Jackets For The Heat....

GooEng

On a scale from 1 to 10.. Ten being leathers and 1 being a T-shirt..

Probably a 4.5 And the revit a 6. I've never worn leathers, only felt in the shop.

Maybe that's a bit harsh.. But its intended use is suburban speeds where I wanted to trade safety down a level for a little bit more comfort.

The revit airwave feels a lot more sturdier where as the dainese feels like a bit of mesh in the shape of a jacket to hold the armor in place...lol. But that's what I wanted.

I feel that if I were to low side the armor would save an elbow strike to the ground. The elbow and forearm areas are adequately constructed, as is the shoulder areas. Front and back are only mesh and not as strong.

Combined with Kevlar jeans, gloves and boots and full face, I've still got a lot on.

• Like 2

BUMP.. a 1 yr old thread, rather than start a new one..biggrin.png

So I got a Revit Airwave Jacket for riding around Bangkok. As this is my first jacket, i've got nothing to compare it to for airflow ability .. But some others have said it doesn't flow air that great.

I'm looking for a second jacket so i can rotate my wardrobe a bit... I'm looking for textile with elbow and shoulder armor.

I wear gear all the time. Full face, jacket, kevlar jeans. boots, gloves.. So im thinking the second jacket i might go one step lower in protection / quality for the sake of more airflow.

This is solely for slow speed riding in traffic.

Dirt shop in BKK has Acerbis jacket thats pretty light weight and about 3000 baht odd

Real helmets also make cheap jackets under the name of BACUDA.. for about $3500 baht.

http://www.real-helmets.com/2014/product.php?p=5#main

anyone suggest some models?

I had an 2014 model of a 3500B Bacuda / Real jacket and I just upgraded to a white/black Revit Airforce 7900B, which is around 70% white. I'm well pleased for everyday riding, although i found the sleeves a bit grubby after a week, its plastic mesh so I'm sure i can attack it with a light brush and it will clean up fine.

My old Bacuda jacket, didnt fit too well especially on the arms, if i was ever to have a crash then I'm sure the elbow pads would have spun, the material was like the revit airwave, honeycomb material which was thick and quite heavy.

Last weekend i went on a local hunt for a jacket for the missus, she tried on the Bacudas, same thing, ill fitting and bad placement of elbow pads. She liked a Nerve jacket for an overpriced 3000B which fits well, but the quality/protection is poor and will suffice until we get to Bangkok.

I was quite surprised by the quality of copy RS Taichi jackets, quite solid for around 3000B, shame we couldn't get a WM L for her.

If anyone is visiting the States soon (or knows someone who is) Revzilla is letting their remaining stock of Dainese Air Flux jackets go for $150 (~4500bt) shipped (US only) down from $200, and they've still got most sizes available (colors are limited- they've only got the gray left in my size, i.e.).

• Like 1

Just bought the Revit Galactic jacket from Panda Rider. Very nice, 13,500 baht including 10% member discount. It's a mesh leather combo which I feel is the best option for day to day riding here, 100% mesh makes me feel a bit vulnerable on a proper ride and my full leather Dainese is really really hot. I really liked the Komine JK-021 I had before this (also leather mesh combo) but it's a copy and the stitching is poor so I decided to replace it. Fine for low speed rides though, super comfy. Paddock has original Komine JK021's for about 12,000 baht but I didn't see them until I'd bought the copy for 5000 baht - annoying...

This Revit has pretty good airflow at the front and back but all impact areas are leather. Best of both worlds! Nice soft leather too, and the predominantly white portion always helps in the sun! Highly recommended...

Mens-WhiteBlack.jpg

It won't stay predominantly white if you ride in BKK every day biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just bought the Revit Galactic jacket from Panda Rider. Very nice, 13,500 baht including 10% member discount. It's a mesh leather combo which I feel is the best option for day to day riding here, 100% mesh makes me feel a bit vulnerable on a proper ride and my full leather Dainese is really really hot. I really liked the Komine JK-021 I had before this (also leather mesh combo) but it's a copy and the stitching is poor so I decided to replace it. Fine for low speed rides though, super comfy. Paddock has original Komine JK021's for about 12,000 baht but I didn't see them until I'd bought the copy for 5000 baht - annoying...

This Revit has pretty good airflow at the front and back but all impact areas are leather. Best of both worlds! Nice soft leather too, and the predominantly white portion always helps in the sun! Highly recommended...

Mens-WhiteBlack.jpg

It won't stay predominantly white if you ride in BKK every day biggrin.png

I don't ride much in BKK, normally drive and when I do ride I wear very basic protection, not full leather. The ATGATT guys would probably label me a squid if they saw me filtering through bumper to bumper traffic at 30 kph in helmet, jeans and trackie top but that's OK because for me it's too hot, and the speeds too low to warrant more than that. I'm fine if guys wear full leather for that type of journey, but it's not for me.

At the weekends I gear up but I'm normally out of BKK within 20 minutes of getting on the bike.

Mens-WhiteBlack.jpg

Looks just about ideal. I remember arguing about having white leather and was pilloried by a number of (expert) members for the idea, saying it would get filthy dirty and that I knew nothing about "real" biking. Nice to see there are some sensible people on this forum too.

But anyway that looks really stylish, white in the right places and a very reasonable pricetag too, how is in this really hot weather, it was 45c today in the centre of Khon Kaen? Perhaps that was a silly question, I know the answer is bloody hot, but possibly bearable?

I bought a white fabric bikers jacket last year, secondhand for £10, which works and a new one for the missus, but this is really nice, do they do a ladies version too?

^

You're referring to me, and, as usual, you've gotten it wrong.

Actually you said leather has no place in Thailand at all, and implied that people who wore leather had sexual identity issues and offered to point those who did to some 'special' sites they might like. You also completely ignored the fact that using different colors (light with dark) was explained to you previously, as well as many other factors that determined whether a jacket was suitable for the heat. This was back when you had a plan to make your own silver reflective jackets.

My exact reply to you was The argument isn't over what colors absorb more heat, but, rather, how those colors can be combined to give the best of all worlds- all black runs hotter- all white/light colors get dirtier- how can they be combined to run cooler and last longer? This is the third time I've tried to explain it to you- you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Here's the thread if you need a reminder: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663322-ventz-jacket-sleeve-vents-for-increased-airflow/page-2- you weighed in (sarcastically and unnecessarily) from post #28.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

Mens-WhiteBlack.jpg

Good looking jacket and its white and black parts are all in the right places. It got black on where I get the most dirt on mine when I ride.

Mine is all black perforated leather and I don't feel too hot when I'm moving, and by moving I don't mean riding fast.

Mens-WhiteBlack.jpg

Looks just about ideal. I remember arguing about having white leather and was pilloried by a number of (expert) members for the idea, saying it would get filthy dirty and that I knew nothing about "real" biking. Nice to see there are some sensible people on this forum too.

But anyway that looks really stylish, white in the right places and a very reasonable pricetag too, how is in this really hot weather, it was 45c today in the centre of Khon Kaen? Perhaps that was a silly question, I know the answer is bloody hot, but possibly bearable?

I bought a white fabric bikers jacket last year, secondhand for £10, which works and a new one for the missus, but this is really nice, do they do a ladies version too?

Yeah they do a ladies version. Not sure if Panda stock it though.

I got back yesterday from 700kms around khao yai and then kanchanaburi. A few bugs on it and a bit of grine which came off easily with a damp sponge and household soap. Don't think keeping it clean should be too tricky given that I will wear it 2 or 3 times a month. Maybe a pain if you were commuting with it in wet season...

• Like 2

^
Its on their website, so best is to call them and ask about availability:
http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsLeatherJackets.html

I guess the white leather will look better when old than dirty white polyester. There once was a question about cleaning leather jackets when they start to stink. Someone said Panda offers cleaning service. Does this help? I like my textile jackets bc easy to wash. But if no stank i would next time buy leather too.

^

You're referring to me, and, as usual, you've gotten it wrong.

Actually you said leather has no place in Thailand at all, and implied that people who wore leather had sexual identity issues and offered to point those who did to some 'special' sites they might like. You also completely ignored the fact that using different colors (light with dark) was explained to you previously, as well as many other factors that determined whether a jacket was suitable for the heat. This was back when you had a plan to make your own silver reflective jackets.

My exact reply to you was The argument isn't over what colors absorb more heat, but, rather, how those colors can be combined to give the best of all worlds- all black runs hotter- all white/light colors get dirtier- how can they be combined to run cooler and last longer? This is the third time I've tried to explain it to you- you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Here's the thread if you need a reminder: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663322-ventz-jacket-sleeve-vents-for-increased-airflow/page-2- you weighed in (sarcastically and unnecessarily) from post #28.

Then you weren't the person I was referring to, so calm down Mr Down, it's hot. There was quite a gang if I recall and it is under those circumstances that I tend to react.

So we both agree this is a suitable jacket for Thailand if you are moving at a rate of knots?

There are some nice white leather jackets for women in the UK, so may start with her, since she is more vulnerable than I.

Mine is a silver / gray. Seemed the best compromise between light color for heat reflection and dark color for looking clean.

Something like my Joe Rocket from the US? Yes, I'm the Tin Man, 555. No leather, but like everything else, cool when moving, hot when stopped. The jacket is older and washed, the pants newer and unwashed.

post-36190-0-68931100-1430093584_thumb.j

• Like 1

Something like my Joe Rocket from the US? Yes, I'm the Tin Man, 555. No leather, but like everything else, cool when moving, hot when stopped. The jacket is older and washed, the pants newer and unwashed.

Similar. I bought mine from the HD dealer in Vancouver. End of season sale. No idea who made it, but has served me well.

Only beef is it has only shoulder and elbow armor. Have been in contact with Forcefield, they have this style coming in end May. May just give it a try - remove existing armor and wear this underneath.

I posted a thread about it before, some said that it shifts if/when you go down. In talks since with the manufacturer, they say that it is completely adjustable, so can get it to fit snug.

Will serve both for my road bikes and my off road - not cheap, about $500

post-81192-0-73587400-1430096555_thumb.j

Similar. I bought mine from the HD dealer in Vancouver. End of season sale. No idea who made it, but has served me well.

Only beef is it has only shoulder and elbow armor. Have been in contact with Forcefield, they have this style coming in end May. May just give it a try - remove existing armor and wear this underneath.

I posted a thread about it before, some said that it shifts if/when you go down. In talks since with the manufacturer, they say that it is completely adjustable, so can get it to fit snug.

Will serve both for my road bikes and my off road - not cheap, about $500

attachicon.gifForcefield-EX-K-Harn-Adv.jpg

Yes, anything but the best and most expensive will have its drawbacks, but as someone else said, the best protection you have is what you're wearing. It's tempting to say that something is better than nothing, but I'm not so sure. I recall reading about a doctor describing having to pick out tiny pieces of melted fabric from abrasions and that it paid to spend a bit more for fabric that wouldn't melt when skidding across payment.

I'm long-retired, but still use my 20 year old Airforce-Issue jacket the "

CWU 45/P NOMEX MIL-SPEC FLIGHT JACKET

still available, now via Online direct from Alpha Industries, I see:

http://www.alphaindustries.com/mil-spec-jackets/alpha-industries-cwu-45p-nomex-mil-spec-flight-jacket.htm

a tad more expensive new, than they were 20 years ago

post-205215-0-78086100-1430129212_thumb.

post-205215-0-74042600-1430129237_thumb.

fantastic insulation, even worn out there in the sun all day in the Topics.

also flame resistant.

OK, unless you are into Hi-Vis

It outlasted my past years in the bike - luckily no decent prangs so can't vouch for it's protection value.

You forgot to mention the part about sprinkling gunpowder over the wound and lighting it up smile.png

You should have seen my drunken passengers LH heel. Got it caught between the chain and rear sprocket when his foot slipped off the footpeg.

That is why we crashed. They kept him tho'

Paddock are still selling the A* TZ1 Reloaded jacket for THB 9,900 (it was 19,500 a year ago). I've got a white one. Got dirty quick but frankly I don't really care. It's still <deleted> hot if you're not moving, but that's partly 'cos I've got the back and chest protectors in. I also have a Clover mesh jacket I picked up at Panda in a sale last year for 5000.

That said I also have to 'fess up, like JonnyF, to riding around BKK sometimes with helmet, gloves, kevlar jeans, ankle boots but no jacket. Personally I think riding a bike in a t-shirt in hot weather is one of life's pleasures.