Songkran In Phuket

N47HAN

Well the posts have started in the other forums. So what you all doing for Songkran in Phuket.?

For me , ill be doing the usual trip to BKK to enjoy the festivites. Normally a day around Palam 4 with my Thai friends ( this is a great experience , well for me anyway )

Literally hundreds and yes i do mean hundreds of pick up trucks going down the road bumper to bumper for hours on end full of happy if somewhat over the top locals having a great time. Normally only a handfull of white faces amongst the thousands of Thais makes you a target for just about all of them. But without exception the feeling of being welcome there is great and a distinct gratitude from most of them that the token falang chooses to enjoy the day with them.

The next day , well it would be a crime not to visit Cowboy while in Bkk right ;) . The whole soi turns into a river and runs till around 7 or 8pm . Time to get back to the hotel and change for the night ahead.

Then back down to Phuket to resume "normality"

And yes I understand alot of you guys want to get away from the mayhem and keep away from it all but what about the rest of you that enjoy Songkran ?

This will be my Tenth time as an expat living here and enjoy each one as much as my first ;)

• Like 1

I usually put on my swimming trunks, an old T shirt, and old pair of sun glasses and get on my old Honda Wave and do a loop around Rawai and Nai Harn getting soaked. The ice water and some other idiots that seem to enjoy trying to inflict pain are asses, but most are just out enjoying a good time...

• Like 1

I enjoy Songram tremendiously. I think it is the best big party in the world ! I have never even seen Thais getting upset (only some tourist who is lost at the time) only happy, happy, happy and with so many people doing the water and powder thing I thing it is amazing.

I will be at the Tamarin Rawai fighting it out with the pickups coming by :-) while my TGF hides it out back at home 555.

You can rent a fire truck for the day , inbuilt water cannon and plenty of water on board wink.png

No, tried that, all rented out already.

I usually put on my swimming trunks, an old T shirt, and old pair of sun glasses and get on my old Honda Wave and do a loop around Rawai and Nai Harn getting soaked. The ice water and some other idiots that seem to enjoy trying to inflict pain are asses, but most are just out enjoying a good time...

Yes, I really hate that icewater, but love everything else about songkran. I'll have to wait and see what my son wants to do, last year he was too young, this year I think he may want a ride on the bike.

I went once to Patong for Songkran. Fun for an while, but when the alcohol kicks in, not so fun anymore. Too many people shooting directly to the head etc.

Town have more traditional feeling, but in there it's sometimes too much of an war than just having fun.

Water colors, but still not ice water.

I always remember my first Songkran at Bangkok some 10 years ago. I had to walk with my backpack to the hotel for the last few kilometers as the traffic was fully jammed. Nobody did throw water on me. Some girls stopped me and gently put some water to my face.

After leaving my backpack to the hotel, changed clothes and I got out again.. then it took only few minutes before I was fully wet. Polite water war. :)

Oh...and I should just add that most of the danger comes from drunken farang white trash with high powered water guns...

And the idiots who decide to put lumps of ice in the water and throw bucketloads over drivers. No fun being hit with ice lumps whilst riding a scooter. A time to stay indoors whilst imbeciles and drunks act up.........wouldn't be so bad if Songkran was celebrated as was the tradition, with gentle splashing of a small quantity of water on folks.

• Like 1

ditto, i like everything about it except the ice water, and the talc in the eyes, but that's usually not on purpose.

Edited by stevehaigh

I'll do a few laps of the local streets with a crew in the back of the pickup and some bins full of water. Then head out and stand outside the local store shooting people passing by, listening to strange Thai techno and drinking beer. Get some sleep and then head down to the beach in the evening....will be great day.

To be honest when it's 40 degrees outside is it really that bad having some cold water put on you?

Oh...and I should just add that most of the danger comes from drunken farang white trash with high powered water guns...

And the idiots who decide to put lumps of ice in the water and throw bucketloads over drivers. No fun being hit with ice lumps whilst riding a scooter. A time to stay indoors whilst imbeciles and drunks act up.........wouldn't be so bad if Songkran was celebrated as was the tradition, with gentle splashing of a small quantity of water on folks.

It's all hyped up purely for the tourists, it's good fun for a very short while then it's best to stay out of the way!

I'll do a few laps of the local streets with a crew in the back of the pickup and some bins full of water. Then head out and stand outside the local store shooting people passing by, listening to strange Thai techno and drinking beer. Get some sleep and then head down to the beach in the evening....will be great day.

To be honest when it's 40 degrees outside is it really that bad having some cold water put on you?

Yes, it is, especially when you're driving a motorbike and a full bucket of icecold water is thrown into your face.

• Like 1

Do you throw water into the faces of passing motorcyclists?

No...but anyone who drives a motor bike around on the most dangerous day of the year needs a labotomy

"A total of 253 people were killed and 2,751 others injured in 2,134 road accidents from April 11 to 15 in 2012"

• Like 1

No...but anyone who drives a motor bike around on the most dangerous day of the year needs a labotomy

"A total of 253 people were killed and 2,751 others injured in 2,134 road accidents from April 11 to 15 in 2012"

Ridiculous statement. Many, many people participate in the festivities with a motorbike, driving slowly, shooting their guns. And to throw bucketsful of icecold water in their faces is simply not done.

Really? I do every year, I'm here. But I only go a few KM around town. And I take my dosing, instead of try to avoid it...

Well if that number above was to follow then the days of Songran is safer than an ordinary day in Thailand. The Government recently announced that 26000 people die on Thai roads annually.

Ridiculous statement. Many, many people participate in the festivities with a motorbike, driving slowly, shooting their guns. And to throw bucketsful of icecold water in their faces is simply not done.

Personally I look at the facts and make my choice based on those....I wouldn't drive a motorbike on any day let alone Songkran. lol

"This year the dangerous days have been designated as 11-17 April 2012.What that means is that authorities are expecting road carnage and death as people head off for the Thai new year holidays and then again on their return."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548478-songkran-death-toll-way-over-last-year-as-millions-return-to-bangkok/

http://tpnnnews.edublogs.org/2012/04/08/songkran-festival-2012-thai-new-year-the-most-dangerous-holiday/

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2012/

Personally I look at the facts and make my choice based on those....I wouldn't drive a motorbike on any day let alone Songkran. lol

"This year the dangerous days have been designated as 11-17 April 2012.What that means is that authorities are expecting road carnage and death as people head off for the Thai new year holidays and then again on their return."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548478-songkran-death-toll-way-over-last-year-as-millions-return-to-bangkok/

http://tpnnnews.edublogs.org/2012/04/08/songkran-festival-2012-thai-new-year-the-most-dangerous-holiday/

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2012/04/full-road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-2012/

"What that means is that authorities are expecting road carnage and death as people head off for the Thai new year holidays and then again on their return."

So what does 'people heading off for the holidays and returning' have to do with the actual celebrating (on a motorbike) itself?

As usual people are looking at numbers without grasping the meaning of the numbers.

Always smile at the bib who end up on traffic duty during songkran. I have to assume they pissed the boss off to end up on that duty ;)

Must admit a few times accidently caught them with a little water in the past ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how long the water festivities last in Phuket? Will likely be going next year (2014) and the lady who owns our favourite guesthouse says just a day or 24hrs - have heard it goes for a week or two in some parts (Pattaya etc). A day would be quite fun, but it would get old fast if it went for too long.

Thanks