2013 Honda Vfr 1200F

SumetCycle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to drop the revs before you push the button to change gear then or you just push the button no matter the revs,that must feel so strange as jonny f says I can't imagine riding a bike with no clutch or gear lever

Went out for a short ride today. To shift in the manual mode, all you have to do is press the button. You don't have to come off the throttle at all. Pretty fun once you get used to it.

Congt. on the new bike Brian.

I saw the video from Almera's post no 32. That bike hits 260 quite easily, impressive, it yours in same "trim" or is there any restrictions on it?

Bloody hell, it made my ex Harley look like something from the 60's, he-he.

• Like 1

Congt. on the new bike Brian.

I saw the video from Almera's post no 32. That bike hits 260 quite easily, impressive, it yours in same "trim" or is there any restrictions on it?

Bloody hell, it made my ex Harley look like something from the 60's, he-he.

Thanks. No restriction, it is full power.

I would have thought these would top out nearer to 300 km/r it wasn't a Thai by any chance that told you it's not restricted.....lol

260=161 mph

After looking at google seems them speeds are correct,so the cbr 1000 will still leave it standing at the lights.

Edited by taninthai

According to a comparison test I was just reading they said the older model with manual gear box was actuall slightly quicker 0-60 and over a 1/4 mile drag race.

Yes obviously this bike has more than enough power there.

However I think my 12 year old hornet 600cc will beat it 0-60 hehehehe after that I'd be chasing his exhaust fumes this is all based on a 0-60 time of 4 seconds for the vrf which I see advertised and is possibly wrong maybe a bit quicker than that I should think.

According to a comparison test I was just reading they said the older model with manual gear box was actuall slightly quicker 0-60 and over a 1/4 mile drag race.

Yes obviously this bike has more than enough power there.

However I think my 12 year old hornet 600cc will beat it 0-60 hehehehe after that I'd be chasing his exhaust fumes this is all based on a 0-60 time of 4 seconds for the vrf which I see advertised and is possibly wrong maybe a bit quicker than that I should think.

Yeah, I've seen 0-60 times as low as 2.9 and as high as 4.0. I'm guessing it is somewhere in between, depending on the rider.

On another note, I rode to work through gridlocked traffic today. Kept it in auto and went through it without a problem. Even squeezing between the front/back of cars to switch lanes was a breeze. A heavy bike for sure, but low and balanced enough to make it very easy to control. I'd say it gets through the traffic as easily as my Versys.

DCT / auto mode sounds like a fantastic idea. I'd love to try to see how quickly it shifts in manual mode - is it like shifting without clutch? I'd imagine that that's the fastest way and the DCT system should have enough sensory input to make it happen.... in theory it could adjust the timing and the revs perfectly every time, no?

DCT / auto mode sounds like a fantastic idea. I'd love to try to see how quickly it shifts in manual mode - is it like shifting without clutch? I'd imagine that that's the fastest way and the DCT system should have enough sensory input to make it happen.... in theory it could adjust the timing and the revs perfectly every time, no?

Yes, it is like shifting without the clutch. There is a really weird clunking sound when you change gears though. You can hear it in some of the videos. Used to it now, but disconcerting at first. Never heard a bike sound like that when changing gears. Not sure about adjusting the timing and revs perfectly, but it feels that way. Every shift is the same, smooth and seamless.

Today I went to a Fast Bike Magazine launch event at Central World. Bad idea. It wasn't so much not being able to get through the trafffic. It was roasting at the 10 minute red lights. It got so hot at one point that it felt like my d?!k was being burned by the gas tank. I was sure to sit a good distance from the tank for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

dct in theory adjust the shifting time for economy mostly but it has power modes i guess, right Brian?

It has three modes, regular auto (economy mode, very early shifts), sport auto (later shifts), and full manual (power mode, I guess).

VFR selling in Thailand is Japan spec only 111ps

It is not as good as in korean video. You have to buy from Grey importer to get full 175 PS USA spec.

Don't buy from Honda Thailand. all bike in their showroom is Japan spec.

It is not as good as in korean video. You have to buy from Grey importer to get full 175 PS USA spec.

Their prices alone are enough to scare me off coupled with the lower specification it's a double sucker punch.

No, the CBR 1000 is the only restricted Japanese spec bike sold by Big Wing. The VFR is full spec for sure.

@summit

Curious why the change? riding posistion and comfort?

Comfort and a bike more suited for 2 up touring. Still wanted something fast and sporty though. I loved the 1000, but it wasn't the most practical bike for the type of riding I do.

No, the CBR 1000 is the only restricted Japanese spec bike sold by Big Wing. The VFR is full spec for sure.

mmm think a dyno run needed to clear this one up,i must admit i was and still am thinking why would they sell the cbr restricted and not the vfr........

mmm think a dyno run needed to clear this one up,i must admit i was and still am thinking why would they sell the cbr restricted and not the vfr........

Different newer engine design. All Honda's newer bikes are looking to the future of further ecological stuff.

Because the CBR 1000 couldn't pass emissions. The VFR 1200F with DCT could. I could do a dyno for sure. A call to Big Wing would clear it up as well. They will confirm what I said.

Ah the emissions does sound about right,but Dunno about dct affecting the emission results isn't dct just the auto gear box system.No disrespect but I wouldn't take what big wing told me as gospel.

Edited by taninthai

Ah the emissions does sound about right,but Dunno about dct affecting the emission results isn't dct just the auto gear box system.No disrespect but I wouldn't take what big wing told me as gospel.

I figured that in auto mode with the shifts at lower rpms would help in the emissions test. I could be wrong. When I ordered the CBR 1000, I thought it was full spec. I found out otherwise and went through with the purchase anyway. I asked Big Wing if the 1000 was restricted and they answered thruthfully. I derestricted it, but was a bit upset that it wasn't full spec right off the bat. No way I would go through that again. I have been assured by Big Wing that the VFR 1200 is full spec and I have no reason not to believe them.

I figured that in auto mode with the shifts at lower rpms would help in the emissions test. I could be wrong. When I ordered the CBR 1000, I thought it was full spec. I found out otherwise and went through with the purchase anyway. I asked Big Wing if the 1000 was restricted and they answered thruthfully. I derestricted it, but was a bit upset that it wasn't full spec right off the bat. No way I would go through that again. I have been assured by Big Wing that the VFR 1200 is full spec and I have no reason not to believe them.

I dont think the shift point would make a difference when testing emissions

Otherwise one could sandbag any bike past the test. Also aren't emission tests stationary?

On your old 1000 I guess the next buyer gets a bonus in getting a unrestricted bike.

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt.
The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt.

The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.
seems about right they were talking about poor torque in the lower rev range......think you still need to do a dyno run to clear this up. or the poster that bought this up needs yo supply a link to where he got that info from.

I figured that in auto mode with the shifts at lower rpms would help in the emissions test. I could be wrong. When I ordered the CBR 1000, I thought it was full spec. I found out otherwise and went through with the purchase anyway. I asked Big Wing if the 1000 was restricted and they answered thruthfully. I derestricted it, but was a bit upset that it wasn't full spec right off the bat. No way I would go through that again. I have been assured by Big Wing that the VFR 1200 is full spec and I have no reason not to believe them.I dont think the shift point would make a difference when testing emissionsOtherwise one could sandbag any bike past the test. Also aren't emission tests stationary?On your old 1000 I guess the next buyer gets a bonus in getting a unrestricted bike.
Sorry, I'm really not familiar with how emissions tests work.

Big Wing said the second hand price they gave me was for the bike in stock form. They weren't interested in the aftermarket stuff. I was hoping they would just offer a bit more for the bike in modded form. I was thinking it would be cool for the new buyer to get an unrestricted bike. There is also the the attachment you get to your bike. It kills me that my they are going to change everything back to stock form. Selling all the extras to a friend who has a restricted 1000.