How To View Diff Thai Fonts - Word 2003 (have Th Language & Fonts Installed Already)

sonic_11uk

I'm using Win XP and have the language toolbar installed from the Windows CD, with Thai Kedmanee selected.

I have some Thai fonts installed, and when using Microsoft Word 2003 I can view Thai text.

I can't however change the font. When I select a different Thai font, the text remains the same whichever font is selected.

I'm really hoping someone can highlight what I've overlooked, or what I should do to view the different Thai fonts.

Cheers!!!

You said you have "some Thai fonts" installed which suggests to me that you didn't use the fonts that came with XP. Did you install 3rd party fonts? The windows XP fonts uses dual metric fonts that were not available in previous versions of windows so using old fonts can be a problem.

You can see what I mean if you bring up the "Format Font" window. One metric will be for "Latin text font" (English) and the other metric will be "Complex scripts" (Thai or other). Try selecting the font you want in the Complex Script pulldown menu. If it doesn't show up there then this may be your problem.

Have you tried selecting all the Thai text ( so that is turns blue ) then changing your font ?? or do you mean you change the font but can't type new words in the new font ????

I did try this, but no luck - the font does not change.

You said you have "some Thai fonts" installed which suggests to me that you didn't use the fonts that came with XP. Did you install 3rd party fonts? The windows XP fonts uses dual metric fonts that were not available in previous versions of windows so using old fonts can be a problem.

You can see what I mean if you bring up the "Format Font" window. One metric will be for "Latin text font" (English) and the other metric will be "Complex scripts" (Thai or other). Try selecting the font you want in the Complex Script pulldown menu. If it doesn't show up there then this may be your problem.

I can scroll through a small number of fonts in the "Complex Scripts" drop down menu through the "Format Font" menu. As I do this, the Thai fonts do change in the preview window.

These are a very small number of the fonts that I had downloaded and installed - they show up in the "Latin text font" drop down menu.

I have all my fonts installed into the same fonts folder - is this correct?

It may seem that I do indeed have the older fonts which can't be displayed on Word in Win XP, so are there any websites that anyone might recommend to download Thai fonts - for Win XP!

Cheers!!!

Edited by sonic_11uk