Is It Possible To Enjoy Driving In Los?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did a 5 day driving trip from Pattaya to north of Sakon Nakhon and back. Spent the night in Khon Kaen on the way up and it was an uneventful trip. Pretty nice roads except that small part through the mountains near Khao Yai. Idiots like to pass on blind corners. But not very scenic except through Khao Yai. Crazy traffic and trucks between Pattaya and Kabin Buri. No fun at all.

KK to north of Sakon Nakhon was pretty nice. Not much traffic and a pretty nice drive through the mountains. Was great to spend a few hours at the King's residence in the mountains there. Beautiful gardens.

From there, we went directly to the Mekhong River. I had this stupid idea of driving down the river as best we could and then cut back in near Ubon. What a mistake. The roads were absolutely horrible. Not much problem with traffic, but you'd be driving along at 80KM and BAM! A huge section of bad road would hit you. Then it'd get nice, you'd relax a bit, and BAM! More pot holes. Really hard you as a driver.

We spent the night in Mukdahan and then near Surin. From Phibun on it was a tough road. Lots of traffic, crazy drivers, dangerous trucks. Just no fun. You really had to be on guard.

Got home around 3PM and was beat. I'm from the west coast in the US. You can do 70MPH on the highways and they are great. Put it on cruise and go.

I have done some drives around Chiang Rai/CM and did have a great time. The MHS loop is great. That's our next road trip. Pattaya to the Golden Triangle. Can't wait.

I Was persuaded by one,two or more of my more "Careful, keeniow" friends that when driving up to a little town called Khao suan kwang 45K north of Khon Kaen from Pattaya I should take the 331 through the mountains and save money because it was a shorter distance than going up the motor way.

It maybe shorter but heck its not quicker and certainly not quiet either with all the traffic on the minor roads evading the police check point on the main arterial roads.

It wasn't cheaper either with all the slower heavies crawling up the mountain road with all the gear changing and slowing down on the two lane carriage ways.

Checked it out twice now and in future will stay with the cruise control and relatively relaxed traffic on the motorways.

Edited by n210mp
  • Like 1

I don't know, I kind of enjoy driving in Thailand.

Me too.

Me three. There's freedom that I don't get in Scotland.

Last year, I drove my mother's car and got annoyed with the restrictive laws. For example, not being allowed to turn left at lights when red and nothing coming. In Australia I got a ticket for parking my car(facing the wrong way), which is bloody ridiculous.

Why? Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Guess so, according to Neeranam's thinking. Sir, you can't park facing the wrong way unless you drove on the wrong side of the road. Very Thai.

Or, maybe you were parked on the sidewalk? whistling.gif

Man up children. People cry about the Nanny-state back home controlling their lives, then come here and cry “Where is my Nanny and why isn’t she protecting me?” Grow a pair and learn how to fend for yourself.thumbsup.gif

Sure it is a wild, crazy, unregulated world out there but isn’t it a whole lot more fun that way? Jump on in, the water is fine. Driving in Thailand is an adventure and a thrill a minute, so sit back and enjoy.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Man up children. People cry about the Nanny-state back home controlling their lives, then come here and cry “Where is my Nanny and why isn’t she protecting me?” Grow a pair and learn how to fend for yourself.thumbsup.gif

Sure it is a wild, crazy, unregulated world out there but isn’t it a whole lot more fun that way? Jump on in, the water is fine. Driving in Thailand is an adventure and a thrill a minute, so sit back and enjoy.biggrin.png

I think not. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I think not. coffee1.gif

PMA, Transam, PMA....

I can drive aggressively, with gay abandon, run lights (turn left legally against a red - probably the one good thing to come out of Thai driving), beat EVERY Thai (without exception) away from the lights as they come to terms with the moving colours in front of them and should I transgress the speed limit rules it will only cost me 3 Quid, 4 Quid , nearly 5 Quid.

Oh, glory ! I feel like Toad in the Wind of the Willows.

• Like 1

I just did a 5 day driving trip from Pattaya to north of Sakon Nakhon and back. Spent the night in Khon Kaen on the way up and it was an uneventful trip. Pretty nice roads except that small part through the mountains near Khao Yai. Idiots like to pass on blind corners. But not very scenic except through Khao Yai. Crazy traffic and trucks between Pattaya and Kabin Buri. No fun at all. KK to north of Sakon Nakhon was pretty nice. Not much traffic and a pretty nice drive through the mountains. Was great to spend a few hours at the King's residence in the mountains there. Beautiful gardens. From there, we went directly to the Mekhong River. I had this stupid idea of driving down the river as best we could and then cut back in near Ubon. What a mistake. The roads were absolutely horrible. Not much problem with traffic, but you'd be driving along at 80KM and BAM! A huge section of bad road would hit you. Then it'd get nice, you'd relax a bit, and BAM! More pot holes. Really hard you as a driver. We spent the night in Mukdahan and then near Surin. From Phibun on it was a tough road. Lots of traffic, crazy drivers, dangerous trucks. Just no fun. You really had to be on guard. Got home around 3PM and was beat. I'm from the west coast in the US. You can do 70MPH on the highways and they are great. Put it on cruise and go. I have done some drives around Chiang Rai/CM and did have a great time. The MHS loop is great. That's our next road trip. Pattaya to the Golden Triangle. Can't wait.

I Was persuaded by one,two or more of my more "Careful, keeniow" friends that when driving up to a little town called Khao suan kwang 45K north of Khon Kaen from Pattaya I should take the 331 through the mountains and save money because it was a shorter distance than going up the motor way.It maybe shorter but heck its not quicker and certainly not quiet either with all the traffic on the minor roads evading the police check point on the main arterial roads.It wasn't cheaper either with all the slower heavies crawling up the mountain road with all the gear changing and slowing down on the two lane carriage ways.Checked it out twice now and in future will stay with the cruise control and relatively relaxed traffic on the motorways.

Wow man someone that uses cruise control in Thailand. Probably have to set it at about 50 and sit in the slow lane.

We do the Phuket to Sarakham trip regularly and never had occasion to use cruise control - too busy dodging the rest of the boys on the road. Must admit I do enjoy it though.

I think not. coffee1.gif

PMA, Transam, PMA....

I can drive aggressively, with gay abandon, run lights (turn left legally against a red - probably the one good thing to come out of Thai driving), beat EVERY Thai (without exception) away from the lights as they come to terms with the moving colours in front of them and should I transgress the speed limit rules it will only cost me 3 Quid, 4 Quid , nearly 5 Quid.

Oh, glory ! I feel like Toad in the Wind of the Willows.

Hmmmmmm, l worry about your gay stuff behind the wheel. w00t.gif

No, it's not possible, it's a matter of trying to survive against all odds from people crossing all lanes during U-turn,

or inside pattaya, waiting in traffic jam.

Then to top it off you also have the crooks fine for imaginary offenses, like driving in right lane with a bike

No, it's not possible, it's a matter of trying to survive against all odds from people crossing all lanes during U-turn,

or inside pattaya, waiting in traffic jam.

Then to top it off you also have the crooks fine for imaginary offenses, like driving in right lane with a bike

i do have a copy of the Thai highway code - would you like me to PM a copy ?

Are you referring to this one

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Section 34 (500B)
[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall
keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus
lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
d. when overtaking another vehicle
e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

or this one

http://www.thailawonline.com/th/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/159-land-traffic-act-be-2522-1979.html

?

Edited by metisdead
: Thai script removed, let's keep it in English.

Learned to drive in Canada/Ireland

have driven in - UK, France, Italy, Portugal, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Mexico (cancun, pvr, mazatlan), Dominican Republic, Laos, Thailand, Morocco, Tunisia, Jamaica, Belgium and a few other places.

Best thing I did was get de-programmed from my western brainwashing on how to drive. Makes going for a spin here much more relaxing. Yes everything you have listed applies to driving in Dog-Leg-Shire, South Yorkshire but hey that is what I love about Thailand. I am a good enough driver that I don't need rules!

Try going for a spin in the far north east between Chiang Khan and Nakhon Phanom along the Mekong River Route. Truly one of Thailands amazing drives.

That's what I wanted to do. Drive along the river. Can't be done on the route I took except for a very few places. I spent most of my time looking for potholes and not being able to watch the scenery!w00t.gif

I have to admit, the section between Na Haeo to Chiang Khan was the worst bit of road on our recent road trip.smile.png Chiang Khan to Nong Khai was not too bad. Except for that one really bad road, the trip from Chiang Kham to Chiang Khan was remote, beautiful and fun, with some really great driving roads. I didn’t have to use cruise control on the whole route.wink.png Checked out Phu Hin Rong Kla on the way home, and it was amazing. I love driving in Thailand, especially the North and mountains.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Me too.

Add me to the list of being happy and liking driving here.

You lot must be the young crowd. laugh.png

Young at heart. Old in the head :P

Night time is best for driving long distances though. Air con off, windows open, wind whistling past - not for the old folk who'd be asleep at this time of night though ;)

Me too.

Add me to the list of being happy and liking driving here.

Sure, it is not so enjoyable like driving in europe, but i dont have extreme problems like the OP seems to be having. Out on the big highways, i drive slowly on the left lane enjoying the sights. Been driving here safely for 18yrs.

Then there are the tapioca trucks and the sugar cane trucks, shedding bits of their overloads all over the roads. Mind you, I'm impressed with the way these trucks are loaded - seems to me that they contract to deliver (say) ten tons of sugar cane and so load eleven or twelve tons. By the time they get to the delivery point they'd be down to about the right load weight. Is that clever or what?

No, driving here cannot be considered 'fun', but it does hone your defensive skills.

13 in a bakers dozen, is somewhat similar

I have to admit, the section between Na Haeo to Chiang Khan was the worst bit of road on our recent road trip.smile.png Chiang Khan to Nong Khai was not too bad. Except for that one really bad road, the trip from Chiang Kham to Chiang Khan was remote, beautiful and fun, with some really great driving roads. I didn’t have to use cruise control on the whole route.wink.png Checked out Phu Hin Rong Kla on the way home, and it was amazing. I love driving in Thailand, especially the North and mountains.smile.png

Very nice looking road trip! One I'd love to do. What time of year do you think this would be best done??

I used to ride a Harley Davidson touring bike here in LOS. One time on a 4 day trip up North with HOG (Harley Owners Group) we were 8 bikes coming to an intersection at about 110-120km/h,

but not all riders could make the green light. Thankfully the cop at the intersection quickly saw what was going on and halted the traffic so we could pass in one go.

I was in the back of the group so I thundered over for red light at 120 whilst the cop saluted us and we waved back.

I though to myself, man this is great, no way that could had happened in Denmark where the nanny state rules.

Not all are cut to drive/ride in Thailand but I must say I mostly enjoy it.

• Like 1

Are you referring to this one

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Section 34 (500B)

[if the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall

keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus

lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

or this one

http://www.thailawonline.com/th/thai-laws/laws-of-thailand/159-land-traffic-act-be-2522-1979.html

?

Thank you, and apologies. I had seen section 33 - section 34 actually covers 'overtaking' where there are 2 lanes.

I have just looked for what I had believe to be 'non-fictitious' offence - that of a pick-up/green plated vehicle NOT being allowed to use the outside line. Can't find it - so it may be another fictitious one !!

I particularly like section 71 - "If when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let other vehilcles go through first". This would presume that the driver, approaching the junction, bothers to look right.

PDF version here:-

Thaidriving.pdf

On section 71, i can both understand the rationale and agree with the enforced principle at intersections in

pattaya where you see the "waiting here on green light turning left" ... or something along the lines,

since none give way to the oncoming traffic that has green light for a brief period.

On section 71, i can both understand the rationale and agree with the enforced principle at intersections in

pattaya where you see the "waiting here on green light turning left" ... or something along the lines,

since none give way to the oncoming traffic that has green light for a brief period.

I am thinking more of traffic joining a main road from the left - rarely do drivers look right.

Very nice looking road trip! One I'd love to do. What time of year do you think this would be best done??

I don’t like crowds so always travel off-peak season and would recommend, before or after the winter rush. We may have been better off going a couple of weeks earlier but not much more than that. By the time we arrived at Phu Hin Rong Kla, they had repaired the dirt road that takes you to some of the remote mountain tops and villages. One of the park officials said it gets pretty much impassable late in the rainy season, but it was in great condition for us.

We were able to find accommodation easily wherever we stopped throughout the trip and no crowds in the park. Rainy season might be prettier but mountain roads do get washed out on occasion so you might have to wait out a storm or two.

• Like 1

The trip we just took was a bit ruined by the smoke. At times, you could barely see across the Mekhong River. Our eyes hurt and my wife's throat was not in good shape.

I bet the roads are in tough shape during and right after the rainy season!

Etans,,, they are another thing.

Why is they think they can drive at 7pm at night with no lights on.

Encountered one last night, fortunately we were traveling in opposite directions

I spent a lot of time in Mexico. The rule there is to not drive at night. Same in India.

We did a few hours at night on our recent road trip. It was scary. The road between Ubon and Khorat is really busy. Many trucks only travel at night to avoid traffic, and they drive crazy. Like you said, not unusual to see drivers with no lights on, only parking lights, or only high lights! Same applies to scooters on the side of the road.

One time we were cruising along at about 90km when I thought I saw 4 lights ahead of me. Yup. One truck over taking another. The one passing flashed their lights at me to get over. I flashed back. Didn't work. I was literally run off the road. And yes, right into a pot hole.

After a long day of driving, starting early in the morning, 6PM is happy hour. Time to relax and have a well earned beer! Can't see anything at night anyway. Kinda ruins the whole reason of driving around to see the countryside!