Getting Older.. Who Is Gonna Look After You ?

rubberduck

Hello, I have a relative in Thai in his early sixties, and I do worry about his health in the coming decade. I doubt if his 20yo (...) girlfriend will be clever enough and take the responsibility to look after him when things 'getting serious'. And things can get quite complicated for a non-professional to handle and avoid things getting worse, imagine getting serious physical complications, alzheimer, insurance issues, visa issues, lack of funds for special medical needs etc. But he is like ignoring the idea and just doesn't care.

Did you in some way prepare for possibly loosing control when getting older e.g. by having a good social network, a caring wife who won't leave you when you need her most, can you move to an elderly care home and having the funds for this, or will you eventually go back to your home country to receive care, or just ignoring it and see how far you get ?

When there is no caring partner what are actually the options in Thailand ?

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When there is no caring partner what are actually the options in Thailand ? After he had his fun and GF has his money he will try to freeload off you or me I hate old white men I guess it will be you

Nursing home, care centre, call it what you like, another is to hire his own caregiver, and I dont mean some unqualified Issan field worker.

• Like 1

If the guy takes care of his gf and her family (at least her parents) with some luck they will take care of him later on. However if there's complications that require medical intervention (expensive operations etc.) and there's no money then he will be out of luck. Thailand is not a Western-style nanny state.

If it's likely there's not going to be enough money to take care of medical and care eventualities in future, it may be best best to research options of return to country of origin in due course. Assuming there are better options available there...

Edited by Plastic Brontosaurus
  • Like 2

Just like any other country the only person that you can count on to look after you is YOU. I am not a 30 well past that and have ensured by picking the right mate and looking after not only my finances but preparing her to look after hers and eventually ours that she will be able to assist me.

Financially remember that unless you can pass the Countries standards your solution will be to be sent back to where you came from.

Just as Thais should not have to have the government look after them in old age neither should we.

We should all be saving and preparing for that eventuality.

• Like 2

At 52, something I have given some thought to, I do have a home to return to in the UK, so I would think back to the UK. The age difference between, my wife and I is 12 years, she very caring, and stuck by me last year, in the UK when I had open heart surgery, Mitral valve repair. But you never know, what's around the corner, and life has it is up and downs.....ect ect

Just like any other country the only person that you can count on to look after you is YOU. I am not a 30 well past that and have ensured by picking the right mate and looking after not only my finances but preparing her to look after hers and eventually ours that she will be able to assist me.

Financially remember that unless you can pass the Countries standards your solution will be to be sent back to where you came from.

Just as Thais should not have to have the government look after them in old age neither should we.

We should all be saving and preparing for that eventuality.

Very true, but having your mate look after you and looking after yourself is a tad contradictory.

rich expats so tit seems,all have a home to go back to ... so what are you doing with that home ? renting ? no worries that the person who rents your house will stop paying.. in my home country, it is endemic, people who get into your house, never pay 1 baht of rent and the law protects THEM !!! takes you loads of money in court / lawyers and 2 years or more... that is why i sold mine in the first place, as i live here, have wife and kids ...

• Like 2

Same as in the U.S. Hope for some good samaritan to call the cops to pick up the body. Or, like the options in the American health care system:

1. Don't get sick.

2 If you do get sick, die quickly.

If there is no loving partner and you don't have Thai kids and grandkids, the answer is: Nobody.

• Like 1

Saving now for Hospital to take care of me since all the Married men I have known that depended on the wife to take care this Never happened.....

Sorry to hear that. You know the wrong people. I know a bunch of retired U.S. Army guys who had Thai wives who took care of them to the end, but of course you need to have that money for the hospital for them to use in taking care of you.

I was born in one live and work in one and now retired in Thailand, this very common these days

What would be any different in home country. Getting old is a problem everyone need to be in control and plan for.

Hopefully my children and grandchildren.

What else can ex Pats do? They can't get insurance over the age of sixty, younger ex Pats who have insurance will have to accept that their premiums will go up and up after they get to sixty. British OAPs get their annual pension increases stolen from them by a thieving British government. Me? if I have to, I will just go back to the UK and they can care for me. If I can't travel, I'll worry about that if the time comes.