What Do The Russians Think Of The Thais?

submaniac

I know there are a few Russian people on this forum, and I was just curious what Russians thought of Thailand and the Thai people. Like I have known Russians, and they seem cool...and they have Thai girlfriends. But I also hear about how in Russia there are alot of racial tensions between asians and Russians, and alot of attacks on Asians in Russia. I don't know what to think, but I thought that some of our Russian members could shed some light.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous thread.

The Thais think the same about Russians as every other white expat or tourist here in the Kingdom.

They are lumped into the Farang basket along with you, me, and any other anglo person here on a user pay basis.

In fact, that is my biggest gripe about Thailand.

You can be a genius self made millionaire philanthropist, or a Siberian junkie touting photo shoots with stolen monkeys...

You will get exactly the same level of recognition from mainstream Thais...NONE...with the exception of taking your payments

A few Thais are more afraid about Russians as they are Communists..... But it might get slowly common knowledge that something happened over there are that they aren't Commies anymore.

Why do people always try to generalize? HOW many million people are there in Russia? I would imagine there are as many different personalities as there are in any other country.

Now, if you were specific in your question and asked what Thais thought of Vladamir Zokoff buying the girly bar on Soi 208 then maybe you could get a reasonable answer.

• Like 1

To be fair the attacks on Asians in Russia are by modern skin head Nazis.

Have they not yet realised that Nazis slaughtered millions upon millions of there people in Russia and the evil Nazi's looked upon slavic people as sub human and now they worship the very people that hated them.

• Like 2

OP - I'd be interested to know the board name of even *one* Russian on this board. Just one. All this thread will do is generate more stereotypical bullshit 'answers', and to what end ? Your OP doesnt point to anything positive - if anything, its insulting to the very same Russian board members you claim post on AK.

Ridiculous thread.

The Thais think the same about Russians as every other white expat or tourist here in the Kingdom.

They are lumped into the Farang basket along with you, me, and any other anglo person here on a user pay basis.

You can be a genius self made millionaire philanthropist, or a Siberian junkie touting photo shoots with stolen monkeys...

You will get exactly the same level of recognition from mainstream Thais...NONE...with the exception of taking your payments

What are you expecting? A ticker tape parade every time you leave the front door?

Ridiculous thread.

1. Who the hell goes to Thailand looking for 'recognition' other than insecure Farang with the mistaken belief that you can live 'like a king' on thousand bucks a month ?

2. Thai people, in my experience, will judge you by the way you are dressed and the way you carry yourself. If that is too much for you to handle, perhaps you'd be happier in PI ?

If this is really your 'biggest gripe about Thailand', then you have some real issues.

Then again...I live here full time in Phuket alongside the massive influx of Russians and the problems they create.

You don't...

So the why would anyone heed the didacticism in your posts...

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 2

I think they think that Thai people like tem to go around public areas in ill fitting speedos

Did you miss this part of the OP?

" I thought that some of our Russian members could shed some light." If you're a Russian member, disregard this reply. smile.png

Good post, kid. I have thought the same on the one time I visited Pattaya. But, I look at things from a different perspective than men. I DID notice some VERY attractive blonde women as well. Judging from the accents I think they were Russian. I remember as a child hearing how homely the Russian women were, and how they were all like men, but with boobs. That fallacy sure has been debunked when their figure skaters and tennis stars started to appear..

• Like 1

I should have known better than to post...welcome to Thaivisa!

(1) the post was a call for Russians to post their opinions on what they think of Thailand and Thai people---whether they like it, don't like it...whatever...it's an open ended question. I would like to hear from any Russians on this board (because I know they're here cuz members here have posted that they are Russians) on what their thoughts are because you very rarely hear it.

(2) What I get is "as a white guy from a Western European country, I think the Thai people think that the Russians are..." What a white guy thinks that the Thais think of the Russians is not the question. The question is what do the Russians think...See the difference?

Yes, I get it. The Thais treat you like a walking ATM, or dirt beneath their feet. This has been rehashed many many times. However this is not the "bitch about my treatment at the hand of the cruel Thais" thread. Feel free (as most people often do) to create the "bitch about my treatment by the hand of the cruel Thais" thread.

(3) Yes I do know there are Russians on this forum...there have been posts from Russians. For sure there's Rakjungtorlae, who I also know is Russian cuz I hung out with him in BKK (unfortunately he hasn't been posting much lately :( , come back dude I miss you!)

(4) There is nothing anti-Russian in this post. What part of "I have known Russians and they seem cool and they have Thai girlfriends..." is derrogatory?

• Like 1

OP - I'd be interested to know the board name of even *one* Russian on this board. Just one. All this thread will do is generate more stereotypical bullshit 'answers', and to what end ? Your OP doesnt point to anything positive - if anything, its insulting to the very same Russian board members you claim post on AK.

Here's one.

OP is quite weird though, to my understanding at least. What's the face value of an opinion of one Westerner about Thais and their culture compared to the other (maybe a different sort of) Westerner?

Ridiculous thread.

A few Thais are more afraid about Russians as they are Communists..... But it might get slowly common knowledge that something happened over there are that they aren't Commies anymore.

I think you are mistaking the USA with Thailand. The fixation in the past about "The Commies" was in the main an American trait, it didn't really affect other countries to the same degree.

I think you are mistaking the USA with Thailand. The fixation in the past about "The Commies" was in the main an American trait, it didn't really affect other countries to the same degree.

You might want to read up a bit on Thai history. coffee1.gif

The Village Scouts were mustered from 1971 on, to fight the communist insurgency ...

A short time after the establishment of the Village Scouts, over five

million Thais, or 10 percent of the population, had completed the

organization's five-day training course.[4] From 1971 to 1985, more than ten million adult Thais had gone through the initiation rite.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_Scouts

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Ridiculous thread.

err.... the thread asked what the Russkis thought of the Thais . not the other way round .

• Like 2

Only met one Russian, it was at an outside beer bar and during our conversation he claimed that 50 years ago over 50% of American households didn't have electricity. The conversation went downhill from that. He was still brainwashed for the old Soviet Union days.

• Like 2

I dont know about the Thais, but the embattled Cypriots seem concerned that the new 'tax on deposits' could drive Russian investors away from their shores. Note the claim re Russians actually living in Cyprus - not tourists : residents. When a country becomes so heavily dependent on another country for it's financial well-being, is that not a form of colonisation ? Those investors may now be looking for another country to launder, er, invest their money. ;)

Further along the promenade, some bristled at the charge in Europe that Cyprus, flush with Russian cash, was a conduit for money-laundering and that the European decision-makers felt the rich Russian depositors should be made to pay. More than 25% of bank deposits and about one-third of foreign investments in Cyprus come from Russia. So many Russians now live in the port city of Limassol that it has been dubbed "Limassolgrad". "We need foreign investment and it could now shrink," said one student, arguing that most savers in Cyprus were Cypriots.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/17/cyprus-bailout-seize-savings-deposits

Only met one Russian, it was at an outside beer bar and during our conversation he claimed that 50 years ago over 50% of American households didn't have electricity. The conversation went downhill from that. He was still brainwashed for the old Soviet Union days.

in 1972 i met an American, CEO of a huge company, who was surprised that our homes in Germany had indoor plumbing rather than 'outhouses' wink.png

• Like 1

I had Russian students here in Chiang Mai -- a young, married couple with two children. They were here for an extended holiday and wanted to work on their English for a few months. They were very polite, kindhearted and relatively diligent in their studies.

During the time I knew them, they had nothing but positive things to say about Thailand and Thai people. Their children attended the German school in Saraphi, and they were also satisfied with the education they were receiving there. Of course this is all anecdotal, but given the direction the thread has already taken, I figure it can't hurt to have an example showing Russians in a positive light.

• Like 2

We've all been brain washed to some degree. Until you actually travel and spend time in any particular country it is easy to have prior misconceptions about the places you are about to visit. That goes for everywhere. And, it also holds true in the AREAS within the country. There is a huge difference in thinking between Bangkok, Pattaya and somewhere in rural Issan. There is a big difference just between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. And, even within cities alone there are differences.

• Like 1

Ridiculous thread.

err.... the thread asked what the Russkis thought of the Thais . not the other way round .

Yes, the OP (and thread title) was rather clear. But why let the facts get in the way of another confused and inconsequential rant.

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 1