What Is Best Thai Additive For Fuel?

rene123

What is the best Thai additive for fuel in a bike that is going to be stored without running for 6 months? I see lots of additives at Tesco, but because I don't read Thai and the salespeople are less than helpful I'm not sure what to buy. I buy stuff in Canada that is supposed to keep moisture from collecting in the gas tank, but I'm not sure of the chemical content. I have been told to keep my fuel tank filled completely to minimize air space that can attract moisture. I am quite willing to drain the fuel tank without running the stuff into my motor when I get back in 6 months.

Any ideas, guys? I'm sure one or more of you will have a good answer. I'm a total newbie when it comes to motors.

6 months is an extremely long time, with that said I can say that you can basically do nothing to keep moisture from getting into the fuel tank. Especially with fuel now-a-day containing ethanol, which works like a magnet to moisture in the air, and with Thailand sometimes having air humidity of 70 to 80% percent you're never going to stop it.

If it was any shorter period of storage I probably would say drop halve a tea spoon of two-stroke oil in a full petrol tank... and make sure you fill-up with benzine fuel... Still this will probably not work for 6 months...

Thank you for the replies. Now the question is... Where do I find Benzine 95 in Chiang Mai. I'll have to do some searching. I think that topic has been beaten to death here. I'll try to get my friend where I store it to ride the bike regularly.

In Canada the stuff for keeping out the water is methyl hydrate or methalated spirit (UK) or Coleman stove fluid. The biggest concern is rust in the tank.

You could make your own additive (Seafoam) 4 parts diesel , 2 parts naphthalene (lighter fluid) and 1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol. Since it is a motorbike use the lighter fluid as the base measure add twice as much diesel and half as much isoproply (from pharmacy).

Or as you say simply top off the tank with 95 benzine and leave it. Then upon return siphon out the gas and start again.

• Like 1

In Canada the stuff for keeping out the water is methyl hydrate or methalated spirit (UK) or Coleman stove fluid. The biggest concern is rust in the tank.

You could make your own additive (Seafoam) 4 parts diesel , 2 parts naphthalene (lighter fluid) and 1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol. Since it is a motorbike use the lighter fluid as the base measure add twice as much diesel and half as much isoproply (from pharmacy).

Or as you say simply top off the tank with 95 benzine and leave it. Then upon return siphon out the gas and start again.

That's not so different to my dads old formula. Half a cup of two stroke oil and a 750ml bottle of metho. smile.png

Make sure that no moisture can creep into the cylinders by way of the exhaust. When you park the bike, check that the pistons are on top dead center and the valves are closed.

What kind of bike are you talking about?

Thanks Rolo. Great idea! How can one establish/confirm top dead center, valves closed? Would a plug in the exhaust pipe help?

(I'm going to have to leave my bikes sit for a while too.)

Nuovo Elegance; Wave 110i; CBR 150i.

Make sure that no moisture can creep into the cylinders by way of the exhaust. When you park the bike, check that the pistons are on top dead center and the valves are closed.

What kind of bike are you talking about?

Thanks Rolo. Great idea! How can one establish/confirm top dead center, valves closed? Would a plug in the exhaust pipe help?

(I'm going to have to leave my bikes sit for a while too.)

Nuovo Elegance; Wave 110i; CBR 150i.

I usually plug the exhaust and the air intake too. The local marine store here used to sell fuel stabilizer but it seems no one bought it. He said the larger marine stores would probably carry it. If not, fill it full of the new 95 yellow and leave it, IMHO. If it's going to be stored for 6 months it mightn't be a bad idea to get the tires off the ground also.

• Like 1

I top my tank up to full, use a paddock stand and get it started up and run for 20mins at least once a month, worked fine for a years layoff and just drove the remaining fuel out and had an oil and filter change on reusing it, absolutely fine. You may find a fuel stabiliser though, I would defo look for one.

Good cover to keep cat and gekko poo off your paintwork.

When you get back home go to a marine store. I'm sure they have Startron the best gas additive I've used. In the states you can even buy it at Walmart for 6-7 bucks for a 8oz plastic bottle good for 40 us gallons. May be you could send a bottle to your friend.If you have any doubts ask the guys at a marina that store their boats for the winter about it.

Edited by kennedy

The engine moisture problem can be solved by spraying WD-40 into the intake until the engine stops. Wouldn't hurt to spray the whole engine.

Yes, WD-40 will not hurt the whole engine, but the catalytic converter in the exhaust system will probably not like it very much...

Neal do you know where in this country to get 91% isopropal alcohol?

All I can find is the 70% isopropal in Pattaya. Even the hospitals here say they do not have 91%. It also makes a great TV monitor & internet monitor cleaner that does not leave streaks on LCD-LED's or Plasma Tv's

Edited by Beardog