What To Do In A Car Crash?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find it is similar to the Australians and the bike is always correct and were it to go to court you would be wrong. So don't hit motorbikes.

On a personal note I hope you accelerated when you realised what the bugger was doing. No sense many of these drivers and you are actually doing a public service by crashing into them

Motor bikes in OZ are to observe the road rules the same as motor cars in OZ, there are no different rules between the two. In fact the Transport Dept tells you verbally and in writing to be more carefull on motor bikes, but the road rules are the same.

• Like 1

Up to my expiriece: Farangs are always wrong.

Why does people go on spreading those rumors, there are laws in Thailand as anywhere else...

If it's really your experience. something wrong with you.

• Like 1

If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of the law.

>If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of the law.

The only answer to this is, rubbish.

Not really rubbish; it is often said to foreigners by BIB's: "If you not here, no accident happen!"

Up to my expiriece: Farangs are always wrong.

Why does people go on spreading those rumors, there are laws in Thailand as anywhere else...

If it's really your experience. something wrong with you.

It must be some kind of feeling that the foreign "victims" experience on encounters with other users of the same road.

It's a bit of a feeling that all minorities all over the World experience..........."We are always wrong and we can't do anything good!"

On the other hand, it is a feeling fed by many (temporary) inhabitants of this great nation.

When somebody catches you in the ass you are never wrong because people must be responsible of their vehicle.

Another poster who sees Thailand through western-colored spectacles.

I was rear-ended by a motorcycle a few years back. Had to pay all the damages of the person who rear-ended me, and I paid for my own damages. Reason: I was the "richer" driver (an employed farang, vs. a poor university student). I was happy to pay, but forever forewarned that farangs have no rights here.

Dorothy, you are not in Kansas any more. whistling.gif

>If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of th

e law.

Not really rubbish; it is often said to foreigners by BIB's: "If you not here, no accident happen!"

And you're saying that this often happens from own experience? Or something from friends and/or forums?

When somebody catches you in the ass you are never wrong because people must be responsible of their vehicle.

I was rear-ended by a motorcycle a few years back. Had to pay all the damages of the person who rear-ended me, and I paid for my own damages. Reason: I was the "richer" driver (an employed farang, vs. a poor university student). I was happy to pay, but forever forewarned that farangs have no rights here.

Not my experience.

• Like 1

Not my experience.

Enjoy your luck, as temporary as it may be ... rolleyes.gif

This society is not controlled by laws. It is rather controlled by the powerful, wealthy, and the well-connected. I now have a name card in my wallet of a policeman-friend who's worked his way up over the years to a reasonably powerful position. As a result, I expect no more similar problems in the future. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Not my experience.

Naw, don't think so, I think it is the general rule here.

Not my experience.
Naw, don't think so, I think it is the general rule here.
Hope springs eternal. Or, those rose-colored spectacles are very, very dark. smile.png

I was rear-ended by a motorcycle a few years back. Had to pay all the damages of the person who rear-ended me, and I paid for my own damages. Reason: I was the "richer" driver (an employed farang, vs. a poor university student).

I believe you misjudged the reason, there can occour situations where the one rear-ended is to blame.

As example, you are not allowed to make a sudden stop seemingly without reasons.

And of course, there are bad and misjudging policemen here as anywhere but did you really go to court with this?

I have found that Thais will help you if you are a nice person. Imagine that... Case in point, about 2 year ago I rammed into a lady on her motorbike on Pattaya Klang near Second road. The traffic was backed up and I pulled out on my motorbike to pass all the cars on right side actually crossing over a little in the other lane when the lady came from in front of a van. She wanted to go up towards 3rd road, I admit I was going to fast and plowed into her knocking both us off our bikes. She hurt her ankle and I ended up with scratches on my leg. People quickly help her and I getting us to the side of the road. Both bikes where pretty much ok... She was complaining about her ankle and I just wanted to get going before the police showed up.. I was offering her money and the Thais on the scene who saw the whole thing said it was her fault for pulling out from in front of the big van. They where even telling her so and where telling me to not pay her anything. Me being a nice guy I offered her a 1000 baht but she refused to take it.. I offered again practical putting in her hand and she would not take it.. So I got on my motorbike and went on to my appointment... End of story.

Edited by montereyjp

Hope springs eternal. Or, those rose-colored spectacles are very, very dark. smile.png

A positive outlook on life, if you want to call that rose coloured glasses fine with me, I would call it realistic and say you're wearing black coloured glasses, but I guess we have a different view on that, make for a much nicer life.

Edited by stevenl

I was rear-ended by a motorcycle a few years back. Had to pay all the damages of the person who rear-ended me, and I paid for my own damages. Reason: I was the "richer" driver (an employed farang, vs. a poor university student).

I believe you misjudged the reason, there can occour situations where the one rear-ended is to blame.

As example, you are not allowed to make a sudden stop seemingly without reasons.

I had been stopped for nearly a minute, waiting for busy traffic to pass before turning.

Nobody on here can seem to believe this travesty takes place in Thailand, can they? We have a bunch of apologists without any leg to stand on. Do a search of TV posts on this subject and start counting the instances of misplaced justice found on the highways in this developing country.

This data, alone, will alarm you. It'll make you want to carry that dash-cam and your personal lawyer around with you wherever you go (Yeah, as if that would help. Chuckle.)

Edited by Fookhaht

OK, I'm pulling outta the pissin' contest.

Moht laow.

Out of arguments?

Did you go to court?

Out of patience.

Court? In a country not run by laws? There's those western-colored spectacles again.... So innocent, so naive. Makes ya kinda cute. laugh.png

Ok. I understand your situation, it's a pity that you are spreading false rumors on the net. This is entirely your problem.

And what do you base that accusation upon? Your infallible knowledge of the lives of all the TV posters? We bow to your omniscience. post-4641-1156694083.gif

Uh, I forgot. Where was I? Oh yes, pulling out of the pissin' contest...smile.png

Been in a few minor fender benders here and is always the same...

Call the insurance tell them what happened and they send our one of their agent on a motorcycle

If the other guy has insurance, they do the same

In 2 cases, the other person had insurance, so neither of us did any talking. Both insurance reps took pictures, filled out forms and gave to me to take to the garage for repairs ( free of cost)

In the other 2 cases, the other driver did not have insurance... Once was an old pick up and other time motorcycle

In both cases, insurance sent their rep to the scene

For the old truck, the insurance guy gave the other driver 2 options go to the police station to full out the report or they could pay the insurance guy 2000 thb... They chose to pay insurance guy 2000 thb. Insurance gave us paperwork to get car fixed at the garage ( free of cost)

For the motorcycle, it was pretty much the same ad above, the insurance guy gave the other driver 2 options go to the police station to full out the report or they could pay the insurance guy 1000 thb... They chose to pay insurance guy 1000 thb. Insurance gave us paperwork to get car fixed at the garage ( free of cost)

In each case when calling the insurance company, they advise not to say anything or admit any fault and their rep will come to the scene to sort everything out

So it is really simple... You do not need to say or pay anything...

Just call the insurance company and wait for them to come

If the other person wants to talk, you only have one answer to any question:

"just tell them that your insurance rep is coming and insurance company advised to just wait and say nothing till they arrive and that they can discuss with your insurance company once they arrive"

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Sound advise..

Spot on. Call your insurance company and say nothing at the scene. I'd suggest taking photos of the scene and try not to move the vehicle(s) unless you're causing traffic mayhem. I've had a few knocks and my insurance company has sorted it out every time. This is done either by the two insurance reps (theirs and mine) working it out, or my insurance guy getting money from the other party in the event they don't have insurance (assuming it's their fault). I just make sure my guy ticks the "tuk" (Thai for 'correct/right') box and not the "pit" (Thai for 'wrong') box on the claim form (if indeed I am in the right). Just learning to read these two words can be a big help.

>If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of th

e law.

In all the years i have been in buisness ,as a holidaymaker and as a resident it has never been said to me or any of my friends ,in fact the police have always been curteous and i have only once been asked for a bribe(in bkk) instead of a fine ,even then it was done with a smile .

Court? In a country not run by laws?

If you really do believe this, all further argumentation is futile.

Corruption from the judge to the police insures this worst-case scenario. In just a simple example, step out to the busy street: which rules? laws? PULEEEEZE!

My Thai Chinese son inlaw who is a solicitor told me Farangs aren't always wrong. When the BIB's move in they consider which party is the richest and muscle in on their share of the action. He told me the ONLY thing to do is phone your insurance company and nothing else. Don't even render assistance to a dying person, When the insurance company representitive arrives at the scene the BIB's will make a quick exit knowing there's nothing for them.

Dont render assistance to a dying person? Actually i carry a defibrillator just incase i have to do that. Not a good idea then?

What makes you think that you'll catch many more bumps in the years to come - are you such a bad driver ???

if you drive regularly in Thailand with the same car, you are not going to avoid the bumps and scratches due mainly to the stupidity of Thai drivers and motorcyclists.