Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

webfact

I seem to recall another story where Thai teens attacked a farang with machetes. When interviewed by the police, they said they were simply out to attack a farang, so apparently in that case the farang was not a fault.

When we mean the same story, than that was a very sad and bad story!

The Falang was a strong bigger guy but helpless against Machetes. He got so bad cuts in his arms, that they first thought of amputating at least one arm.

Some "misunderstanding"? and wrong advice from his health insurer in his home country, was also a reason he died, weakened in a Mini bus to get his Passport to fly back home!

His Thai GF was pregnant at that time with his Baby, was left with it, to take care alone! bah.gif

Yes that is the story, sad on many many levels...

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

"I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason" - well it depends what you mean by 'a reason' doesn't it ? Random aggression, theft, or a score to settle have resulted in Farangs have been beaten, robbed, chased, half-killed, about 20 times to my knowledge in the space of 3 years in the small city in Isaan where i live.Attacks on long-term farangs are way more common than any official figures indicate - i am absolutely sure of that from local, personal knowledge. And yes, sometimes it is virtually 'without a reason'. One small anecdote : i was walking along a riverside promenade with my lady one evening, and a young Thai nearly crashed into us by riding a m'cycle too close at about 30 kph - also narrowly missing all the toddlers, parents and grannies who take the air every evening. I shouted OI ! in my best sarf lonun tone, and the Thai teen screeched to a halt and started posing up with all the signs he wanted a ruck. We carried on walking and he started his bike and joined a small gang of his mates at the middle of the promenade where there are some shops. We tried to ignore him but as we leaned on the railings looking at the river, he kept squaring up to us and doing a strange walking back and forth dance of aggression. I wouldn't have minded a one-on-one given the mood i was in, but of course if we'd made even the slightest move towards him, we'd have had the whole posse to deal with...so we took the more diplomatic option and walked into the shops and out the other side onto a main road. My lady was on edge for an hour afterwards. When i asked her why he reacted so badly to just being yelled at, she of course said : 'Loss of face'. Guess what ? My first thought - he deserves to lose some of it... So i'm afraid you don't know much about living in Thailand if you really believe that Thai teens wouldn't beat foreigners "for no reason" - depending of course on whether you mean a "justified reason", or some 'reason' created in their demented brains.

""Random aggression, theft, or a score to settle have resulted in Farangs have been beaten, robbed, chased, half-killed, about 20 times to my knowledge in the space of 3 years in the small city in Isaan where i live.""

You live in a kind of, -Tombstone Arizona- kind of small city? tongue.png A -Wild West, eh "East"- kind of place it has to be.

Should have a "Wyatt Earp" around! wink.png Where are you staying? Do not have your "experiences" in Isaan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone,_Arizona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyatt_Earp

I don't get it. Thai teenagers are so nice. Why would they do this? Are they sure they are really Thai? Maybe they were Burmese or Cambodians. God knows those people have been evil since the dawn of time. Just watch any Thai historical epic and see for yourself.

Tell that to my gf who was waiting for a bus at mochit station All of a sudden everyone was running away she was a bit late and saw teenagers chasing an other teenager .. he got into a taxi.. the taxi got damaged a gun was fired .. police did not come till much later. All the other teenager had done was going to a different school as them.

I can tell you gf was scared and all of the other bystanders too... everyone left running.. we are talking a group of teens chasing and beating rivals.

-Khun Paen- just, forgot that ,smiley_emoticons_ironie.gif (Careful Irony!) I think. tongue.png

I was driving my bike completely sober to Jomtien on a Major Highway at 9 pm when a heavy downpour started..Could no longer see the road so stopped under a bridge..At least 6 teenagers had also stopped under this bridge when a Thai girl walked over and said this Bridge is for Thai people Only and you need to leave...I saw no reason to leave until the rain let up but then was Threatened I would get the crap beat out of me If I did not go....

Provoked for absolutely No reason so I did the smart thing and pushed my bike in the rain to a small overhang until the major part of the storm had passed but I got out from under what they thought was there Bridge which was only for Thai people..

Surprised, the girl could speak English or you can Thai?

Either way, if the girl forgot to ask me beforehand, if I am capable to talk the language she wanted to talk with me

and would have confronted me straightforward, same you posted, I would have denied to understand

and would have spoken back, in my native language which is a different one.

Most times the people loose than interest having to use immediately brute force or sign language to communicate.

By the way, drive a real Motorbike, at least 400 cc up with an open Exhaust, than start that Motorbike

and not let that group hear their own word in the follow up for minutes, after such words from some Thai girl against you.

As a Motorbike driver myself, since 35 years, I cannot once recall such as an experience, same you provided.

Normally, in such situation, the two wheelers are a band of brothers! wink.png

• Like 1

He might make some goof definitely.

actually Dutch people are most tactkless & out of turn ( worse than Brits ))

Thai guys never attact without reason.

Sadly not true, about 10 years ago at a birthday party in patong 2 people get into a fight about a mutual friend. They were "best friends",

gets stabed over 20 times by the other 1 who was on yaba. Next day the culprit couldn't remember the incident but had to face murder charges.

"best friend" didn't survive.

"gets stabed over 20 times"

I am not surprised! blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

In the absence of any verified facts in respect to the motive, I shall weigh in with my own theory;

The assault was motivated by size envy. Everyone wants to be tall like the Dutch. For those that are short, particularly insecure adolescents, the envy can result in uncontrollable outbursts. These Dutch people can reach for items on the supermarket shelf with no problem, change lightbulbs easily, see above the crowds and can successfully look down girls blouses unnoticed allowing them to view boobies. Adolescent boys are obsessed with boobies. Knowing that some hansum tall Dutchman can get a free peak drives Thai teens batty.

I call this theory, Resentment of The Tall Dutch Syndrome and will submit it to the Journal of Pseudoscience next month.

I believe my theory has more validity than the nonsensical explanations offered thus far.

Damn !!!!! I am two meters tall, so according to your interesting theory, I face future years of being lumped with the Dutch and will be subject to random attacks?????? :-)

The Dutch from that story, was, by the way, "not tall." rolleyes.gif

191188.jpg

Frankly, judging by the way many farang act and behave in Thailand i am amazed these beatings don't happen more often.

Wonder if a group of Thais would try the same crap in Amsterdam or London ?

You mean act superior and look down on the locals, like some foreigners do here? No i do not think so.

• Like 2

Sadly not true, about 10 years ago at a birthday party in patong 2 people get into a fight about a mutual friend. They were "best friends",

gets stabed over 20 times by the other 1 who was on yaba. Next day the culprit couldn't remember the incident but had to face murder charges.

"gets stabed over 20 times"

I am not surprised! :blink:

Yeah, South Central is a dump...

Edited by ayayay

I have lived for six years in Thailand, including 4 years in a seedy part of Bangkok. I have never been in a fight, been threatened or even had a serious confrontation with anyone out here.

I can actually say that I feel much safer walking the streets of Bangkok at 4.00AM than I would feel if I was doing the same thing in my hometown in Belgium.

Only if your home town would be Borgerhout or Anderlecht or something similar ....

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

"I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason" - well it depends what you mean by 'a reason' doesn't it ? Random aggression, theft, or a score to settle have resulted in Farangs have been beaten, robbed, chased, half-killed, about 20 times to my knowledge in the space of 3 years in the small city in Isaan where i live. Attacks on long-term farangs are way more common than any official figures indicate - i am absolutely sure of that from local, personal knowledge. And yes, sometimes it is virtually 'without a reason'. One small anecdote : i was walking along a riverside promenade with my lady one evening, and a young Thai nearly crashed into us by riding a m'cycle too close at about 30 kph - also narrowly missing all the toddlers, parents and grannies who take the air every evening. I shouted OI ! in my best sarf lonun tone, and the Thai teen screeched to a halt and started posing up with all the signs he wanted a ruck. We carried on walking and he started his bike and joined a small gang of his mates at the middle of the promenade where there are some shops. We tried to ignore him but as we leaned on the railings looking at the river, he kept squaring up to us and doing a strange walking back and forth dance of aggression. I wouldn't have minded a one-on-one given the mood i was in, but of course if we'd made even the slightest move towards him, we'd have had the whole posse to deal with...so we took the more diplomatic option and walked into the shops and out the other side onto a main road. My lady was on edge for an hour afterwards. When i asked her why he reacted so badly to just being yelled at, she of course said : 'Loss of face'. Guess what ? My first thought - he deserves to lose some of it... So i'm afraid you don't know much about living in Thailand if you really believe that Thai teens wouldn't beat foreigners "for no reason" - depending of course on whether you mean a "justified reason", or some 'reason' created in their demented brains.

Yes I agree , in almost all cases like this there is a reason. But it could be just one word and a 'Loss of face' , its enough to start a big fight .

Someone compared thai teens with soi dogs, I agree

Wow, some thais are like soi dogs?

More thai people should come to this board and read what some of us think of them, maybe they would stop smiling once they found out, lol.

According to the Daily News article referenced in the Coconutsbangkok story, he was staying at the Manhattan Hotel and had been there for three days. On the evening of the assault he'd been to visit some entertainment venues at the end of Soi Manhattan and he was assaulted on walking back to his hotel by the teens who pulled up on their bikes.

So it looks like the cause of the attack could be something that happened at the entertainment venues he visited.

Trying to pick up on one of their girlfriends?

Yeah, I was thinking something possibly along those lines.

Like in some 'working' girls have Thai boyfriends who every once in a while might get jealous seeing their source of income having fun with a foreigner?

having fun with a foreigner IS their source of income

Did not read all of the replies, thus sorry if anyone already jumped on the same conclusion, but - looking at the guy - I am quite certain that there is more to the story. My version is: That poor victim guy, Dijk, must have in some way offended one of the 6 teenagers some time earlier and that teen just went and collected some friends as reinforcement to get his revenge.

Also possible that Dijk trains in one of those "so hot right now" (Zoolander) Thai boxing gyms and showed one of those six guys what a much heavier and taller Farang guy could do to him, making him "lose face" causing the "necessity for revenge".

Whatever the story is, I am absolute certain that there is more to the story and Dijk has performed his part in it. It takes two to Tango...

• Like 2

Did not read all of the replies, thus sorry if anyone already jumped on the same conclusion, but - looking at the guy - I am quite certain that there is more to the story. My version is: That poor victim guy, Dijk, must have in some way offended one of the 6 teenagers some time earlier and that teen just went and collected some friends as reinforcement to get his revenge.

Also possible that Dijk trains in one of those "so hot right now" (Zoolander) Thai boxing gyms and showed one of those six guys what a much heavier and taller Farang guy could do to him, making him "lose face" causing the "necessity for revenge".

Whatever the story is, I am absolute certain that there is more to the story and Dijk has performed his part in it. It takes two to Tango...

Next time read a few more comments, then you would know he is smaller than the 2 Thai people who he was talking to.

Somehow a few on this thread seem bent on turning this into a Thai people verbal bashing.

Some teens beat up a man, yet somehow the discussion turn to Thai women?

Last warning, stop with such generalised AND off topic remarks. Next one who comes up with such again will get some time off

• Like 1

I was driving my bike completely sober to Jomtien on a Major Highway at 9 pm when a heavy downpour started..Could no longer see the road so stopped under a bridge..At least 6 teenagers had also stopped under this bridge when a Thai girl walked over and said this Bridge is for Thai people Only and you need to leave...I saw no reason to leave until the rain let up but then was Threatened I would get the crap beat out of me If I did not go....

Provoked for absolutely No reason so I did the smart thing and pushed my bike in the rain to a small overhang until the major part of the storm had passed but I got out from under what they thought was there Bridge which was only for Thai people..

No reason to be a shrinking violet... A lot of times making them laugh will get you thru it..

Just ask them if they know who Tiger Woods is? (Woods mother was Thai)

Keep insisting your Tiger Woods. The less you look like Tiger Woods then the funnier it becomes.

There a lot of ways to disarm someone psychologically. The ultimate weapon of martial arts is your brain.

-You give them your best Wai and show of respect

-You could start asking them questions. What is your name? where are you from?

-Ask them if they are okay. Do you require my help?

-Compliment them on their dress or appearance

-Make them laugh

-Fake a seizure

The options are limited only by your creativity and understanding of human nature

It can also be your worst enemy

That would definitely make him a white belt/complete novice!

He looks big for sure but if drunk your at a disadvantage, also many against one.. not good odds. I wonder what the reason is, if he says he did not provoce it and that is true then i really wonder why. Though we have random violence back home in the Netherlands.

As to Jurgen fun to see anti Dutch sentiment havent seen it before a new thing.

On this picture he doen's look that big:

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/191188

I should have known better, the right light and angle can make a guy look big. Anyway might be a random act of violence unfortunately that happens all over the world also back in the Netherland. There were a few recent cases where the guys got caught because of CCTV. Hope they get the guys too.

yes they did in the netherlands , hopefully there is also some cctv footage of this case

Possibly may have, might have. OR Definitely did. Only those present know and right now most are missing.

Frankly I just hope Mr Nikolaas Dijk recovers from his injuries. I find your comment about the Dutch & British to be quite groundless and more to the point quite irrelevant.

The area where the assault apparently took place near the Manhattan Hotel on Thep Kunchon 42, Pathum Thani, is clean and a fairly new area. Internet cafes sometimes attract a certain type of person, but who attacked him is only open to speculation until the police have any luck in an arrest.

groundless and more to the point quite irrelevant.? okey than go and look the statistics in the police reports ; you will see there who are the problem makers in abroad as farangs most.

Somehow a few on this thread seem bent on turning this into a Thai people verbal bashing.

Some teens beat up a man, yet somehow the discussion turn to Thai women?

Last warning, stop with such generalised AND off topic remarks. Next one who comes up with such again will get some time off

I agree.

Pity the Nation is such a bad rag you can't get a straight story from them and people have to resort to making things up instead :)

Tardelli.

You of course have free access to these police reports and are stating this as fact so please give others a link to your inside information.

Please do not confuse the farangs who live here on a permanent basis with

Some who come here on holiday looking for a good time, nothing wrong in that as several towns and cities need and rely on the tourism for work for locals.

Any city anywhere that supplies women, sex and beer will always attract certain types of tourists and a few will be trouble makers after getting a skin full and may well upset the culturally sensitive locals who by the very nature of pandering to farangs should realise that offence on both sides can happen but perhaps would do well to remember the old saying, "he who pays the piper calls the tune" or for some locals, wanting their cake and eating it.

Try reading the papers and watching the news before you refuse to accept that there has to be a reason for an attack, there does not, other than going to the wrong school or being in the way of a VIP ar-ewipe that thinks he can assault 2 women simply because he drives an old Merc and they were an inconvenience to him, who by the way had plenty of room to move to the right and let the minibus pass.

David.

I'm waiting for the usual suspects to say:

'well he looks like a..."

"He must be a..."

"He must have done...."

Etc...

HeavyDrinker here it is !!!!! :-)

HeavyDrinker

I'm waiting for the usual suspects to say:

'well he looks like a..."

"He must be a..."

"He must have done...."

Etc...

It's hard being right all the time...

You are so right

It makes me wonder if most of these posters live in Thailand or have ever visited here.

If any of you do live here and speak thai just listen to what Thai's think about falang.You would be quite surprised at the hatred they have for us.So yes I think it could be a random attack by the usual pack of cowards.

I do not like walking past groups of young Thai's anymore as they are just waiting for you to turn around and look at themand that is enough in their tiny little minds to have a go.Oh and if they do get caught they just play the It was a misunderstanding card

I speak fluent Thai including reading and writing and while I wouldn't say there is a "hatred of falang", well certainly not more than there is a hatred of Indians and other groups, something that I hear about constantly, it would be accurate to say not everyone likes the idea of diversity - or at least, there are Thai people out there who are quick to pick on sloppy looking, particularly older men hanging out with "women that look like bar girls" despite the only "crime" committed here being an old westerner being with a Thai girl of apparently low status. Having said that there is little reason why an average westerner, minding his/her own business in a supermarket, say would be looked upon in a negative way by a random group of people that have never met this person before. But do enlighten me, what are some of the things you've heard being said about "us"?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I walk Auckland NZ streets, as is my right after paying over half-a-century tax here, where I've been abused daily or "knocked about so as to be covered in bruises". I'm told not to walk around so much LOL! So I think the reaction to this incident is out of all proportion in a population of about 67 milln. In my case, it's seldom youngsters but thugs or "sick in the head" malcontents of all ages: but the popln is just 4.4 milln. Guess it's what comes of so many generous taxpayer handouts for people to do nothing so they have to fill in their time somehow.

However, this time back from Bangkok a whole month and only abused twice - amazing; it's the good weather! But there are some very nice kiwis too.

It's heartening to note that some people are rational/decent enough to see an incident in context like poster quoted below and prepared to say so.

"I live in Thailand, speak and understand Thai fluently, interact with a number of Thais on a daily basis..... From office workers, stall owners, big businesses, govt officials, cleaners, guards,

And in my experience no one has shown a dislike let alone expressed hatred for farangs. The most I've heard is some of the women may not be keen to date farangs......for different reasons.

I hear comments about not liking Indians more than anything. Years ago maybe some disrespect to Burmese, but more recently even that seems to have died down. Anyway, that's getting a bit sidetracked.

Point is, stop assuming there is a hate campaign against farang, cos there isn't.

As others have said, a group of teen's. Some of them do stupid, senseless, and cruel things.

I personally know a Thai teen who was attacked by more than 10 other teens, simply cos their shoulder touched (lightly) when their paths crossed. The incident shocked me, and to this day I still struggle to come to terms with it.....as is the case with any violence.

Not saying any of it is right, but I give you the example to clarify that it is not simply about a race/ethnic / nationality divide."

I just saw your post and this is exactly what I pointed out in my last reply. I agree with all your comments and as mentioned, I constantly hear anti-Indian jokes from Thai people, including from many of my own Thai friends (unfortunately, but well, what can I do). Anti-farang per se is rare, unless the "farang" are doing something wrong. BTW most Thai women I have talked to would be willing to date westerners, the only reservations may come from those women worried about the foreigner dragging them overseas, cultural/language issues and things like this. Other than this, most would be willing to try if they found the right guy.

probably the thai teens were curious and try to contact him maybe asked for a cigaret or something like that and mr.arrogant might ignored them

You have already made up your fairytale mind, so there is no sence in discussing the matter with you anymore.

Edited by FritsSikkink

probably the thai teens were curious and try to contact him maybe asked for a cigaret or something like that and mr.arrogant might ignored them

You have already made up your fairytale mind, so there is no sence in discussing the matter with you anymore.

I agree.This theory is extremely far fetched.

I walk Auckland NZ streets, as is my right after paying over half-a-century tax here, where I've been abused daily or "knocked about so as to be covered in bruises". I'm told not to walk around so much LOL! So I think the reaction to this incident is out of all proportion in a population of about 67 milln. In my case, it's seldom youngsters but thugs or "sick in the head" malcontents of all ages: but the popln is just 4.4 milln. Guess it's what comes of so many generous taxpayer handouts for people to do nothing so they have to fill in their time somehow.

However, this time back from Bangkok a whole month and only abused twice - amazing; it's the good weather! But there are some very nice kiwis too.

It's heartening to note that some people are rational/decent enough to see an incident in context like poster quoted below and prepared to say so.

"I live in Thailand, speak and understand Thai fluently, interact with a number of Thais on a daily basis..... From office workers, stall owners, big businesses, govt officials, cleaners, guards,

And in my experience no one has shown a dislike let alone expressed hatred for farangs. The most I've heard is some of the women may not be keen to date farangs......for different reasons.

I hear comments about not liking Indians more than anything. Years ago maybe some disrespect to Burmese, but more recently even that seems to have died down. Anyway, that's getting a bit sidetracked.

Point is, stop assuming there is a hate campaign against farang, cos there isn't.

As others have said, a group of teen's. Some of them do stupid, senseless, and cruel things.

I personally know a Thai teen who was attacked by more than 10 other teens, simply cos their shoulder touched (lightly) when their paths crossed. The incident shocked me, and to this day I still struggle to come to terms with it.....as is the case with any violence.

Not saying any of it is right, but I give you the example to clarify that it is not simply about a race/ethnic / nationality divide."

I just saw your post and this is exactly what I pointed out in my last reply. I agree with all your comments and as mentioned, I constantly hear anti-Indian jokes from Thai people, including from many of my own Thai friends (unfortunately, but well, what can I do). Anti-farang per se is rare, unless the "farang" are doing something wrong. BTW most Thai women I have talked to would be willing to date westerners, the only reservations may come from those women worried about the foreigner dragging them overseas, cultural/language issues and things like this. Other than this, most would be willing to try if they found the right guy.

I like Indians very much and the country is beautiful but I've been on the Airport Link before and the personal hygiene of some of them leaves a lot to be desired.I've had to change carriages to avoid vomiting due to extremely bad body odour from Indians!

Inflammatory racist rant peppered with profanity removed also quoted replies.

For goodness sake guys, when you see a post like that do not reply to it, press the report button and let the mods take care of it.

There are good and bad everywhere you go, being a <deleted> is not a thai tradition, it happens all over the world. I have had a couple of things happen like this before, unfortunately thais do not like losing face even when they are the cause it but saying that there are not that many that seem to take offence usually. We get the same <deleted> in Australia, as they say sh*t happens. As for them abusing ferangs, it is not something I have come across, I find that most think it is great when a ferang actually drinks and talks with them, lets them know that they are just as good as you, you should try it, I find that smiling and laughing with them at my wifes work parties gets a pretty good reaction and even when they call me a ferang I laugh and tell them a bloody aussie ferang. This is their country, we are all guests and even though we may rag them in here occasionally we still need to respect the country we are living in(just not the politicians, police, red shirts etc, etc), my wifes family and friends are brilliant and there is no way I want to leave here and live back in Australia. As my wife keeps telling me I need to adjust to the thai way of thinking, not easy to do(must stop flipping the bird at other drivers) but it would certainly stop me from causing any sh*t to happen, same with everyone, to live here or be accepted here you need to accept thai people for who they are even though you may not agree with it. thumbsup.gif

Edited by seajae

"I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason" - well it depends what you mean by 'a reason' doesn't it ? Random aggression, theft, or a score to settle have resulted in Farangs have been beaten, robbed, chased, half-killed, about 20 times to my knowledge in the space of 3 years in the small city in Isaan where i live. Attacks on long-term farangs are way more common than any official figures indicate - i am absolutely sure of that from local, personal knowledge. And yes, sometimes it is virtually 'without a reason'. One small anecdote : i was walking along a riverside promenade with my lady one evening, and a young Thai nearly crashed into us by riding a m'cycle too close at about 30 kph - also narrowly missing all the toddlers, parents and grannies who take the air every evening. I shouted OI ! in my best sarf lonun tone, and the Thai teen screeched to a halt and started posing up with all the signs he wanted a ruck. We carried on walking and he started his bike and joined a small gang of his mates at the middle of the promenade where there are some shops. We tried to ignore him but as we leaned on the railings looking at the river, he kept squaring up to us and doing a strange walking back and forth dance of aggression. I wouldn't have minded a one-on-one given the mood i was in, but of course if we'd made even the slightest move towards him, we'd have had the whole posse to deal with...so we took the more diplomatic option and walked into the shops and out the other side onto a main road. My lady was on edge for an hour afterwards. When i asked her why he reacted so badly to just being yelled at, she of course said : 'Loss of face'. Guess what ? My first thought - he deserves to lose some of it... So i'm afraid you don't know much about living in Thailand if you really believe that Thai teens wouldn't beat foreigners "for no reason" - depending of course on whether you mean a "justified reason", or some 'reason' created in their demented brains.

So a similar sort of reason for every violent fight, skirmish, battle and war since Yahweh ("He who musters armies") turned the globe into a war-zone.

Some 'reasons' created in their demented brains. Emotional corruption. Self-defeating so cannot be natural or Selfish or sane.