Mid Life In Thailand

diddums

This is a serious topic and I am having these feelings to uproot my life and seek something else.

Over the last few months to a year I have had thoughts of different things to do....just recently these feelings have become much more insistent.

I have a few options for consideration and would appreciate thoughts on each.....they are all options that I do have a sincere desire to take on ...

1. Become a Bikie. Buy a Harley, grow a pony tail, get a indian tailor friend on sukhumvit to knock me up a leather vest and chaps. Anyone know any emails for clubs to send an enquiry to re membership ?

2. Become an aerobatic pilot. Any trainers in Thailand ?

3. Become a monk for 12 months.

4. Become a sea captain, buy a boat and sail around the world. Problem here is I am scared of sharks.

Any serious advice appreciated.

Read a lot of good books, learn a foreign language, run a marathon, travel more, (try) and be nicer to people, do some volunteer work.

I've just hit 50 and this is what I'm doing.

Lot cheaper than buying a Porsche or riding a hog.

WHATEVER you decide, don't start wearing a leather waist-coat.

• Like 1

Buy an old aircraft carrier. You can ride the bike all day w/o worry of someone pulling out w/o looking, land and takeoff your plane, and if it begins to sink, can fly to shore, thereby avoiding sharks.

The monk part sounds tricky.

• Like 2

You could always marry a Katoey ... that would be a game changer ... w00t.gif

Miss M was regaling the story of a Swiss Man who just wed his beloved Lady and bought her a Condo in Pattaya, then flew his partner to Switzerland to meet his parents.

I've searched, but can't find the link so I presume that it is only news in Thai script at this stage.

My advice to you for whatever its worth. Dont blind yourself to those 4 options only. I am in your sitiuation all the time and when looking back i never choose what i thought i wanted to do. Many times something better turnd up, and a couple of times i have been not so lucky.

The monk option is something i given some thought too but sadly im not monk material.

Good luck.

Miss M was regaling the story of a Swiss Man who just wed his beloved Lady and bought her a Condo in Pattaya, then flew his partner to Switzerland to meet his parents.

I've searched, but can't find the link so I presume that it is only news in Thai script at this stage.

this is internet for you

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1363334201&grpid=&catid=19&subcatid=1906

and photo 13633342011363334232.jpg

• Like 1

Why on earth are you seeking advice from anonymous strangers on the internet.

You don't need to listen to advice from others.

You need to sit quietly by yourself and decide what you want to do with the remainder of your life.

And then document a strategy for achieving whatever it is you decide upon.

Clarity is what you require.

Why seek to dilute that clarity with piffle from internet?

• Like 1

Bikie: I think Thailand is way to hot for the cool leather clothes: No

Monk: that is too boring after 2 weeks

I would go with the sailing, first of all not many sharks around anymore as the Chinese killed them already and for the rest I recommend to have a lot wiskey on stock (rum will also do) as tranquilizer. A parrot as company is recommended.

I would go with the sailing, first of all not many sharks around anymore as the Chinese killed them already and for the rest I recommend to have a lot wiskey on stock (rum will also do) as tranquilizer. A parrot as company is recommended.

Or you could ride around on a HD, dress as a monk, with a parrot on your shoulder...

What is mid-life?

If your life expectancy is 100 then mid-life is around the 50 year old mark. However, if your life expectancy is only 50 then you've reached middle age at the relatively young age of 25. Health and happiness plays a HUGE part in what determines middle age. I have an elderly friend who is in his mid seventies and yet he is running around like some guy in his thirties. I have to exert myself when hiking with him and he always leads the way.Of course, I'm an old broad of 38 and long past what some think is middle age. When I was 12 anybody in their thirties was an old person.

1. Become a Bikie. Buy a Harley, grow a pony tail, get a indian tailor friend on sukhumvit to knock me up a leather vest and chaps. Anyone know any emails for clubs to send an enquiry to re membership ?

4. Become a sea captain, buy a boat and sail around the world. Problem here is I am scared of sharks.

I've been 3 out of the 4 of those, but they really aren't a life style. They are just PART of the adventure. Too much of anything can become boring. Why not try it all? If you are single then you have no commitments and the world is your oyster. As my elderly friend keeps telling me... you can only sit on one chair at a time.

Edited by rene123

this is internet for you

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1363334201&grpid=&catid=19&subcatid=1906

and photo 13633342011363334232.jpg

Who's that ?

Why on earth are you seeking advice from anonymous strangers on the internet.

You don't need to listen to advice from others.

You need to sit quietly by yourself and decide what you want to do with the remainder of your life.

And then document a strategy for achieving whatever it is you decide upon.

Clarity is what you require.

Why seek to dilute that clarity with piffle from internet?

Sometimes a little outside chatter helps with the clarety.

Not so sure about the no sharks....I have seen a lot in many places...they are still there, dont fool yourself.

I had a parrot...she died on xmas day.

What is mid-life?

If your life expectancy is 100 then mid-life is around the 50 year old mark. However, if your life expectancy is only 50 then you've reached middle age at the relatively young age of 25. Health and happiness plays a HUGE part in what determines middle age. I have an elderly friend who is in his mid seventies and yet he is running around like some guy in his thirties. I have to exert myself when hiking with him and he always leads the way.Of course, I'm an old broad of 38 and long past what some think is middle age. When I was 12 anybody in their thirties was an old person.

I've been 3 out of the 4 of those, but they really aren't a life style. They are just PART of the adventure. Too much of anything can become boring. Why not try it all? If you are single then you have no commitments and the world is your oyster. As my elderly friend keeps telling me... you can only sit on one chair at a time.

You were an aerobatic pilot ?

You'll only get serious advice if you ask a serious question.

Mid life is a serious issue for many and everyone handles it differently.....not everyone sits around their apartment all day or a bar all night....some people actually do do shit.

So...I am serious...deadly......I already am a pilot, so one of the concepts is just an extreme extension of that......I had motorbikes as a young chap, a harley too......the boat thing is new, but I love the sea and adventure...except for sharks.

I must admit...the monk this sounds boring as hell...but might help me contemplate which of the 3 to take on after the monkhood stretch.

Mid life is a serious issue for many and everyone handles it differently.....not everyone sits around their apartment all day or a bar all night....some people actually do do shit.

So...I am serious...deadly......I already am a pilot, so one of the concepts is just an extreme extension of that......I had motorbikes as a young chap, a harley too......the boat thing is new, but I love the sea and adventure...except for sharks.

I must admit...the monk this sounds boring as hell...but might help me contemplate which of the 3 to take on after the monkhood stretch.

Fair enough. Most people I know actually have jobs in mid-life. You obviously don't need one. You'd be on a boat so why worry about sharks? I have a couple of friends with planes in Thailand and they seem to have loads of fun doing this. You don't need to grow your hair to be a biker, or wear silly clothes. More likely to get killed riding a bike than being eaten by sharks.

12 months is a very long time in a temple. Why not try 1 week? I lasted 10 days in a temple with no speaking, getting up at 4am and sleeping on a concrete bed with a carved log as a pillow. I used it more as a detox. I'd like to try it again 15 years on to get more benefit.

Fair enough. Most people I know actually have jobs in mid-life. You obviously don't need one. You'd be on a boat so why worry about sharks? I have a couple of friends with planes in Thailand and they seem to have loads of fun doing this. You don't need to grow your hair to be a biker, or wear silly clothes. More likely to get killed riding a bike than being eaten by sharks.

12 months is a very long time in a temple. Why not try 1 week? I lasted 10 days in a temple with no speaking, getting up at 4am and sleeping on a concrete bed with a carved log as a pillow. I used it more as a detox. I'd like to try it again 15 years on to get more benefit.

Well thing is I like swimming and snorkelling....and on a boat at sea level...obviously...in the tropics it is bloody hot....so lotsa swimming required.