Two Elephants Fight To The Death At Jomtien Elephant Park

webfact

Two Elephants fight to the death at Jomtien Elephant Park

elephant-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Thursday Morning two male elephants fought to the death at a popular Elephant Park in Na-Jomtien as workers and tourists looked on, powerless to stop the two large mammals who were reportedly fighting over a female elephant who was ready to mate.

The fight was between a 30 year old elephant named as “Pai Noi”, who had been purchased from a park in Surin Province for the purpose of mating with the female elephant at the Khao Chi Chan Elephant Park in Na-Jomtien, and “Pai Sombong” aged 69, who transports tourists around the park on a daily basis.

As the younger elephant broke free from chains in the morning as staff prepared the mammals for the day ahead, the fight began and workers were powerless to stop them and could only ensure that tourists were kept well-away from the battle which took place.

The older elephant sustained a fatal wound to the stomach which exposed his intestines. “Pai Sombong” collapsed and later in the morning, died. “Pai Noi” was shot with a tranquilizer dart and chained to a tree before regaining consciousness.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/83642/elephants-fight-death-jomtien-elephant-park/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-04-19

The tusk are good luck for who? They are not good luck for the thousands of elephants have have been killed for their ivory, and not good luck for the next thousand that will be killed.

Agreed, the tranquilizers should have been used earlier. What if the elephants were attacking people? Dont the handlers take any precautions, or just sit in the shade?

• Like 1

Happens in the wild all the time, that's how evolution works. I don't think there is someone standing by with tranquillizer darts just in case, and the chemical in them is severely regulated to prevent abuse. It's good to keep them under lock and key.

The above story needs a bit more info:
- The young elephant was the one that got loose and attacked the old one, who never stood a chance as he was chained on all 4 legs with front legs tightly chained up against one and other. He could not move more than one meter to the left or the right and was therefore killed without any chance of fighting back. (see photos hereunder)
- People all run for cover including tourists and children. As it was during the lunch time there were luckily not too many people around.
- The chain wasn’t broken. One of the mahouts declared he did not tie up the knot properly as he went for lunch,he probably just didn’t want to tie it too tight as he had to remove it after lunch again.
- Examples of poor management and care at tourist elephant camps is horrible in Thailand, often resulting in human causalities, this time an old male elephant died due to the lack of proper care and a poor safety management.

More info on: http://www.wfft.org/elephants/male-elephant-killed-at-pattaya-elephant-camp/

Edited by Wildliferescue
  • Like 2

These animal based attractions are totally and utterly shameful and should be closed down by law. And then the ex-owners could be chained to a tree for public humiliation.

Can't agree more. Saw about a dozen chained eliphants near Kanchanaburi all exhibiting signs of captivity and boredom like rocking, repetitive motions of the head. Very sad.

These animal based attractions are totally and utterly shameful and should be closed down by law. And then the ex-owners could be chained to a tree for public humiliation.

With all due respect BPB what has elephants fighting have to do with elephant camps? Elephants kill one another in wild do they not?

Animal based attractions can work when the people that own and run these attractions do so with the welfare of the animals in mind.

A blanketed statement such as the one you posted does little to explain why you feel this way. Which you have the right to say. I could easily say such empty statements about almost anything I don't agree with. For instance most people that cage birds as pets should free the birds and then put the owners of the birds in tight little cages for the birds amusement.

With all due respect BPB what has elephants fighting have to do with elephant camps? Elephants kill one another in wild do they not?

Animal based attractions can work when the people that own and run these attractions do so with the welfare of the animals in mind.

A blanketed statement such as the one you posted does little to explain why you feel this way. Which you have the right to say. I could easily say such empty statements about almost anything I don't agree with. For instance most people that cage birds as pets should free the birds and then put the owners of the birds in tight little cages for the birds amusement.

in the wild one of the elephants wouldnt have been tied to a tree with chains wrapped around its feet unable to move or defend itself from the younger elephant.

There was a touristbkilled last year by an elephant on heat so what are they doing bringing elephants on heat into a tourist attraction. ?......greed of coarse

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That tranquilizer dart would have come in handy a bit earlier on one would think.

Anyway, it happens. Happens with most animals, including humans actually.

No Winniie ... sorry but this was a real stupid call on them to bring in a younger male to mate while a much older one is already there as the Alpha ... Totally stupid move from them ... And why didn't they use the tranquilizer immediately ..../?? Because they enjoyed seing a bull fight and blood ... Norma Humans Nah...?? Same same with a gory car accident ... everybody stops to see the gore and blood ... same .. same.. but different

Oye!!

Happens in the wild all the time, that's how evolution works. I don't think there is someone standing by with tranquillizer darts just in case, and the chemical in them is severely regulated to prevent abuse. It's good to keep them under lock and key.

Oh {lease get real will you !!

You better tell Brigitte Bardot

Just go away ... And yes before my other dear posters say it I AM BEING IMPOLITE AND RUDE AND HAPPY TO DO SO!!

The fighting has nothing to do with my comments. Nor does the death for that matter. I just think that venues like this should be closed down and this seemed like a good occasion to say so.

If people want to have proper animal refuges, in the country, where the creatures can be left in peace to do whatever it is they do then that's fine by me. But not when they chain them up in built-up areas, abuse them and make them do tricks for commercial gain.

Indeed, but this is not common in developing countries.

For instance most people that cage birds as pets should free the birds and then put the owners of the birds in tight little cages for the birds amusement.

Sounds good to me.

• Like 1

That tranquilizer dart would have come in handy a bit earlier on one would think.

No Winniie ... sorry but this was a real stupid call on them to bring in a younger male to mate while a much older one is already there as the Alpha ... Totally stupid move from them ... And why didn't they use the tranquilizer immediately ..../?? Because they enjoyed seing a bull fight and blood ... Norma Humans Nah...?? Same same with a gory car accident ... everybody stops to see the gore and blood ... same .. same.. but different

Oye!!

The alpha in elephant herds is a female, and a herd comprises of females and baby elephants only. All males wander off and lead solitary lives.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Especially so many times back to back.

• Like 1

No it doesn't. Elephants are aggressive in these situations but in the wild the extra space usually prevents fatalities.

That they become violent is well known and to leave these animals in a position where they can break free and fight is just the result of appalling management.

Heads should roll as a result of this.

• Like 1

Oye!!

The alpha in elephant herds is a female, and a herd comprises of females and baby elephants only. All males wander off and lead solitary lives.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Especially so many times back to back.

young males a forced out of the herd when they get big,mama,s and aunties and calfs are the herd,i was in in khao yai national park a 3 weeks ago,and could here the elephants at night the sound was awesome,, in the morning a lone bull walked into the camping area,which was a shock for the park rangers, they managed it well ,to few people to move there cars and get out of your tents,and keeep your distance from him ,this bull was in musk my kids said daddy ,he has got 5 legs,whistling.gif ,,what a great trip,,,shows ,/camps are not not normal,a lot of big males together in small area,,this i not the first time and want be the last.TIT ,sorry to say,and the elephant is a national symbol for the kingdom,coffee1.gif