Must I Use My Local Amphur Office To Register My Marriage?

Firstly, I would like to thank all the members here who have helped me in the past. I thought I had everything covered, but another googly has been delivered....and yet again I reach out to those wise and helpful members to hopefully put my mind at ease.

I am applying for extension of stay based on marriage.

The only hurdle I have now is the form Khor Ror 2, Certificate of marriage.

I went to the Australian Embassy to get a certified copy of my marriage certificate (920 Baht), we were married in Oz over 8 years ago.....no problems.

Next got that translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry in BKK (1,300 Baht)......no problems (lots of pretty green and red stamps all over the paperwork).

Next, go to our local Amphur and explain that I need to have our marriage registered so that I can apply for Extension of stay......rabbit in the headlights stare back at me.

I showed them a copy of a friend's Khor Ror2 but they still had no idea.

With that, they took all my other paperwork and then had the hide to tell us (the wife and I ) that they weren't sure that my translated, multi coloured stamped official piece of paper ie marriage certificate was real, and they have to send it to BKK to verify it's authenticity.......<deleted>!!

Now with Songkran around the corner, I am getting a tad anxious as I only have until 12th May before I have to leave the country and blow my chance for extension of stay. I know I have 30 days to submit the paperwork, but if my local Amphur keeps stalling, I don't like where it all may end up.

So my question is.....can I register our marriage and get a Khor Ror 2 form at any Amphur Office.....preferably one that is used to handling this type of request....or am I stuck with my local one?

Note: I live out in the sticks about 180km from BKK...so it is always a hassle to go there. I am in the province of Ratchaburi if that is any help, and my local Amphur with the rabbits is Ban Kar.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Edited by Rsquared

Ah yes, you spotted my deliberate mistake, it is KR22 that I require.....just in a huff typing it out, sorry.

You say any District Office....do I take that as anywhere in the Kingdom, and if so can anyone recommend one that is familiar with this request.

Cheers.

I am obviously wrong here, but i tought really that the thaipartner had to be registred as living within the borders of the amphue you are using to confirm your marriage....

Seems strange really to be able to run all around the country and be registred without any problem....

But good to know for the future what counts here....

Glegolo

Just had a phone call from a mate.....his wife said that because my wife's blue house book is registered at our local office and it is used as part of the process, then I am restricted to use that office only.

Looks like back to the rabbits and wait for them to confirm that my paperwork is real.

Cheers.

You might try making an enquiry at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. They do marriages and divorces and verify translations. The chances are that the know much more about registering your Australian marriage than any local Amphur where such an issue has probably never been encountered before.

Another option, given your lack of time, might be to get advice and help from an agent.

• Like 1

Your marriage is not registered at the Thai Foreign Ministry, as has been said at the consular department they only legalize the documents as true. That is a requirement to register the marriage in Thailand at the amphur. Not until that is done is your marriage registered in Thailand.

(For two foreigners being married, immigration will accept only the legalization for a marriage abroad, but for a marriage abroad between a foreigner and a Thai national immigration wants a khor rhor 22 form and for that you need to register the marriage at the amphur).

• Like 1

Your marriage is not registered at the Thai Foreign Ministry, as has been said at the consular department they only legalize the documents as true. That is a requirement to register the marriage in Thailand at the amphur. Not until that is done is your marriage registered in Thailand.

(For two foreigners being married, immigration will accept only the legalization for a marriage abroad, but for a marriage abroad between a foreigner and a Thai national immigration wants a khor rhor 22 form and for that you need to register the marriage at the amphur).

Yes it is. I was there at the time! We got the marriage certificate and the validation document. The Immigration Office has accepted them for my extension application.

Only an amphur can issue a marriage certificate.

Why do you persist with this when I've said that we were married at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? We have the certificate and verification document, handed to us there.

As I have also said, this is not relevant to the OP so please let it go.

I can assure you that with the documents you have, you can register your marriage at any Amphuer in Thailand. Years ago, I did register my marriage in an Amphuer in Bangkok, although I lived up north, It took us about 10 minutes!

As a few people have said, you can register your marriage at any district office.

As a recent example: my wife is registered in Sathorn district, lives in Bang Bon district and we registered our marriage in Patum Wan district...

FWIW I would advise against registering it at the Patum Wan District Office, "fees without receipts" and such...

Sathorn District office did a great job in registering my marriage after my wife and I had an argument with the head of registrations at Phyathai District office because he came out with all kinds of bullshit, including claiming my Alien Book (being a permanent resident) must be fake because only Chinese foreigners were entitled to them ((edit)). So you can see there are tremendous differences between the quality and knowledge levels at different district offices, even in Bangkok. You can go to any district office. Neither of us are registered in Sathorn.

Edited by lopburi3
language

The link on the MFA website to "Register a marriage" seems to be down. But that does not change the fact that

in Thailand , the civil registrars (Amphur Office) manage records of births, marriages, and deaths. MFA issues verifications (legalization) of documents such as foreign marriage certificates, but can not "register the marriage."

Thanks for all the responses members.......I am getting the notion that the majority are leaning towards "yes I can register my marriage at ANY Amphur office."

Chang Mai is a fair bit out of my way, but since everything is now closed for Songkran, I still have to wait until they open again. Will give my local Amphur one last chance, then will need to look further afield.

Cheers.

Try your local Amphoe again. If you are living where their is village head have your wife contact them and take them along. They can often help get things sorted out at the Amphoe.

Be sure and point out that the MFA has already seen the marriage certificate and certified it's translation.

They might be looking for some unofficial fees to get it done but it probably would be cheaper to pay them than making a trip somewhere else to get it done.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

From everything I've ever read and researched, two people getting married INSIDE Thailand should be able to register at ANY Amphur office, regardless of where the prospective husband and wife may live or where the wife's tabien ban is registered.

However, I can't speak to whether that same circumstance applies to two people who've already been married OUTSIDE Thailand and then wanting to register their already existing marriage here inside Thailand.

It sounds like there are two different forms involved. So perhaps the procedures relating to amphur location may not be the same. I have no experience in the latter (marriage outside Thailand) scenario.