Volunteer Work On Government Schools? Who Really Know?

Hello people,

Because I'm doing nothing, I would like to do some volunteer work. Let's say 25 hours/week. I live in Thailand for several years, so I have seen that the kids can use some help. If I want to do this, it would be nice when it can be done the legal way.

Who knows the traject to walk?

I have read things like:

- workpermit

- contract volunteer organisation ( what's in it)

- police rapport (if your not a criminal or something)

- non-immigrand O visa (90 days with extention for a year)

- visa application outside Thailand

But....

- how much does this all cost?

- where to go? (any immigration office will do?)

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

step 1 is to find an organization where you want to volunteer for and step 2 together with them apply for a work permit

If you want you can apply for an extension of stay based on your volunteer work (Organization must be a registered charity)

Talk first with the labour office and immigration, they can be very helpful and give you some tips on how to proceed once you have found volunteer work. A lot of organizations simply don't know how to proceed.

A criminal background check is normally not needed.

The work permit costs 3,100 baht per year, and the extension of stay from immigration is the usual 1,900 baht. Add a few hundred baht for passport size photo's, photo copies and a health check and for around 5,500 baht you should be done for a whole year.

There is no criminal background check, unless the organization wants one.

Your education documents will also be required PLUS a Thai Teachers Licence, Immigration and Labour Department can't help without this! However if a school supports you the Teacher Council of Thailand will issue you with a 2 year exemption document (allowing you time to sit the 4 required examinations. THE exemption document will be accepted by both depantments

step 1 is to find an organization where you want to volunteer for and step 2 together with them apply for a work permit

If you want you can apply for an extension of stay based on your volunteer work (Organization must be a registered charity)

Talk first with the labour office and immigration, they can be very helpful and give you some tips on how to proceed once you have found volunteer work. A lot of organizations simply don't know how to proceed.

A criminal background check is normally not needed.

The work permit costs 3,100 baht per year, and the extension of stay from immigration is the usual 1,900 baht. Add a few hundred baht for passport size photo's, photo copies and a health check and for around 5,500 baht you should be done for a whole year.

There is no criminal background check, unless the organization wants one.

Seems like a lot just to volunteer to help kids who badly need help - all Thai kids.

What is amazing, is that there are thousands of retired foreigners who would volunteer if Thai law allowed it.

Your education documents will also be required PLUS a Thai Teachers Licence, Immigration and Labour Department can't help without this! However if a school supports you the Teacher Council of Thailand will issue you with a 2 year exemption document (allowing you time to sit the 4 required examinations. THE exemption document will be accepted by both depantments

Examinations for a volunteer, certainly you are joking.

• Like 2

As said, a volunteer teacher is exempt from the teaching license requirements. There is even no need for a waiver anymore for volunteers.

• Like 2

Good point Terry - I also checked with the Teachers Council who informed me under the education rules ALL teachers have to be vetted and licenced, the problem is that some so called places of education ignore this rule and employ without WP or Visa to stop this happening Labour and Immigration offices will now ask for Teachers Council documents. If you have any doubt about this contact Krewsapa (Teachers Council) in Bangkok and get the same answer I got! If you wish to volunteer it may also be useful to have a suitable educational background and if you think that not necessary then what about volunteer doctors/dentists/engineers/train drivers, ALL without training?

BrianCR, refer to the Teachers forum and query volunteer. You will find the notice from TCT (in Thai) that states volunteers are exempt from many of the TCT requirements including a Teacher's License. The Labor office may well find that ones background and eduction are not suitable for a WP to volunteer at particular school, but that is quit different from requiring a TCT Teachers license. For instance, while I have several graduate degrees and many years of experience teaching adults in my chosen field of work, the Labor office would likely determine that since I have no experience teaching children my background would not benefit the school or kids and therefore no WP. They would likely issue (and have) a work permit to volunteer teach in a Vocational College and/or University. Most volunteers are merely classroom assistants under the direction of a full time teacher and do not manage the classroom or develop teaching plans, etc. The main requirement is Native English Speaker. The problems usually arise when the school/organization will not support a WP by providing adequate documentation.

• Like 1

As a teacher here I just got to say one thing "why" The teachers (Thai) here will just smile think you are some sort of nut job and use you to promote themselves. If you are happy to pay good money out to do this OK. If you really want to help just go out and teach if you can. Plenty of minority groups who will take advantage of your kind offer, use the cash you would of lined the wasters pockets with, to buy books and teaching materials. Good luck. One more thing, remember you are donating your time and money not working. Edited by a99az
  • Like 2

"What is amazing, is that there are thousands of retired foreigners who would volunteer if Thai law allowed it."

Thai law does allow it.

Does your country allow unvetted 'retired foreigners' to work with young school aged students?

Yes, simply being a foreigner is hardly a qualification.

I would assume, depending on what it is he feels qualified to do, that some facility in the Thai language or English or possibly another regional language would be important.

Claiming he wants to "help" is rather vague. I think the first order of business would be to decide what he would be bringing to the table.

I'm quite sure the OP is well-motivated and earnest in his/her wish to help out, but let's be blunt, there are people staying in Thailand who may not be well suited to "working with" children (and unfortunately some of them are supposedly qualified foreign teachers).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Depends greatly on where you live. DO NOT pay to volunteer. I just finished a 5-month stint teaching English at a Thai government school in Chiang Mai Province under the auspices of www.childsdream.org. I also worked for a year for a Thai-Burmese NGO in Phang Nga Province, www.ghre.org.

There are opportunities galore for those looking for them.

No work permits, no hassle, lots of challenge.

Edited by seligne
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how the travel companies get away with sending groups of volunteers for weeks/months on placement here? Surely they don't all have work permits.

No they don't have WP or non-Imm B visa, in fact they are paying a non-mainstream (educational place?) to unlawfully teach in Thailand for 2/4 weeks and in fact, as many of these places are not fully registered they would be unable to get a TTL even if they wanted one as the first application has to be supported by a licenced/registered school! Edited by BrianCR

He not working. He's volunteering. The Teacher's license would be a moot point along with a Bachelor degee. He's offering to 'chat' as a Native English Speaker -- not teach in the formal sense.

Here's info on the work permits which you will need to volunteer legally: http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/eng/index.html

My suggestion is to really get a grip on the WP process. Draw up a summary of the skills sets you can offer the school (consider teaching the teachers instead of just the kids). Educate the school's administration on the work permit requirements and processes. Go to the MoL site and print out the requirement in Thai and English, and give them the Thai copy. Agree to teach in return for the school assisting you in obtaining the work permit and pay for it yourself -- you are then under no contractual obligation. Don't step a foot into a classroom with out the WP. If they want you bad enough, they'll cut a secretary loose long enough to accompany you to the MoL with the necessary paperwork and documentation (some of it's filled out by you, a lot of it needs to be filled out by the school and written in Thai. Offer them something they really want, but be firm about them working with you to get the WP before the first day of your volunteer work.

If the MoL give you a problem, talk to the head puyai and offer to volunteer to teach English to his staff under the same conditions. Assist in obtaining the proper WP and you'll teach his staff for free.

Treat this like a game. If they want you bad enough, you'll get the WP. If you're married to a Thai national, you can teach on your marriage visa.

as said, the teacher s Council has rules that exclude volunteers for the need of getting a teachers license or waiver.

The rules have been published in the teaching section.

next to that, the Teachers Council does not have authority over language schools or universities and some other school types. As a consequence also for these schools no license is required.

"What is amazing, is that there are thousands of retired foreigners who would volunteer if Thai law allowed it."

Thai law does allow it.

Does your country allow unvetted 'retired foreigners' to work with young school aged students?

I would assume, depending on what it is he feels qualified to do, that some facility in the Thai language or English or possibly another regional language would be important.

Claiming he wants to "help" is rather vague. I think the first order of business would be to decide what he would be bringing to the table.

I'm quite sure the OP is well-motivated and earnest in his/her wish to help out, but let's be blunt, there are people staying in Thailand who may not be well suited to "working with" children (and unfortunately some of them are supposedly qualified foreign teachers).

In my country the Teacher's unions would go on strike, they know wages could be held down

by people doing it for free.

If the country requires its teachers to have a specific standard why should the volunteer be given a free pass. If I was to volunteer as a medical worker, I think it would be expected of me to have some

training and experience.

I not aware of any Thai people volunteering to teach for free, maybe it has something to do with the

Thai teacher's union having an issue with non-paid volunteers.

Thai law does allow it.

I've taught Computer Engineering, English, and snow sports (mostly to young children). I have at least 12 year of teaching experience, and trust me, it's still a pain in the butt to attempt to do something as charitable as teaching for free here in Thailand. And vetting a 'retired foreigner' -- it's called a background check. Even an NES without teaching experience can do a lot of good in rural government schools.

Depends greatly on where you live. DO NOT pay to volunteer. I just finished a 5-month stint teaching English at a Thai government school in Chiang Mai Province under the auspices of www.childsdream.org. I also worked for a year for a Thai-Burmese NGO in Phang Nga Province, www.ghre.org.

There are opportunities galore for those looking for them.

No work permits, no hassle, lots of challenge.

And if you're volunteering in Thailand then the NGO is breaking the law just like you by not providing you with a WP. However, like I said in the previous post, how do the NGOs get away with it -- political connections and tea money. Or they just ignore the law.

Thai law does allow it.

In my country the Teacher's unions would go on strike, they know wages could be held down

If the country requires its teachers to have a specific standard why should the volunteer be given a free pass. If I was to volunteer as a medical worker, I think it would be expected of me to have some

training and experience.

I not aware of any Thai people volunteering to teach for free, maybe it has something to do with the

"I not aware of any Thai people volunteering to teach for free, maybe it has something to do with the

Thai teacher's union having an issue with non-paid volunteers."

Giving freely with no strings attached doesn't seem to be part of the Thai cultural mindset. Even when Thais "give" at the local temples, there is always an expectation that they will get something back (good luck, better life, more money, etc). Giving freely, such as volunteering, is part of the Western mindset. We're raised that way -- Thai's are not. When I volunteer, I want to contribute -- my reward is seeing the success of another human being. It's a personal, intrinsic reward. I makes me feel good. But although I haven't seen a lot of formal 'volunteering', Thai family groups that even extend into entire villages tend to take care of those in need within the community. It's a different type of giving. And that's a type of giving we have sort of lost sight of in the West where it's every man for himself.

• Like 1

He not working. He's volunteering. The Teacher's license would be a moot point along with a Bachelor degee. He's offering to 'chat' as a Native English Speaker -- not teach in the formal sense.

Here's info on the work permits which you will need to volunteer legally: http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/eng/index.html

My suggestion is to really get a grip on the WP process. Draw up a summary of the skills sets you can offer the school (consider teaching the teachers instead of just the kids). Educate the school's administration on the work permit requirements and processes. Go to the MoL site and print out the requirement in Thai and English, and give them the Thai copy. Agree to teach in return for the school assisting you in obtaining the work permit and pay for it yourself -- you are then under no contractual obligation. Don't step a foot into a classroom with out the WP. If they want you bad enough, they'll cut a secretary loose long enough to accompany you to the MoL with the necessary paperwork and documentation (some of it's filled out by you, a lot of it needs to be filled out by the school and written in Thai. Offer them something they really want, but be firm about them working with you to get the WP before the first day of your volunteer work.

If the MoL give you a problem, talk to the head puyai and offer to volunteer to teach English to his staff under the same conditions. Assist in obtaining the proper WP and you'll teach his staff for free.

Treat this like a game. If they want you bad enough, you'll get the WP. If you're married to a Thai national, you can teach on your marriage visa.

"He not working. He's volunteering. The Teacher's license would be a moot point along with a Bachelor degee. He's offering to 'chat' as a Native English Speaker -- not teach in the formal sense. "

Volunteering implies one is performing some work without pay, not that it isn't work.

While there may be some method of exempting certain volunteer work, the point of the law is to prevent the loss of employment opportunities for Thai citizens. If I volunteer to paint some school classrooms for free, that's still work and I am doing something that a Thai painter would expect to be paid to do.

I don't see any mention of the OP offering to chat with anyone and based on his first post I'm not at all sure he's a native English speaker.

(Source: Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare.)

The official definition of “work” in Thailand is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits" (Source: Thai Ministry of Labour).

Edited by Suradit69

fact that you

As a teacher here I just got to say one thing "why" The teachers (Thai) here will just smile think you are some sort of nut job and use you to promote themselves. If you are happy to pay good money out to do this OK. If you really want to help just go out and teach if you can. Plenty of minority groups who will take advantage of your kind offer, use the cash you would of lined the wasters pockets with, to buy books and teaching materials. Good luck. One more thing, remember you are donating your time and money not working.

Well, i respect the fact that you wish to help, and in the village schools they will be grateful just for you to turn up and do it, regardless of documentation.

The downside is that they (behind the smiles) will save money not employing a qualified teacher. Salaries are still in a static state in most schools (not all). 30K 10 years ago and 30K now, More paperwork needed, more expensive to live here, same pittance being offered! Thai teachers (some) are on 50 -55K per month + 11K Bkk (for being experienced). Most schools just want us on the cheap. I, luckily enough, work in a good school with incremental raises every year, but this is not the norm. Usually the gov. fund the schools for foreign teachers, but increases are not passed on, they are kept i think to "top up" tea money.

Good luck with your venture,but i think you will just be "used"!!!!.

As a teacher here I just got to say one thing "why" The teachers (Thai) here will just smile think you are some sort of nut job and use you to promote themselves. If you are happy to pay good money out to do this OK. If you really want to help just go out and teach if you can. Plenty of minority groups who will take advantage of your kind offer, use the cash you would of lined the wasters pockets with, to buy books and teaching materials. Good luck. One more thing, remember you are donating your time and money not working.

Yes exactly. Take the money and then spend it on things for the kids if you really want to. After you see the egos, disorientation, and jealosy, you may decide to keep a bit of the cash and buy yourself a beer lol. Good luck!

I worked with 4 "volunteer" teachers at my full-time secondary school job. Any government school is going to have the pull to get you to volunteer. I! Noticed your original post said nothing about a work permit. If one isn't necessary, get a Thai friend to go with you, even if you speak Thai, and ask to make an appointment with the headmaster/principle. Be patient since a foreigner just walking in and asking for an appointment will undoubtably freak them out. Have your Thai friend state your desire to volunteer. Be absolutely clear that your concept of volunteering does NOT include any kind of compensation. Then there will be several group discussions among the staff, an English-speaker from among the school faculty or staff will probably be called in, yet another one or two group discussion will ensue and eventually someone will either give you an appointment (the best option since many more discussions will be necessary for them to move forward), you will be ushered into somebody's office, or told that it isn't possible if they don't want the bother.

All that said, I taught at a top high school and the kids were the funnest kids I've taught in 29 years as a teacher. My colleagues in the other school were often very frustrated but the non-elite schools are where the greatest need is.

BrianCR, refer to the Teachers forum and query volunteer. You will find the notice from TCT (in Thai) that states volunteers are exempt from many of the TCT requirements including a Teacher's License. The Labor office may well find that ones background and eduction are not suitable for a WP to volunteer at particular school, but that is quit different from requiring a TCT Teachers license. For instance, while I have several graduate degrees and many years of experience teaching adults in my chosen field of work, the Labor office would likely determine that since I have no experience teaching children my background would not benefit the school or kids and therefore no WP. They would likely issue (and have) a work permit to volunteer teach in a Vocational College and/or University. Most volunteers are merely classroom assistants under the direction of a full time teacher and do not manage the classroom or develop teaching plans, etc. The main requirement is Native English Speaker. The problems usually arise when the school/organization will not support a WP by providing adequate documentation.

Would I volunteer to teach at a school within the city of Chiang Mai (or
any other medium to large size city) -- No! They have sufficient
funding to hire a qualified NES.
Would I volunteer to teach at a
school 30+ kilometers up some mountain valley whose student population
is primarily rural farm kids, many who have not spoken to a live NES in
their entire life -- Yes! Those schools have 'jacks**t' for funding.
Will
Thais attempt to take advantage of you -- you bet. It's a game. I
play by my rules or I don't play. But I keep the carrot dangled out
there. In my Thambon, they want me, but I keep turning them down
because they want more than I'm willing to offer. When they finally get
a clue, and work with me on reasonable expectations for volunteer work
and offer solid assistance with the work permit -- I'll help and rural
kids will benefit. If they want to beat around the bush and play games
with me -- fine. Their loss. We play by my rules or we don't play.

• Like 1

Thai law does allow it.

training and experience.

"I not aware of any Thai people volunteering to teach for free, maybe it has something to do with the

Thai teacher's union having an issue with non-paid volunteers."

Giving freely with no strings attached doesn't seem to be part of the Thai cultural mindset. Even when Thais "give" at the local temples, there is always an expectation that they will get something back (good luck, better life, more money, etc). Giving freely, such as volunteering, is part of the Western mindset. We're raised that way -- Thai's are not. When I volunteer, I want to contribute -- my reward is seeing the success of another human being. It's a personal, intrinsic reward. I makes me feel good. But although I haven't seen a lot of formal 'volunteering', Thai family groups that even extend into entire villages tend to take care of those in need within the community. It's a different type of giving. And that's a type of giving we have sort of lost sight of in the West where it's every man for himself.

I'm an American Buddhist monk.. I sometimes go to the local schools and read stories to the students or sometimes just chat with them and explain some of their English studies and home work. Free of course. The principles of the schools love it, the Thai English teachers, not so much. But being a monk, they don't give me any crap. I personally think volunteering for anything is a good thing, giving back to your communtiy. smile.png I can remember when I was a young kid in school, a carpenter would come into our wood shop class and explain what he did and how he did it. Our shop teacher thought it was a great way for us kids to learn real world hands on experience.