Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

webfact

I think the most unfortunate issue is that the media left too much for speculation as they are incompetent in their own journalistic skills

I bet Coconutsbangkok will be pleased to hear they are now considered the media.

Did this story make any other news source? I somewhat doubt it.

The story just said "No Apparent reason" which seems pretty accurate... They just don't know the reason.

How would any media find out the reason? by calling the police or hospital? Interviewing bystanders?

There was a poster that posted a link to a thai newsource with other pictures of the guy and he was not a muscleman at all not that that is a reason to beat him up like some people seem to think.

Anyway hope they get the guys.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

Wake up!

Some Thai teenagers will get in the right mood to beat up a foreigner.

And do it.

Just for fun.

The anti-farang mood in Thailand is growing.

And guess who is fuelling this mood?

And guess who is fuelling this mood?

You by saying that Thai teenagers beat up foreigners for fun..............(?)

First of all; his name's probably Nicolaas Dijk, rather than the other way 'round.
Secondly, just looking at the physique of this chap; I doubt very much that he was set upon by these teens "for no reason";
this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger.
This is precisely the reason I left The Netherlands when I was 20; too many arrogant Dutchmen there IMHO.
I, for one, would be very interested to hear the story from the kids point of view.

You should look at other pictures he is not big at all.. plus if physicque was a measure of how insulting people were id be really insulting and im not. It was always said that the "friezen" were stuborn and not to bright seems like there might be some truth in that old saying afteral.

Just because someone has a tattoo or some muscles does not make him a fighter. And on the other pictures its clear that he is not muscular at all.

@KaasKop: You and your ilk' were the reason I left NL when I was 20. The rest of your infantile remarks don't even deserve the dignity of a response.

Ah so its not infantile to judge someone on looks only if there is something infantile then that is it. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by its cover. Also if you look at other pics supplied by an other poster the guy is not muscular at all.. not that that is an excuse to beat him up.

There was one person infantile.. that was you.. kinda what goes around comes around.

@KaasKop: 555 - very "mature" response . . . . . .

HWat a load of nonsense is spouted by most members on here -- must be some very bored old farangs - it's like the feeding frenzy of a school of piranha.

Really, what are the facts ? A Dutchman, named Nicolaas Dijk was beaten - that's all ! "six teens" on "motorcycles" - this is according to Dijk or eyewitnesses ? - we don't know ! " intoxicated" -- acording to whom ?

No facts -- only bad reporting and speculation.

He could have been beaten up by a farang or his girlfriend.

Not so sure about a feeding frenzy, so much as it is striking a chord among a lot of people. As I look now there are 425 people reading this thread. Farangs come to Thailand for a lot of different reasons, and being beaten up by a gang of Thai teens is surely not one of them. So stories like this sort of undermine the reason for being here, if attacks like this can occur.

And I certainly concur about the bad reporting, which seems to happen a lot. Poor representation of the facts, and little or no follow up on stories like this one. But is certainly is funny to watch how posters fall on each side....

1. He was a drunk lippy Dutchman who deserved to get the crap kicked out of him. Good thing there were some polite Thai teenagers who were around to perform the lesson.

2. He was walking down the street minding his own business, when he was attacked by mindless teens who were looking for something to do.

Hopefully there will be a follow up story, and we can get a clearer picture of what actually happened. But I will not hold my breath...

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

@Jaapfries Your making a fool out of yourself claiming moral high ground while you seem to think that everyone with tattoes or who works out a bit (not the case but it looked that way at that picture) is deservant of a beating because they are probably the agressor. Some people just like tattoes, other people like to stay in shape.. does not make them prize fighters and trouble makers.

HWat a load of nonsense is spouted by most members on here -- must be some very bored old farangs - it's like the feeding frenzy of a school of piranha.

Really, what are the facts ? A Dutchman, named Nicolaas Dijk was beaten - that's all ! "six teens" on "motorcycles" - this is according to Dijk or eyewitnesses ? - we don't know ! " intoxicated" -- acording to whom ?

Not so sure about a feeding frenzy, so much as it is striking a chord among a lot of people. As I look now there are 425 people reading this thread. Farangs come to Thailand for a lot of different reasons, and being beaten up by a gang of Thai teens is surely not one of them. So stories like sort of undermine the reason for being here, if attacks like this can occur.

And I certainly concur about the bad reporting, which seems to happen a lot. Poor representation of the facts, and little or no follow up on storieslike this one. But is certainly is funny to watch how posters fall on each side....

1. He was a drunk lippy Dutchman who deserved to get the crap kicked out of him. Good thing there were some polite Thai teenagers who were around to perform the lesson.

2. He was walking down the street minding his own business, when he was attacked by mindless teens who were looking for something to do.

Hopefully there will be a follow up story, and we can get a clearer picture of what actually happened. But I will not hold my breath...

That is the one thing lacking in Thailand follow up stories, also to keep pressure on the police.. its so quiet about the red bull go.. and look how easy the mercedes killer moo ham got off. The media should keep those things in the headlines maybe creating a bit of outrage.

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

I agree. He did something before and then the teens worked a methodical stake out. Knew his path patterns and waited for revenge. Looks like they got it. And to presuppose this guy (image) didn't fight back? Right. He fought back but got his tail handed to him on a plate. Or in a bowl.

Difficult to count how many assumptions in this post. Nothing else better to do with your time?

Japanese martial arts strategy for fighting several attackers includes:

Walk Away

Run Away

Keep Things Simple

In other words, when you cannot walk away or run away, keep things simple.

Keeping things simple means keeping on the edge of the circle of attackers so you can deal with one at a time

Destroy the first and preferably weakest attacker so others may get second thought.

If possible, throw them into each other

Never get caught in the middle so you can be surrounded!

In aiki spirit,

name="EyesWideOpen" post="6215559" timestamp="1363578793"] had a good friend of mine who served two tours in Vietnam. He told me if you are up against one guy, just stick to Queensberry rules for fighting.

If six guys are coming at you, you are now in a fight for your life. So act accordingly. Hint.....no rules,where teeth make a great weapon, and an eye gouge takes the fight right out of a attacker..

He looks big for sure but if drunk your at a disadvantage, also many against one.. not good odds. I wonder what the reason is, if he says he did not provoce it and that is true then i really wonder why. Though we have random violence back home in the Netherlands.

As to Jurgen fun to see anti Dutch sentiment havent seen it before a new thing.

The main thing about living in this country for me is being able to walk around in safety, and I still say that if you don't interfere with anybody, stay sober, and mind your'e own business, you will be 99.9% safe. Also, it does not matter if the guy upset those teenagers, there is no excuse for many against one, the guy being drunk would be easy for one person to sort it out, but again, many against one is very much in Thai culture.

Here for you jaap fries the big huge tattoed guy.. does not look that impressive here and deservant of a beating.

Just a normal average guy with a tatoo.

Not saying he is innocent but to judge him on just a picture is a bit to much for me.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

I agree. He did something before and then the teens worked a methodical stake out. Knew his path patterns and waited for revenge. Looks like they got it. And to presuppose this guy (image) didn't fight back? Right. He fought back but got his tail handed to him on a plate. Or in a bowl.
Difficult to count how many assumptions in this post. Nothing else better to do with your time?
Hahaha I think you are right. When I saw the words " teen" and "methodical stakeout" used in the same sentence, I thought either that post was going off the rails, or it was great irony...

OK, thanks for your perspective. But, do you not think the thai punks are considerably less courageous than most? I do see some one on one fights in the States. Takes a bit of a man to engage in one, right?

I've seen a couple of 1-on-1, Thai-on-Thai fights over here.

I saw a cracking 1 on 1 Thai on Thai fight outside Central Chitlom once, involving a tuk tuk driver vs a taxi driver. Tuk Tuk driver 'won' after beating the taxi driver senseless with an steel pipe, and then left him bleeding in the middle of the <deleted> road, which mae it realy awkward for me to drive around.

What a load of nonsense is spouted by most members on here -- must be some very bored old farangs - it's like the feeding frenzy of a school of piranha.

The Thai newspaper (link in the coconut article) mentioned witnesses and CCTV camera's. So there were 6 teens on motorcycles.

Quite possibly this sort of thing will become commonplace in future

Thai men must be getting a bit pissed off that farangs are taking all their women - even though they may get them further down the line as GIKS!

Farangs are taking all their women? What?

• Like 1

Sloppy journalism, or maybe sloppy police. The guy's first name is stated as Dijk, well, nobody in the Netherlands is called Dijk. Dijk means dike in Dutch. Most likely his first name is Dick.

You mean Dick Van Dyke?

had a good friend of mine who served two tours in Vietnam. He told me if you are up against one guy, just stick to Queensberry rules for fighting.

If six guys are coming at you, you are now in a fight for your life. So act accordingly. Hint.....no rules,where teeth make a great weapon, and an eye gouge takes the fight right out of a attacker..

That's a ridiculous suggestion. He got off with a beating and survives. If he was using the methods you suggest he may have been killed.... that's apart from the fact he was drunk and wouldn't have had a chance against 6 young Thais no matter what he could have done.

• Like 1

Quite possibly this sort of thing will become commonplace in future

Thai men must be getting a bit pissed off that farangs are taking all their women - even though they may get them further down the line as GIKS!

Farangs are taking all their women? What?

Bit of a side issue.... Thai men are laughing their asses off , while they are spending all the money their bar-girl girlfriend just gave them. So Thai men should be smiling and nodding when they see a farang.. But maybe the teens are not in that financial loop yet. Edited by EyesWideOpen

There is a long pointless argument going on with neither side making any sense.

We do not know what happened. He could have provoked them or could have been a random act of violence.

Why not wait to hear more details before passing judgement on the Thai's or the victim?

No it's not pointless, unless you think it is OK to assault people for reasons other than self-defence.

Does Thai law permit that? I'm quite sure it doesn't.

1. The discussion on Thai-Visa will not establish the guilt of the teens or help push for change in Thai law.

2. If you found out he slapped one of their girlfriends in a drunk rage, would you feel the same way about the ass-kicking he took?

Thai law makes the offending party pay 500 baht fine.

We do not know what happened or what was the provocation was. So suspend judgement and pointless debate until there is more evidence.

You suggest everyone else should "suspend judgement and pointless debate" yet your post brings up the completely speculative and unjustifiable suggestion that the victim here could have slapped one of the Thais girlfriends.

What's that all about? Bringing pointless debate into a post that advocates no pointless debate?

• Like 1

There is a long pointless argument going on with neither side making any sense.

We do not know what happened. He could have provoked them or could have been a random act of violence.

Why not wait to hear more details before passing judgement on the Thai's or the victim?

No it's not pointless, unless you think it is OK to assault people for reasons other than self-defence.

Does Thai law permit that? I'm quite sure it doesn't.

1. The discussion on Thai-Visa will not establish the guilt of the teens or help push for change in Thai law.

2. If you found out he slapped one of their girlfriends in a drunk rage, would you feel the same way about the ass-kicking he took?

Thai law makes the offending party pay 500 baht fine.

We do not know what happened or what was the provocation was. So suspend judgement and pointless debate until there is more evidence.

If he slapped one of their girlfriends, the person whose girlfriend he slapped should have went after him, not a crowd of them.

He looks big for sure but if drunk your at a disadvantage, also many against one.. not good odds. I wonder what the reason is, if he says he did not provoce it and that is true then i really wonder why. Though we have random violence back home in the Netherlands.

As to Jurgen fun to see anti Dutch sentiment havent seen it before a new thing.

On this picture he doen's look that big:

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/191188

I should have known better, the right light and angle can make a guy look big. Anyway might be a random act of violence unfortunately that happens all over the world also back in the Netherland. There were a few recent cases where the guys got caught because of CCTV. Hope they get the guys too.

Sorry ,it was only a farang,CCTV not working.

I seem to recall another story where Thai teens attacked a farang with machetes. When interviewed by the police, they said they were simply out to attack a farang, so apparently in that case the farang was not a fault.

IMO these cases are getting more common whats the cause though financial frustration, drugs or simple boredom?