Dutchman Beaten By Thai Teens For No Apparent Reason

webfact

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sloppy journalism, or maybe sloppy police. The guy's first name is stated as Dijk, well, nobody in the Netherlands is called Dijk. Dijk means dike in Dutch. Most likely his first name is Dick.

There is no 'c' in the Thai language. It's probably been translated.

He looks big for sure but if drunk your at a disadvantage, also many against one.. not good odds. I wonder what the reason is, if he says he did not provoce it and that is true then i really wonder why. Though we have random violence back home in the Netherlands.

As to Jurgen fun to see anti Dutch sentiment havent seen it before a new thing.

Have you EVER heard of a one on one fight here in the LOS? These two bit punks will only attack in a gang. Unless you are well schooled in the martial arts, what chance do you have against 5-10 punks? Will they ever show the courage to fight like men? Of course not. Do you know why? because they are not men. They are 13 year old boys, in the body of an adolescent, or a young man. It is a disguise. They only will fight in packs, since they do not have a single courageous bone in their body. Whether or not this attack was provoked is besides the point. Even if it was, one man, to one man. Mano a mano. Something the Thai punk kids do not believe in, and a risk they are unwilling to take.

I don't condone more guys on one but its quite normal al over the world. Back in the Netherlands you see it too im sure it happens in the UK too. Not many fair fights anyway.

But come on would you attack a guy a head bigger and 20-30 kg heavier then you all alone. I guess you would not most people would not. So those Thai guys would either not attack him or do it in groups. Nobody goes into a fight they can't win.

Just a fact of life there are almost no fair fights outside a ring, maybe long ago but i bet even then people used things to make fights more "equal".

I don't condone this but its not a Thai thing its happening all over the world.

OK, thanks for your perspective. But, do you not think the thai punks are considerably less courageous than most? I do see some one on one fights in the States. Takes a bit of a man to engage in one, right?

He looks big for sure but if drunk your at a disadvantage, also many against one.. not good odds. I wonder what the reason is, if he says he did not provoce it and that is true then i really wonder why. Though we have random violence back home in the Netherlands.

Have you EVER heard of a one on one fight here in the LOS? These two bit punks will only attack in a gang. Unless you are well schooled in the martial arts, what chance do you have against 5-10 punks? Will they ever show the courage to fight like men? Of course not. Do you know why? because they are not men. They are 13 year old boys, in the body of an adolescent, or a young man. It is a disguise. They only will fight in packs, since they do not have a single courageous bone in their body. Whether or not this attack was provoked is besides the point. Even if it was, one man, to one man. Mano a mano. Something the Thai punk kids do not believe in, and a risk they are unwilling to take.

I don't condone more guys on one but its quite normal al over the world. Back in the Netherlands you see it too im sure it happens in the UK too. Not many fair fights anyway.

But come on would you attack a guy a head bigger and 20-30 kg heavier then you all alone. I guess you would not most people would not. So those Thai guys would either not attack him or do it in groups. Nobody goes into a fight they can't win.

Just a fact of life there are almost no fair fights outside a ring, maybe long ago but i bet even then people used things to make fights more "equal".

okay 6 guys at what? 50 kg each

6 times 50kg = 300 kg

What did this victim weigh? 75 kg?

300 vs 75 kg? Maybe Thai people can't estimate weight well

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I have lived for six years in Thailand, including 4 years in a seedy part of Bangkok. I have never been in a fight, been threatened or even had a serious confrontation with anyone out here.

I can actually say that I feel much safer walking the streets of Bangkok at 4.00AM than I would feel if I was doing the same thing in my hometown in Belgium.

• Like 2

There is a long pointless argument going on with neither side making any sense.

We do not know what happened. He could have provoked them or could have been a random act of violence.

Why not wait to hear more details before passing judgement on the Thai's or the victim?

No it's not pointless, unless you think it is OK to assault people for reasons other than self-defence.

Does Thai law permit that? I'm quite sure it doesn't.

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

As stupid as it is to say "he obviously did nothing wrong," it's just as stupid to say "he must have done something wrong..."

I just love how people bring their perceptions to an event. No one yet knows what really happened. To take sides at this point, with truly no information, is just arrogant. Because I can make up stories about why something like this would happen to prove both sides are 'justified.' As it is, one person got beat up by six people. Forgetting why, that's seems a bit, um, oh I don't know, excessive? Geez.

• Like 2

OK, thanks for your perspective. But, do you not think the thai punks are considerably less courageous than most? I do see some one on one fights in the States. Takes a bit of a man to engage in one, right?

I've seen a couple of 1-on-1, Thai-on-Thai fights over here.

There is a long pointless argument going on with neither side making any sense.

We do not know what happened. He could have provoked them or could have been a random act of violence.

Why not wait to hear more details before passing judgement on the Thai's or the victim?

No it's not pointless, unless you think it is OK to assault people for reasons other than self-defence.

Does Thai law permit that? I'm quite sure it doesn't.

1. The discussion on Thai-Visa will not establish the guilt of the teens or help push for change in Thai law.

2. If you found out he slapped one of their girlfriends in a drunk rage, would you feel the same way about the ass-kicking he took?

Thai law makes the offending party pay 500 baht fine.

We do not know what happened or what was the provocation was. So suspend judgement and pointless debate until there is more evidence.

Edited by RuskiCat
  • Like 1

There are just to many foreigners that need to be taught some respect for these guys to go after an innocent bystander. He probably really does not know what he did but I would bet it was something along the lines of unnecessarily picking up and moving his waiter out of the way so he could get to his chair or quezzing the bar tenders hand and trying to pull him over the bar all the while with some dumb ass bad ass look on his face.

Besides if it was racial they would have stoned him or clubbed him. If they wanted money they would have robbed him. These guys wanted satisfaction.

Post "lesson", the Dutchman was overheard saying he had nothing but respect for the six teachers.

There is more to this story , I dont believe teenagers just start beating a foreigner without a reason.

He must have done something wrong in the past....

I agree. He did something before and then the teens worked a methodical stake out. Knew his path patterns and waited for revenge. Looks like they got it. And to presuppose this guy (image) didn't fight back? Right. He fought back but got his tail handed to him on a plate. Or in a bowl.

Wow - are you Sherlock Holmes? Do you use a crystal ball for these predictions?

We don't know the facts so how can anyone make such an authorative statement, without even qualifying it with IMO. Even then its specualtive.

How about he was walking along and a teen gang high on booze and/or drunks decide on bit of farang bashing, made easier because the victim's had a few drinks,

IME the Pathum Thani police are actually very good and do work. So let's see how things progress before condeming the victim of what could be a totally unprovoked attack.

• Like 1

Sure but i am also equally sure you will see many not one on one in the states. Its not a Thai thing and of course incidents like this where its a group against one are far likely to leave more damage and are more likely to get reported. So it scewers the view a bit. You will see it all over the world and sure some cultures have more of it then others.

Anyway I hope they catch the punks.

Why do some posters feel that they need to comment that this goes on in other countries, we all know that but it's Thailand we are discussing because that's where most of us live and that is where this happened.

Strange how so many farangs choose to blame everything on the ex pats and very rarely complain about the actions of thais, perhaps you should stop a-se licking and accept not all Thais are paragons of vitue and honesty.

yes well put. Anyone dragging out they had it coming theme is a complete suck up who should look inward to see what is broken in them.

If Thai's or anybody have a problem with someone then feel free to tell them verbally in a constructive manner.

Going from zero to violent bodily attack is primitive criminal behavior.

• Like 2

This reminds me of what I was just explaining the other day to a new comer to Phuket. Don't ever get into it with a Thai no matter how young, big or bad you are or no matter what degree black belt you have because the next day that little Thai will come back with all his buddies probably with weapons and your toast. If the cops get involved that could make it even worse. We will never know what really happened in this case but I would say the probability is high that he did something to cause one of them to lose face that night or even months before and they eventually found him alone. I'm a retired little old man now and it's even hard for me to keep my mouth shut when the Thai punks do something out on the street, best to just bite your lip and move on.

Edited by Miami Bob
  • Like 2

Why do some posters feel that they need to comment that this goes on in other countries, we all know that but it's Thailand we are discussing because that's where most of us live and that is where this happened.

Strange how so many farangs choose to blame everything on the ex pats and very rarely complain about the actions of thais, perhaps you should stop a-se licking and accept not all Thais are paragons of vitue and honesty.

I am talking about other countries because some people call this a Thai specific problem and that is not the fact. Thais are in this case no worse then others, and shit happens and i hope they get caught

• Like 1

Disgusting that this happened BUT being intoxicated surely didn't help things for the Dutchman. I for one have never been intoxicated more than about 4-5 times in my life

Two things. One. I've actually seen people come out of accidents better off having been drunk. As the body just goes with the movement and doesn't tighten for it. So as for helping him, my hunch is it did. If you are saying that because he was drunk, that it didn't help the matter because of something he did or said, how do you know? Being drunk is not a crime. Being drunk doesn't mean you are worthless. Being drunk doesn't mean you deserve to be attacked. What amount of drinking do you call 'drunk.' Where is your self righteous line? Thousands of people are drunk every day and don't say stupid things to others. Which brings me to number two. Two. So you haven't been drunk more than 4 to 5 times in your life? Well, I guess that makes you perfect, and gives you the right to stand above others and judge them. Nice go.

• Like 2

Totally agree Robblok. Gang attacks, often for no or very little reason are common in the UK, as are racist attacks of all hues. Many years ago an American friend laughed at the idea of "a fair fight". He was right - that's for Hollywood. In the street, anything goes.

As a teen I was in a gang. If one of our gang was attacked or insulted it was all in. Not nice - but that's how teen culture was at that time. And, I'm pretty sure from reading international news it hasn't changed much.

• Like 1

First of all; his name's probably Nicolaas Dijk, rather than the other way 'round.

Secondly, just looking at the physique of this chap; I doubt very much that he was set upon by these teens "for no reason";

this Dutchman looks like he may well have given these Thai kids some 'culturally insensitive' lip - which would be a motive for their sudden anger.

This is precisely the reason I left The Netherlands when I was 20; too many arrogant Dutchmen there IMHO.

I, for one, would be very interested to hear the story from the kids point of view.

Guess this should be the correct title.......

intoxicated Dutchman beaten for no apparent reason in Pathum Thani

The missing "intoxicated" may be part of the reason for "no apparent reason"............what a lousy lazy one sided farang reporter, no apparent reason he should be working as reporter and no apparent reason why Coconuts bangkok not even tell us who is the report who "create" such "News" while he should "report" newscoffee1.gif

Sure but i am also equally sure you will see many not one on one in the states. Its not a Thai thing and of course incidents like this where its a group against one are far likely to leave more damage and are more likely to get reported. So it scewers the view a bit. You will see it all over the world and sure some cultures have more of it then others.

Anyway I hope they catch the punks.

Hi seems like a big fellow in the pic. The bigger the victim the bigger the brag. (Common in a lot of cultures). Hope he can put it behind him as a Holiday adventure, and treat the next Thai he deals with (hopefully a lovely bar lady) with respect and love.

Perhaps because they are considering the simialr social issues worlwide to help contextualise the local issues and possible gain an insiight into underlying common themes which might help explain the actions and drivers. It's the opposite to having a narrow mind.

Thais always insult, mock and fight in groups. I get sh@t thrown at me all the time in Pattaya and Bangkok, just for refusing to smile all the time - I must admit I do look a bit miserable but it's just my demeanor and i refuse to smile when asked why not or ordered to. I never cause trouble because I have too muh at risk in Thailand. They never say anything to me when alone - only when their mates are around. It's the herd mentality so prevalent in Thailand. They would never treat their own the way they treat farangs. I know the immense value that a smile has in Thailand but I refuse to fake them.

There are just to many foreigners that need to be taught some respect for these guys to go after an innocent bystander. He probably really does not know what he did but I would bet it was something along the lines of unnecessarily picking up and moving his waiter out of the way so he could get to his chair or quezzing the bar tenders hand and trying to pull him over the bar all the while with some dumb ass bad ass look on his face.

Besides if it was racial they would have stoned him or clubbed him. If they wanted money they would have robbed him. These guys wanted satisfaction.

Pass it around please mate.

Actually, waiter tossing isn't PC anymore is it?