Motorcycle Track Suits

loserlazer

The aramid fabric on the Komine (or any suit) is there for comfort, stretch, and airflow (of course, it's also cheaper than leather)- it actually has high abrasion resistance, but there's obviously a trade-off.

The suit I just bought has quite a bit of it in non-impact areas like the inside of the arms- I specifically chose it for the materials as I want something I can comfortably wear for a few hours (there were several other suits in its price range that I could have chosen that offered more leather coverage but less airflow)- as far as coming out of a crash (relatively) unscathed, I would expect it to protect me as well as a track-oriented suit that offers much less in terms of comfort- what I would not expect to happen is that it would survive more than one or two crashes- the suits geared more toward the track will likely survive way more low-sides and minor get-offs (which are a fact of life when you're pushing it on the track) and still be usable, where other suits would be more in the 'single use' category- I accept this fact and I'm willing to sacrifice the potential longevity of my suit for comfort (and I don't feel that I'm compromising on safety)..

I don't know much about Komine as a brand so I can't comment on their suits, but if they're anything like RS Taichi (an excellent Japanese brand) I would say they probably make a nice suit.

• Like 2

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

impossible to tell if these are original or copies

You won't have to pay double if you order a suit- you can find most of them with free international shipping on eBay, and Thai customs will hit you up for about 30% of the declared value- i.e. you can get the Motegi suit for $799 shipped, and you'll get hit for another $240 or so, which is about 30K baht (the baht is pretty strong at the moment)- how much is it at Paddock? Of course, that will mean possible size issues, so you will need to be sure of what will fit you if you go that route. The cheapest Laguna Seca Pro I've seen is just under $1000 shipped ($922 + $62 shipping direct from Italy), so it's probably 38K to get it here (and you have the advantage of being able to try one on at the Dainese shop first).

Closer to 40% ...... 30% plus 7% vat and you have to pay tax on the vat.

komine s43 for 22 k.

Released a year after s 42 and it is all leather from 320sp big bike shop.

This shop has 99% copies just ask them.

I am not saying dont buy copies just be aware it is very hard to distinguish. I will post some pics of my Astars copies i bought from big wing.

• Like 1

komine s43 for 22 k.

Released a year after s 42 and it is all leather from 320sp big bike shop.

You know I have bought things from 320sp nice folks.

Also they have many things they cannot advertise because they are not the

legal distributors

So ask if you want to check on other brands too.

As for this brand or others as someone said go try it on.

Fit is very important. Should not be loose or it will twist/move around in a crash & not do its job

because it will not hold the armor where they should be when crashing

Good leathers or mixed suits are not made to be comfy standing or walking.

Sit on a bike once you get them on & see. That is where you check fit.

They are cut to be on a bike in a riding crouch

As to mixed materials many good suits use a stretch panel in non critical areas

for comfort. You will see many with a V panel near the crotch, or certain main joints etc.

You do not need to go too overboard especially if your thinking of occasional track days etc.

Save some $$ for good boots gloves etc. ;)

• Like 1

You guys that are looking should also scan mocyc-dot-com

For sure you need to look in person but,

I can tell immediately if they are copies as the copies I have seen

of various jackets etc were very obvious.

Also surprisingly I have found here in Thailand a merchant has no qualms if you ask

if it is real or copy they will tell you.

You guys that are looking should also scan mocyc-dot-com

For sure you need to look in person but,I can tell immediately if they are copies as the copies I have seenof various jackets etc were very obvious.Also surprisingly I have found here in Thailand a merchant has no qualms if you askif it is real or copy they will tell you.

I agree most will tell you if its a copy.

I will post some pics of my Astars copies i bought from big wing.

I am a little surprised BigWing sells a copy

You know when I bought my TCX boots it said made in Vietnam

inside so I thought sheesh a copy?

As I thought they were all made in Italy

I was a bit pissed as I had asked

if they were authentic & the seller said yes.

So I emailed TCX Italy & asked

They wrote back right away & said please send pics of inside & labels etc

which I did.

Then they wrote back & said yes it is their product & how did I like it.

I wondered because my 1st email basically asked if they made their boots in VN

but she would not answer till I sent pics with the numbers from labels etc.

Was good though that they answered promptly & were very courteous

• Like 1

someone on here also mentioned that the kawasaki shops sell copies too so it doesnt really surprise me although not very good business practice for companies of that size and stature imagine if they found honda in the western world selling copies could completely destroy there image.

someone on here also mentioned that the kawasaki shops sell copies too so it doesnt really surprise me although not very good business practice for companies of that size and stature imagine if they found honda in the western world selling copies could completely destroy there image.

heheh yeah that is probably where I got my thinking & felt surprised a main dealer

would sell copies.

But you know I guess it is just looked on differently here &

like I said they seem to have no qualms about telling you it is cheaper because it is a copy.

• Like 1

guys, great thoughts from all of you, thanks for your cool contribution on this and trying to help this humble wannabe occasional track rider.

Yeah, next will be boots, better gloves and some inner wear. Which is the topic for another thread.

I will check dainese shop, revit two piece in panda rider and that komines in 320 sp and paddock.

But, i do not think so any serous honda or kawa big bike shop can sell fake products. i hope not.

guys, great thoughts from all of you, thanks for your cool contribution on this and trying to help this humble wannabe occasional track rider.

Yeah, next will be boots, better gloves and some inner wear. Which is the topic for another thread.

I will check dainese shop, revit two piece in panda rider and that komines in 320 sp and paddock.

But, i do not think so any serous honda or kawa big bike shop can sell fake products. i hope not.

I need to make a correction. Its kawasaki big bikes in pattaya. They are opposite honda big wing. FYI they are both shops are owned by mityon. They were purchased last week and have good stock. 4500baht

Went for some shops yesterday but could not spend much time as i was busy with a meeting yesterday unfortunately:(

Panda rider do not have any size for two piece revit suits. Maybe come next month they said but yoy know that maybes in thailand.

Dainese does not have good two piece suit for a reasonable price. They only have one two piece suit - dont remember the model- but it does not have the hunch back, it black white which i really dont like and it is 2011 model for 27k - from 38k - after discount. 2012 model laguna seca red was 32k - from 48 k -after discount. Yes, Dainese have 30 percent discount on 2012 models so be fast as most is gone!

27 k two piece suit is fine quality but the jacket is very short for standalone use and reveals the belly so you look like a gay guy:lol: if i cannot use the jacket alone, it is not that reasonable to buy it.

And does hunchback is that important?

Good prices after discount but i felt like these are an overstatement for me, too professional for occasional track use on cbr500r. And not that comfy too as old models got hard after waiting long time.

I went to paddock last to try 12 k komine s41 one piece.

It was the most comfortable i tried yesterday and the most reasonable for hot tropical climates like in thailand as it is 70 percent good quality fabric mesh and 30 percent leather for crucial parts. And design and colour wise it is the most appealing to me too fit with my bike. It has enough protection and hunchback.

Yeah i might sound cheap but i am inclining towards that model as it is ok for a track day on a cbr500 for practice and learning period. Besides, it is very comfy and keeps you cooler than any ans comfort is important for me as well.

Later when i show some more progress and buy an inline four supersport, then i can get a much more better model like two piece dainese laguna seca which they do not have it here.

With proper boots, gloves, protected inner wear, force field - back and front skeleton style - and this and that total bill will be less than 30 k if i go with komine suit and more than 50 k with dainese.

What do you say guys about komine 12k suit?

post-114750-13640973129844_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13640973369582_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13640973491479_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13640973590822_thumb.jpg

Edited by loserlazer

And does hunchback is that important?

Many including myself originally thought it was a safety feature to keep your head from snapping backwards in a crash.

Truth is that it is strictly an aerodynamic feature that makes a better airflow

when in a crouched riding position.

There are some that claim it is a safety hindrance especially to an EMT.

In a crash if your laying on your back the hump will hold your shoulders up allowing your head to

go back further. Not a good thing in a crash where you neck may have been injured

Look at page 4 in this pdf

http://www.motorcycleracedoctor.co.uk/page30/page37/files/INJURY%20article.pdf

• Like 2

There's very little info on the net re: the S41 suit (I looked for a decent review or video but couldn't find anything)- it looks like it will flow a ton of air, but I would imagine that even a minor get-off will leave it unrepairable (especially in Thailand where the correct fabric portions will be tough to source).

It's got a lot of seams, and as it came out in 2008 I would look VERY carefully at the stitching (I mean really go over it) before pulling the trigger as if it's been hanging for a while it might be a bit stressed from its own weight.

• Like 1

Went for some shops yesterday but could not spend much time as i was busy with a meeting yesterday unfortunately:( Panda rider do not have any size for two piece revit suits. Maybe come next month they said but yoy know that maybes in thailand. Dainese does not have good two piece suit for a reasonable price. They only have one two piece suit - dont remember the model- but it does not have the hunch back, it black white which i really dont like and it is 2011 model for 27k - from 38k - after discount. 2012 model laguna seca red was 32k - from 48 k -after discount. Yes, Dainese have 30 percent discount on 2012 models so be fast as most is gone! 27 k two piece suit is fine quality but the jacket is very short for standalone use and reveals the belly so you look like a gay guy:lol: if i cannot use the jacket alone, it is not that reasonable to buy it. And does hunchback is that important? Good prices after discount but i felt like these are an overstatement for me, too professional for occasional track use on cbr500r. And not that comfy too as old models got hard after waiting long time. I went to paddock last to try 12 k komine s41 one piece. It was the most comfortable i tried yesterday and the most reasonable for hot tropical climates like in thailand as it is 70 percent good quality fabric mesh and 30 percent leather for crucial parts. And design and colour wise it is the most appealing to me too fit with my bike. It has enough protection and hunchback. Yeah i might sound cheap but i am inclining towards that model as it is ok for a track day on a cbr500 for practice and learning period. Besides, it is very comfy and keeps you cooler than any ans comfort is important for me as well. Later when i show some more progress and buy an inline four supersport, then i can get a much more better model like two piece dainese laguna seca which they do not have it here. With proper boots, gloves, protected inner wear, force field - back and front skeleton style - and this and that total bill will be less than 30 k if i go with komine suit and more than 50 k with dainese. What do you say guys about komine 12k suit?

I have the Komine JK-021 jacket which is also a mesh/leather combo.

It's great, good airflow and I feel it would hold up well in a crash, but I only use it for normal street riding. Honestly for track days I'd go with the full leathers, no mesh. I think if you buy mesh/leather you'll end up buying full leather later anyway so may as well fork out the cash once and get whatever you want.

• Like 1

And does hunchback is that important?Many including myself originally thought it was a safety feature to keep your head from snapping backwards in a crash.Truth is that it is strictly an aerodynamic feature that makes a better airflowwhen in a crouched riding position.There are some that claim it is a safety hindrance especially to an EMT.In a crash if your laying on your back the hump will hold your shoulders up allowing your head togo back further. Not a good thing in a crash where you neck may have been injuredLook at page 4 in this pdfhttp://www.motorcycleracedoctor.co.uk/page30/page37/files/INJURY article.pdf

Mania, that is a great link. It clearly explains injuries, how to protect ourselves better and what is needed or not in a scientific and experience based point of view. Thanks.

I will go check the two piece dainese suit again today!

Edited by loserlazer

And does hunchback is that important?Many including myself originally thought it was a safety feature to keep your head from snapping backwards in a crash.Truth is that it is strictly an aerodynamic feature that makes a better airflowwhen in a crouched riding position.There are some that claim it is a safety hindrance especially to an EMT.In a crash if your laying on your back the hump will hold your shoulders up allowing your head togo back further. Not a good thing in a crash where you neck may have been injuredLook at page 4 in this pdfhttp://www.motorcycleracedoctor.co.uk/page30/page37/files/INJURY article.pdf

Mania, that is a great link. It clearly explains injuries, how to protect ourselves better and what is needed or not in a scientific and experience based point of view. Thanks.

While you are going round all these shops in bkk you could do me a favour by asking if any of them have the yoshi slip on pipe for the crf250l.......

While you are going round all these shops in bkk you could do me a favour by asking if any of them have the yoshi slip on pipe for the crf250l.......

I can.

Bought the dainese two piece suit 2012 model at the end form official shop dainese shop ram intra.

It is full leather and has a nice fit. But it has very less ventilation and holes.

White ia not may favorite colour but i like black leather and you know yoh cannot get all you want from life especially in thailand.

Overall i am happy not to buy fabric komine and get one of the best brand in this world. I am a happy rider.

Paid 27 k - from 38.800 thai baht with 30 percent discount - will post more photos once i am at home.

Way better then the komine. Good decision for sure. I am going to bira tomorrow and check their schedule.

I think you made a good choice- you can't go wrong with Dainese.

They use 'localized perforation' schemes in a lot of their gear- it doesn't flow as much air as a more dense pattern, but it's more protective as it offers better abrasion resistance.

And, of course, it's much cooler seeing the 'devil' on your chest.;)

I rode with the only jacket back home. Pretty comfy jacket. Supports the posture, makes me really confidence on the bike but it keeps you really hot. I am sure i will be protected from accidents but i might suffer from dehyrdration and heat shock:lol: joking it is not that bad.

It also feels tight especially with inner protection. I know it needs to be tight to be full protective and it will size up, still i need to get used of it a little i guess. Nearly claustrophobic at times but better now:D

Dainese, ojectively speaking has the best quality products on what i have seen on the market here. Very good quality leather, perfect stitching and yeah it has dainese devil:lol:

It is really easy to wear the suit when it is two piece. Very practical and actually can use the jacket standalone but need pull your pant pretty up like a forrester:lol:. It was a bit hard yesterday but after being in it for some time it got softer. They said it will size up a bit and gests more softer. Suit comes with two bottles of cleaner and protecter that can go for a long time.

It does not have the speed hump but i dont think so it works good on speeds i can make with cbr500:D.

I am sad only for the color. But i am sure i can get over it. God bless it is nearly black but if it was the red version - all whites are fluorescent red - i would be a very happy rider.

Taninthai, i only went to dainese shop and they dont sell bike parts.

Yankee, they have discount only for leather suits. There is no discount on new jackets. one leather jacket was perfectly designed and looking wonderful for a steep 33k and there was a perfect one again for 22k but there are no big size of them unfortunately, only small sizes. They say couple of months for the arrival of new stocks.

So chapter one, the suit purchasing adventure is over for me for a while. My recommendations are very simple; pay more but go for quality and in the case of a track suit, that better quality is a line between life and death sometime plus i am sure better suit will give me better confidence on the track so i can push my limits more!

Thanks for all additions on this thread. They helped a lot.

Some photos. No i am not that fat. I tried the suit with back and front protecters and protective inner wear for ass and surrounding bones.

Bought one inner wear for 3500 thb too. Genitals and assbone are important in life:lol:

Next steps are boots, gloves and force field.

And if you find good deals, discounts or new shops for track gear in thailand or want to recommend or say something, just post if here sometime.

post-114750-13641351721961_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13641351850673_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13641352163335_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13641352287204_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13641352418692_thumb.jpg

post-114750-13641352551569_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

LL ill say it again you made the right choice. Buying komine a imho no name company would have been a mistake. Boots here are really not overpriced compared to other gear. I got Astar smx plus at paddock for 9500baht which is close to usa prices. fyi ask for perforated at the same price if that is what you want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My A* Orbiter suit was delivered today- I'm very happy with the fit (6'2" 85kg and i went with a 44/54- it's snug in the shoulders and chest and not nearly as loose in the waist as I expected)- it just needs to loosen up a bit so I can get out of it by myself- the wife had to pull it off me;):

post-176811-0-45792600-1364970472_thumb.

• Like 1

My A* Orbiter suit was delivered today- I'm very happy with the fit (6'2" 85kg and i went with a 44/54- it's snug in the shoulders and chest and not nearly as loose in the waist as I expected)- it just needs to loosen up a bit so I can get out of it by myself- the wife had to pull it off me;):

that is a great suit rubbersidedown.

did you bring it from abroad or is it from Thailand?

and does it have some mesh/ventilation on the chest?