Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

i would compromise here in this situation,they (the busses) get beach road,and they can drive, park, and run amuk,but....we get our little soi's back,free from any buses....only local traffic allowed..i was haveing a beer on soi4 just off beach rd last night and as usual all the bus traffic ,using soi 4 as a short cut ,to avoid the dolphiin round about,and after each tiffany show ends.. as each bus past i feel a thump.so we inspected the road..what is happening now,is the weight from these coaches is now cracking the road,the cracks are deep and run the length of the entire soi...and the entire width of the concrete,so in a few mnths when the rains come,all these sois that see bus traffic will beginn to decay..and in 2 years they will be like liitle dirt trails,well the good thing is when they are dirt and filled with pot holes ..the buses will avoid them...

Edited by Rimmer
Oversize fonts

Another post removed, please take note of the following rules:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

They just don't get traffic, traffic control & movements & parking requirements.

Widen Beach Road so it then stacks up at the WS corner & 2nd Road lights.

i thought the word was that all the bars between Beach Road & 2nd Road were being replaced with family friendly entertainment areas.

How will the traffic cope with all these extra people, at least bar mongers walk or Songtheaw it everywhere.

i don't have an answer, that's coz I am not as smart as Pattaya City Officers....

More reasons to look elsewhere for a more relaxed environment to live

..pictured here during a 7 hour debate regarding how to divide this months banana money

attachicon.gifGood Idea Bozo.jpg

Haha-love it made my day

At first I thought it would make sense to let the tour busses stop on the beach side to let their loads of Chinese get to their speed boats.

But Tour busses have their doors on their left, so the future Chinese masses will jump off the bus right into the through beach road traffic. Maybe more accident prone than the current situation.

wow now we can refit all the buses with new doors.....$$$$

< congestion on Third Road >

I was there when they built 3rd Rd and thought at the time that it was short sighted to only make a two lane rd, and I have been proven right. At that time it only had open land on either side and could have been as wide as they wanted.

"They" really don't have a clue!

I think it dawned on them pretty late that Pattaya was going to be a BIG city. One of the biggest in the country, after Bangkok.

Currently Pattaya is probably up there in the top 3 of biggest cities outside of Bangkok. (Subject to what anyone would want to define as being 'Pattaya', and if you count some of the provinces surrounding Bangkok as distinct places in a top-10, or just part of the greater Bangkok area.)

For cities that were always regarded as cities that required big-city planning, a lot more attention went to the road network. That's why Chiang Mai has three ring roads, two of them that are 6 lanes with tunnels under all intersections, and an outer one that's currently 2 lanes but made wide enough to become 6 or 8 lanes when deemed necessary.

That needs to happen in Pattaya too; all major intersections on Sukhumvit need tunnels and/or flyovers. It's indeed too bad about third road, but given that it can't be made wide enough in most places, the one-way system in the central part will need to be extended to Third Road, and stretches of South and Central Pattaya roads. And Soi Bua Khao of course, that soi is completely nuts with busy two-way traffic. It's actually downright entertaining to watch, (but a horror to drive through).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I was there when they built 3rd Rd and thought at the time that it was short sighted to only make a two lane rd, and I have been proven right. At that time it only had open land on either side and could have been as wide as they wanted.

I think it dawned on them pretty late that Pattaya was going to be a BIG city. One of the biggest in the country, after Bangkok.

Currently Pattaya is probably up there in the top 3 of biggest cities outside of Bangkok. (Subject to what anyone would want to define as being 'Pattaya', and if you count some of the provinces surrounding Bangkok as distinct places in a top-10, or just part of the greater Bangkok area.)

For cities that were always regarded as cities that required big-city planning, a lot more attention went to the road network. That's why Chiang Mai has three ring roads, two of them that are 6 lanes with tunnels under all intersections, and an outer one that's currently 2 lanes but made wide enough to become 6 or 8 lanes when deemed necessary.

That needs to happen in Pattaya too; all major intersections on Sukhumvit need tunnels and/or flyovers. It's indeed too bad about third road, but given that it can't be made wide enough in most places, the one-way system in the central part will need to be extended to Third Road, and stretches of South and Central Pattaya roads. And Soi Bua Khao of course, that soi is completely nuts with busy two-way traffic. It's actually downright entertaining to watch, (but a horror to drive through).

At present, there is enough vacant land between Buakhao and 2nd to build a 4 lane road, but I can absolutely GUARANTEE, that it won't happen.

They can afford to put pedestrian traffic lights all over the place, but won't put lights at either end of Buakhao where they are really needed.

Pattaya is not a very large city...Chiang Mai, Khon Keon, Korat, Chonburi City, Hat Yai, (and maybe more) are way bigger in terms of both area and population. Pattaya is just a smallish beach resort town that is very congested (like many resort towns worldwide as everyone wants to eat/sleep/party near the beach). I can only see traffic congestion getting worse over the next decade due to planned growth in shopping and condos and little in terms of new road surface.

yes today they destroyed a 100 year old tree that yesterday we used to hide behind while water fighting,as we knew it would be gone soon..another day in paradise...i havnt seeen any good news in weeks...bombings ,africans using thailand to and thai woman to sell drugs,officials involved in elephant deaths,longer hours for bars,widening of beach road....well songkran is over that one good thing

Pattaya is not a very large city...Chiang Mai, Khon Keon, Korat, Chonburi City, Hat Yai, (and maybe more) are way bigger in terms of both area and population. Pattaya is just a smallish beach resort town that is very congested (like many resort towns worldwide as everyone wants to eat/sleep/party near the beach). I can only see traffic congestion getting worse over the next decade due to planned growth in shopping and condos and little in terms of new road surface.

I'd say the greater Pattaya area is bigger than Khon Kaen especially, and perhaps Khorat and Had Yai as well. Official population stats only record people who are on a house registration document, not migrants. So you have to look at other indicators, such as the number of registered vehicles, number of hypermarkets (those companies do their research before chucking down multiple superstores), etc.

It may depend on what anyone's definition of 'Pattaya' is; for me that's a lot larger than just the immediate Pattaya bay area.

If the City officials really wanted to relieve traffic congestion, why would they rent out the entire right lane to vendors tents during the peak weekends?

Can we be honest about why the trees and beach are being ripped out?

They are merely creating more commercial (beach front)space to rent.

Lets face it. They rent the entire beach to chair vendors(even though law states 50% is for tourists to play).

The new paved lane leads nowhere so what are they really up to?

• Like 1

The land is probably owned by private individuals? Buying it up would cost an astronomical amount of money in that case.

Yes, it would cost, but not doing anything will cost more in the long run, as Buakhao goes into gridlock, and people stop staying in hotel rooms on it etc etc.

BTW, there is plenty of public money in Pattaya, but we know where it goes!

If the City officials really wanted to relieve traffic congestion, why would they rent out the entire right lane to vendors tents during the peak weekends?

Lets face it. They rent the entire beach to chair vendors(even though law states 50% is for tourists to play).

It's just like when they closed the public park in front of Bali Hai to make money from a building.

Pattaya city officials only have one thing on their mind, and it's not the public good.

• Like 2

this is a plan to help the tour buses move thier tourists easier,to rid beach rd of the working woman,and the camping on the boulevard,assist in revenue from festivals as in setting up of more tents..on and on.this is about revenue and a chance to award to majour contract to a familly member..the ''bottle neck still exists'...and i hope they have figured that out,no one is that stupid...

as i watched pattaya mail last night ,the bit about the thief who robbed the wat at soi 6 adn beach rd then desecrated it with urine all on video,a thought jumped into my head ...i have been wondering how they will tear down that wat as the widening approaches the'' said wat''....could it be ,will it be...just curious,as i watch minute be minute this unfolding destruction of beach rd....

Or past the pier where the boat/jet ski people park.

That public land has been turned into a toxic fuel/oil dump/junkyard site.

or the building they are building right behind it which will forever block the view from the lookout

what they dont seem to comprehend is that its the traffic getting off beach road at the second road intersection that causes the traffic coming from jomtiem to be slowed to a crawl most of the time, and they are going to make it worse

• Like 1

as i watched pattaya mail last night ,the bit about the thief who robbed the wat at soi 6 adn beach rd then desecrated it with urine all on video,a thought jumped into my head ...i have been wondering how they will tear down that wat as the widening approaches the'' said wat''....could it be ,will it be...just curious,as i watch minute be minute this unfolding destruction of beach rd....

You mean the shrine, right? A wat is a temple (monastery, rather) with several different buildings and structures for religious functions, as well as accommodation for monks residing at the wat. The structure on Beach Road near soi 6 is a shrine.

Sad that it is not in the "Thai character" to complain about this "ting-tong" decision by City Hall... BUT after living (and working)here I realize the ones that have businesses (or well educated) will not question/ protest against this depressing decision since their business or career can be threatened by the "big boys" in city hall. The ones with influence all have their eye on making the big bucks with their businesses (hotels/condos/ restaurants) in Pattaya so they will NOT say anything. Meanwhile we "farangs" can complain all we want but this will not mean anything to the mayor or the city council. I personally wish they knew what the community thinks of their decision to make the Beach Road promendate (walkway) more narrow and reduce it to nothing but an ugly, ribbon of ugliness (according to the architect's drawings). "Thank you" city hall for making your prime tourist attraction into NOTHING.

• Like 1

correct me if i am wrong,but it used to be easy living here with the stupidity it was harmless and sometimes amusing,but now this advanced stupidity has become almost unbearable,dangerous,costly and now affects my life my home my dailyroutines and my investment,i dont want to move again i have just slettled here and i was calling pattaya nua my retirement home,and i was happy,i live with the noise,jackhammers and grinders is ok,,as i always hope this means an improvment,im from an area back west, infested with drugs crime and gangs,i can live with that too,but slowly day by day these,stupid descion ,one after another they have forced me to re-evaluate my future,and pattaya's future...i just cant get my head around this beach widening,i cant live in a city that cares more about tour buses more than the residence that live here..yes i know ''suck it up''. i cant..i just came from a run on the beach...they will have solved the ''soi13 and beach rd sex trade problem''..at the cost of our beach....made in thailand and yes''mai pen rai''

correct me if i am wrong,but it used to be easy living here with the stupidity it was harmless and sometimes amusing,but now this advanced stupidity has become almost unbearable,dangerous,costly and now affects my life my home my dailyroutines and my investment,i dont want to move again i have just slettled here and i was calling pattaya nua my retirement home,and i was happy,i live with the noise,jackhammers and grinders is ok,,as i always hope this means an improvment,im from an area back west, infested with drugs crime and gangs,i can live with that too,but slowly day by day these,stupid descion ,one after another they have forced me to re-evaluate my future,and pattaya's future...i just cant get my head around this beach widening,i cant live in a city that cares more about tour buses more than the residence that live here..yes i know ''suck it up''. i cant..i just came from a run on the beach...they will have solved the ''soi13 and beach rd sex trade problem''..at the cost of our beach....made in thailand and yes''mai pen rai''

Somewhat of an overreaction no?

We haven't see the end results as yet. It might be nice.

Yes I know, but we can live in hope.

another thing they have failed to concider is that in the high season it will be impossible for pedestrans to get across a 4 lane highway, its difficult enough already, they will have to either build pedestrian overbridges or put in policed pedestrian crossings, which will slow the traffic down so much that it wont be worth having the extra lane

Edited by wwex