Baht Bus Fare

frodo77

I think some people who pay the actual CORRECT fare of 10 baht feel that people who overpay, double pay, etc. are doing a disservice and "spoiling" the drivers. I don't suggest looking at it this way. Many of the drivers are naturally very greedy already and don't really need any excuse to play games trying to get more than the correct fare. I also don't think the drivers RESPECT people who overpay more than people who know and pay the CORRECT fare. I think the opposite is true, even when they might be screaming at you trying to intimidate you into paying more than the correct fare. So, as I've said, you want to overpay? Up to you. That's your business.

What other people think (of me) is none of my business.

At least half of the songtoa, tuk tuk, and other folks are working class people with families.

I sometimes like to 'pay it forward' with whatever small diff i can make, and the occasional smile i get is plenty enough reward.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The type of driver that tries those kinds of scams is usually the type of driver with anger control issues. Policemen would NOT be interested and that's putting it mildly, and the drivers know that. I doubt the "complaint line" is interested either, but good luck.

I did say "if" it happened to me.

In 30+ years of bahtbus travel I have still yet to have any sort of problem with any bahtbus driver. Maybe it's karma.

More like luck, dude. When they kick off the entire bus of people at Pattaya Tai, it is nothing personal. They kick off the ENTIRE bus. If it hasn't happened to you, that's just random, because it happens sometimes, I can assure you.

Happened to me once,now when I come from Jomtien I ask the driver "you go second road" and most do so I hop on and yes its 10 baht thumbsup.gif

A new scam is gaining in popularity--if you go from Jomtien to Pattaya--some bhat bus drivers will stop right after South Pattaya Rd., park on the left (this would be very near the entrace to Walking Street and if you go the other way, the Wat) get out and tell all passengers that they must pay 20 baht to go any farther. This has happened to me twice over the past two weeks. What did I do? I got out, gave the a-hole driver 10 baht and flagged down another baht bus to take me farther down the road. What did I want to do? (no comment). Total a-holes! I have zero sympathy for any of them!

That corner is notorious for ahole drivers and their yelling.

Another policy i have, unless i am tired or lugging stuff, is not to wait in a bus for it to fill.

I will catch one drinving by,

A new scam is gaining in popularity--if you go from Jomtien to Pattaya--some bhat bus drivers will stop right after South Pattaya Rd., park on the left (this would be very near the entrace to Walking Street and if you go the other way, the Wat) get out and tell all passengers that they must pay 20 baht to go any farther. This has happened to me twice over the past two weeks. What did I do? I got out, gave the a-hole driver 10 baht and flagged down another baht bus to take me farther down the road. What did I want to do? (no comment). Total a-holes! I have zero sympathy for any of them!

That corner is notorious for ahole drivers and their yelling.

Another policy i have, unless i am tired or lugging stuff, is not to wait in a bus for it to fill.

I will catch one drinving by,

It's my impression a typical baht bus income (after expenses) in high season is well over 1000 baht per day. How much do Thai school teachers make per day? I know 7-11 clerks work very hard and make very little and are also almost always POLITE. Who deserves "charity" more?

Edited by Jingthing

Unbelievable the amount of time spent on this forum on difference of 10 or 20 baht fare. This topic has been going on for a long time. Give it a rest and use better time giving good advice on stuff that people really need answers to instead of just trying to build up posts. If a person wants to "tip" the extra 10 baht so what. I tip at restaurants, bars, taxis from airport and anyone else who gives good service. Same with baht bus drivers. Going from Jomtien where I live to say Pattya Klang, 20 baht is for me a fair price. I think a lot of drivers don't stop anymore and look for the special runs is because of the faroung cheap charlies. Taking a baht bus run from Jomtien to North Pattaya and for a faroung to only pay 10 baht is a cheap charlie in my book. Pay the fare price and you and the baht driver will feel better.

The fair price is the actual FARE. Which is TEN baht.

I agree it's your business if you want to pay double the actual fare. But please don't be laying a morality guilt trip on normal people who pay the actual fare. Would you do that to people who don't tip at 7-11?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I fell sorry for you Bath bus riders when I pass you in my truck or motorbike, especially the ones going from Pattaya to Jomtien (and the other way) loaded to the brim with big Farangs of both genders.biggrin.png

I only use them when I am downtown for beers with friends and normally catch a motorbike taxi home (app 120 bath) as no route that goes near my house.

When using the bath buses I also pay 10 bath.

Don't the bath bus drivers hire the trucks? I don't think many of them accurately owns them but are not sure.

I fell sorry for you Bath bus riders when I pass you in my truck or motorbike, especially the ones going from Pattaya to Jomtien (and the other way) loaded to the brim with big Farangs of both genders.biggrin.png

I only use them when I am downtown for beers with friends and normally catch a motorbike taxi home (app 120 bath) as no route that goes near my house.

When using the bath buses I also pay 10 bath.

Don't the bath bus drivers hire the trucks? I don't think many of them accurately owns them but are not sure.

The baht bus cooperative owns the baht buses AND the fake Pattaya taxi no meters.

Normal people would not have a guilt trip. They would pay the "fair" price. 20 baht.

There is no such thing as a fair price. Take a motorbike and you pay 20 baht , bahtbus is 10 baht. You want to change that because of your guilt ?

Baht bus drivers earn more than the staff working at 7 eleven , maybe you want to give them tip every time you buy your milk.

Normal people would not have a guilt trip. They would pay the "fair" price. 20 baht.

There is no such thing as a fair price. Take a motorbike and you pay 20 baht , bahtbus is 10 baht. You want to change that because of your guilt ?

Baht bus drivers earn more than the staff working at 7 eleven , maybe you want to give them tip every time you buy your milk.

Brilliant post. Repeat, repeat. All the master posters lemmings are out in force. Ha ha ha. This is why there are so many problems with some of you with the baht bus drivers. Just because the Thai baht is so high now you seem to think by beating the baht bus driver out of 10 baht for a trip from Jomtien to North Pattaya is going to help your finances at a working mans expense. The baht bus driver does earn more than 7/11 staff because he has a harder job and also has a cash outlay which he might not get back from renting. Not all baht bus drivers are as bad as you seem to imply. What I mean by a fair price is if he asks for 20 baht to go that distance, I think is not unreasonable. Years back I remember the argument when Thais were paying 5 baht and some of the posters were up in arms when they asked for 10 baht. I repeat, Cheap Charlies. Keep saving your 10 baht and have a coronary every time you ride a baht bus.

Edited by willyumcr

Have a 10 Baht coin with you & pay when you get off.. Shouldnt be a issue & if they ask more say thats what you have paid before & its its a additional problem ask for drivers name to inform tourist police & see what they say??

Brilliant post. Repeat, repeat. All the master posters lemmings are out in force. Ha ha ha. This is why there are so many problems with some of you with the baht bus drivers. Just because the Thai baht is so high now you seem to think by beating the baht bus driver out of 10 baht for a trip from Jomtien to North Pattaya is going to help your finances at a working mans expense. The baht bus driver does earn more than 7/11 staff because he has a harder job and also has a cash outlay which he might not get back from renting. Not all baht bus drivers are as bad as you seem to imply. What I mean by a fair price is if he asks for 20 baht to go that distance, I think is not unreasonable. Years back I remember the argument when Thais were paying 5 baht and some of the posters were up in arms when they asked for 10 baht. I repeat, Cheap Charlies. Keep saving your 10 baht and have a coronary every time you ride a baht bus.

So when you are in your own country I assume you always look at the fares for whatever means of transport you use and then pay them double the fare because you earn more than them.

I earn a lot less than the baht bus drivers. Should I pay one baht? coffee1.gif

I earn a lot less than the baht bus drivers. Should I pay one baht? coffee1.gif

no charlie, you should ride for free. I don't recall posting how much I make. What difference does it matter how much you make? Everyone pays the same. If the fares were posted probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I suggest toleration for people who pay the correct fare -- 10 baht -- and also toleration for people who choose for whatever personal reasons to pay more than the correct fare -- 10 baht. But the correct fare is still -- 10 baht.

That sums up two pages of quite futile messages.

Fascinating thread coffee1.gif

I'm surprised nobody has brought up yet the fact that the official fare is the same for Thais and foreigners (no double pricing,amazing!!!), although a few years ago Thais used to pay 5 Baht and foreigners 10.

Considering that the majority of Thais make less money, would it be fair to bring back that difference? tongue.png

I'm surprised nobody has brought up yet the fact that the official fare is the same for Thais and foreigners (no double pricing,amazing!!!), although a few years ago Thais used to pay 5 Baht and foreigners 10.

Considering that the majority of Thais make less money, would it be fair to bring back that difference? tongue.png

Besth, I brought this up in post #51. I actually think it is a good idea. Like you said it was that way. But the foreigners complained so much (like there doing now) so they raised it up to 10 for everyone. In my home country all public transportation is posted so you can choose if you want to use. Should be that way here also. Good input. smile.png

If/when the fare changes in future or semi-official double pricing gets instituted again, I'm sure that big news will be posted very quickly here on this forum. For now, the fare is 10 baht. Period.

Would you post the official fare for all of us now? or their website.

If/when the fare changes in future or semi-official double pricing gets instituted again, I'm sure that big news will be posted very quickly here on this forum. For now, the fare is 10 baht. Period.

The G/F came down from BKK (On Nut) last week for a visit and asked "why you pay 10 baht for baht bus" in BKK its only 7 baht-

last year just 5 baht? wink.png

The current (real and legitimate) ambiguity is that yes "long haul" fares are officially 20 baht for Thais as well. The issue is how to define long haul. There is no official definition of long haul from the baht bus cooperative. There is no official cut off line after Pattaya Tai from Jomtien from the baht bus cooperative. So people (and drivers) are free to make up their own rules about what defines long haul. As I've said before if you go from Jomtien deep into Naklua, you really SHOULD and probably will be forced to (if the driver remembers) pay 20 baht. I've also said many times that I often even usually pay 20 baht going from Jomtien to Big C without any demands but I also know many drivers will accept 10 baht for that, and the volume of people on the bus DOES change the psychology. As I've said before, there is a situational aspect to the fare structure here. It's best to be flexible.

In my, yes extensive, experience the vast majority of drivers are totally OK with accepting 10 baht, Jomtien to Pattaya Klang, even on an empty bus. After Pattaya Klang, a higher percentage of drivers are not going to accept that, and that is why personally I usually pay 20 baht to Big C (but YOU don't really have to in all cases).

So the basic fare is 10 baht.

The long haul fare is 20 baht.

How you define long haul is both up to you and up to any "feedback" from the driver.

I do suggest that people ignore "feedback" from drivers up through Pattaya Klang coming from Jomtien though, but that again is up to you. I would change my advice if I found a significant percentage of drivers were balking at 10 baht on that run, but that as yet is NOT the case.

There are always exceptions in a rough system like this. For example there is a specific baht bus team here that actually tried out putting a hostile old lady to ride on the passenger area of the bus. She was collecting fares and screaming at people to pay 20 baht for obviously shorter haul rides and openly arguing even with Thais (and me). She called me a bad man for advising the tourists to pay the correct fare, 10 baht, which I took as an honor. If you encounter an outlier bus like that, just bad luck, it ain't normal.

The reason many people think that it's 20 baht anywhere past Pattaya Tai is because they encountered that demand ONE TIME and assume that applies to all buses. But it doesn't actually. Those are outliers. If that changes, I will know it for sure, and I will be happy to inform here.

Also obviously if you want to pay 10 baht on a run that some drivers may see as a long haul, pay the 10 baht in exact change, not in a 20 baht note for best results!

WHY you might ask doesn't the baht bus cooperative better DEFINE what they mean by long haul? My feeling is the drivers LIKE the ambiguity, it is very Thai, and they probably feel and are probably correct that they come out ahead keeping the ambiguity. As in two week tourists overpaying all the time kind of thing. A better defined system would stop that.

Edited by Jingthing