Safety Rules With Equipment

Too late to edit. I think I read comments on here about not carrying a load high in a loader. A turn could easily tip you over. Same goes for running side hill. I do think everyone knows this, but hey, it's a list.

Good Sir

Its great to see Safety mentioned in this Forum we can risk assess until the cows come & install every safety device known to man but our biggest problem is US.. the human being & that thought we all have from time to time ''it will never happen to me'' which is true not until the day it does.

I could bore you to death with case history of Farming Accidents & incidents from the UK some in my own family. But guys & girls please take your time check what you need don't take short cuts & every day you climb in the tractor think why your doing it...For your family they need you & you need them place a picture of your loved ones one the dash just so you know they are watching.

Happy farming to all of you have a great day (its a nice day for it)

John B-P.. International Safety Advisor

In my experience, per working hour professionals are less likely to respect common sense rules (well I'm talking about chain saw work but same same) than an anxious amateur. These are the ones that have accidents, due to lackadaisicality. I used to have to go on a refresher course for chain saw usage every two years, including CPR, rescue out of trees, all that stuff.

No harm in reminding people now and again.

In my experience, per working hour professionals are less likely to respect common sense rules (well I'm talking about chain saw work but same same) than an anxious amateur. These are the ones that have accidents, due to lackadaisicality. I used to have to go on a refresher course for chain saw usage every two years, including CPR, rescue out of trees, all that stuff.

No harm in reminding people now and again.

Hey, I agree completely about the getting too familiar part. My concern came up by reading about people buying farm equipment when they hadn't operated it before. How would they know where the most likely dangers are to be careful of?

You and I both know that if you touch the end of your running chain saw to a log, it can flip up and cut your skull open. We also know what a widow maker is. We know that when you cut a limb off a fallen tree, the saw can drop down and nearly cut your leg off.

But you wouldn't turn someone loose with a new chain saw, if he'd never been around one, without explaining some of those things.

• Like 1

Those who have chipper shreaders, be weary, mine is PTO driven, no guards, nor have the drive belts, good bit of kit but I am allways very weary.

I know of 2 farmers who have lost fingers to shreaders, the worse case a Thai contractor making maize silage, some how lost an arm allmost up to the elbow . I still see him driving his pick- up how, I do not know , another Thai I knew flipped his tractor, died.

Thanks to the OP for bringing up this subject ,in the UK it was, probable still is, farming and construction that has the greatest number of fatalities, as an industry, over here don`t think about it.

Yours Reg

KS

• Like 1

Those who have chipper shreaders, be weary, mine is PTO driven, no guards, nor have the drive belts, good bit of kit but I am allways very weary.

I know of 2 farmers who have lost fingers to shreaders, the worse case a Thai contractor making maize silage, some how lost an arm allmost up to the elbow . I still see him driving his pick- up how, I do not know , another Thai I knew flipped his tractor, died.

Thanks to the OP for bringing up this subject ,in the UK it was, probable still is, farming and construction that has the greatest number of fatalities, as an industry, over here don`t think about it.

Yours Reg

KS

Personally growing up with a lot of equipment that was operated by a PTO, and the number of seriously injured as well as death, I would not even use or allow use of a PTO driven equipment that didn't have guards. I have had people come to do things for us who ignore safety entirely. They are gone.

• Like 1

Just a few examples'I have seen/followed etc

Tractor tilted or came over on uphill climb 4 fatilities

Pto caught colthing then body 5 bad injury, 1 death

fell off of tractor in brushhog, oneway, plow 3 fatilities

caught foot, hand in grain auger 6 come to mind, all involved loss of limb

rolling up barbed wire with pickup wheel while jacked up 1 fatility

ATV roll over, too many to count/rember 2fatilities, numerous injury

Chain saw kicked back 2 serious injury

Jump starting a vehicle while in gear, 1 fatility, 2 serious injury

horse fell on rider, 2 fatility, numerous injury

Carbon monoxide poisoning, electricuted,drowned, backing a vehicle over someone,etc4 fatilities

Statistics indicate you were safer assulting the beach on D Day than working on a farm for a lifetime.

• Like 1

I am amazed there aren't more tractor injuries around here. Some of the locals operate so recklessly. I have only had fright on my tractor when I put a rear wheel into a sink hole (tree had been removed) when ploughing and it lurched over at 45 degrees. I was amazed at how fast it tilted over. I walk any land I work first to check for rocks and logs etc, but missed that sour patch. I have never seen a Thai actually walk around first.

The only tractor accident I have witnessed near here was a guy towing an overloaded trailer up the slope from rice paddy to the road and it reared up. Damage to gear but luckily only bruises and scratches to the operator.

There have been two new tractors turn up here and the training seems to be how to grade and how to engage the plough. Neither were shown how to change implements and the rotary hoes are still where the truck delivered them. Setting up the three point hitch or the PTO wasn't even talked about.

One thing I see consistently is welding without any eye protection. Another is using the wrong cutting discs on drop saws and grinders. Like so many things here, if it fits, it must work! Lets try it anyway...

I have a friend who lost an eye simply by cutting fence wire with wire cutters. We call them side cutters, but they are like pliers with cutting edges. A sliver flew off the fence wire somehow and embedded in his eye. He got a lens replacement in his eye but it never was the same.

Safety was pounded into me, but it might have been my age and the worry of the adults. I was pulling a 20 foot (6 meter) wide plow with a bulldozer, driving a wheat combine and even a wheat dump truck when I was 12. When I was 14 I got a special farm permit to drive the dump trucks 30 miles (45 km) to the grain elevator on public rural roads. Dump trucks and combines and track layers are dangerous too.

I earned all of my spending money working for neighbors planting and harvesting wheat, and going out on horseback for checking and repairing fence lines and rounding up cattle.

We had about 6 square miles, which I think might be about 15 square km of land. ?? Half was a bit rocky and very hilly and perfect for grazing cattle, and about 1/2 was good dry land (no irrigated) farm land for wheat and alfalfa. I couldn't begin to say how many linear feet of fence that was, but I can tell you what it's like to plow and disc and plant 3 square miles (maybe 7 square km?) of land. Think 2 D8 bulldozers running staggered pulling 40 feet (12 meters?) of plow. for a few days.

I'm jealous of you guys.

I was talking about using the bucket as a third leg out front to keep from tipping an excavator over. That's both on and off a trailer, too. Here's a decent quick demo.

And another.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Now, haha, the best equipment operator I've ever known told me that if you haven't tipped a piece of equipment over, you never learn its limits.

I think I mentioned that my current place is dangerously steep.

Here's mine. Yes, mine. (Before I sold it not long ago) biggrin.png

DSC00177a.jpg

http--,,--//bobcathouse.jpg

bobcatsmall.jpg

Edited by NeverSure