Why Not Call A Spade A Spade ?

jbrain

"I assume that is Bangkok your talking about ?"

No I am in Pattaya.

I've got a shovel exactly like that.... probably same brand judging by the sticker in your photo. It's all steel, including the handle.... and 1m long.

That's the standard cheap shovel they sell at most Thai hardware stores.... from memory about 200 baht or so. It is not suitable for digging holes though as it can easily bend if you hit something hard.

No I am in Pattaya.

I've got a shovel exactly like that.... probably same brand judging by the sticker in your photo. It's all steel, including the handle.... and 1m long.

That's the standard cheap shovel they sell at most Thai hardware stores.... from memory about 200 baht or so. It is not suitable for digging holes though as it can easily bend if you hit something hard.

the metal handles of cheap shovels and spades can be strengtened by applying (rubbing in) flaxseed oil, dosage ½ a teaspoon per linear foot.

crazy.gif

• Like 2

No I am in Pattaya.

the metal handles of cheap shovels and spades can be strengtened by applying (rubbing in) flaxseed oil, dosage ½ a teaspoon per linear foot.

crazy.gif

No it can''t.

No I am in Pattaya.

crazy.gif

No it can''t.

you didn't rub hard enough!

• Like 1

Thanks for the True Value suggestion, however I'm a bit cheap and find 900 Baht a bit expensive for something I will need probably only once and will give me blisters right away as well.

So any suggestions to something more reasonable in price are still welcome.

Nobody wants to rent out one ?biggrin.png

One time? Hire a Thai gardener.

Thanks for the True Value suggestion, however I'm a bit cheap and find 900 Baht a bit expensive for something I will need probably only once and will give me blisters right away as well.

So any suggestions to something more reasonable in price are still welcome.

Nobody wants to rent out one ?biggrin.png

One time? Hire a Thai gardener.

Don't you think that would cost me a multiple of a true value shovel ?

I have one exactly like in the OP's photo, but cannot remember now where I bought it. I would have presumed it was homepro or maybe a gardening shop out near JJ market.

Also have the square faced one for sand and loose dirt, picks up big full loads.

I would love a post hole shuvel from home though, ideal for digging post holes along with a crow bar. It has a very long wooden handle.

I see the Thais on the side of the roads some times digging post holes with this 2 handled thing which opens and closes and grabs the dirt down below. But, there is always 3 people using it, one guy throws it down the hole, the second grabs the dirt and pulls it up, the third empties it and hands it to the first guy. Talk about overkill.

• 2 weeks later...

Found your spade, in Home Works. Same as I bought before, but the blade seems to be a bit better, and it didnt bend, when I tried it in the store. Its only about one meter long, and 128 baht. Of course if your only 4'5", then its a good length for you!

Found your spade, in Home Works. Same as I bought before, but the blade seems to be a bit better, and it didnt bend, when I tried it in the store. Its only about one meter long, and 128 baht. Of course if your only 4'5", then its a good length for you!

Yeah I've seen them but as you say if you're 4'5" tall/short.

Homepro have one at 179 Baht which is probably 20 cm longer and looks also decent, but I still keep looking for one with a wooden handle at reasonable price.

By the way, wooden handles which fit in a scrubbing brush or a wiper also seem to be a rarity overhere.

Have several brushes with the vinyl clad steel handle and which all have broken because of rust, just can't manage to find wooden ones to replace them.

The wood that they use for handles, seems to be as heavy as solid iron, or maybe im just getting too old to lift it! Yeah, the steel handles for brushes or mops are just crap, but then so is most other things here.

Yeah I've seen them but as you say if you're 4'5" tall/short.

Homepro have one at 179 Baht which is probably 20 cm longer and looks also decent, but I still keep looking for one with a wooden handle at reasonable price.

By the way, wooden handles which fit in a scrubbing brush or a wiper also seem to be a rarity overhere.

Have several brushes with the vinyl clad steel handle and which all have broken because of rust, just can't manage to find wooden ones to replace them.

Try the mom and pop hardware shops.

But be careful what you ask for...

As a Yorkshireman I feel the need to explain the difference between a shovel and a spade, cheesy.gif

A spade has a strong blade and is used for digging straight down and taking chunks out of the ground.

A shovel has a larger blade and curved up edges it is used for shovelling coal and such into the firebox of your Locomotive for example

I learnt that from watching 'Ripping Yarns' when I were a lad biggrin.png

And don't even dare to ask if I lived in a paper bag in t' lake tongue.png

Agreed as an ex farm boy spade for digging post holes and shovel for shoveling cow and pig sh1t.

Only place I have seen spades is in Home Pro from time to time, German made but expensive.

Edited by marstons

So much quicker with a JCB and no splinters in your hands. Next time you see one pass, wave him down, probably cheaper than a quality spade smile.png

That is not a bad idea.

Do you also have some suggestions about who gonne repair the approximate 400 m² of lawn the jcb will have destroyed to reach the location where the job has to be done? smile.png

There are also spades that have flat ends, in fact, many of them do (the common misconception about spades having points probably comes from the card suit). So what is right?

A spade is a specific type of shovel that is designed for digging in hard ground and generally, but not always, has a bladed (but not pointed) end. All spades are shovels, but all shovels are not spades - a snow shovel is a good example of a shovel that is not a spade. SAME SAME but different .

• 7 months later...

50 pieces on where to buy a spade. Anyway, durying my 40 years in construction, one day two irishmen came to me for part time work,told them there were two shovels leaning againts the beer shed and to get digging.One of the irishmen asked me which one was his to use, I told him to take a pick. He walked off the job an hour later because he said he couldnt find one.

• 5 months later...

I was going to ask Rimmer to pass on my regards to Lister & the Cat. Anyone still viewing this posting in mid 2014? If so I am still after a spade.

Spades are for digging ground. They are made from strong tempered steel, are sharp and do not bend or break. You stand on them with one foot to force them into the ground. Shovels are light and NOT for digging. They are for shovelling and come in various shapes and handles for various types of shovelling. Use a shovel as a spade & it will bend or break sooner or later. Spades only have short D handles. Shovels can have short D handles (like a D on it's side) or long handles for throwing stuff a long way. Shovels also come in round mouth & square mouth. Do a google images search and dondt ask me about Thai hoes!!!

post-184549-0-09687300-1403310768_thumb.

Edited by The Deerhunter