Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

webfact

First of all; his name's probably Nicolaas Dijk, rather than the other way 'round.
Secondly, just looking at the physique of this chap; I doubt very much that he was set upon by these teens "for no reason";
this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger.
This is precisely the reason I left The Netherlands when I was 20; too many arrogant Dutchmen there IMHO.
I, for one, would be very interested to hear the story from the kids point of view.

You should look at other pictures he is not big at all.. plus if physicque was a measure of how insulting people were id be really insulting and im not. It was always said that the "friezen" were stuborn and not to bright seems like there might be some truth in that old saying afteral.

Just because someone has a tattoo or some muscles does not make him a fighter. And on the other pictures its clear that he is not muscular at all.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais always insult, mock and fight in groups. I get sh@t thrown at me all the time in Pattaya and Bangkok, just for refusing to smile all the time - I must admit I do look a bit miserable but it's just my demeanor and i refuse to smile when asked why not or ordered to. I never cause trouble because I have too muh at risk in Thailand. They never say anything to me when alone - only when their mates are around. It's the herd mentality so prevalent in Thailand. They would never treat their own the way they treat farangs. I know the immense value that a smile has in Thailand but I refuse to fake them.

Interesting attitude. I wish you luck.

• Like 2

First of all; his name's probably Nicolaas Dijk, rather than the other way 'round.
Secondly, just looking at the physique of this chap; I doubt very much that he was set upon by these teens "for no reason";
this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger.
This is precisely the reason I left The Netherlands when I was 20; too many arrogant Dutchmen there IMHO.
I, for one, would be very interested to hear the story from the kids point of view.

Let's hope the Police catch the teenagers who did this so we can hear their version and stop making stereotype judgements based on size, build, tattoos or nationality.

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

Wake up!

Some Thai teenagers will get in the right mood to beat up a foreigner.

And do it.

Just for fun.

The anti-farang mood in Thailand is growing.

And guess who is fuelling this mood?

• Like 1

Why do some posters feel that they need to comment that this goes on in other countries, we all know that but it's Thailand we are discussing because that's where most of us live and that is where this happened.

Strange how so many farangs choose to blame everything on the ex pats and very rarely complain about the actions of thais, perhaps you should stop a-se licking and accept not all Thais are paragons of vitue and honesty.

Perhaps because they are considering the simialr social issues worlwide to help contextualise the local issues and possible gain an insiight into underlying common themes which might help explain the actions and drivers. It's the opposite to having a narrow mind.

Really, so you believe that many posters actually compare the social issues in the western countries cited as examples being common to Thailand as well therefore justifying things and stating it's the opposite to having a narrow mind is exactly the opposite as they cannot accept that Thailand is anything other than perfect.

Thais always insult, mock and fight in groups. I get sh@t thrown at me all the time in Pattaya and Bangkok, just for refusing to smile all the time - I must admit I do look a bit miserable but it's just my demeanor and i refuse to smile when asked why not or ordered to. I never cause trouble because I have too muh at risk in Thailand. They never say anything to me when alone - only when their mates are around. It's the herd mentality so prevalent in Thailand. They would never treat their own the way they treat farangs. I know the immense value that a smile has in Thailand but I refuse to fake them.

Maybe you should consider using the false smile as a weapon – just as Thais do.

• Like 1

There are just to many foreigners that need to be taught some respect

God please tell me you are not a teacher in this country. Since when is 'respect' best taught with a face beating? But let me go with your silly story. Even if the guy was disrespectful, do you think he learned to be more respectful with a beating? No. He learned to be more careful. Careful and respectful are vastly different. So now he has no respect, but doesn't say anything. Great.

Which leads to my next question. Who is your father? Is this how YOU were taught respect, by getting your face kicked in by him?

• Like 2

Soi Dogs

If one one makes brief eye contact and acts like one is trying to avoid them and treats them with due respect (although disgusting at times to do this) they usually never give you a second look after sniffing you out.

Thai Youth Late at Night

If one one makes brief eye contact and acts like one is trying to avoid them and treats them with due respect (although disgusting at times to do this) they usually never give you a second look after sniffing you out.

Even thinking for one moment that you have the upper hand on these people LATE AT NIGHT will get you in a pine box quicker than you think. There will be no one there to bail you out and your last thoughts will all you have left to enjoy on this planet. These virulent spawn are precious to the adult viruses who spawn them, and the adult viruses do not want foreigners handling them in the way that you wish you could, but regrettably cannot, if you value your life.

I never had a problem in some really dark places when I followed the rules stated above.

• Like 2

I wonder if this is really increasing over time or if its just better reporting.

Lots of unfavorable for Thailand news tends to go unreported and now international media is changing this somewhat.

For all I know it might be getting better but we are seeing more reports to feed the hungry media.

yes mabey more to this story but we know this much for sure....but im sure we will see more and more of this in the future....jelous little cowards are the perps....im sure he would love another chance sober and mabey 1on 1.....but this is the cowards style...then we see the other ugly seed...''revenge''......

Are you serious?

"this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger."
Amazing insight from someones appearence
  • Like 1

The reason might even be some slight that this guy has handed out to one of the teens. By that, it could have been as simple as beeping his horn at one of them, or cursing one as they cut him up or something as silly as that.

Even so, if they have attacked him for some silly action on his part, that is disgusting and to have 6 attack him is even more so,

Will there be justice? We will have to wait and see, But not everywhere is like Pattaya or Bangkok. In some areas the police still do do their job.

There's been a bit of a sport over in the US, where groups of inner city youths just choose someone at random to kick the crap out of them. If I remember correctly, some even videotaped it and put it on youtube. Maybe this is catching on in Thailand as well.

• Like 1

Pathumtani is usually quiet I have been living here for 20 years .... Thai teens dont fight without reason , either he did or said something wrong as apparently he was intoxicated. sometime those teen group don't need much to start a fight.

Or these Thai teens were trying to prove themselves to some low life gang leader? How come you defend violent Thai youth? Do they have a reason when they join in Gang fight between schools etc?

Are these types of attacks getting more common??? Maybe there is some sort of anti farang ground swell among Thai teens... :-(

He does look like a bit of a scrapper, am surprised that there was not one or two teens laying next to him when the police showed up. Or maybe he bought into the Thai brainwashing of never fighting back, and how important it is to have a cool heart in Thailand.

How on earth do you deduce that "he does look like a bit of a scrapper" from a picture of a beaten man getting medical assisitance?

This happens in other countries too. Although situations and motives are not necessarily the same.

If you happen to be black or Asian in the streets of Moscow, chances are sooner or later you will get attacked by groups of russian neo-nazis, and sometimes beaten to death. 6-7 to 1.

Hopefully, attacks (for whatever reason) on foreigners in Thailand are a rare occurence. I was actually surprised to read this news.

Of course, this does not make this beating in Bangkok any less serious.

Edited by peterbkk9

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

Wake up!

Some Thai teenagers will get in the right mood to beat up a foreigner.

And do it.

Just for fun.

The anti-farang mood in Thailand is growing.

And guess who is fuelling this mood?

Drugs and poor education ???

What a load of nonsense is spouted by most members on here -- must be some very bored old farangs - it's like the feeding frenzy of a school of piranha.

Really, what are the facts ? A Dutchman, named Nicolaas Dijk was beaten - that's all ! "six teens" on "motorcycles" - this is according to Dijk or eyewitnesses ? - we don't know ! " intoxicated" -- acording to whom ?

No facts -- only bad reporting and speculation.

He could have been beaten up by a farang or his girlfriend.

Edited by tigermonkey

You should look at other pictures he is not big at all.. plus if physicque was a measure of how insulting people were id be really insulting and im not. It was always said that the "friezen" were stuborn and not to bright seems like there might be some truth in that old saying afteral.

Just because someone has a tattoo or some muscles does not make him a fighter. And on the other pictures its clear that he is not muscular at all.

@KaasKop: You and your ilk' were the reason I left NL when I was 20. The rest of your infantile remarks don't even deserve the dignity of a response.

I think the most unfortunate issue is that the media left too much for speculation as they are incompetent in their own journalistic skills

I bet Coconutsbangkok will be pleased to hear they are now considered the media.

Did this story make any other news source? I somewhat doubt it.

The story just said "No Apparent reason" which seems pretty accurate... They just don't know the reason.

How would any media find out the reason? by calling the police or hospital? Interviewing bystanders?

• Like 1

This reminds me of what I was just explaining the other day to a new comer to Phuket. Don't ever get into it with a Thai no matter how young, big or bad you are or no matter what degree black belt you have because the next day that little Thai will come back with all his buddies probably with weapons and your toast.

<snip>

My toast? But I didn't order toast. blink.png

• Like 2

@KaasKop: You and your ilk' were the reason I left NL when I was 20. The rest of your infantile remarks don't even deserve the dignity of a response.

Ah so its not infantile to judge someone on looks only if there is something infantile then that is it. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by its cover. Also if you look at other pics supplied by an other poster the guy is not muscular at all.. not that that is an excuse to beat him up.

There was one person infantile.. that was you.. kinda what goes around comes around.

Violence do not need to have any reason, not long ago ago a guy in his 20s was beaten and stabbed by a group of 15 people in the city I live in. And no reason, they just wanted to have some "fun", sad, but true.

Are you serious?

"this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger."
Amazing insight from someones appearence

Yeah, well "54321" - when you have lived/worked in this country for over 20 years, maybe you would also have acquired some insight into what actually makes this place tick, okay ? BTW "may well have" is simply speculative, so we're all playing the guessing-game here: you have a better "speculation" ?