Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

They just don't get traffic, traffic control & movements & parking requirements.

Widen Beach Road so it then stacks up at the WS corner & 2nd Road lights.

i thought the word was that all the bars between Beach Road & 2nd Road were being replaced with family friendly entertainment areas.

How will the traffic cope with all these extra people, at least bar mongers walk or Songtheaw it everywhere.

i don't have an answer, that's coz I am not as smart as Pattaya City Officers....

More reasons to look elsewhere for a more relaxed environment to live

..pictured here during a 7 hour debate regarding how to divide this months banana money

attachicon.gifGood Idea Bozo.jpg

Love it, Looks so realistic violin.gif

this is why the tourist will need insurance before he or she is allowed to travel to thailand....hmmm the plot thickens....

There are so many more important and urgent improvement that Pattaya needs, not reconstruction of beach road.

The biggest issue are the sewers. The sewers need to be cleaned and enlarged to prevent flooding of streets. Every rainy season, or even a heavy rainfall, we have to wade through sewage in the streets and close businesses.

Next, is making decent sidewalks.

Well, yes. But traffic congestion ranks up there too. There are a lot of very congested 4 way intersections across town.

A radical one-way system would help; cars would drive a bit further but traffic would flow better. (i.e. South Pattaya road is one way towards the beach, Center Pattaya Road the other way towards Sukhumvit, North Pattaya is wide enough for two way of course. Then Third Road could go South only. Or, create loops by making traffic drive on the 'wrong' side of the road where needed to complete a loop, they did that in Chiang Mai for one road and that works well. (for example, suppose you're going North on Second Road towards Pattaya Klang and you want to turn right on to Klang. Then they could make it so you actually drive on the right-hand side of the road for the stretch until Third Road. That prevents traffic having to cross other traffic streams (eliminate right turns across oncoming traffic as much as possible.) And then big flyovers or tunnels at all major intersections on Sukhumvit, but that goes without saying.

I have to say, in my 13 years here, this is the hands down stupidest thing I have ever seen done here..... The real solutions are simple.

1. get rid of the rental bikes clogging the inner lane

2. ban tour buses full of gawking Chinese tourists

3. put in a simple shuttle tram system that goes around in a loop.

• Like 2

Beach Road should be closed for traffic, broken up, and the beach widened. 2nd road is never more than a couple of hundreds of metres away. What a stupid idea it is to have heavy traffic directly at a beach full with holidaymakers. Excusable in a spa at the Riviera that's been around for 2,000 years; and even there a travesty like this is rare, but not in a test-tube city 50 years old. I'm happy to leave this place soon, everything is so fekking stupid.

• Like 2

Beach Road should be closed for traffic, broken up, and the beach widened. 2nd road is never more than a couple of hundreds of metres away. What a stupid idea it is to have heavy traffic directly at a beach full with holidaymakers. Excusable in a spa at the Riviera that's been around for 2,000 years; and even there a travesty like this is rare, but not in a test-tube city 50 years old. I'm happy to leave this place soon, everything is so fekking stupid.

Ehm. It's a beach side boulevard. I love those. Jomtien too.

For comparison, you seem to want a layout like Samui. An island that claims to have responsible development, no tall buildings, etc.

This is their 'beach road', in Chaweng. Yes, that's nearest to the beach; a claustrophobic kind of Pattaya Second Road.

post-64232-0-87390400-1364839921_thumb.j

Thank God for Pattaya having a lot more sense.

(See what I did there... I used 'Pattaya' and 'sense' in the same line. Score. wink.png )

Yes you can argue about how many meters of beach there should be, how much walking space and how much road space. Personally I thought it was just fine the way it was. Because if you allow in more traffic (either road widening OR clearing up the rental bikes and road-side parking) then you immediately attract MORE cars, because of the congestion on Third Road; Beach Road immediately becomes more attractive, so vehicles WILL fill it up.

I'm already tempted to use Beach Road when going South. The main reason for using Third Road for me is so my wife doesn't see fully how many bars there really are in town. smile.png But it's terribly slow.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Ehm. It's a beach side boulevard. I love those. Jomtien too.

For comparison, you seem to want a layout like Samui. An island that claims to have responsible development, no tall buildings, etc.

This is their 'beach road', in Chaweng. Yes, that's nearest to the beach; a claustrophobic kind of Pattaya Second Road.

attachicon.gifChaweng.jpg

Thank God for Pattaya having a lot more sense.

(See what I did there... I used 'Pattaya' and 'sense' in the same line. Score. wink.png )

Yes you can argue about how many meters of beach there should be, how much walking space and how much road space. Personally I thought it was just fine the way it was. Because if you allow in more traffic (either road widening OR clearing up the rental bikes and road-side parking) then you immediately attract MORE cars, because of the congestion on Third Road; Beach Road immediately becomes more attractive, so vehicles WILL fill it up.

I'm already tempted to use Beach Road when going South. The main reason for using Third Road for me is so my wife doesn't see fully how many bars there really are in town. smile.png But it's terribly slow.

pattaya and dollars..in the same sentence...

the contruction (destruction ) has stopped,and they have taken away much of the eqiupment....mabey they have a change of heart,mabey something more urgent required the back hoes,mabey was becuse of the marching band parrade today...

the contruction (destruction ) has stopped,and they have taken away much of the eqiupment....mabey they have a change of heart,mabey something more urgent required the back hoes,mabey was becuse of the marching band parrade today...

Thappraya rd revisited me thinks, dig it all up and leave it a year or ...
  • Like 1

Maybe they've been reading ThaiVisa?

• Like 1

The construction has not stopped. It is being done in sections. This is to allow for beach access by walking around the construction. The end currently is at Markland Condo.

Some of the next section has been marked etc. Palm trees are being removed as they can be replanted etc. I am told by native it will all be done eventually.

Narrow parts on beach will still allow for lanes and sidewalk which will extend out of/over the water.

Enjoy now the Old Patters Beach Experience.

LLL

Edited by threelegcowboy

yes this is thailand but,isnt there something we can do bout this,a meeting with city hall,a protest,media......is anyone willing to chain them selves to a coconut tree....we need to stop this while we still have time....

I think that when you construct a vertical (metal/concrete) barrier like they apparently are planning on doing just underneath the "new walkway" that will extend over the beach, you run a serious risk of beach erosion to the point where the barrier is located. If true, there goes the beach! On the positive side, there will be no more jet ski scams and tourists will no longer have to deal with the umbrella brigade w00t.gif

yes this is thailand but,isnt there something we can do bout this,a meeting with city hall,a protest,media......is anyone willing to chain them selves to a coconut tree....we need to stop this while we still have time....

Anyone chained to a tree would no doubt be relocated along with the tree!

Pattaya beach has to be one of the most unattractive beaches of any major resort in the world,,,I am afraid to even swim in the water...

One nice thing on the beach were the few remaining old growth trees....I guess they are planning to cut most of them down...Not only will it make the beach look worse but it will encourage the beach to erode even faster than it is now...

If you want to have a picnic on the beach promenade in the future ,you will be having a picnic in the 3rd traffic lane?

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

This proposal to widen Beach Rd and "re-do" the walk promenade was in the local newspapers back 6 months ago and mentioned on Thaivisa. Not much reaction then. I realize city hall looks at farangs as a bunch of complainers; yet, willing to lure them to the "resort city" of Thailand to make money off them. Meanwhile it is the "Thai way" not to complain or speak out against ridiculous changes like this. After living here, I can also see where if you are a local person, you could also be bullied by the higher ups so the local Thais are not going to speak out. Ironically, are the hotels along Beach Rd and other businesses that may suffer from the lack of beach space and the ugly, narrow promindade (with hardly any trees) that will not attact as many 4-5 star tourist that stay along this area. True, the sex tourist will still come and hang out along Walking street and other sois, but making this city more attractive by wiping out the palm tree promenade and ruining the beach will have more of a negative factor than positive one. Like I have said before, anything City Hall gets their hands on ends up being screwed up because of little thought.

• Like 2

I am afraid to even swim in the water...It would be nice if they did some water treatment to clean the bay up while they are digging everything up

Ah, therein lies your problem. You assume they have more planning ability than your little toe.:lol:

Easy answer build a tram system, and ban the baht buses!!

Never going to happen tongue.png

Yes, city hall had talked about a tram system starting from city hall and ending around walking street. The problem with this plan was the number of stops...about 4 all together. Wouldn't it make more sense to have one of the lanes along Beach Rd to be only a baht bus lane and (wishful thinking) run on electricty? Have the huge busses that have to be on Beach Rd. pay a toll to be on it.

well they brougt the grader in today,so the paving will follow in 2 days...and they are pouring the concrete for the sea wall...the paving will start next week....section 1 is almost done....i acnt believe they will tear down the little temple soi6 and beach rd....and they call them selves bhudists..they are just as bad as the criminals they point fingers at...except they hide behind a desk and a culture that has been taking it up the a$% for so long they dont know how to say no.....bend over here it comes again....

My only question is what is the REAL reason for trashing the beach ?? There must be one??

I mean cutting down most of the trees and making the already at times very crowded Promenade much smaller,thats <deleted> genius...

Adding a 3rd lane that will bottle neck at walking street ?

Not getting rid of the illegal parking in the 3rd lane thats already there?

Destroying the tiny bit of natural beauty Pattaya has for ????

You would think they must have some kind of master plan????

Edited by fforest1

My only question is what is the REAL reason for trashing the beach ?? There must be one??

I mean cutting down most of the trees and making the already at times very crowded Promenade much smaller,thats <deleted> genius...

yes money in someone back pocket

They're are 3 possible reasons:

1. Incompetence

2. Corruption

3. They are working towards a grand master plan and at the end of it all will be a much improved beach area.

If you select 3, the heat is getting to you and you need immediate medical attention.

The problem is that growth has narrowed the beach so much, that the sand is more vertical that horizontal, so how can the sand stay on the beach? Lots of beaches here are in the same shape. Sandy beaches are made by nature, not by man. Man comes along and builds a road and walkway as close to the sea as possible, then there is no room for the sand, so the sea eats it away. All the trees and sand bags will not stop the process.

Thank you for taking the time to produce a video (informative). I wonder how they are going to deal with the massive traffic jam-up--particularly as you turn left at the Walking Street entrance-- that will follow this development? Actually, they probably have not even thought about it. RIP Pattayastok Beach. Jomtienski Beach will be next in line. For some reason I feel like looking up the word "lunatic."

• Like 1

the real problem and the real enemy is the tour bus....last year pattaya had less than 100 now we have over 650...i know some of you dont see it, but come to beach rd some moring at 8 then again at 11 when all the tours are getting dropped for thier packaged (inculded) parasail,the tour bus has killed every resort that has allowed them control,they need to be parked on sukamvit and the tourists bt bused to the hotels etc..these buses now use the little soi's as short cuts,i see them on soi 4 backed up from beach rd almost to second rd,and often see ambulances stuck in the jam,as pattaya international hospital is on soi 4.....all this is for the tour buses,and they bring the toursits and they bring the money....

• Like 2