Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

I wonder what the new postcards will show?-- A 4 lane boulevard next to a drop off with just open space to the green poluted sea? no palm trees, just sunlight zooming in. (But the city doesn't care about esthetics (look how trashy the sidewalk are around town or lack of garbage bins), just make money off the construction and better yet, being able to line up more night vendors on the new lane when there is another city festival.

• Like 1

I wonder what the new postcards will show?-- A 4 lane boulevard next to a drop off with just open space to the green poluted sea? no palm trees, just sunlight zooming in. (But the city doesn't care about esthetics (look how trashy the sidewalk are around town or lack of garbage bins), just make money off the construction and better yet, being able to line up more night vendors on the new lane when there is another city festival.

all the litter, all the damaged bricks and statues and fountians etc,are caused by locals...i wish they would help to keep this city,and country cleaner and try to perserve what remaining beauty we have here,they are like children who think someone will clean up after them,and we should all try to aviod the plastic bag,try eating your watermelon like we did when we were kids or our papay just use your handswhen we go shopping take some plastic bags along,or better yet buy a cloth bag,i know the vendors are conditoined to use the plastic bag....,my other rant ( the plastic bag),another topic another day....

I don't understand why everybody are so negative here, before we seen the end result we can't really comment can we?

I think the plan is to ad a lot of sand to the eroded beach line, so the beach will be as wide as Jomtien's.

I am sure they gonna plant some big trees and I am looking forward to see the end result.

This resort started in the 60'es and have exploded into a major holiday resort so no wonder City planning is not easy, but at least they are trying.

The plan looks good but unfortunately many of us have seen several remodels of the area over the past 10+ years, none of which are properly finished and which fall into disrepair within a year or so and the next master plan comes along.

• Like 1

At least you can park your car or m/c on Jomtien beach road.

Even with the extra width for Beach road, Pattaya, it is only for moving traffic, not for people who want to go, park and visit the seaside - such as it is.

Those tourist coaches are a menace late on an evening. Sit in a beach road bar and watch the chaos.

Hell, they even removed that small parking lot near The Beer Garden so you can no longer ride your m/c down there, park up, have a meal and go home.

Whatever happened to common sense ... yes, strike that last bit.....

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the parking issues, it's such a pain to drive our truck, traffic is crawling even sometimes on weekdays (all over the City).

If we want to have a walk on beach road and we go in the truck, we park in Central or at Tops supermarket.

Jomtien Beach can too be hard to find parking spaces in the weekends.

Yet 4 wheeled vehicles keep growing in big numbers in Thailand every year, helped by the 100K bath rebate on 1st time car buyers.

I wonder how it all looks in 10years timesad.png

I don't disagree with the parking issues, it's such a pain to drive our truck, traffic is crawling even sometimes on weekdays (all over the City).

If we want to have a walk on beach road and we go in the truck, we park in Central or at Tops supermarket.

Jomtien Beach can too be hard to find parking spaces in the weekends.

Yet 4 wheeled vehicles keep growing in big numbers in Thailand every year, helped by the 100K bath rebate on 1st time car buyers.

I wonder how it all looks in 10years timesad.png

I too have noticed a big increase in car and truck traffic in Pattaya the last couple of months and have taken more to the m/c to get out and about.

At least I can park that even at busy times when we go to Jomtien beach road.

Good point that you make there..... Yes, there is parking at some of the supermarkets, including Mikes shopping mall, but it would be nice at least to park a m/c on Pattaya beach road, like we used to for say, the Beer garden.

So much money being spent and so little improvement, sadly.

Even with the extra width for Beach road, Pattaya, it is only for moving traffic, not for people who want to go, park and visit the seaside - such as it is.

Those tourist coaches are a menace late on an evening. Sit in a beach road bar and watch the chaos.

Hell, they even removed that small parking lot near The Beer Garden so you can no longer ride your m/c down there, park up, have a meal and go home.

I live in Jomtien right off of Jomtien Beach road and beg to differ--I rarely drive my truck precisely because it is almost impossible to find a parking space on Jomtien Beach Road. If you do find one, chances are that Thais will park illegally behind you so that you can't leave! Jomtienski, in general, is only slightly better than Pattayastok in terms of parking. I never drive to Pattayastok because I have no desire to sit in a traffic jam and drive around and around and around and around trying to find a place to park. It is all going to get worse! What we are seeing is a collision between "people pollution" and "a development plan designed by idiots."

• Like 1

I live in Jomtien right off of Jomtien Beach road and beg to differ--I rarely drive my truck precisely because it is almost impossible to find a parking space on Jomtien Beach Road. If you do find one, chances are that Thais will park illegally behind you so that you can't leave! Jomtienski, in general, is only slightly better than Pattayastok in terms of parking. I never drive to Pattayastok because I have no desire to sit in a traffic jam and drive around and around and around and around trying to find a place to park. It is all going to get worse! What we are seeing is a collision between "people pollution" and "a development plan designed by idiots."

I can park on Jomtien just fine. Then going out at night I could park in central Pattaya just fine, just meters from Beach Road. And that's a pick-up truck. (I would normally take a baht bus, but when I take the Mrs. then it's better to drive.).

• Like 1

I can park on Jomtien just fine. Then going out at night I could park in central Pattaya just fine, just meters from Beach Road. And that's a pick-up truck. (I would normally take a baht bus, but when I take the Mrs. then it's better to drive.).

thank you for that,we have to remember we cant always park ''in front''of the venue we wish to attend,but if you know the lay of the land,parking is available...

Looks like even the shrine across from Soi 6 will be demolished soon.

attachicon.gifBRDES-06.jpg

they will send a few monks .cant a few chants...then ''flatten it''...is the sacred tree beside it that saddens me....as you know thats where the spirits really live...

thank you for that,we have to remember we cant always park ''in front''of the venue we wish to attend,but if you know the lay of the land,parking is available...

Yes, or even more: Decide where to go based on where you can park. ;) Found excellent little bars and restaurants that way.

Thanks for posting the vid ChangFai I had not seen what they are doing before

+1

I wish those of you who are in Pattaya kept us updated on this.... I was planning on coming to Pattaya next summer/autumn, but if the seaside promenade is gone, I'll be going elsewhere.

I gave the beach another walk today.

It seems the work has really slowed down...I would say there is a small chance they are giving this whole thing a 2nd thought,considering the massive undertaking involved here...But I just might just be dreaming.

If you really give some thought to what they are planning its a even more of a massive undertaking than it first appears.

Not only do all the trees have to be removed for the 3rd lane but also the fountains,Buddha house,cross walk lights,street lights,signs,electrical-above ground and under ground.Most of the promenade benches for sitting.

All of the promenade and all of the concrete blocks on the ground that are used for landscaping.

The ground between the promenade and the beach which for most of the beach raises and falls in a sand dune type fashion must be flattened to be level for a new promenade...

Any trees not taken out by the new 3rd lane will have to be taken out for the new promenade also any new benches for sitting will have to take out even more of the few remaining trees.End result a promenade very few trees.

If they have all of this exposed ground and we ever get one of Pattaya massive flash floods...Holly God Pattaya will end up with the mother of all destructive messes on their hands...

So what would the end result of this project be? Lets cut out the aesthetics and beauty part.

The things I can see are...

1.The big tour buses will have a easier time making a left hand turn onto the small Sois...
2.The new 3rd lane does not look big enough for parking (but I could be wrong) but would work great for a quick tour bus pick up from the beach.
3.Traffic will be alot worse on the south end of beach road with 3 lanes having to merge into 2 at walking street.
4.The smaller promenade will not stop the beach road freelancers but will cause them to be a bit more spread out.
5.Its going to be hotter than hell to hang out on the beach road promenade during the day with no shade..

So the big winner will be the big tour buses....
The losers will be every one else in Pattaya...

Edited by fforest1

I gave the beach another walk today.

It seems the work has really slowed down...I would say there is a small chance they are giving this whole thing a 2nd thought,considering the massive undertaking involved here...But I just might just be dreaming.

Plan was always to do it in stages.

And with Songkran upon us, I guess there will be a break for a couple of weeks.

@ChangFai

thanks for the photo update. It helps those of us not there have an idea of what's going on. From various pics I've seen, I sometimes wonder how the surface remains stable with all the caverns and underground mish mash.

Edited by watcharacters

Oh ,goody ,more room to park motorcycles and double park coaches.

The new lane will be for tourist buses, so tourists don't have to cross the road.

I think you also know that there are designated baht bus parking spaces all over Pattaya.

But my experience is that the baht buses park everywhere but those marked parking spaces.I have such a feeling a similar thing will happen with the tourist bus lane.

I barely set foot near beach road, the beach is dirty, you'd have to pay me to swim in the water and the beach chairs are a rip off anyways.. They can make it a 5 lane highway I couldn't care less as long as it keeps the tour buses away from buhakao-3rd road area and the gogos on WS stay open :)

I barely set foot near beach road, the beach is dirty, you'd have to pay me to swim in the water and the beach chairs are a rip off anyways.. They can make it a 5 lane highway I couldn't care less as long as it keeps the tour buses away from buhakao-3rd road area and the gogos on WS stay open smile.png

Large Tour buses seem to be a fixture on BuaKhao, now the Indians tour groups are using Sawasdee.

One night, a bus is going to snag on the spaghetti of wiring and pull the whole lot down.

At first I thought it would make sense to let the tour busses stop on the beach side to let their loads of Chinese get to their speed boats.

But Tour busses have their doors on their left, so the future Chinese masses will jump off the bus right into the through beach road traffic. Maybe more accident prone than the current situation.

they need to try things in reverse for a change......

Could be a good idea, beach road one way south to north, 2nd road one way north to south, that way tour buses could drop the groups off on the beach side rather than have them walk across the road

Why don't they simply prohibit parking in the left lane like they did last week during the music festival and create some dedicated parking areas for the buses to pick up tour groups ?

Thou jest. Banning parking would be doing something sensible, lol.

Unless they remove the trees, how can they widen the road anyway? It's all built up along the land side.

IMO, they need to build a two way ( 4 lanes ) road on the seaward side of the trees, with a large parking area on the beach side. It should run all the way past Bali Hi to connect with the big road there. The land the road runs on at present is all reclaimed, so it would be nothing new.

The present road would then become a permanent walkway, and area to put stalls on in the evening.

If they do nothing, as is probable, the situation will only become worse, till it becomes impossible.

I don't understand why everybody are so negative here, before we seen the end result we can't really comment can we?

I think the plan is to ad a lot of sand to the eroded beach line, so the beach will be as wide as Jomtien's.

I am sure they gonna plant some big trees and I am looking forward to see the end result.

This resort started in the 60'es and have exploded into a major holiday resort so no wonder City planning is not easy, but at least they are trying.

<at least they are trying.>cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Beach Road should be closed for traffic, broken up, and the beach widened. 2nd road is never more than a couple of hundreds of metres away. What a stupid idea it is to have heavy traffic directly at a beach full with holidaymakers. Excusable in a spa at the Riviera that's been around for 2,000 years; and even there a travesty like this is rare, but not in a test-tube city 50 years old. I'm happy to leave this place soon, everything is so fekking stupid.

Ehm. It's a beach side boulevard. I love those. Jomtien too.

For comparison, you seem to want a layout like Samui. An island that claims to have responsible development, no tall buildings, etc.

This is their 'beach road', in Chaweng. Yes, that's nearest to the beach; a claustrophobic kind of Pattaya Second Road.

attachicon.gifChaweng.jpg

Thank God for Pattaya having a lot more sense.

(See what I did there... I used 'Pattaya' and 'sense' in the same line. Score. wink.png )

Yes you can argue about how many meters of beach there should be, how much walking space and how much road space. Personally I thought it was just fine the way it was. Because if you allow in more traffic (either road widening OR clearing up the rental bikes and road-side parking) then you immediately attract MORE cars, because of the congestion on Third Road; Beach Road immediately becomes more attractive, so vehicles WILL fill it up.

I'm already tempted to use Beach Road when going South. The main reason for using Third Road for me is so my wife doesn't see fully how many bars there really are in town. smile.png But it's terribly slow.

< congestion on Third Road >

I was there when they built 3rd Rd and thought at the time that it was short sighted to only make a two lane rd, and I have been proven right. At that time it only had open land on either side and could have been as wide as they wanted.

"They" really don't have a clue!

• Like 1