Why Not Call A Spade A Spade ?

jbrain

gardenspade.jpg This is what I want to buy. So today I went to three major hardware stores being Home pro, Global House and Hardware House in Sriracha, and all they have are midget spades. I mean spades with a total lenght of approx 70 cm where you have to go sit on your knees to use it. They are made out of one piece steel, spade and handle, so it is not a simple issue of switching to a longer wooden handle.

How anyone can work with such a short spade ?

So can anyone point me to a place where they sell a normal lenght spade or at least one with a wooden handle that can be changed to a longer one if neccessary.

Please no guesses about possible locations, only hard facts please.

• Like 1

I purchased a US made spade exactly the same as your picture at True Value opposite Lotus, I think it was around 900 baht , very strong, well made and easy to use because of the shape of the blade.

Thanks for the True Value suggestion, however I'm a bit cheap and find 900 Baht a bit expensive for something I will need probably only once and will give me blisters right away as well.

So any suggestions to something more reasonable in price are still welcome.

Nobody wants to rent out one ?biggrin.png

I bought a "spade" in Home Pro Pattaya (next to old Carrefour) in December last year. 399 baht on offer.

Closest I have seen to a "western" style spade. Narrower digging part but full length (I am over 6' tall) and well constructed with some sort of epoxy resin type handle. From memory made in Germany.

Used extensively and can reccomend it.

Dont buy a spade from Home Works, (sometimes they have them in stock), I had been looking for a spade, and finally found one in HW, but when I got it home, it bent like cardboard! Havent you noticed, Thai use s hoe, (not the hoe from beach road) Labor is cheap, so they dont need to develop anything. I would like a long handled shovel, so I dont break my back. The wood that they use for handles here is also as heavy as iron.

Dont buy a spade from Home Works, (sometimes they have them in stock), I had been looking for a spade, and finally found one in HW, but when I got it home, it bent like cardboard! Havent you noticed, Thai use s hoe, (not the hoe from beach road) Labor is cheap, so they dont need to develop anything. I would like a long handled shovel, so I dont break my back. The wood that they use for handles here is also as heavy as iron.

I know I have a hoe, but would still need to buy such a basket in that case, and it isn't really practical if you have to bend and veer up constantly to fill bags.

So what you bought at Homeworks, does it look like the one in the picture but at normal lenght ?

I would need it to fill some bags with sand, and which probably will happen only once in this lifetime, so if it's destroyed after a few hours is no big issue.

Sounds like a job for a shovel with a very long handle if you don't want to bend. Even Western spades are just a little over a metre long. And buy some gloves to prevent blisters. Those Thai made thingis made from wool and with rubber on the grip are good. 100 Baht.

Was going to suggest True Value, they stock a few different shovels.

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=99

Great info on True Value stores! biggrin.png

Looks like they have your shovel.

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product_popup.php?id=745

PS the phrase you used in the title has racial overtones in the US so i'll just call it a "shovel" biggrin.png

i would have endorsed the True Value suggestion as i have also bought what i call a long handled plumbers shovel there too, for about 900 baht plus they will have a fibreglass handle that only a idiot using the shovel for as a crowbar will break.

Incidently if "the phrase you used in the title has racial overtones in the US " , how many suites does a pack of cards have in the US if you don't mean to offend ? In theory i don't agree with any racist language but playing bridge or poker you must ,therefore use a racist term. Sorry off subject.

The shovel I bought in HW looks about like the one in the pic, but with a metal handle. It might fill one sand bag, but I wouldnt count on two! Fortunately, they dont seem to have them very often, although I cant understand a store called Home Works, wouldnt have a shovel! I guess they would be good for filling sand bags, but not to dig anything. Same as most of the tools in the shops, just made out of soft steel, so cant be used for anything.

As a Yorkshireman I feel I the need to explain the difference between a shovel and a spade,

A spade has a strong blade and is used for digging straight down and taking chunks out of the ground.

A shovel has a larger blade and curved up edges it is used for shovelling coal and such into the firebox of your Locomotive for example

I learnt that from watching 'Ripping Yarns' when I were a lad biggrin.png

And don't even dare to ask if I lived in a paper bag in t' lake

That's also my understanding about a spade, but as I didn't know the word shovel I just entered spade in google images and it came straight up with the picture in the OP.

So yes, in fact I'm looking for a shovel, since I have something that goes for a spade in Thailand already, but that's not usable for my purpose.

Got mine from my local hardware shop on Soi 89/1 off sukhumvit so I guess if you try one of these shops you should find what you are looking for. Full size with wooden handle, been using it for five years now with no problem.

Got mine from my local hardware shop on Soi 89/1 off sukhumvit so I guess if you try one of these shops you should find what you are looking for. Full size with wooden handle, been using it for five years now with no problem.

I assume that is Bangkok your talking about ?

Anyway will have a look at those local hardware shops, in Pattaya.

As a Yorkshireman I feel the need to explain the difference between a shovel and a spade, cheesy.gif

A spade has a strong blade and is used for digging straight down and taking chunks out of the ground.

A shovel has a larger blade and curved up edges it is used for shovelling coal and such into the firebox of your Locomotive for example

And don't even dare to ask if I lived in a paper bag in t' lake tongue.png

Not fair, also tell us what are hoe's for in Yorkshire. :)

As a Yorkshireman I feel the need to explain the difference between a shovel and a spade, cheesy.gif

Thank you, I was confused for a couple of minutes.

Not fair, also tell us what are hoe's for in Yorkshire. smile.png

For watering the garden of course.

• Like 2

JB,

What I have done since I move about 1-2 tons of dirt a year Is Buy the shovel head & have a pipe welded to it. If you get the shovel wih a good handle you still have to put it onto the shaft. Just hollow out the bullshite fiberglass(it will shatter on use anyway) & put it on with 5-30 minute epoxy . The 30 in to 2 hour epoxy is stronger.

The lowdown.:

True value. Very expensive shovels NOT made in the U.S. as advertised.The label that says Made in the USA hides the China stamp underneathe it. And there is no gauranty. I got them to give me a new one after pulling teeth to get them to give me a one time extange. Zero affilliation to true value in the U.S. I checked with the home office in the states.

Sometimes Homeworks , Home Pro carry heavy spades that don't bend. I got fed up with the selection & just get a couple new heads every 2 years when I go back to the staes on vacation. But you can find similar here. Just cut & add a pipe join handle & paint flat black or whatever color to keep the rust from eating up the shovel.

Some of the Mom & Pos shops carry better grades of steel on the shovels. Ditch any fiberglass....Epic fail!

Barry

I have been searching all over Pattaya for my hoe.

Hula hoe.

attachicon.gifHula Hoe.jpg

Yes these are the bee's knees of hoes. I imported mine and haven't seen one anywhere. Ideal for dry hard soil.

I also brought my shovels with me, it is not impossible to replace the handles, I have been doing it for years as my workers were breaking one a week.Total length:146cm, I just measured. If you give a spade of this length to an Englishman he will grab it half way down and get backache. I gave up trying to convince them otherwise years ago. Inever got backache in 40 years of shovelling and digging.

Edited by cooked

"I assume that is Bangkok your talking about ?"

No I am in Pattaya.

JohnC , I now undestand what you mean with wooden handle, English is not my first language.

Thanks to Beardog for explaining. So you have the shovel head, then a steel shovel shaft and at last the very top is the handle and that's wood.

I actually called the shaft a handle as where I come from the shaft would be in wood and there would be no horizontal piece on the top.

So fine, could you tell me what the total lenght is from bottom to top, as it dificult to figure from the picture.

I think it should be at least 1 meter up if you don't want to hurt your back. If you can confirm that I will drive straight up to soi 89/1 tomorrow and go have a look.

JB,

What I have done since I move about 1-2 tons of dirt a year Is Buy the shovel head & have a pipe welded to it. If you get the shovel wih a good handle you still have to put it onto the shaft. Just hollow out the bullshite fiberglass(it will shatter on use anyway) & put it on with 5-30 minute epoxy . The 30 in to 2 hour epoxy is stronger.

The lowdown.:

True value. Very expensive shovels NOT made in the U.S. as advertised.The label that says Made in the USA hides the China stamp underneathe it. And there is no gauranty. I got them to give me a new one after pulling teeth to get them to give me a one time extange. Zero affilliation to true value in the U.S. I checked with the home office in the states.

Sometimes Homeworks , Home Pro carry heavy spades that don't bend. I got fed up with the selection & just get a couple new heads every 2 years when I go back to the staes on vacation. But you can find similar here. Just cut & add a pipe join handle & paint flat black or whatever color to keep the rust from eating up the shovel.

Some of the Mom & Pos shops carry better grades of steel on the shovels. Ditch any fiberglass....Epic fail!

Barry

I will agree with you Beardog , the shovels from True value (chinese made) but i have not seen any better in Thailand yet and they are lightweight but i have been using shovels (long handled plumbers shovels) for landscaping for close on 40 years (but i am getting too old now for that caper) and i use fibreglass handles ones in Oz ,that are also chinese made, but one brand is almost solid fibreglass and there are excellent for both digging and for moving soil. Like i indicated in my previous post the user must know how to use one and not confuse it with a crowbar or don't use it like one of those Thai digging sticks.. I have hired guys who would bend or break a steel handle because they do not know the best way to use a shovel and their brawn outweighs the brain. Use a matock, pick or a crowbar for heavy breaking up of clay , not the shovel ( or use the shovel like a jackhammer and do your digging in small bites ).

I have often thought about bring shovel heads in from Oz too but i like the fibreglass handles myself and i would have to bring them in too .

I have had wooden hickory handled spades too but they are mighty hard to find ,plus expensive , nowdays. An excellent fexible handle.

"I assume that is Bangkok your talking about ?"

No I am in Pattaya.

That is what i would cal a short handled square mouth. No good for digging but is for moving soil or material.

• Like 1