximum of 20,000baht per transaction" TMB was 30k, bkk 25 k.

Thanks, that all I was trying to pass on to people, so today I went online and did a wire transfer from my bank in SG to bkk bank rather get three x 25k at 600baht of fees, a crappy margin, and 5sgd per transaction. Yuck. Banks....

Again, "This ATM will only dispense a maximum of 20,000baht per transaction" TMB was 30k, bkk 25 k.

Try this at AEON:

With drawl

Amount (40,000)

In other words, try to withdraw an amount other than the preselected amounts listed, i.e., 1,000; 5,000, etc

The following comments apply only to ‘standard’ UK current accounts with a ‘Standard’ debit card. I am NOT talking about UK Credit cards used at ATMs (not normally a good idea unless you have a special card).

Most UK banks have a daily limit of £300 per day or local currency equivalent in cash withdrawals per card (i.e. if joint a/c then you can get 2 x £300) and no transaction number limit. Their ATM’s also have a £300 per transaction limit. Some banks like HSBC have a daily limit of £500 per day/per card/per ATM but due to limitations at other bank’s ATMs £300) you will have to make 2 withdrawals. As a previous poster said the local ATM’s have a mixture of number of notes and or Baht limitation o top of your UK card limitation.

Most UK banks also charge for ATM withdrawals eg 2% (min £1.75 max £5.00) each ATM transaction in addition to the Exchange Rate Adjustment (ERA) typically 2.75% which is also applied. These charges are in addition to the Thai bank fee of 150-180 Baht per transaction.

As I said there are special UK accounts/cards that some or all of the above do not apply to. So please don’t flame me if you have such a card but I am sure UK people here in Thailand would like to hear from those of you who do have such special arrangements.

Try this at AEON:

With drawl

Amount (40,000)

In other words, try to withdraw an amount other than the preselected amounts listed, i.e., 1,000; 5,000, etc

AEON now says clearly 20,000 maximum per with drawl. I don't know about now but I used to get 40,000 with 2 withdrawal's when it was free. Maybe there is no limit on the number of withdrawals you can get. I have not tested it out. I just go inside the bank and get a months supply in one withdrawal with no charge. If a machine would give it to me in one withdrawal for 150 baht I would use it. Save a lot of time in the bank.

Of course in the bank I get 10,000 baht in 1,000 baht notes and 2,000 baht in 20 baht notes. Lately started to get 1,000 baht in 50 baht notes.

As has been said some bank's limit their cash withdrawals. I have one with a $22,500 Canadian limit and they will not give me more that $1,000 a day weather I am at a ATM or in the bank. I have tried to up that limit with no success they just say it is the bank policy. But I have paid over $6,000 on them for a hospital bill.

My nationwide flexplus debit card has NO fees

Example of a foreign cash withdrawal - outside the UK

FlexPlus Debit Card

Cash withdrawal amount

100 €100 @ Visa Exchange Rate £85.98

Visa Exchange Rate on 3 June 2013 was €1=£0.859801. Shown on statement as £1=€1.163060

Non-Sterling Transaction Fee

No fee

Non-Sterling Cash Fee

No fee

Cost to you

£85.98

The bureau / ATM owner may also make a charge. For credit card cash withdrawals, you'll be charged interest at 'cash rates' from the date the transaction is posted to your account.

My nationwide flexplus debit card has NO fees

Example of a foreign cash withdrawal - outside the UK

FlexPlus Debit Card

Cash withdrawal amount

100 €100 @ Visa Exchange Rate £85.98

Visa Exchange Rate on 3 June 2013 was €1=£0.859801. Shown on statement as £1=€1.163060

Non-Sterling Transaction Fee

No fee

Non-Sterling Cash Fee

No fee

Cost to you

£85.98

The bureau / ATM owner may also make a charge. For credit card cash withdrawals, you'll be charged interest at 'cash rates' from the date the transaction is posted to your account.

That's the info we UK expats/visitors need. Is that a 'standard' a/c or are you paying anything for add-ons or fees to the a/c?

Edited by scottishjohn

No you pay 10 pounds a month but you get travel insurance and may benifits

That's what I assumed from the 'Plus' tag.

What we (I mean me) are looking for is standard account(s) with Travel/Atm 'benefits' at no extra cost. Halifax comes to mind. Any other/better (free) UK offers out there?

Edited by scottishjohn

Let's clear the air here, since someone opened up a thread that is over a year old

1. AEON, is not a bank, but is a Japanese Credit card company that operates a network of ATM's throughout Thailand, primarily for their credit card customers but these ATM have become popular with expats because of 2 below

2. Since AEON is not a bank it did not adopt the Thai Bankers Associations "suggested" 150 THB charge for use of a foreign ATM card

3. Once Thai Banks started charging the fee (not all banks started at the same time) AEON became the ATM of choice for those who had a foreign ATM card

4. At one time AEON ATM's allowed 40,000 THB per pull / transaction if the foreign bank issuer allowed that much. But since they were so popular with the expat community they had to lower the amount that they would allow per pull to 20,000 THB because the machines were running out of cash. The amount of pulls a customer could do per day was only restricted by the foreign ATM card issuer's daily limit

5. AEON finally decided that they were not making enough money on the "float" so they instituted the 150 THB per pull just like Thai banks. This was a recent occurance

Since almost everyone has to pay the 150 THB fee (that appears to be rising to 180 THB) except for those who do counter withdrawals inside the bank it is hoped that AEON might return to the 40,000 THB per pull of the past, but so far no sign of this roll back

• 5 years later...

Any new developments in Thailand regarding the cheapest option to withdraw cash?

I wonder if withdrawing money via the counter in the bank does not entail further cost then using the atm? Cash withdrawals at atm I get reimbursed all costs via a german santander Visa card (no added % on exchange and reimbursement of Thai ATM fee 220 Baht)

1plus Visa Card

I will exchange amounts in the 2 Millions Baht range to be transferred from Germany to Thailand either via withdrawals, Transferwise or bank account opening in Thailand via Swift depending on costs. I used Aeon several years ago with 40 or 50K Baht limit.

Thanks in advance

50 minutes ago, stat said:

Any new developments in Thailand regarding the cheapest option to withdraw cash?

I wonder if withdrawing money via the counter in the bank does not entail further cost then using the atm? Cash withdrawals at atm I get reimbursed all costs via a german santander Visa card (no added % on exchange and reimbursement of Thai ATM fee 220 Baht)

1plus Visa Card

I will exchange amounts in the 2 Millions Baht range to be transferred from Germany to Thailand either via withdrawals, Transferwise or bank account opening in Thailand via Swift depending on costs. I used Aeon several years ago with 40 or 50K Baht limit.

Thanks in advance

The vast majority of this thread regarding AEON is far out of date. In the intervening time, AEON began charging an ATM withdrawal fee and substantially lowered the maximum amount their ATMs will allow per withdrawal (apart from whatever the card's daily limit may be) to I believe 20,000 baht (which is substantially less than the 30K baht allowed by Krungsri and TMB for the higher 220b ATM fee.

Their ATMs are no longer a particularly attractive option, unless you're doing a small amount withdrawal and just want to pay a somewhat lower 150b ATM fee than the rest of the Thai banks charge.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

An old thread being bumped.

Good old AEON times are over.

As written above: withdrawal limited to 20k for foreign cards.

150 Baht fee for foreign cards.

AEON is a thing of the past (98k withdrawal without fee was my best, 2013?).

Certain other banks allow 30k with 220 Baht fee.

The difference is marginal.

150/20000 = 0.75%.

220/30000 = 0.73%.

Haven't done ATM withdrawal since years.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Can one use a foreign credit card in a A.T.M. for a cash withdrawal and avoid the B150 fee and thusly avoiding a fee on the other side as well?

The Thai bank ATMs are going to charge their withdrawal fee on pretty much ANY foreign card you try to use, whether debit or credit. So you won't escape their ATM fee by trying a credit card instead.

However, what you'll also get nailed by by using a credit card for an ATM cash advance, in a lot of cases in addition to the Thai ATM fee, are A LOT of fees charged by your credit card -- potentially, a flat cash advance fee charged by your card's bank, a percentage of the withdrawal fee charged by your card's bank, a foreign currency fee charged by your card's bank, and then immediate accrued interest on whatever amount you withdraw, often at higher cash advance rates vs. a regular purchase.

Not every credit card has all of those kinds of cash advance fees, but a lot of cards do. So you have to be very careful about that... But even if your credit card has NO cash advance fees or foreign currency charges, which would be rare, then you're still going to get hit by the Thai bank's ATM withdrawal fee.

If you have a no fee credit card that you can do cash advances on, it would be better to try to find a Thai bank branch that will allow you to do a counter withdrawal cash advance with the card via the bank teller...which normally does not incur any ATM fee... Though some Thai banks have begun charging a fee for counter withdrawal cash advances as well.

5 minutes ago, essox essox said:

does it NOT depend on what your banks daily limit is???

It's two different things operating together:

--the ATMs themselves have a per withdrawal limit, but not a per day limit.

--but most cards have a per day limit.

So the practical result is, you can make as many Thai ATM withdrawals as you want up to the machine's per withdrawal limit -- until you reach the daily withdrawal limit of your card.

Among the highest per withdrawal ATMs in Thailand are the Krungsri and TMB ones that allow 30K baht per pull, which is just under $1,000 U.S.   And most debit cards don't have daily limits any higher than $1000 per day, and a lot have lower daily limits than that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, elektrified said:

200,000 Baht from those extra large sized ATM's at Thai Panich if you have an account there

Interesting, but what do they give on foreign cards (which is the topic here)?

And does everyone know that Thai Panich is known as SCB?

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Interesting, but what do they give on foreign cards (which is the topic here)?

And does everyone know that Thai Panich is known as SCB?

SCB also has a few of those new model fancy ATMs in BKK, including at their branch at Central Chidlom.  I asked the bank staff there some time back if the posted limit would apply to non-SCB cards including foreign cards, or just to SCB cards/account withdrawals... And the entire group of them were clueless on that question.

On 3/10/2013 at 12:34 AM, elektrified said:

tried it at 2 banks and they both declined "mai dai". Ayudhya and SCB.

Krungsri charges 200 baht for cash advances, so you didn't miss out. BBL cash advances are free, for the meantime.